Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/articles/2013

Note that this figure does not include trial accounts or Dust accounts, but it does include the Chinese edition of EVE, who's players log in on the Serenity server, not the Tranquility server used by players in the rest of the world.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Note that this figure does not include trial accounts or Dust accounts, but it does include the Chinese edition of EVE, who's players log in on the Serenity server, not the Tranquility server used by players in the rest of the world.

500.000 people even if evenly spread out over 2 servers = allot of monkies in one barrel... and it only ever takes on match to see them flying all over the place killing each other XD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://www.xfire.com/games/eve

745 users 3195 hours played.

gogo!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Dihoru

500.000 people even if evenly spread out over 2 servers = allot of monkies in one barrel... and it only ever takes on match to see them flying all over the place killing each other XD

CCP have said that they'd love to be able to combine Serenity players onto TQ. Serenity numbers tend to be highest at the times when TQ numbers are low, so the extra stress on hardware would be minimised.

Perhaps one day the Chinese govt will loosen up...

EDIT: That's 500,000 accounts, not 500,000 players. 200-250k people is more like it.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

EDIT: That's 500,000 accounts, not 500,000 players. 200-250k people is more like it.

About 10k of thosese are Goons. They dont count as people. Just saying...

Seriously though, who cares? Accounts = income, the actual number of players is not really an interesting number.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228

Wait a sec, can you explain this to me. Why is this about Chinese players so important ?? You think that ccp cares if you are from EU or China?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by hfztt
    the actual number of players is not really an interesting number.

It might be to marketers, should anyone ever develop an actual, verifiable method of counting them.

But good luck with that. Gamers have been arguing over subs figures since before MMOs.

That bottom line number on the earnings report is what the stockholders are looking at, let the gamers argue over ad numerum to their little heart's content.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    A few of those are probably trial accounts which will cancel soon afterwards from trying the game.  Which means the number is false.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by zomard100

Wait a sec, can you explain this to me. Why is this about Chinese players so important ?? You think that ccp cares if you are from EU or China?

i think he may have only mentioned to to stop people coming back and going "ahhhhh but they are not all on one server GW2 rules lalala"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Mdpats
    A few of those are probably trial accounts which will cancel soon afterwards from trying the game.  Which means the number is false.

does not include trial acconuts or dust accounts as stated by the OP//

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

"Hi, my name is Mpats and I could not even be bothered to read the OP before posting my answer. Enjoy!"

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

"Hi, my name is Mpats and I could not even be bothered to read the OP before posting my answer. Enjoy!"

Did I offend you?  Awww too bad.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

It says in the very first sentence of the OP that the numbers DO NOT INCLUDE trial accounts.  L2R.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

no he was just pointing out your complete lack of reading comprehension

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    good for eve. A real MMO's peak population is not the first month. MMO's grow and evolve over time. Online Rpg's populations are at peak on the first month after release.  I wish that I like sci fi stuff, I just couldnt get into eve because I am not a fan of the setting. But none the less its still a great game. I Wish more MMO's were made. and let these online rpg'ers have there 90 day'ers

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Congrats EVE, no other game, nor game company deserves it more. Now get back to making that permadeath vampire game!

It just took 10 years to reach a half a million. Small victory I guess since most good MMO's have been  in a Blizzard that has been pouring for 8 of those years that keep ppl away from EVE.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Congrats EVE, no other game, nor game company deserves it more. Now get back to making that permadeath vampire game!

It just took 10 years to reach a half a million. Small victory I guess since most good MMO's have been  in a Blizzard that has been pouring for 8 of those years that keep ppl away from EVE.

And like most blizzards they blow in hard and fast and then the snow starts to melt away.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Almost everyone who plays EVE has 2+ accounts, most people I see tend to have 3...but not sure if that is the norm.

So it is more like around 250k, which isn't actually very much at all.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Almost everyone who plays EVE has 2+ accounts, most people I see tend to have 3...but not sure if that is the norm.

Who cares if it is one person paying for it all?  Seriously, your point doesn't matter.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am not big on space games, so never really played it.  I also did not like the idea of people having a higher point cap or something along those lines for being vets...Nothing big, but I would like to be on a even footing, if I put the time in to do so, but you cannot age your account, no matter how much you play.  People have debated if this mattered, but it turned me off a little.

Congrats though, good to see them chugging along and growing.

It doesn't matter if the average person has 1.5 to 2 accounts, because if you think that, then it also means it is impressive to grow, considering that every person that leaves, they have to also get new customers, and either have more single account customers to replace the multi-account person that left, or make the new person like it enough to get multi-accounts.....Either way it is working for them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Source?

I mean, since you repeatedly state that as fact, you've got a source you can share, right, Scav?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Source?

I mean, since you repeatedly state that as fact, you've got a source you can share, right, Scav?

lmao come on now there is no way you can denie that players do shadowbox or in anouther words run two accounts at the same time. Other MMO's allow it like hmm lets say WoW they love to let players run 2 or more accounts at one time. So I can very easy believe that EVE players will do the same.

Can you prove that they dont?image

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Source?

lmao come on now there is no way you can denie that players do shadowbox or in anouther words run two accounts at the same time. Other MMO's allow it like hmm lets say WoW they love to let players run 2 or more accounts at one time. So I can very easy believe that EVE players will do the same.

Can you prove that they dont?image

Well, yours truly has been running 1 account for several years now, so the number is already wrong :P.

That said, I've met people running 10 paid accounts, so it could be even less unique people.

(Does it really matter? I think not.)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Reading people desperately trying to downplay or discredit the success of Eve puts a big kool aid smile on my face.  Keep up the bad work!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Real nerds have up to 7 or even 8 accounts in EVE. I know, since I did when I played it. 2 were financed by credit card, rest by money created by those two I paid for. And it's not uncommon that nerds like myself are often around.

But in the end the number of people playing it does not matter much since every account is money in the bank for ccp. They created a beautiful universe which they tried to destroy with their multiple bad decisions over the years (not intentionally, it's just lack of maturity on ther side) but now they seem to be getting it right (all over again like in the first years).

I would say real number of active people is around 200k, which is more then enough to have extremly stable universe. Do not forget EVE is one universe and not 5k per server like with other games. A mmo can lif off with 5k per server already and EVE has a population of a town.

Good luck CCP.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Reading people desperately trying to downplay or discredit the success of Eve puts a big kool aid smile on my face.  Keep up the bad work!

it is amusing watching them try to reconcile the facts with theem knowing that everything about EVE is wrong. The best ones are when they simply accuse CCP of outright lying.

BTW the best examples are actually in the DUST 514 forum here. There are some dudes in there who are desperate for Dust to fail.