Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: What March’s WvW Patch Will Bring

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I'm glad to see PvP getting some love, but I was really hopeing for some more fluff and a new map. In my opinion anet has focused too much on spvp, wvw has really been the best aspect of gw2 and really should b focus
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Lateral progression doesnt even make sense as a term. One csn not got forward while going sideways.

Horizontal (aka lateral) progression has been a discussion point for many years. People are wanting to further advance their characters without having to raise the ceiling of power. Vertical progression leads to a whole slew of problems, as seen in games like WoW. You can't just have a rampant increases of power without having tremendous side effects.

I think many might remember this picture

from this article http://gamerant.com/world-warcraft-wisdom-exponent-stats-sherm-121191/

The basic premise was that at some point, the damage numbers are going to become an issue in WoW, and that they will either have to represent 30,000,000 damage as like 30 Mega Damage, or perform a "squish" of everything in the game to bring numbers back to a reasonable level.

The 85-89 bg bracket in WoW is also a good example of Vertical progression run amokk. A level 85 might have around 27k health, where a level 88 will have over 100k health, basically locking people out of the bracket at lower levels.

ANet is wanting to allow people to progress and be more efficient without creating wide gaps of power within the game. Having the ability to carry 30 supply instead of 10, for example, would be a tremendous asset while sieging keeps in WvW, you would essentially triple your ability to build siege equipment per character. Your character itself isn't more powerful, but they can perform their usual roles better. I can completely understand why they would start slow with this type of system, because it's easier to fix smaller steps as you go vs. mucking things up terribly for weeks to months whilst attempting to fix whatever you might break doing a complete overhaul.

Considering the game is B2P, without any required items in the cash shop, the level of support for the game from ANet is on par, if not better, than many Sub games I have played. I am very much looking forward to the patch.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I didn't expect improvement to the intrinsicly flawed WvW system that makes the WvW contest(it's certainly not a war) more like a basket ball game (who can score the most points over a two week 24/7 non stop repetative frenzie)....and my expectations were met.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Hopefully this will remove culling from cities like Lions Arch too. I hated that during the events.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by QSatu

Originally posted by IPolygon
    That's how they want to add progression to WvW? By adding more skills/passives? Oo. Removing culling would fix a lot of issues found in WvW (and PvE), so that would be huge, but imo they need to add more maps and other things to battle progression to keep players invested in WvW after TESO arrives.

Are you expecting to see Cyrodil region remake every few months to satisfy this "we need new maps to keep us interested"?

I don't want a remake of something every x months, but WvW to be of similar size as the pve world. There are 26 maps for pve, why do we have only 4 (3 of them are identical) maps for WvW which a) excludes 95% of the playerbase from large scale pvp and b) prevents WvW of having any form of progression beyond a single map.

I want my actions to have an impact on the battlefield in a way I can remember it and be proud of it. The current system doesn't allow it, but keeps almost all things near a reset-ready state. There is nothing more to WvW than flipping objectives. I want persistence and battlefield progression in large scale battles. These are the things that keep me going. No gaining or losing a tier will ever accomplish that.

It doesn't have to be 26 maps for WvW warfare, but the existing maps should be connected in order to enable a campaign style gameplay and give meaning to your achievements. I want to push the frontline deep into enemy territory. Right now I cannot do that, because there is no frontline and no way to establish one.
  • skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Hmm doesn't change the underlieing mechanics, or make taking and controlling keeps more meaningful for your clan or server. So this doesn't sound like the patch I was hoping for. A title for enemies to see and some passives against npc's and seige weapons doesn't  add what I was looking for, hope those playing have fun though.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    My response to 1:00 in. "Roughly equal in power."
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Progression means getting stronger. More damage against NPCs and siege weapons are NOT progression. 

This is lateral progression.  It may not mean stronger, but it certainly means performing the basic duties of WvW better, which is kind of the point.

I was expecting interesting PvP-specific skills that force you to make difficult decisions, instead we get some boring minor passives that are irrelevant in PvP.

I don't understand why people are happy with this.

this.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

So half a year after launch, all WvW has received is a few bug fixes, a game mechanic removed, and you'll be able to grind WvW experience in it. Nothing else?

"We got plans." - Just be honest and say you're incapable and not interested in supporting a WvW/PvP community. Don't you have some dungeon loot tables to redesign for the 7th time?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Some of you will never realize how hard it is to get code working properly, especially on a huge gaming project such as GW2, with multiple people and teams.  The culling fixes will be the result of this.  Let's take swtor for example.. They still never fixed ilum's world pvp, due to the limitations of their modified hero engine, which was the cause of the problem.  I'm guessing they needed to re-code their entire rendering system (someone with more knowledge about 3d game engines correct me), which in reality would take months or even years, especially if your department isn't top priority. The fact that Habib said culling is fixed is pretty amazing, considering it's only been around 7 months since launch.

As to progression in GW2, that's another topic of it's own.  In short, progression can mean various aspects of guild, or character, development, whether it be titles, items, gear, weapons, attributes, etc.  The problem is trying to satisfy everyone on which aspects of progression the team wants to focus on.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by SidQFT
    Progression means getting stronger. More damage against NPCs and siege weapons are NOT progression. 

