Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOP 5 most popular games?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
which  are top 5 most pupular games now

Comments

• MastrshadowMastrshadow Member UncommonPosts: 16
    *Points at 'Most Popular Games' widget on the front page*
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

#1 Guild Wars 2   9,820,537 Hits

#2The Secret World 3,093,288 Hits

#3Star Wars: The Old Republic 3,036,268 Hits

#4TERA 1,711,555 Hits

#5Rift 1,482,734 Hits

#6Diablo 3 1,328,235 Hits

#7Elder Scrolls Online 1,118,076 Hits

#8World of Warcraft 1,089,589 Hits

#9Aion 924,373 Hits

#10EVE Online 826,915 Hits

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    yeah that looks right  image
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Problem with that widget is it simply shows how popular the sections covering those games are on this site alone, in addition, as we all know, some of those numbers reflect people who frequent those forums due to their hatred for a game rather than because they like it or are interested in it.

Therefore, while it could be one variable, you aren't getting the whole picture from that.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Problem with that widget is it simply shows how popular the sections covering those games are on this site alone, in addition, as we all know, some of those numbers reflect people who frequent those forums due to their hatred for a game rather than because they like it or are interested in it.

Therefore, while it could be one variable, you aren't getting the whole picture from that.

seems thats the definition of popular :)

it have fans and haters

if somethng is not popular it have less fans and haters

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by saurus123

it have fans and haters

Any publicity is good publicity? Yes indeed.

The poor haters try so hard. It must be frustrating, at times.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

Popular in terms of western players players -

1.) World of Warcraft (9+ million active players.)

2.) Guild (2+ million active players.)

3.) Eve (500k+ active players.)

4.) Rift (100k+ active players.)

5.) The Secret World (50k+ players.)

I've only bothered to mention games I actually like/play, but that's probably very similar to the actual list anyway.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by saurus123

it have fans and haters

Any publicity is good publicity? Yes indeed.

The poor haters try so hard. It must be frustrating, at times.

Yes but it does lead to some hilarious results.

"This game sucks!" "What game?" "Game X" "Oh I've never heard of Game X" "Well it sucks" "Does it? Hmmm. Guess I'll go see what this is all about." "Hey Larry, ever heard of Game X" "Why no, what is it?" "I'm not sure but people sure seem to be talking about it."

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Malacth
    Popular in terms of western players players - 1.) World of Warcraft (9+ million active players.)2.) Guild (2+ million active players.)3.) Eve (500k+ active players.)4.) Rift (100k+ active players.)5.) The Secret World (50k+ players.) I've only bothered to mention games I actually like/play, but that's probably very similar to the actual list anyway.

sorry to asking: but how do you know how many players are active at GW2? I think this game is over hype again and show wrong statistic, as to me 2 mil copies sold is not = 2 mil of active users.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I've only bothered to mention games I actually like/play, but that's probably very similar to the actual list anyway.

GW2 has no where close to 2 million active players, I would be shocked if it was even 200k.  If you look at sites like Raptr, it has about the same player activity as Rift and SWTOR.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Just random guess, but it would go something like this:

1. World of Warcraft

2. Eve

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Rift

5. Path of Exile

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/articles/2013

EVE just hit 500k subscriptions.

Clearly, FFA PvP sandbox games are doomed to fail ;)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228

World of Warcraft is for sure on first place.

1-WOW 9mil-10mil subscribers (players)

2-Rest of the games-- 5mi-6mil players

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Malcanis

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/articles/2013

EVE just hit 500k subscriptions.

Clearly, FFA PvP sandbox games are doomed to fail ;)

Absolutely, I mean who can run a proper MMORPG on roughly 90M/year gross, would hardly cover the cost of the voice acting in SWTOR.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

sorry to asking: but how do you know how many players are active at GW2? I think this game is over hype again and show wrong statistic, as to me 2 mil copies sold is not = 2 mil of active users.

