Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Expanding the Sword Coast

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Neverwinter is a game that has many D&D enthusiasts chomping at the bit to play and for good reason. While the game will ship with some great classes and races, one has to wonder if there should somehow be more. We have a few thoughts to share on that score so keep reading and then head to the comments to share your ideas.

So far, Cryptic Studios has announced the five classes that will ship with Neverwinter. There are representatives of each of the roles noted above. So far, Neverwinter players will be able to choose from Control Wizard (control), Trickster Rogue (striker), Devoted Cleric (leader), Greatsword Fighter (defender), and Guardian Fighter (defender).

But there are so many more that must make an appearance in Neverwinter to make the game truly feel like a Dungeons & Dragons game, even for those who refuse to acknowledge that 4th Edition Rules are truly D&D.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: Expanding the Sword Coast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i am a magic mushroom
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Game articles really ought to be written by someone familiar with the game. 

1) There are four offically announced classes, with a fifth to be named.  The Control Wizard used to be the fifth, but recently there has been some cagey lawyer talk that the class hasn't been "officially" announced.  This coincided with the class quietly being removed from the faq.

2) Tieflings are already a launch race.

3) Halfling has vanished from the list of launch races in the recently ninja edited faq, with the half-orce being added.  The reaction from the CM and mods suggests that the omission of the Halfling is "probably" an oversite.

4)  Vanilla Drow was removed from launch races in ninja edit.  Menzo Renegade will be available at launch for Heroe Pack holders, Vanilla Drow will be available "at least" 60 days after launch.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Too many editorials about this game and not enough new news. 

If you read the roles and look at city of heroes, and then look at the way coh's individual powersets worked, you can almost see what they are doing and why, and it's not a good thing.  They make each class like a powerset or a limited subset of similar powersets, so that they can charge out the ass for every slightly differing setup, such as dual wielding fighter, dps wizard, etc etc.  I imagine there will be dozens, yes, dozens of classes in a couple years, each costing at least 10 dollars to buy.

It's essentially the same system as marvel heroes, but it just doesn't make much sense for this type of game. 

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Too many editorials about this game and not enough new news. 

If you read the roles and look at city of heroes, and then look at the way coh's individual powersets worked, you can almost see what they are doing and why, and it's not a good thing.  They make each class like a powerset or a limited subset of similar powersets, so that they can charge out the ass for every slightly differing setup, such as dual wielding fighter, dps wizard, etc etc.  I imagine there will be dozens, yes, dozens of classes in a couple years, each costing at least 10 dollars to buy.

It's essentially the same system as marvel heroes, but it just doesn't make much sense for this type of game. 

Agreed.

That's my concern about this game, especially after seeing how STO worked. It's no secret, they're going to try and bleed people dry.

/sigh

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    This is off of their official forums. Halflings are back on there as well as tieflings.

SECTION V - DESIGN, MECHANICS, AND GAMEPLAYWhat Races are available in Neverwinter?The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, Halfling, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that Menzo-Renegade Drow will be exclusive to Hero of the North Packpurchasers, while regular drow will become available for everyone after 60 days post-launch.

When it comes to classes controll wizards are gone. I'm less than pleased about that.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

And the sad part is that this writer played in the beta so she must have seen tieflings running around in-game, even if she didn't create one herself. And the drow is already announced although i don't know if they gonna pull something low because of menzoberranzan renegade thing. Let's hope not for their sake.

I agree with the other points in the article.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I hope this game eventually expands out toward Baldur's Gate.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I hope this game eventually expands out toward Baldur's Gate.

you could always create it yourself:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

I really hope/wish they would expand on this a lot more. Cryptic isnt really known for having a lot of actual in game diversity though which is why I am leary of this title. The setting/pace is great for a casual fun experience, especially for younger players or 1st time MMO players.

Just the lack of classes/options is not a good thing right now and imo they should double the class choices before launch. Otherwise it appears as another rush due to budgets which can either continue growing at a good clip like DDO or come to a raging halt like... well most Cryptic titles.

Here is to hoping, but not putting in any money until I have a few more beta tests and a better and exact idae on what will be released, when and how.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

@AugustRace

Thanks for the clarifying information. I have placed strategic question marks where things are unclear on the NW site as well as taken out the Tiefling wish. ;)

We all have off days. This one was mine. :|

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Not impressed by how few classes available at "launch".
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by saker

Yup, I think someone there confused launch with paid beta.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Classes

Not impressed by the fact you don't know there are only 25 classes in D&D 4th ed which means they're launching with 1/5th of the classes with maybe 2 more classes coming a few months after release (archer/ranger *?* and warlock).

