Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTP-Bred Community?

2»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vigg
    Every time I log in to PoE, I'm taken aback by the immaturity and sheer number of insults thrown around in general chat.  Want to make a trade?  Good luck.  Need some advice?  Even worse.  This is my first FTP game.  Is this what the community is like in most FTP games?  Ugh...

I think it's a combination of 'F2P' and shiney new game.... you get the worst of the worst.

Something like LotR dosen't suffer from a bad community because it's an old settled game and isn't on the radar of most, especially the super transient ADHDs. Plus it set a pretty decent culture from when it was P2P. If it had launched today, looking shiney beautiful and was 'F2P', it would be every bit as bad as PoE is.

Every new hyped F2P I have played has had a nasty wannabe 4Chan troll community, and throw PvP on top of that and it usually becomes toxic.

Sure, there *are* asshats that play sub games, plenty in fact, but nothing like you see in a trendy new title that happens to have free access.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Every time I log in to PoE, I'm taken aback by the immaturity and sheer number of insults thrown around in general chat.  Want to make a trade?  Good luck.  Need some advice?  Even worse.  This is my first FTP game.  Is this what the community is like in most FTP games?  Ugh...

I

Nope, F2P communities just like B2P and P2P communities have their bad apples, ours are just more numerous in themepark MMOs because there's no barrier to entry though the harsher the game gets the less douches you see floating around so as stated before: Play PoE on difficulties harder than Normal and play F2P MMOs which aren't easy skinner boxes (IE push a button get a reward) and you should avoid most of the crap and immaturity.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Scratch out the 2nd or 3rd element of that equation and you rarely get the same result. This equation btw is valid in all games, just that in F2P people have "less to lose" if they're total fuckwads.

Except that step one should be called 'Constructed Identity', and the 4th should be 'True Self'.

A douche is a douche, he might just hide it in his day to day real life.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Dunno bout you but im on the singapore server for PoE and the community is realy helpful and havant realy seen any horrible behavor. This is also in the hardcore difficulty i beleive they have different global than normal difficulty.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

I've been beta testing PoE for more then a year and haven't had the same experience your talking about. Sure, maybe a couple times someone attempted to troll me, but I generally just laugh it off.

I've been in mmo communities for all types of games going back more then a decade and have see good and bad people in them all. If you do find trolls, don't feed them!

In my opinion, PoE has a very good and helpful community.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Every online game should have atleast one P2P server that required CC & age verification.

I'm not kidding.