Well it's sold 3+ million copies, and growing in sales every month, so I'm assuming it's around the 2million active players mark, maybe 1-2million, but still no less than 1million active players, my guess though is very close to 2million. (by active I mean someone who has played their account in the last month.)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by zomard100

2-Rest of the WESTERN games-- 5mi-6mil players

fixed it for you.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by bcbully

2-Rest of the Games that matter to most western people -- 5mi-6mil players

fixed it for you.

Double fix! :D EDIT: added most for clarity, as it was mostly sarcasm from my part.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Well it's sold 3+ million copies, and growing in sales every month, so I'm assuming it's around the 2million active players mark, maybe 1-2million, but still no less than 1million active players, my guess though is very close to 2million. (by active I mean someone who has played their account in the last month.)

Maybe you should replace the "western" with "global", because otherwise your numbers are complete nonsense in case of WoW and EvE. But then again in a global context TSW or Rift wouldnt even make it into this list. Maybe not even EvE. And add "or so I wildly guess" behind the Rift, GW2 and TSW numbers to prevent someone might misunderstand your charts as credible data.

I'll agree with WoW, Eve and Rift. 

But most, if not all, of TSW players are actually from western markets (I don't think it's even released in eastern markets?)

I don't really think it's a wild guess with GW2, having sold over 3 million copies, and probably nearing 4 million, it probably does have 1-2million active players (someone who has played in the last month.)

So, yeah.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Your math is fuzzy as hell on all of this.  Post sources on all of it or GTFO!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Says GW2 sold 3 million copies, thinks theres still 2 million active players... 66% retention rate 7 months down the road for an MMO?

Not a chance in hell, GW2 is no where near two million active players.

Also active player would more likely mean a player that is actually playing the game regularly, not signing in once in the last month.

A simple google search from you would have proved my 3+million number correct.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-15-guild-wars-2-sales-are-over-3-million

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Says GW2 sold 3 million copies, thinks theres still 2 million active players... 66% retention rate 7 months down the road for an MMO?

Not a chance in hell, GW2 is no where near two million active players.

Also active player would more likely mean a player that is actually playing the game regularly, not signing in once in the last month.

GW2 is the only MMO in recent years to continue to sell very large quantities of the game 7 months down the road, so who's to say they cannot also break the retention rate stigma too? Most people I know who purchased the game still play, which is more than any MMO I can remember in recent years. 

But then again who is to say anything about retention rate, not me or you, mine was just a guesstimation, only ArenaNet can confirm that.

That said though, GW2 continues to make a lot of money for NCSoft, more than any of their other games. So I'm basing my estimation on GW2 box sales, NCSoft profit from the game and the fact it's the only MMO in years to continue to sell in large quantities months after release. Better than your estimation based on previous MMO's retention rates I think.

An well WoW considers an active player as someone who has played in the past month, so yeah, I'll stick with their definition of it.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

1-WOW 9mil-10mil subscribers (players) (7-8 Million in Far East)

2-Rest of the games-- 5mi-6mil players

Most of the players in wow are from the far east and only pay by the hour but are counted towards active subs.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

as sub game I would say WoW is the best, followed by EvE, then Rift.

as f2p it's more hard to tell what is the best, they often split by category, so better to see review, IMO.

about GW2: it's good for console game, for MMO it's not worth to pay 60$ to be bored within max 3 months, IMO for sure, but I guess it wiser to try free to download non-sub games like Aion, Tera, LotRO, Vanguard, DDO: even if you don't like them it free to try.

I think GW2 need to be stabilized (not change gameplay every like 1-2 months), get larger and cost less, so I would suggest to start it in 1 year from now. Sure it's just an advise, all choice is up to every one.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Maybe you should replace the "western" with "global", because otherwise your numbers are complete nonsense in case of WoW and EvE. But then again in a global context TSW or Rift wouldnt even make it into this list. Maybe not even EvE. And add "or so I wildly guess" behind the Rift, GW2 and TSW numbers to prevent someone might misunderstand your charts as credible data.

GW2 is not yet available in the Far East yet. The game is only in Americas and Europe areas, so far.