Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocked from logging in because of my security key...

Well, I subbed for another month a couple days ago, bought a bit of cartel coins, and now my security key isn't working. I have it set up on my phone so I open the app, get the key, login and go. Now I can't login to the game or the website because my security key is required and it's not registering that I'm typing in the right one.

I've been on hold with customer service for almost 40 minutes now. I refuse to email them because the last time I got the courtesy "your email has been received" but never got a real reply from customer service. That was a week ago. A WEEK. I was having connection issues and as a subscriber I guess even I wasn't important enough to deem a proper reply.

I've pre-ordered the expansion already, and that's the only reason I am trying to be able to login. I spent my money and now seemingly right after, I encounter these problems. Had I only withheld a few more days I'd have a bit more cash in my wallet and be a lot less frustrated. If I hadn't just paid for the expansion and resub and coins, I would be uninstalling this game as I type this.

How does a company like this get away with screwing people over so hard? People WHO HAVE PAID them? It's like they just don't care. They think the ship is sinking and they are trying to reach into everyone's pocket on the way down.

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I have physical security key. never had a problem with it. I don't trust these virtual tokens. I hope you have it resolved soon.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• XiradXirad Member UncommonPosts: 11

After over a year now of being live there are still far too many things you have to CALL Customer Service about, and no one appreciates being on hold for up to an hour (or more) on non-toll-free numbers.  Worse of course is being on hold all that time and getting disconnected and having to call back and requeue.

I have the mobile security app on my phone and it works great but need to transfer it to my new phone.  According to their FAQ the only way to do that is CALL customer service to have the security removed from my account.  Then at some undetermined point I can log into the website and re-activate the mobile app on my new phone.

Why can't this be an account management feature on the website?  If you look at the SWTOR Customer Service forum it's just full of complaints of poor customer service, and it was well known when they announced going Free To Play early last summer there was a large cut in staffing, including customer service.

When they implemented the "Random Security Questions" to log into your account last year the forums were overflowing with complaints that folks forgot some of their answers (you had to create 5) OR it wasn't working (various issues including case-sensitivity) and of course the only way to resolve any of it was to CALL Customer Service.

They would do well for all involved if they enabled more account management via the website.

Since I long canceled my subscription and am just an occasional Free To Play player I'll save myself the cost of the call and the aggravation and just keep using the app on my old phone (just needs a wifi connection).

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

I had read a few articles and decided last night to re-activate my account (I was a player fot the first two months of the game's life) and finish off the Bouny Hunter story.

After patching the client, I was asked a security question - what is your favorite restaraunt. Now, I'm sure I had one in November 2011 when I answered the question. Remembering it over a year later, though, is pretty tricky.

However, I persevered, and called the 312 customer support number. And after navigating a labrynthine menu of confusing options which sounded correct (until there were no options given under that nest for "account security"), I was finally placed on hold.

For nearly an hour.

Sorry, but if re-activating this account means that much work, I'll seriously just continue with another game. since this measure doesn't exist with any other MMO I play. I understand and appreciate account security, but christ, it's an hour to log into the game (perhaps longer). And realize, I remembered my original account name, and password. It was even the same game install.

I remember deciding to play some Champions the other day, after playing it for a couple months at release (under a different publisher) and creating a PWE account, logging back in, patching and upgrading all took me less than 15 minutes. After I had forgotten every password related to that old account.

Way to lose a possible customer (I make no guarantees; I'm fickle).

• bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Xirad

After over a year now of being live there are still far too many things you have to CALL Customer Service about, and no one appreciates being on hold for up to an hour (or more) on non-toll-free numbers.  Worse of course is being on hold all that time and getting disconnected and having to call back and requeue.

I have the mobile security app on my phone and it works great but need to transfer it to my new phone.  According to their FAQ the only way to do that is CALL customer service to have the security removed from my account.  Then at some undetermined point I can log into the website and re-activate the mobile app on my new phone.

Why can't this be an account management feature on the website?  If you look at the SWTOR Customer Service forum it's just full of complaints of poor customer service, and it was well known when they announced going Free To Play early last summer there was a large cut in staffing, including customer service.

When they implemented the "Random Security Questions" to log into your account last year the forums were overflowing with complaints that folks forgot some of their answers (you had to create 5) OR it wasn't working (various issues including case-sensitivity) and of course the only way to resolve any of it was to CALL Customer Service.

They would do well for all involved if they enabled more account management via the website.

Since I long canceled my subscription and am just an occasional Free To Play player I'll save myself the cost of the call and the aggravation and just keep using the app on my old phone (just needs a wifi connection).

I don't think many of you here understand account security. You're asking for more management options on the website means opening giant holes in the security to exploit...

WoW requires a valid scanned photo ID to remove a security FOB and then you have to wait for them to process it. Probably would be easier, but no, you're not gonig to get a button to click that says 'disable this security feature'.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by bfpiercelk

I don't think many of you here understand account security. You're asking for more management options on the website means opening giant holes in the security to exploit...

WoW requires a valid scanned photo ID to remove a security FOB and then you have to wait for them to process it. Probably would be easier, but no, you're not gonig to get a button to click that says 'disable this security feature'.

Problem is, when I had to get my account back in WOW from 2 years ago, it took me a grand total of 15 minutes. That was also calling customer service, as my pass had been compromised and an old character had been stripped of items.

Dealing with SWTOR has been... infinitely more difficult. Hence, instead of resuming on the F2P model, I just uninstalled. I wonder how many returning players get the question "what was your favorite dessert?" and puzzle over it for a few minutes, shrug, and move onto another game?

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by bfpiercelk
    Originally posted by Xirad

WoW isnt a good choice of comparison since the only thing security is good for is keeping the owner of the account out of it, since most hackers can break into account easy as hell, and has been done constantly

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It constantly boggles me how people do not write down the answers to their secret questions and also their passwords and account names and rely on a recovery system when to have written down these things would have been so much more intelligent.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The security is one of my favorite features in TOR. I haven't touched WOW in years but I still get e-mails from Blizzard telling me to verify my account because of hacking. Thankfully I no longer use the bank I did when I played that game so I just ignore them. Haven't had any such issue with TOR and I've played the game a whole lot longer than I did WOW. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft