Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free 2 Play

123457»

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    You can say FFXIV is the first game in history to go from P2P to F2P to P2P. XD

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/16/allods-online-russia-opens-up-subscription-based-server/

But they started off with F2P, FFXIV started with P2P. 

Still takes bigger balls to go from F2P to P2P.

Still failed to refute his point and followed it up by making a subjective off-base statement...

Yup, going native it seems.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

You can say FFXIV is the first game in history to go from P2P to F2P to P2P. XD

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/16/allods-online-russia-opens-up-subscription-based-server/

But they started off with F2P, FFXIV started with P2P. 

Still takes bigger balls to go from F2P to P2P.

Still failed to refute his point and followed it up by making a subjective off-base statement...

Nah, its cool. I was just stating a fun bit of trivia. 

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by rommello
    played the 1 day beta stress test phase 1, the combat was really action packed, you spam the tab button and 12345 and if you got far enough even the F1-12 keys!

pushing buttons!! in a video game!!! what will they think of next. having a variety of skills in an rpg  is so dated

Just got done playing a fps where you click to shoot the gun.. lol comon lets mix it up 

• TreabhairTreabhair Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Interesting ideas OP. Very well written post. Not likely to happen, but that's not the point. Seems like this thread got derailed into a ftp v p2p discussion. It seems that op wanted to discuss his ideas more than the same old p2p v f2p debate. I'm starting wonder what kind of community this game will have after reading through posts from some of the "fans" in this thread.

I'm so happy I could cry.

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

If anyone is interested you can preorder this from newegg right now for 20 bucks, click on the eblast for the promo code

no idea if i'll keep playing since I haven't been super following this and didn't get in the beta, but for 20 bucks I figure I'll at least get my money's worth, really wanted to like ffxiv(original) but I got in the beta for that super early and after forcing myself to play it for quite awhile I cancelled my preorder. Hoping the improvements made on ARR do the trick.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Treabhair

"Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is going to be fucking blast!"

I do hope so, but I'm afraid my brother, a few friends of mine, and myself won't get to take part without a f2p level of play....

As it should be.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by rommello
    played the 1 day beta stress test phase 1, the combat was really action packed, you spam the tab button and 12345 and if you got far enough even the F1-12 keys!

Cool sensationalizaition, way to evaluate a P2P, eastern mmo games' combat based on your one day of beta testing at level 10...

Judging from your post it's probably safe to assume you don't possess the mental fortitude to endure the grind required to attain 1 level 50, let alone 3, to truely judge the merits of this games combat system.

Which is why i <3 SE and am glad you will be on to your next F2P venture or instant-gratification mmo, so those of us who remain can attempt to build a real community ^^.

Oh and to any future rebuttle game balance for developers who are NOT trying to shaft their customer base or swindle a P2W cash shop goodie tends to evolve towards the later stages of the game... since running around and having epic battles with marmots and rabbits wouldn't make a lot of sense nor be entertaining...

He didn't talk about payment models in his post you did sort of.  Mostly you just puked out a bunch of nonsense that didn't relate to the bait he laid.  Bad logic on your part.

Is he right that the combat is hard tab-targeted with a standard hotkey rotation with skill cooldowns?  If you've played the game and it's not like that then it would serve you better to actually explain why he's wrong or if he's right why you think that sort of combat will work well for the game.

Don't know where to start

Never stated he did talk about payment models, his post was about 2 sentences and it didn't reference "hard tab-targeted" at all so you are falling victim to your very own illogical notion about me spouting off on a tangent.

Regardless i did explain why he's wrong, and seeing as i have played beta as well as alpha as well as FFXI, FFXIV 1.0 and completed endgame content i think it's fair for me to state that the intricacies of the combat are not fully-developed at level 10... Nor level 30 for that matter which clearly the poster hasn't come close to attaining.  Exp chains, combo's, limit breaks/skill chains (ffxi) as well as whatever they have yet to present us with are the main features to the combat system, not an innovative skill rotation or lack of tab targeting like you seem to be obsessed with.  Which my first post addressed, the battle system can't fairly be judged til at least you reach 1 lvl 50 and taste some endgame content...

My comment on the payment models is accurate because it attempts to explain the lack of understanding of the poster (and seemingly you) possess of what this game is attempting to offer.

I suggest you at least do a Google search of the game before trying to discredit a game for a mechanic that SE and Yoshi-P both realize is in place (tab-targeting) and working properly.

Question when did Square-Enix, Yoshi-P, or anyone promise/advertise a revolutionary innovative combat system?

No i think they promised to deliver on a P2P game that their fanbase has been asking for centered on LONG-term progression and group play, regular content updates, crafting, and even housing/pvp to look forward to.

I think you missed the Tera forums...

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Reasons I believe that ARR will never go f2p are set out in a shareholder report I found amongst their financial reports and business strategies.

===============================================================================================

I have long expected MMO games to provide a stable source of profit.
    “FINAL FANTASY XI” has been continuing services for ten years since its launch, and even if we consider all the server, operational staffing, and maintenance costs in addition to the development costs, the accumulated operating profit generated by the title is close to 40 billion yen. As a single title, “FINAL FANTASY XI” has had the highest level of contribution to our profits. If successful, MMO is a genre where we can achieve very high profitability. Also, the MMO game market itself has been growing at a regular pace (Figure 3). At the same time, development of MMOs is challenging, requiring large initial investments and deployment of sizable support teams. MMOs have an extremely high barrier to entry. Thus, our strategy is to win the fierce battle among a small number of competitors, creating a supporting rock for the Company’s profit.
    To raise our chances for success, we adopted tactics that concentrated our efforts on our most powerful IPs, FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST, and we did not pursue other MMO projects before the success of these two titles was ensured. More concretely, “FINAL FANTASY XI” was to be continued for as long as possible; “FINAL FANTASY XIV” was to be launched in 2010 in Japan, North America, and Europe, and then in China from 2011; and “DRAGON QUEST X,” a DRAGON QUEST MMO, was planned for launch in 2012 in Japan. However, we stumbled at the launch of “FINAL FANTASY XIV.” Not only was the FINAL FANTASY brand damaged, but the Company’s profit planning was undermined, and deployment of development staff was also affected. This was a challenging time for the Company, but I stood fast that we should not change our original plan. In order to revive the FINAL FANTASY brand and to regain trust in the MMO market, we chose not to shut down “FINAL FANTASY XIV.” We are treading the thorny path of continuously improving the existing service while simultaneously working to renovate the game fundamentally. Due to the initial stumble, most players had left the game during the first six months, but more than a year later, in early 2012, we began charging for the game, and we realized that the game had regained more trust from our players than we had expected. The number of players has increased since we began charging. We have successfully brought the game back on track. “FINAL FANTASY XIV” is eyeing a full comeback with the release of its fundamentally revamped version between 2012 and 2013. I am confident that the title will be one of the main profit generators for us. Furthermore, the development of “DRAGON QUEST X” is proceeding smoothly toward its 2012 launch.
    While taking two years longer than we originally planned, this fiscal year we finally completed the work of correcting the path of our business in the MMO category. I believe that we have been able to demonstrate our strong commitment to the brand, as well as the ability to take action in order to overcome difficulties. By the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013, these MMO games will provide more revenues and in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, further contribute to our profit.

===============================================================================================

source - http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/policy/message2012_2.html