Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO controls suck.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I just returned my G600 MMO mouse for a G500 again, the thing is just too big and you end up with cramps in your pinky after using it, apparently I'm not the only one because many people complain about cramps in their fingers after using both the Naga MMO or the G600 MMO mice.

Using a mouse to game is comfortable if you click a few buttons, but MMO have added too many abilities and became a wack-a-mole game, and now we have these ridiculous contraptions:

They are uncomfortable, they cause pain in the hands of some people, and I find them very annoying to use as a daily mouse when I'm not playing MMO.

Why can't MMO make controls that are not button mashing fests.

Comments

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I use both the G600 and Naga back and forth. I think both of them are great and i never get any cramp from them. They fit very comfortably in my hand. I have had a slight pain in my thumb a few times after extreme gaming sessions (like a week or more of spending the majority of my awake hours mashing the thumb buttons), but that's pretty natural.

I tried the Corsair M90 as well, which looks good on paper, but the buttons were just to hard for me and it was really hard to feel exactly where i was with the thumb.

I tend to only use the first 1-6 buttons on the Naga/G600 since the other ones are really out of reach for comfortable and accurate use. I sometimes use the other ones for trivial tasks that doesn't benefit much from super-reflex-timing (like taking out a mount).

In general i think these mice are a great development. I wish there were more options with well-placed comfortable buttons. I also wish there were more keyboard options like Steelseries Merc. Almost nobody seems to pick up on specialized gaming layouts. I really dislike the layout of the traditional WSAD and i'm pretty sure it's not the optimal gaming layout, especially since it wasn't design for it in the first place.

I have yet to try Mad Catz MMO7 and i'm curious about it. But i'm a bit sceptical. It's a bit overpriced as well.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by timtrack

I have yet to try Mad Catz MMO7 and i'm curious about it. But i'm a bit sceptical. It's a bit overpriced as well.

I was looking at it since it's supposed to be customizable, but it has the same problem the G600 has for me.

From PCWorld: http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/cyborg-mmo-7

"Despite all the customisation, I couldn’t find a way to reduce the overall width of the mouse, and I couldn’t make it comfortable for long stretches of play. It’s not like I have tiny-girl-hands, either, but I could manage no more than two hours at a time. For an MMO mouse, that’s a killer blow. The last thing you want while raiding is a hand cramp."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    MMO mice are horrible IMHO...I use g700 with g13..g700 has 10 easy to access buttons, then you can set the g13 thumbstick to shift or alt or Ctrl or whatever 4 functions you want.. This gives me fast and easy access to 50 abilities on my mouse.. Would never need that many but option is there and easy

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    MMO mice are horrible IMHO...I use g700 with g13..g700 has 10 easy to access buttons, then you can set the g13 thumbstick to shift or alt or Ctrl or whatever 4 functions you want.. This gives me fast and easy access to 50 abilities on my mouse.. Would never need that many but option is there and easy

I always considered a G13 because I could use it with my tablet when drawing, the wacom buttons are clumsy to press.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i absolutly luv my G600 and wont even look at any other mouse.

the prob is MMOmouses have a learning curve and are not for everybody, but for alot of people they are great.

dousnt mean your wrong just that i dont agree with you mouses are like cars everyone has diffrent taste and you should use what your comfterble with.

one question though , how did you pinky get ccramped, you dont use a pinky with MMO mouses?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    errm just use your keyboard like we have for years.. lets not dump mmos down even more.
    one question though , how did you pinky get ccramped, you dont use a pinky with MMO mouses?

the width and size

you can see on this picture that unlike normal mice your ring finger and pinky will not be next to the mouse, only your pinky will  be and it will be far to the side of the mouse, each time you move your mouse (with your pinky by pushing it) you stress your pinky

a normal mouse keeps your hands nicely in a normal position, this mouse seperates your pinky from the rest of your fingers completely because of the extra side button, the size, the bulge on top to fit the extra buttons

after a few weeks that started resulting in cramps in my pinky, once I stopped using the mouse the cramps went away

Originally posted by Caldrin
    errm just use your keyboard like we have for years.. lets not dump mmos down even more.