Equally unimpressed by the fact that the initial article mentioned multiclassing when in the 4th ed you cannot multiclass in the same way as you did in 3rd ed. http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclassing .

How little faith and how much hostility from the community towards Cryptic considering they've traditionally stuck with their games (veteran of Star Trek Online and it is worlds better and deeper than it was at launch).

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

It's better to have 5 polished classes with interesting yet different playstyle, than to hyperproduce classes which are more or less the same.

What worries me is the lack of replayability due to no alternative starting or leveling zones. I'm not really sure that foundry will be able to compensate here.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DeniZg

It's better to have 5 polished classes with interesting yet different playstyle, than to hyperproduce classes which are more or less the same.

What worries me is the lack of replayability due to no alternative starting or leveling zones. I'm not really sure that foundry will be able to compensate here.

foundry will really depend how many people will be dedicated to making stuff for it.. so we'll see if enough are,   it should provide plenty of content to play through for alts if game has enough dedicated foundry junkies.. at launch though i wouldn't expect much.. but 3 months+ down the road after launch well see

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I'd like to play a bugbear or Kobold. Some of those races/classes listed belong to different settings so I am not sure we will see them.

Also just to help with the understanding of roles, in 4e there are different 'power sources'. 4E, at least for a while tried to make a class for each type of 'power'. What I mean is: Arcane and Divine are each a type of power and there are others.

So:

Wizard = Arcane controller.

Swordmage = Arcane defender

Bard = Arcane leader

Warlock = Arcane striker

Likewise:

Druid = Divine controller

Paladin = Divine defender

Cleric = Divine leader

Avenger(batman) = Divine striker.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    The combat is really fun so at the very least the game will serve as a nice alternative for D&D online imho
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Not sure why they would remove halflings, unless it was for animation issues, because they were fully playable in the last beta weekend.

5 classes is fine for launch, I think they are just holding off on the next 3 to make some money immediately at launch by having more popular classes (druids and rangers) as premium content. Considering the game is completely free, you cant really begrudge them that.

I would much rather they have solid polished launch and then add to that, rather than diluting the game with half baked classes and races.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I might play this game if I can roll a Batman.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    No intentions on playing this game, but I do love the concept of the Wilden in the Destroyer's Aspect.

Originally posted by DJMantiss

Yup, I think someone there confused launch with paid beta.

its free to play in case you didnt notice...i dont think you can apply the same standards and expectations to a free t play game without box cost

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

First, a little research might have informed the author about 4th Ed a little. It was designed to fit the MMO style of gaming that had become popular to try and draw in some of the MMO crowd who were raised on EQ and think role playing is calling someone "noob".

1 second please (drinks some Geritol)

Ok anyway, so the fact that Neverwinter is using 4th Ed rules is no mystery and in fact it makes perfect sense considering how 4th Ed was designed to be a pen n paper MMO.

(Turns up the oxygen tank) - Sorry again, you know, old gamer here. I'm like Batman in Kingdom Come, can't game without an exoskeleton.

As for Cryptic, there is no doubt they put a lot of work into their games and make pretty good structural MMO's, but they do not have a good record with IP. I know there are STO fans out there, but they lost me when my Federation officer looted a corpse. The Federation does not goo that. Its too gamey and Neverwinter will likely be tooo gamey. It won't flow well and immersion will be down. I knowo that seems like an old fashioned concept but some suspension of disbelief is required or you may as well be playing BattleCallofDutyMedal... or whatever the latest shooter is.

Okay, off to eat my old man mush. Talk amongst yourselfs, just stay off my lawn.

Just My 2 Lunars

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I plan on trying this game out at launch, though I especially look forward to seeing how Cryptic handles the D&D mythos down the road. Hopefully it is better than what Turbine has done with their D&D mmo.
    the one thing that truly bothers me about the game is the rooting during combat..it completly kills the dynamic combat for me, makes it very static and "non dynamic" and boring...the one advantage that "action combat" over tactical combat has is its dynamic, if you take that away you just have a dumbed down boring combat system with very few options