This is lateral progression.  It may not mean stronger, but it certainly means performing the basic duties of WvW better, which is kind of the point.

I was expecting interesting PvP-specific skills that force you to make difficult decisions, instead we get some boring minor passives that are irrelevant in PvP.

I don't understand why people are happy with this.

this.

Why would you expect them to make giant sweeping changes out the gate? If history has shown us anything, making broad changes in a short amount of time create more problems than fix. So they add some passive new effects now, and it works well, the next thing they may add is a round of active skills for use in the WvW environment, and see how those work out.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what they do or when they do it, because there will be someone pissing and moaning about it.

• BetraydBetrayd Member Posts: 4
    looking forwards to culling being removed from the game at long last
  • hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    So basically they're doing their best to make WvW into something more and more like DAoC's RvR?
  • UngetuemUngetuem Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Meh...nothing that will get me back playin it...
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    GW2 seems to be making an honest effort at improving the game.  May not be everything people want, but at least they are trying and working on it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Kaneth                                                                                                                 snip

Good post, thanks.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    GW2 seems to be making an honest effort at improving the game.  May not be everything people want, but at least they are trying and working on it.

yep, I am not really into the PvP aspect but love the content patches for the PvE. Reminds me of LoTRO before Turbine sold out.

I miss DAoC

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Even after this patch they still have to make sure there's no creepy crawlies because even with this latest patch they added we got Engies hitting for double damage with certain kits. So, let's not get happy till we know it's up and running.

This is not a game.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I think the phrase 'to little, to late' comes to mind.  Still waiting for my 'expansions worth of content' that was promised in December.

But you can carry 1 more supply in WvW......wow who gives a @#$%.  That was ceritanly worth waiting 7 months for.  But they fixed culling, wow amazing they fixed a bug that should have never been in the game in the first place 7 months after release........*slow clapping.

If GW2 was run by another much more competent group since release, the game would not be the big turd it is today.  But at least they have plush animal backpacks, very important.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Your anger is pretty weird tbh, it's a free to play game getting a much needed imvestment by the dev team.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I disagree, this is very much vertical progression, it's just selective.   Either way you argue, it can be construed as a bad thing.  Efficacy over another in WvW is something most people were against before the game came out, even if it's indirect. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I dunno, I'm quite wary how it will pan out. 

Their recent patch on the 26th has created a massive disparity between players with the new guild perks.  See this thread, and in particular this post which succinctly explains the issue.

The general concern at this point is their hyped vision of "no grind" and "playing the game your way" has been discarded and the people running the show now have a completely different agenda.  The concern is that the outcry from the community isn't being listened to (eg Ascended gear mega thread) at all and they are just plugging along making changes and "improvements" that are diverging further and further away from the game people signed up for, from what they promised would be different from the other games.

So, with this WvW patch I hope for their sakes that they don't frak it up.  The guild missions aspect of this latest patch was an absolute fail.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Their recent patch on the 26th has created a massive disparity between players with the new guild perks.  See this thread, and in particular this post which succinctly explains the issue.

The general concern at this point is their hyped vision of "no grind" and "playing the game your way" has been discarded and the people running the show now have a completely different agenda.  The concern is that the outcry from the community isn't being listened to (eg Ascended gear mega thread) at all and they are just plugging along making changes and "improvements" that are diverging further and further away from the game people signed up for, from what they promised would be different from the other games.

So, with this WvW patch I hope for their sakes that they don't frak it up.  The guild missions aspect of this latest patch was an absolute fail.

so before patch big complaint is game has nothing to work for at end game and needs more systems to keep players interested long term.. after patch game should have no systems that require any time to work towards and you should instantly have everything available at any time with no lengthy work involved at all...

anet never claimed "no grind" ever and you can very much "play the game your way"(whatever that means as obviouslly it has very differn't meaning for everyone it seems))

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Though I didn't read every reply, I think I only saw a few examples of games that supposedly did emmersion better than GW2. Lotro and WoW.  I'm currently playing Lotro (again) and their environments are still incredible, but their character animations are a complete turn off.  Always have been, but GW2's animations at least follow the 12 principles of animation and are very fluid and give the illusion of life.  On the other hand, WoW has great animation but the world is hard to get emmersed into now due to it's low poly count for todays standards.  Back in 2005 it was a different story. 

GW2 so far is the superior game for emmersion when it comes to both animation and game environment, hands down.  Any other examples that people have to compare?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Telondariel

so before patch big complaint is game has nothing to work for at end game and needs more systems to keep players interested long term.. after patch game should have no systems that require any time to work towards and you should instantly have everything available at any time with no lengthy work involved at all...

anet never claimed "no grind" ever and you can very much "play the game your way"(whatever that means as obviouslly it has very differn't meaning for everyone it seems))

I know your stance on ANet and GW2 so I'm not going to get into a senseless back and forth with you.  It would be a complete waste of my time to indulge and feed you.

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in what is going on with this latest patch to read that thread.  The limited scope of "instantly having everything available at any time" is only expressed by a limited few, usually the same predictable posters, and has nothing at all to do with what the community's concerns and outrage are about. 

So, with the WvW patch next month..I hope they don't mess it up like they did with this patch.