Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EVE Online: Ten Years & Half a Million Subscribers

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

CCP Games has just announced that EVE Online has surpassed the half-million subscriber mark, an astonishing thing for a ten year old game. We recently had the opportunity to talk with CEO Hilmar Pétursson and CMO David Reid about this exciting announcement and what lies ahead for EVE. Check it out before lending your voice to the conversation in the comments.

Today marks a seminal point in the MMO space with the announcement that EVE Online has surpassed the half-million subscriber mark. What makes this so astonishing in today’s generally declining subscription MMO market is the fact that EVE is marking its tenth year since release. Few games, including the-one-which-must-not-be-named, can make any such claim and yet here we are.

Read more of Suzie Ford's EVE Online: Ten Years & Half a Million Subscribers.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Niche games live longer and continue to grow in population. Congrats CCP!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    I really should get into this game.. have played a few times over the years but never spent that much time playing.. time to change that i think.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    I really should get into this game.. have played a few times over the years but never spent that much time playing.. time to change that i think.

If ya need help I'll be heading back to EVE in mid march ^^.

"In addition, convention attendees will have a chance to take part in an epic in-game event that CCP is keeping under its hat for the time being." - I think this might be linked to either Incursions, Sleepers, Jovians, maybe all 3 especially considering the existence of the SoCT cruiser/battlecruiser on the test server currently.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Best MMO hands down. Congrats CCP!

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    best & only real mmo on market ,congratz CCP !
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Heck, if I hadn't cancelled recently due to work demands on my free time they would have had 5 million and 3 subs.

Really great game and if/when I get some more free time to play I'll be returning for another go around.

An amazing mark considering how few sub based MMO's can hold this mark for any length of time, and it's nice to see that CCP has found the perfect storm of features to appeal to solid "niche" of gamers.

I always wonder if they had taken the money spent on Dust514 and sunk it into really developing the walking in station concept, perhaps even to extending it to some sort of ship boarding combat model if the title could have been doing even better.

Oh well, I'm sure CCP isn't unhappy at this point and understandable why they are staying the course, when things are working well, you don't screw with them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i myself do not enjoy or like EVE but at the same time i agree its a good game and tehy deserve any credit they get alot of work gose into it.

i just dont enjoy that style of gameplay

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    wow, grats to CCP. I'v tryed the game a few times but never got into it, but still I'm glad that they are doing well.
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i myself do not enjoy or like EVE but at the same time i agree its a good game and tehy deserve any credit they get alot of work gose into it.

Do humanity a favour and have 50 kids, we could really use people who don't trash what they don't like :)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it might not ever have the numbers of WoW, but you can bet your arse Wow won't be seeing an INCREASE in subs on its 10th birthday!

WTG to one of the best games ever for the PC in any genre.  From, admittedly, one of your biggest fans.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

I saw the epic battle in the news and then i started play.

It's a good game with a good community.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Do humanity a favour and have 50 kids, we could really use people who don't trash what they don't like :)

oh gods no i hate kids and, population is to high as it is

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Do it for humanity son, go out there and bunny it up ! XD

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I like the game even free leaving and coming back from 2004 for few months at a time. It's been fun and always cool to play. Congrats CCP
  • John_GrimmJohn_Grimm Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Congrats CCP, you guys deserv it. :)

Steel and Iron guard me well,
    or else i'm doomed and damned
    to Hell!

• clipwhiteclipwhite Member Posts: 28
    I started playing the game earlier this month and I am really enjoying it.  Congrats to CCP, it shows how believing in something and diligently pursuing it pays off.  I will be visiting that display at the museum in March as well!
  • xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    best game, hands down and only game i am playing on and off for 8 years :P
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Do it for humanity son, go out there and bunny it up ! XD

hahaha... :D yeah, he could.. +1

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Good for CCP.  I tried to like Eve countless times and tried liking it in countless several ways, but alas the game is just not for me.  To bad becuase the genre needs more options for space themed sci-fi MMOs.  Since our options of sci fi games are limited I can see how they have a steady rise in population.  Is it the only reason for the increase?  No, but I feel it's a good part of it.  If we had as many options for space themed games with a paid sub as we do with fantasy MMOs then I think this story would be a little different.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

My first introduction to an mmo -  was an active player for 4.5 years.

Iam glad it wasnt orcs, elves or knights on mounts. Now its a simpler life for me GW2 n TSW.

congrats to them!-who knows, i may visit space once again.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Isn't RuneScape even older and has even more subscribers?

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by sacredfool
    Isn't RuneScape even older and has even more subscribers?

Isn't Runescape browser only, F2P and a themepark? Good comparison though, next we'll compare WoW (9mil) vs World of tanks (40 mil).

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Just played Eve for the past 3 months, my thrid time playing it. I love the game but when all you do is pvp in a large coalition you wait around for fleet pings more often than you actually fight. Not to mention the roams that take hours just to get no fights. I'll return in the summer when the carrier skills are changed up a bit, but one can only take so much of 75% waiting, 15% traveling, and 10% pvp.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Considering that a large percent of the player base has two active subscriptions or more (I have three accounts myself), the number of subs may be 500K but the number of players is probably more in the range of 200K.

I took a poll in my alliance forums recently, asking how many people in our alliance only had the one active sub.  Turns out that only 11 people had a single account, and oddly they were all Aussies.

Originally posted by Mithrundir
    Just played Eve for the past 3 months, my thrid time playing it. I love the game but when all you do is pvp in a large coalition you wait around for fleet pings more often than you actually fight. Not to mention the roams that take hours just to get no fights. I'll return in the summer when the carrier skills are changed up a bit, but one can only take so much of 75% waiting, 15% traveling, and 10% pvp.

Try wormhole PVP corps or Factional Warfare alliances (got a friend who's doing some FW with his alt... he's praying not to get so much pvp XD and it's mostly solo affairs or small group skirmishes so it isn't "who got mo caps!" affairs).