Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So excluding Crafting: What Do PvEers Want???

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

What do the PvE community want in terms of gameplay from a MMO, that doesn't include Crafting?

Because over the months I have seen countless complaining about the bordom of PvE in MMOs  over the years.

so what's the solution to improving PvE. What is fun about it? 

What makes PvE dull to you?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    a huge world to explore - and incentive rewards to do so
  • ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Cheboygan
    a huge world to explore - and incentive rewards to do so

And lots of roaming monsters.  I would like to atually hunt for my prey, versus having them all stand in one spot and respawning in that same spot.  Roamers and runners.  I would like to have monsters actually run up and surprise me.  :)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Who knows, it will always run out. PvE is fun for a bit, but it always gets tedious eventually. I never fought for PvE and always lean more towards the PvP because it usually lasts longer in a game.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Myself I want to play a game with a skill system that lets me learn everything, craft everything, own a place of land that I can put hundreds of usefull things on, and fly.

So far none let me do all that :(

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Exploration is huge for me.  Rift did a lot right with Cairns and Puzzles.  Rare Spawns are also a good incentive.  I know people in the end will just look up locations, solutions, and spawn timers.  But I enjoy the hunt, and generally opt out of Googling it. 

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I would like to see a PvE with a survival ideal.  Game starts wih very little.  Playes must build and develop locals.  Separate areas to control and maintain for benefits (Mines, lumber mil, etc.) NPC guards to maintain and equip, upgrade areas.  Then you have surges of mobs.  If areas are undefended and not maintained then things get destroyed.  Guilds can control and maintain, but to stop super guilds you limit how much they can maintain.

You could even add a type of PvP to this where different cities can strive to control areas.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

For my personal tastes,

- A large world I can get lost in, that isn't packed with mobs every few feet.  Beautiful, detailed places with no mobs and no reason to go there, that you discover.

- Open dungeons to explore that don't involve raid mechanics and studying before entering.

- Features that create positive interactions with other players, such as buffing/curing at gathering locations (pubs/med centers), music systems, housing.

- Classes that are actually fun and don't later have the fun stripped from them because they are unbalanced in pvp.  And feeling stronger as I level, rather than weaker despite not having raid gear.

- Slower leveling pace with many zones and options for leveling.

What makes pve dull for me is having nothing but combat, reaching max level quickly, and then being offered daily quests, repeatable dungeons requiring a perfect group setup, and raids.  I look for games with other things to do, interactions with other players that doesn't involve pick up groups,  and a class that's actually fun to play (which I haven't found in a long while).

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

- To not be labeled a "PvE'er" just because that may be one activity (of many) which I enjoy doing in MMORPGs.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

lmao great question.

For me to enjoy pve, I need deep, complex character development and itemization.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Myself I want to play a game with a skill system that lets me learn everything, craft everything, own a place of land that I can put hundreds of usefull things on, and fly.

So far none let me do all that :(

Minecraft or Terraria.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    gearless progression -- like the Everquest AA system
  • SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

PVE players are not just about crafting. its meaningful crafting for one thing. Land management. Random spawns on mobs. Like the one guy said i would love to be surprised by a mob attack. Exploration is also key. UO had some rare random spawns  that would pop up from time to time and they dropped rare items at the spawn. And while im on rare items i would love to see really rare items brought back,not even useable items like rare weapons but like decorations, like uo had. Like rare blood tiles rare marble tables rare rocks for decorations. so much could be done with this and nobody has even touched it.

While all those rares in UO were a mistake and not really ment to be there it created a entire community just in the collections of rare items. I was one of those collectors and had so much fun doing it.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Cherise

For my personal tastes,

- A large world I can get lost in, that isn't packed with mobs every few feet.  Beautiful, detailed places with no mobs and no reason to go there, that you discover.

- Open dungeons to explore that don't involve raid mechanics and studying before entering.

- Features that create positive interactions with other players, such as buffing/curing at gathering locations (pubs/med centers), music systems, housing.

- Classes that are actually fun and don't later have the fun stripped from them because they are unbalanced in pvp.  And feeling stronger as I level, rather than weaker despite not having raid gear.

- Slower leveling pace with many zones and options for leveling.

What makes pve dull for me is having nothing but combat, reaching max level quickly, and then being offered daily quests, repeatable dungeons requiring a perfect group setup, and raids.  I look for games with other things to do, interactions with other players that doesn't involve pick up groups,  and a class that's actually fun to play (which I haven't found in a long while).

I like this list. I would like a deeper way of handling lore and to have only incidental storylines that players can uncover indirectly instead of questhubs and handholding storylines. I mean, games like WoW and ToR are engaging to play through the first time through, but I can't play alts very easily in them because I find after a point that it gets boring to do the same quests in the same places at the same level range (though WoW is not as limiting at ToR is).

