Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is AoC's population growing NOW? (18 Feb 2013)

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by si2zle
    One word. Steam.

Agreed.

Age of Conan: Unchained - Tortage Survival Pack is listed as #4 DLC for MMOs, #2 for F2P on Steam, so Ill go out on a limb and say other monies are being spent also i.e. subscriptions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218180/

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    The annoncement that Arnold Schwartzenegger is scheduled to reprise his role as an old "King Conan" in a new movie may have piqued interest in the game, but quite likely is the generally positive press surrounding TSW.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by DaSpack

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo..

Probably... since it's f2p now, and there are no boxes out there to buy it'd be strange to go b2p :)

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Is the new crafting system in place yet?

nope, probably next update 4.1 or 4.2 I suppose

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo.. But would be great with a new starter area.

New starter area? First I have heard a thing about that. It would have to be pretty sweet to compete at all with Tortage. It would be nice to have a new starter area though, as long as it doesn't focus on desert terrain. B2P is what I am really waiting on. I would like to play the expansion but I don't want to sub just to do it. So I just knock around the rest of the game. I might break down and pick up a game card or 2 off Amazon if I get antsy.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50
    I'm honestly not sure, as I've never played the game. I did look it up and do some reading after seeing your post, and I'm downloading it now. 
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    I had a lot of fun with AoC when I tried it out, not just a great f2p model but it's also just a really fun game in general. If not for Vanguard which is a little more oldschool which I prefer, I would still be playing AoC full time. Indeed I do still log on every once in awhile just Vanguard takes up all my time these days. Both are great games with great f2p models and fun and immersive gameplay unlike 95% of all the other modern day mmo's these days that baby their players.
  • VyllynVyllyn Member Posts: 10
    ... the pvp is shit? are you high? or are you pissed off u cant tab target, spam cool downs, win in this game? AOC has the most complex and hard to master combat in anygame ever let alone a MMO. To top it off what other game can u rip the heads off of the players u kill or stomp thire head into the ground like in american history x. nuff said.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    One word. Steam.

Agreed.

Age of Conan: Unchained - Tortage Survival Pack is listed as #4 DLC for MMOs, #2 for F2P on Steam, so Ill go out on a limb and say other monies are being spent also i.e. subscriptions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218180/

Funcom should figure out a subscription package for all their games like a Sony Station Pass.  I would be more likely to sub for an extended period of time if I had premium status in any of their games I logged into.  They could have a very attractive package with AO, AoC, and TSW if they put a little more love into AO.

For $15 per month, no multi-month discounts, you get premium access to all their games.  You can only be logged into one game at a time so why should they care which one it is.

I guess they can´t do the multipass thing with AoC because of different publisher deals or something, but I´d like that too.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56

I'm playing thanks to f2p steam.

As I've been pretty bored with most games lately, me and a friend browsed steam for f2p mmos, we tried out LOTRO (not really impressed) and DDO (had some potential but my friend didn't seem to like it that much) amongst others. then we tried out AOC. Easy best out of the games we tried, in fact it seems really really good. I guess this game took a massive dent with the whole release fiasko, and for that alot of people will never see what a good game it is.

morale of the story: release when ready :)

I'm just lvl 12 on my tos, but im still interested and wanna keep playing, and thats more then I can say about the other f2p titles we tried out.

Originally posted by Sluske

I'm playing thanks to f2p steam.

I'm just lvl 12 on my tos, but im still interested and wanna keep playing, and thats more then I can say about the other f2p titles we tried out.

It seems it was a good idea for FC to appear on steam. It's almost a week now, and you can still see new players arriving to Tortage and asking about the cloak claim. Those who started during the weekend are already at the group quests in the Valley or looking group for Sanctum and it seems they're planning to stay for some more.

While I never liked steam, this was a nice pull from FC and steam :)  the game is crowded again.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Vannor
    One word. Steam.

Spot on.

That must have happened today or yesterday

since 22 Feb 2013

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    Originally posted by Vannor
    One word. Steam.

Spot on.

That must have happened today or yesterday

since 22 Feb 2013

not only because of steam. AoC have been growing a good month and a half before it got on steam. I think there is a new word of mouth thing going on about the game after the dragon spine adition.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Tsw adopted gw2 payment model.this probably brought lot of player and those probably checked fun on various title.
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Tsw adopted gw2 payment model.this probably brought lot of player and those probably checked fun on various title.

good one.. smart move from fun if that was intentional.

