Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: Mark Jacobs On Subs, RVR, and Sandboxes

• JacobinJacobin Toronto, ONPosts: 697Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

A medieval Planetside 2 with tiered sub rates and a developmentally cheap system of PvP to keep the masses (sorry, niche group) enthralled for years on end? With very little PvE (the traditional staple of rpg progress) to boot? Hmm where have I seen this focus on PvP with PvE lite content before?

• Warhammer Online
    • Global Agenda
    • Darkfall
    • Mortal Online

Every mmo to date needs strong PvE elements worth fighting for. The "great" Shadowbane had sense enough to understand this most basic mmorpg concept. Even DAoC had it's fair share of PvE content that was unique to which ever side you chose to support. Dunno, I just think that many here are too quick to write off tradition without giving thought to MJ's most obvious reasons for doing so: PvE content is bad for business.  PvP on the other hand is cheaper to make, last longer and requires less maintenance. I mean this is the same guy that said earlier that you need dragons to appeal to asian mmo players. Yeah real insight there.

Either way it goes, it will be entertaining to see how this pans out. It just seems to me that all the aging developers that started the genre are fast approaching that stage in their careers where they hope to cash in on name recognition alone. Well that and a few buzzwords to mez the masses that stumble and drool with every word they mutter. Dunno. I always played the games that appealed to me because I liked the game itself, not who's name was attached to it. Oh well. Here's hoping that this endeavor turns out to be just what all you RvR guys have been wishing for.image

Yes people need to remain skeptical, but the games you pointed out are not direct comparisons. You left out Planetside 2 even though you mentioned it 2 lines up and it is probably the best example of how a non-pve game can do well.

You are also missing the most obvious examples of hugely successful online games that have almost zero content - Leage of Legends, DOTA 2, HoN, Smite, etc..

The point is that the number of people who are willing to play PVE focused games for more than a month is low outside of WoW. SWTOR is the most obvious exaple of hundreds of millions spent on content that didn't have any longevity.

MJ  is being honest about his experiences, and he seems to have learned from past mistakes that were pushed by EA.

• shadeviceshadevice memphis, TNPosts: 68Member

This game is happening so those who are skeptical or negative, whats the point? If it's your cup of tea than drink it, other wise move on to what floats your personal boat...

Myself, I am very curious for a "RVR only" version of DAOC. It could work, it may work so well that it's niche target is missed and it becomes main stream. who knows.

If they truly learn from past mistakes, don't fix what wasn't broken and add new elements that fit, it could be a masterpiece. I'm also a glass half full sort of person, life is more pleasant that way.

I wonder how they will work progression into CU without PVE though. Sure you can gain levels and realm abilities via RVR, like in DAOC but what about equiping yourself to stand a chance? People need a carrot to chase, to earn. Something not easily attainable.

That area must be where he said "Crafting" will be very important. The more one thinks about CU the more interesting it becomes. 

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    The problem with bringing a MMO to kickstarter is that we have been burnt by the industry so many times it doesn't matter how great your MMO sounds we are not going to buy it until we see a good demo or reviews.

Play as your fav retro characters: My site: Blog:

• EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    Sandbox with the man who did DAOC and bringing it back oldschool in a kickstarter campaign? Excuse my french but count me the FU@# in!!!!!! Someone link me that kickstarter page so I can donate to this thing ASAP :)
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Granby, QCPosts: 470Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I really like waht this guy is saying..

1. RVR game

2. Sub based game

3. Niche game aimed at people who like RVR and pvp in general

4. Realistic about the amount of subs he is thinking about getting

Everything is ticking the right boxes here.. cant wait for the kickstarter page to come up..

+1 +1 +1 +1

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• vackvack Johnstown, PAPosts: 56Member

Lots of folks claiming fail already, lots don't like the no PVE, lots seem to thiink DAOC failed?

Define Failure?

#1 Incase you hadn't noticed...and I'm sure most of you have not, but DAOC is still up and running, still has very active RVR zones 24/7, and is still making $$.

#2 & #3 Just because there will be no PVE grind, or shiny bullshit that people fight over in game....the same shiny purple, orange, gold, whatever con digital capital that many people seem to rage about in games these days, certainly does not mean a game will fail.  It is my opinion that this might actually make this game flourish....maybe flourish more than the folks at CSE and Mr. Jacobs are even prepared for.  See most of those who actually know what a community is within a Community, or what having some pride in your team, win or lose, or actually know how to interact with other people through a portal called an MMORPG, and know what a group is, have been waiting for this for such a long, long, long time.  We have been to the top, we've seen what a game can be, and then along came WoW, and the aftermath that has ensued since.

It is so closed minded to state that anything will fail, online or not, before something is tried.  We as a race did not get to where we are now, by not failing, furthermore by not trying.

FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

• RaefarRaefar Aberdeen, NCPosts: 29Member
    I've been waiting years for something like this, and for all you old DAOC player
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Lafayette, LAPosts: 863Member

Originally posted by Onomas
    p2p is a cash grab? Its stated up front, 15/month for 24/7 entertainment and no restrictions for 30 days....... how is that a cash grab? Old games charged 2$/hour now you get the same entertainment for an entire 30 days for 50 cents per day. Find me cheaper entertainment. MMORPG subscription prices are about the only thing in our economy that hasnt risen 300% since a decade ago.

You're really going to ask someone to find you entertainment cheaper than a subscription service in a discussion about pay-to-play versus free-to-play?

Originally posted by Onomas
    Simple fact, the newer game suck, copy wow way too much, offer no long term playability, remove features, force you down a set path, remove your choice and freedom, and people are sick of that. If the game sucks to begin with and no one wants to pay, turning it f2p wont make the game any better.

Flawlessly executed strawman.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Palm Springs, CAPosts: 28Member
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    No pve? Meh

Nope, this game is not meant for Raiders / PvE'ers.

PvP or GTFO!

Let's hope it can compete with TES since this AvAvA seems to be their model too (sub based).  Seems like a lot of $15 a months to spread around.

Which to play?

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.