Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Best pen and paper RPGs

13»

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Robbinsville, NCPosts: 183Member Uncommon
    Currently, I use Pathfinder with some 3.0/3.5 stuff inported in.  
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Am I the only one here who has played BESM?

owned it but never played it

my personal favorites were GURPS and Runequest

but more often than not, I was playing "homegrown" variants of the D&D Whitebox set from 1976

• BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by Hodo

Easy for me.  There are two games that are great, but one is better than them all.

Cyberpunk:2020. 

Fast paced, violent, dangerous, fun, and no magic.

The second best to me is...

Twighlight 2000.   

Come on who doesnt want to play a soldier stranded in Europe after WWIII?!

I have to agree on Twilight 2000. I used to play this every weekend with a group when I was in the Army. We had a lot of good times with this game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

I don't know what BESM is. Please tell me about it and why you like it! I want to get as much info about pnp games as I can. I've found some really interesting stuff so far. 

• LilanLilan farumPosts: 57Member
    GURPS, simply due to fact it can be used for any thing.
  • MediBlastMediBlast new york, NYPosts: 36Member
    Wanted to try Pathfinder but never really had the time. Is it really good?
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

#1 D&D (d20 system. 3.0, 3.5, or something else).... this is the grand daddy of them all. It's better than previous editions because the math has been simplified and both players and DMs have a lot more options, especially given the Open Gaming License. 4th edition closed the license and pushed the game in a more unrealistic direction.

#2 Vampire While there are two very valid arguments over the two versions of the game, they are both awesome. Vampire is a game where you viait very personal and mature stories where you get to deeply explore the inner mind of your character. 

#3 Shadowrun With an extremely unique take on what the near future will bring, Shadowrun brings the dystopian future to life in vivid detail. The game is basically set in one of the most unique worlds in all of gaming.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• GreyfaceGreyface Detroit, MIPosts: 390Member

I strongly recommend Pathfinder to anyone looking to get into (or back into) table-top gaming.  It's really the best system going right now and is very well-supported.  Most of the rules are published online for anyone who wants to look them over.

I've been playing P&P RPGs for 25 years, on and off.  While I loved a lot (most actually) of the old-school games mentioned in this thread, the majority of them weren't really well-designed mechanically.  Nostalgia is a powerful thing.  What most people are remembering here are not the games as they were published, but heavily tweaked house rules.  Add in some memories of good times around the gaming table, and you have a mighty thick set of rose-colored lenses.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member Uncommon

-As an old time P&P player- I think the original "Empire of the petal throne" is probably the best.

-Then I would say AD&D 2nd edition.

-Next the D&D rules cyclopedia (probably the best "full system" in one book- Ever...)

As far as newer RPG's , Pathfinder...hands down. In fact, I currently run a Pathfinder group and its ease of play, simple rules and myriad of options makes it a fantastic system.

-3rd edition probably had the most potential but failed miserably IMHO and tried to over monitize everything.

4th Edition? LOL.

EDIT: @ Greyface- You are 100% right about mechanics and "house rules" in older games...But that was half the fun. A good DM wants to house rule, tweak and optimize the system to the group. "Balance" (as it were) is really not of the utmost importance in a P&P game-  With 3rd edition (and even Pathfinder, but to a lesser degree) tweaking one part of the system can often "break" the game. That isnt my only complaint about 3rd and 3.5 but it is a valid one.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I don't know what BESM is. Please tell me about it and why you like it! I want to get as much info about pnp games as I can. I've found some really interesting stuff so far. 

its roleplaying in the anime universe - but i never played it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eyes,_Small_Mouth

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

-3rd edition probably had the most potential but failed miserably IMHO and tried to over monetize everything.

I kind of get what you're saying.  Too many splat books, but it is good in a way, because there is plenty of material out there to use for your campaign. Also because they NEEDED to monetize it, or the D&D franchise was going to die.  But on the other hand, it also has the Open Gaming License, which is the complete opposite of monetization.

