Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World & Win8

UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I recently updated my system to Windows 8, it was on a really cheap offer so I thought what the hell.. Anyway, I've recently picked up The Secret World again and I've never seen so many crashes to desktop. Is this normal now or is it having a problem with Windows 8? I'm currently in the second part of Egypt and it's crashing so much it's becoming unplayable.

A quick example: side quest to kill a bunch of sand golems then go in a cave and kill the guy controlling them. I walk into the area and crash to desktop. Reload, fight a few golems, when they break up they do this really crazy thing where they disperse into thousands of particles that slow my computer to a crawl. I get closer to the cave, crash to desktop. Log back in, find I've been killed while out, run back to corpse, approach the cave. Wait a minute so the golem can path around, crash to desktop, come back, find I've been killed again, run back to corpse, kill golem, enter cave, kill bad guy, crash to desktop, come back, find I'm dead from the respawn, hit jump to Agartha and get the hell out of there.

And that's not an exaggeration, that's exactly what happened. I came back later, near the dungeon quest giver, and did a little side quest. Ran up to a door with torches that I had to click on, crashed to desktop, figured the respawn would kill me so didn't even bother logging back in.

And that's how it's been since I've come back. Most of the problems seem to be coming from this Egypt area though as I've run around other places and it seems fine. What's going on?

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I've never had any problems.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Is Windows 8 even supported?   Specs I have seen don't mention Windows 8 as a supported platform.   I am running Windows 8 64 bit and the game doesn't run great, lag, graphical glitches.  But it's the sort of thing I expect from a Funcom game, in fact it runs better than I expected.  Of course other games run fine without issue.

First step would be to confirm Windows 8 is supported, probably best hitting the official forum to get an official response.  Or email customer services.  There seems to be a quite a lot of discussion about Windows 8 and problems with TSW. 

Like I say I doubt Windows 8 is supported keeping up with technology is not a strong point of Funcom unless it gets them out of bind  (advising users to go to Windows 7 64 bit for AOC because it overcame a memory problem).
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Never Had any issues with windows 8 and tsw.

Possible that its a video driver issue?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Bump down to DX9 in game settings.  Evidently there is a new DX11 build in Win8.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Bump down to DX9 in game settings.  Evidently there is a new DX11 build in Win8.

So Windows 8 is not supported and will be supported with this new DX11 build?

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Ati or Nvidia? I have same issues when i was on Ati.. but on Win7 :)
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

my money would be on windows 8 since it was designed for tablets not cimputers, and has more compatiblity issue then a dead horse has flies.

i wouldnt put windows 8 on my computer even if someone offered to pay me to do it

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

OP have you tried the "Repair Broken Data" from the patcher? It could be a bad RDB. Sadly you don't know which zone your damaged file is in since the files are listed as numbers. 

In the past when I had a bad RDB file in AOC (zone would crash on me or was buggy, laggy) I would delete the files in the RDB folder and repatch. Yeah it is a BIG download. I don't recommend unless you got a fast connection.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• cjtigncjtign Member UncommonPosts: 61

I use windows 8 had similar issues. turn off DX11 and all was fixed. theres a big thread about it on main game forums. DX11 and win 8 don't work together in the game.

Otherwise no issues w/ windows 8 works great.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by cjtign

I use windows 8 had similar issues. turn off DX11 and all was fixed. theres a big thread about it on main game forums. DX11 and win 8 don't work together in the game.

Otherwise no issues w/ windows 8 works great.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. :)

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by cjtign

Weird issue I'd say... IMO Dx11 is Dx1 regardles of the OS it's run on. If I install TSW on my son'x PC (running Vista) it should run fine (given that his PC can even run TSW to start with :p). Under Win7 no issues with Dx11 and now with Win8 there are issues..? Really, Mickey$oft has done a great job there I'd say...

@OP - IMO best ditch Win8 ASAP and get back to what you were running. I hear Vista is even running better than Win8 and that's saying something ;-)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    Is Windows 8 even supported?   Specs I have seen don't mention Windows 8 as a supported platform.   I am running Windows 8 64 bit and the game doesn't run great, lag, graphical glitches.  But it's the sort of thing I expect from a Funcom game, in fact it runs better than I expected.  Of course other games run fine without issue.

First step would be to confirm Windows 8 is supported, probably best hitting the official forum to get an official response.  Or email customer services.  There seems to be a quite a lot of discussion about Windows 8 and problems with TSW. 

Like I say I doubt Windows 8 is supported keeping up with technology is not a strong point of Funcom unless it gets them out of bind  (advising users to go to Windows 7 64 bit for AOC because it overcame a memory problem).

So you've basically been relentlessly bashing Funcom on these forums for about 3 years now... relentlessly for 3 years.  Did someone at that company beat you up, take your lunch money, and steal your girlfriend or something?... because I think it's kind of beyond obsession at this point.  

Hell even i stopped trolling the Mortal Online forums after a couple months.  I think you may have a problem dude.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Reizla

@OP - IMO best ditch Win8 ASAP and get back to what you were running. I hear Vista is even running better than Win8 and that's saying something ;-)

Switching to DX9 seems to have worked, I didn't crash at all last night in the same areas. To be honest though, I like Windows 8, to the point where I rarely go into the desktop area any more. I honestly thought I'd hate it, I've been tapping away on computer keyboards since the ZX81, so a change from the old start bar and folders to this more mobile phone style OS seemed like a stupid idea, but after playing with it I do like it. It needs a few apps and things added to make it more accessible, but overall, colour me impressed.