Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The World Looks Beautiful - But Will I?

2»

Comments

• ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100

I can't say you're missing much (aside from cookie cutter dragon fights, a shallow magic system, and less depth in general), but I think it's silly to stop enjoying a game because of the models. If you had a problem with the animations I'd get it, but because they aren't pretty enough?

Someone has some  self esteem issues.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I'm hoping for some pretty character options as well as clothing. Weve seen some cool looking armors, but we have yet to see gorgeous armors. Something fancy wil gold embroidery and vibrant colors, and even lace.
  • FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Amathe

To my great dismay, my character was horribly ugly.  So ugly that as a Wood Elf, one of my choices was how much dirt I wanted on my face.  Um, none?

I saw no attractive female character options in Skyrim. So is this how it's going to be?  I have to play an ugly character?  Because that's a non-starter for me.  There are too many games where I don't have to be ugly. 

Does anyone have a link to a publiclly available screenshot where there are attractive female ESO player characters?

I share your concern. Unlike a part of the hardcore TES fanbase, most people want to have nice looking characters. And how many people will decide their main on lore? Not a lot, I think. And if there's only one or two races that will have nice looking characters, people will play those races. If elves look ugly, the AD faction will be the smallest and 80% will be Daggerfall Breton or Nord players, making it even less attractive to play other factions.

So I think there a reason to have all races have at least a few appealing, nice looking options. In the end, if people are forced to play ugly looking characters, they will be less likely to play or keep playing the game, it's that simple. Some people even keep playing games (even though gameplay may only be mediocre) because their characters look so nice - for instance GW2. Or stop playing because their character really looks and animates subpar, like in LOTRO.

Especially if they have to play with others, the social part in a mmorpg is a lot bigger than in single player games. So ugly characters = less sales, bad for a game developer's income.  So it's not going to happen.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I saw no attractive female character options in Skyrim.

So is this how it's going to be?  I have to play an ugly character?  Because that's a non-starter for me.  There are too many games where I don't have to be ugly.  

Does anyone have a link to a publiclly available screenshot where there are attractive female ESO player characters?

well, I went through a few pages but didn't see this type of response (and if it's there I'm sorry) but I imagine that, since it's not bethesda making the game,  ESO will have different artists and therefore might not hold to the exact same art design choices.

Or they might "bend" it a bit here and there so that some characters are "more attractive". Though that's a subjective thing anyway.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38

[mod edit]

one thing ill say is from the vids i think the game looks good but i prefer a grittier look closer to ES games they seem to have gone a touchy cartoon but ok whatever

ah yeah and the mean one at the start of skyrim lawl

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    My orc in Skyrim looked pretty cool
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Homitu
    So you set out to try Skyrim's combat, on which you heard ESO's combat would be based.  But you got turned off by Skyrim's character models, on which you have NOT heard ESO's models would be based, and that has now turned you away from ESO?  There's no transitive property at work here.  

I don't know what the ESO models will look like.  The screens I see usually have them covered in armor.  That's why I asked a question.  

Well, you could try TERA online. I have three 60's (Lancer, Slayer, Warrior) and a level 42 Beserker.  All are female Castanic for good reasons... ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV_p2i_RYh8&list=PL3B602057C1F7496A&index=1

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I have looked at the videos and screenshots on this site, and ESO certainly features a beautiful world.

After reading that the ESO combat system will be similar to Skyrim, I bought Skyrim to try it out.

I didn't get very far.

To my great dismay, my character was horribly ugly.  So ugly that as a Wood Elf, one of my choices was how much dirt I wanted on my face.  Um, none?

I saw no attractive female character options in Skyrim.

So is this how it's going to be?  I have to play an ugly character?  Because that's a non-starter for me.  There are too many games where I don't have to be ugly.  

I agree with you. A combination of their art-style, 3D-engine, polygon counts, or something in Skyrim resulted in some really ugly models--both male and female. This has never been a strength of TES, hence you'll see some purists post nonsense like "TES elves ain't sissy pretty boys." It's true, they weren't - thery were these bizarre creatures with overly large heads and chins full of all kinds of straight-line features.

Some of the more popular Skyrim mods were the ones that enhanced (corrected?) their art style for the whole world but particualrly for player and NPC models.

The TESO art style looks like an improvement on that from what I have seen on promo videos. But it's still hard to tell: there's very little in the way of in-game video or stills around, just a lot of concept art and cinematic trailers that always look better.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I'm hoping for some pretty character options as well as clothing. Weve seen some cool looking armors, but we have yet to see gorgeous armors. Something fancy wil gold embroidery and vibrant colors, and even lace.

Call me what you will but I think the artist conception of the 3 armor set released last week looks amazing as hell.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!