2nd and 4th Editions were garbage IMO.  Both took some major steps backwards compared to their predecessors.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• GreyfaceGreyface Detroit, MIPosts: 390Member
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

EDIT: @ Greyface- You are 100% right about mechanics and "house rules" in older games...But that was half the fun. A good DM wants to house rule, tweak and optimize the system to the group. "Balance" (as it were) is really not of the utmost importance in a P&P game-  With 3rd edition (and even Pathfinder, but to a lesser degree) tweaking one part of the system can often "break" the game. That isnt my only complaint about 3rd and 3.5 but it is a valid one.

True -- cooking up house rules was often a lot of fun.   Some games required it though, which is a lot to ask of someone brand new to the hobby.  I never actually played 3rd ed. DnD -- I went right from 2nd Ed. to Pathfinder -- but so far I've been able to stretch and bend PF without any problems.  The nice thing about that system is that it works as written -- nothing I've added was really necessary.   I agree about "balance" though -- one of the things I love about table-top RPGs is that the GM can tailor the difficulty on the fly to make up for weak or overpowered characters.  There's no reason for players to have to min-max the way they do in MMOs.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

I'm still a fan of AD&D 2nd edition.  The rules were pretty clunky since it was made before the concept of character balance really took root, but that only seemed to emphasize the fact that it was a role playing game, and not just a combat simulator.

3.5 was more polished, but I think it lost a lot of the flavor as a result.  4E is crap unless you literally want to run an MMO at your table.

The old Star Wars D6 system was pretty awesome, due to the simplicity.

You make me like charity

• KanethKaneth Posts: 1,930Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

I used BESM to introduce people to pen and paper gaming. It was simplistic enough for people to understand, but had a great amount of depth hidden under.

The most recent iteration of a pen and paper I played was a little creation of mine. I used Hero Quest elements (gameboard and pieces) and made a modified ruleset for Final Fantasy Tactics, and ran little campaigns for friends. We basically wanted a pen and paper version of FFT, so I made one. It worked pretty well.

Because of that, I started to work on my own P&P game. I have a ton of iterations, but not a finished product, about 12 years after I started working on it. One of these days I'll get to a point where I can play test it.

• NailzzzNailzzz fullerton, CAPosts: 513Member Uncommon
    I know a lot of people hate on it but if you can get past the rather borked mechanics and over emphasis on dice rolling and look at the actual story/background story of the game, RIFTS is actually my absolute favorite for most interesting story. I enjoy the story of it so much that I still purchase the books to read despite not having played the game in almost a decade.

I also really enjoyed Robotech, Nightbane, Palladium Fantasy, Cyberpunk 2020 (I'm old), and the Whitewolf games. Especially Vampire Masquerade and Dark Ages. (Not a LARPer).
  • PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by Nadia

Thank you, Nadia!

I have found a lot of great recommendations in this thread and bought quite a few books, but not nearly as many as I want to. 

QUESTION: Why don't they do more frequent re-prints? These books get so expensive. They can be 200-300 USD (or more) a pop.  If people are paying that much to buy the books used, I'm sure reprints could make money for the publishers. For example, the Shadowrun 20th anniversary core rulebook usually starts at $200. It looks like it has some really nice illustrations, etc. Fortunately, I could get the pdf online for $15. And fortunately, they will be coming out with a new 5th edition this year. I'm sure that's going to sell, so I will make sure to get my copy asap. 

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Madison, WIPosts: 811Member Uncommon

QUESTION: Why don't they do more frequent re-prints? These books get so expensive. They can be 200-300 USD (or more) a pop.  If people are paying that much to buy the books used, I'm sure reprints could make money for the publishers. For example, the Shadowrun 20th anniversary core rulebook usually starts at $200. It looks like it has some really nice illustrations, etc. Fortunately, I could get the pdf online for $15. And fortunately, they will be coming out with a new 5th edition this year. I'm sure that's going to sell, so I will make sure to get my copy asap.

Shadorwrun, I'm running a campaign right now. Great game. So many god damn sixer's!!!!

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon
    Pathfinder for me, hands down. DnD 4th just went far down hill. Pathfinder isn't perfect but its as close to it as they come.
13»