:p actually i use a MMO mouse and a gameing pad so i hae even more button at my disposal, and i use them for more then just MMOs FPS are great when tehy got alot of weapons and powers tos swap betweeen dont have to take my fingers off movement keys to hit a num button

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

Originally posted by CalmOceans

the width and size

you can see on this picture that unlike normal mice your ring finger and pinky will not be next to the mouse, only your pinky will  be and it will be far to the side of the mouse, each time you move your mouse (with your pinky by pushing it) you stress your pinky

after a few weeks that started resulting in cramps in my pinky, once I stopped using the mouse the cramps went away

hmm now that you mention it i do vaguely rember something like that but i just figured it was due to a diffrence in position my hand wasnt used to, never rally gots cramps just a little sore every now and then the first week i used it.

of course since im a prof cook,miniture painter, and trained masseuse i have pretty strong finger muscles. so i might have taken less time to adjust

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Squeak69

:p actually i use a MMO mouse and a gameing pad so i hae even more button at my disposal, and i use them for more then just MMOs FPS are great when tehy got alot of weapons and powers tos swap betweeen dont have to take my fingers off movement keys to hit a num button

well dont get me wrong my mouse has 8 buttons but thats all  i need on my mouse... ive been gaming for years so im pertty fast at hitting keys no the keyboard and i tend to re-map keys that i need close to my fingers..

I dont see the need to have half a keyboard on a mouse tho haha :)

you really can't raid by using keyboard controls, even on my G500 I need all the buttons I can get to launch abilities, keyboard is way too slow

you really can't raid by using keyboard controls, even on my G500 I need all the buttons I can get to launch abilities, keyboard is way too slow

agreed even though its only a few sec takeing your fingers off the mouse or movement keys is long enough ta fgall behiond or get ya killed

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

I just returned my G600 MMO mouse for a G500 again, the thing is just too big and you end up with cramps in your pinky after using it, apparently I'm not the only one because many people complain about cramps in their fingers after using both the Naga MMO or the G600 MMO mice.

Using a mouse to game is comfortable if you click a few buttons, but MMO have added too many abilities and became a wack-a-mole game, and now we have these ridiculous contraptions:

They are uncomfortable, they cause pain in the hands of some people, and I find them very annoying to use as a daily mouse when I'm not playing MMO.

Why can't MMO make controls that are not button mashing fests.

Goddamed right! The last thing we need in MMOs are more choices. Lets sieve the control and power sets down to three buttons so these poor people don't get all tuckered out by having to "work" too hard in a video game.

Since millions of people apperently play these kinds of game daily without screaming for mercy I'm thinking the real problem is less the games controls sucking and more these new mice are poorly designed ergonomically.

So sorry but I find your bashing and demanding a change for the entire gaming control structure just so you don't have to worry about cramps in your pinky to be more than a bit unreasonable. Doubly so when I remember you are the person who was touting how wonderful it was your guild banned parents with younger children due to it messing with your raid schedual. Nice to see when its someone else with an issue they need to suck it up and get with the program, but when you find yourself in a situation where something doesn't go your way the whole world needs to stop what its doing and dance for your pleasure.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Goddamed right! The last thing we need in MMOs are more choices. Lets sieve the control and power sets down to three buttons so these poor people don't get all tuckered out by having to "work" too hard in a video game.

Since millions of people apperently play these kinds of game daily without screaming for mercy I'm thinking the real problem is less the games controls sucking and more these new mice are poorly designed ergonomically.