The Ultimate Breakdown

I checked the chart and I see that AA is still locked.  That's not very fun in my opinion.

If you don't.. I think you must have 0 Funcom points. Only way to get there is that you never ever have spent a single dime on them. The game get regular content patched in so why not support them if you want post level 80 content.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Nvm.

Steam: Neph

I checked the chart and I see that AA is still locked.  That's not very fun in my opinion.

If you don't.. I think you must have 0 Funcom points. Only way to get there is that you never ever have spent a single dime on them. The game get regular content patched in so why not support them if you want post level 80 content.

There is some truth at Torvaldr, AA is sub only, it doesn't matter if you've "ever spent a single dime" or not. On my main acc I have the Rise of the Grindbringer expansion ( :) ) but I play with my other acc atm, so my main isn't subscribed. AA is locked on that. The boxes I already unlocked are slottable, but I cannot put xp or time to unlock new ones.

I don't think it's a big restriction, never liked AA much anyways :) and for the base Adventures in Hyboria you don't really need AA, default feat tree is just fine.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Because there are a lot of people that aren't interested in what's currently out, or got burned by the GW2/SWtOR hype, and just want something free and easy to try for a while.  Unlike a lot of other MMO's, AoC still has decent graphics which immediately put it ahead of the line.

Unfortunately for the playerbase, I wouldn't expect any sort of population explosion to last very long.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Because there are a lot of people that aren't interested in what's currently out, or got burned by the GW2/SWtOR hype, and just want something free and easy to try for a while.  Unlike a lot of other MMO's, AoC still has decent graphics which immediately put it ahead of the line.

Unfortunately for the playerbase, I wouldn't expect any sort of population explosion to last very long.

AoC have top graphics among all the latest MMO titles. AoC have Dx11, and characters in game have best motion captured animations. Characters have 218 moveable bones if I remember corectly. No other MMO are close even. TSW is like 1/2 of that GW2 also way behind... Lets just get that straight.

Talking about the AA points... You can play AoC for free with no restrictions for a very very very long time. AA points or not is no restriction. There are dungeons you would need them way past level 80 but that is into endgame anyways, so I guess at that point you could throw some dime FUNCOMs way.. Just to get the next content update out the door :)

FUNCOM need new starter area RIGHT NOW!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

AoC have top graphics among all the latest MMO titles. AoC have Dx11, and characters in game have best motion captured animations. Characters have 218 moveable bones if I remember corectly. No other MMO are close even. TSW is like 1/2 of that GW2 also way behind... Lets just get that straight.

Talking about the AA points... You can play AoC for free with no restrictions for a very very very long time. AA points or not is no restriction. There are dungeons you would need them way past level 80 but that is into endgame anyways, so I guess at that point you could throw some dime FUNCOMs way.. Just to get the next content update out the door :)

I don't remember the animations being all that special, but ok.

At any rate, did they get rid of the class restrictions for the F2P stuff?  Last time I tried it, you could only play a few classes.

You make me like charity

At any rate, did they get rid of the class restrictions for the F2P stuff?  Last time I tried it, you could only play a few classes.

4 classes were free, but that was before the revamp. They revamped the f2p model a couple months ago. I think that revamp started to bring in some new players in game, alongside with TSW and Dragon's Spine media appearances. And then steam pressed the "Turbo boost" button :)

Originally posted by Po_gg

4 classes were free, but that was before the revamp. They revamped the f2p model a couple months ago. I think that revamp started to bring in some new players in game, alongside with TSW and Dragon's Spine media appearances. And then steam pressed the "Turbo boost" button :)

That very well may get me to try the game again.  Good to see they readjusted some things.

You make me like charity

They opened that up yes. So head over to that poll and vote up a new starter area for AoC.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by Po_gg

That very well may get me to try the game again.  Good to see they readjusted some things.

Not just some things http://www.ageofconan.com/playfree/

Basically you can play free the whole game up until Khitai, and you'll only miss a few raids, some inventory slots, and your gold will be limited to 10 G.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Because the game has some old world features (complexity), but mixes it up with a somewhat action/tab hybrid. The gritty world doesn't hurt either.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011