Either that or you need lots and lots of places to level up in like in EQ2.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I like exploring, and discovering the different stories each place has. Really like logic puzzles as well.
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Really Big Open World for Eploration

The best from Rift /GW2/UO/EQ2/AC   (  no quest hubs tho.  )

Plus lots of open world big group stuff  to do ( Rift/GW2 style but better done)  and less dungeons just not a fan of them.

Crafting / Trading  of course.

Make the Toons fun to play - Nice AA system also -  this is where you can fine tune him /her.

Hey i can Dream. :)

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

A PvE game to me means a virtual world to live in, not just fighting NPC mobs.

To that end, there needs to be lots of activities to do in this virtual world:

- exploration -- the world should be large, open, and interesting

- harvesting -- this is a reason to explore, to find new areas with new resources

- crafting -- a must for any virtual world, and crafted items must always be better than dropped. A good way to do this is for mobs to drop only materials used in crafting items, not the items themsevles. So, no dropped Sword+1+Fire, but perhaps a +Fire mat drops, so a crafter can make that sword.

- other activities: diplomacy, gambling, mini-games, etc

I kind of like Vanguard's PvE: lots of different factions to gain 'coin' in, and stuff to buy with that 'coin'. Dungeons, not instanced, and lots of different mobs with different  behaviors.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

What do the PvE community want in terms of gameplay from a MMO, that doesn't include Crafting?

Because over the months I have seen countless complaining about the bordom of PvE in MMOs  over the years.

so what's the solution to improving PvE. What is fun about it? 

What makes PvE dull to you?

I can't speak for other CareBears, but what I look for is an entertaining combat system, coupled with good graphics (TERA comes to mind) good weapon/armor models and many different types of mobs.  A good AH (I really hate player shops), and decent lore.  What makes PvE dull is not having something like dungeon finder, so I have to waste my play time spaming LFG in order to see the dungeon content.

Not to mention having my PvE hammered to pander to the PvP crowd.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    When I log in, I want to feel like feel like I've just stumbled through a wardrobe and found myself in a snowy wood with a mysterious lamppost just standing there.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    A varied mix of challenging and relaxing PVE activities, clearly.  Activities which can be mastered, to feel like you're growing in addition to your character.  Activities which fit a player's expectations for what they'd like to do within a game world.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I think there are many types of PVE players, and some PVE players might even be 50/50 PVE/PVP.

For me personally it's all about the immersion, the world, the adventures, the social life in the game, the challenges (either personal or collective).

So what I want is: A big gameworld, Cool and creative eye candy that fits the setting (shouldn't technically be top notch), a lot of challenging and attractive routines like dungeons and group quests, reasons for players to interact with each other.

I think that most important things are not physical things in the game. But rather conceptual things like politics, or lore, or objectives.

Some people only seek a coop game with solid progression feeling.

Those that are complaining about leveling in WoW could probably play the game without Azeroth, without cities etc. They only need a mailbox, an AH, crafting stations and the dungeons.

Progression is important, but it can have many dimensions.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Hard 5 Man or Duo content with rewards similar to raids. Crafting should be on par with Dungeon/Raid gear as well. I don't really care beyond the stupid gear discrepency that has been in MMO's until some more recent ones that are coming out.

Raids aren't fun because they are easier than true one group content designed to be hard, because there is always that handicap for the 5 or so people who are just bads.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Never ending personalized content with high tier actors instead of just "voice" talent .  I want my moody sullen warrior to sound like Johnny Depp.  :).    I want a personalized playground that I may or may not share with others.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Simple really - an adventure.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Simple really - an adventure.

this

and more: large world + hidden items to sell at AH, great choice of customization, fly mounts, lot of dungeons, dungeon finder, many monthly events - WoW

great graphic, large choice of char customization - GW2, Tera

dynamic events, easy grouping - Rift, GW2

great skill trees, large skill customization - Rift, WoW

endless fun, lot to do, game MUST keep me busy, not to be in slow motion, not hard (or make hard mod for anyone who like it) and give me lot of choices of activities.

I want to relax at fishing, have choice to grow my garden and have my house there.

I don't need hard challenges to be my daily play option, but can be for HM, special occasion etc.
    Personally I don't need raids as it asking lot of grind + preparation + co-ordination, but I don't mind to have these.

well, I would like to have an easy but large game for casual fan.
    for hardcore players I would suggest to add or hard mod or server apart from casual to avoid complains.

also I can suggest to have option to move to *hard* server if anyone feel ready for it and kick from there servers anyone who fail there.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2