So sorry but I find your bashing and demanding a change for the entire gaming control structure just so you don't have to worry about cramps in your pinky to be more than a bit unreasonable. Doubly so when I remember you are the person who was touting how wonderful it was your guild banned parents with younger children due to it messing with your raid schedual. Nice to see when its someone else with an issue they need to suck it up and get with the program, but when you find yourself in a situation where something doesn't go your way the whole world needs to stop what its doing and dance for your pleasure.

wow

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

wow

Well sorry, but when you post in such absoloutes, rather immature and inciting thread title, seeming to think that because something doesn't work for you then it can't work for anyone else, that's about the best your going to get from me.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Dig out the ol' G9 again. Can't go wrong with a classic.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

To hell with mice.

Let's start working on holodecks!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by DMKano

Those mice are terrible - I use a nostromo and mechanical keyboard, and a comfy mouse.

The side buttons on a mouse are just not for me.

Yeah I've got an old Wolf King Warrior game pad and I love it, but its about worn out. I'm looking at upgrading to either a Nostromo or a Razer Orbweaver.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    I use a simple two-button mouse.  It works.  If you need access to a lot of keys at once, that's what keyboards are for.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Quizzical
    I use a simple two-button mouse.  It works.  If you need access to a lot of keys at once, that's what keyboards are for.

Yup.

For games that "require" instant access to more than 88 abilities in order to be competitive - I don't play them competitively.

I mean, after all, I used to play games like this at one point in my life, and at another point in my life pretty much played by slash commands in the console - I can get used to pretty much any keyboard commands.

But basically, if it requires more than 5-6 main abilities to be on at instant notice, I stay away from it. After years and years of playing, I just am not into the extremely reflexive, whack-a-mole, Dance Dance Revolution style gaming where you have to match the correct response to some boss/pvp encounter from 88+ proper keyboard commands any more.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I mean, after all, I used to play games like this at one point in my life, and at another point in my life pretty much played by slash commands in the console - I can get used to pretty much any keyboard commands.

That EQ slash command list brought back memories, horrible horrible memories!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Quizzical

i find this ok for traditional MMO combat but action I much prefer having some sort of gaming mouse.. the g700 is great has 10 buttons all easily accessable unlike some MMO mice imho.. but when positioning and dodging are big aspects of combat anything that takes your fingers away from your movement keys is putting you at a disadvantage especailly in PVP

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KillerhamKillerham Member UncommonPosts: 17

Oh yea? Well all of you cant even get close to my mouse!

/cry
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I ran into this problem a lot.  There are work arounds if the game you play has a flexible keybind system.  Try and set up keybinds so you have easy access to modifiers (alt, ctrl, shift) then bind your keyboard accordingly. 

So, for example, bind alt and cntrl to mouse button 1 and mouse button 2.  Then, set up your abilities as

Ctrl +1, Ctrl +2, Ctrl +3, Ctrl +4, Ctrl +5

Alt +1, Alt +2, Alt +3, Alt +4, Alt +5

You can also throw in quick access keys like Q,E,R,C,X,Z and F to these modifiers for even more keybinds.

Its super easy to hold down your mouse button on your right hand and then click on the keyboard with your left, especially with only a few keys to use.

Additionally, try and use the mouse wheel when you can:

In every game I play, I try and change the camera zoom (traditionally mouse wheel up and down) to something like Ctrl + Mousewheel up, Ctrl + Mousewheel down.  Then I rebind the mousewheel to a necessary ability.  Furthermore, you can then throw in the modifier keys to add in even more abilities you can keybind with your mousewheel.

Finally, get use to the F1-F5 keys.  They felt weird to use for me at first but once I started getting use to them, it was complete second nature.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I have a RAT7, I just don't think it is a comfortable mouse because of the button shapes.  The screw points are also uncomfortable.  I do like more then just a 2 button mouse and a scroll wheel, but I only really use 1 side button.  To me, more than 2 side buttons requires too much additional concentration on the mouse to be useful compared to pressing a combination of buttons on the keyboard.

I did see one interesting option for the mouse, a small thumbstick on the side, so you can assign your WASD movements to your mouse instead.