Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need new keyboard

ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

So about 4 months ago I purchased a Razer Black Widow keyboard. Now it has a short in it somewhere and only works when a jangle the cord around the right way. So I'm looking for recommendations. Before the black widow I used a cheap 10 or 20 dollar rosewill keyboard for a good while.

Thanks,

TJ

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

DUCKY

lol done.

Personally, I am going to buy a Tt eSports mechanical keyboard soon.  Can't recommend it until I use it.  However, alot of people complement the Ducky models.  I would get one with Cherry MX Brown switches.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Cleffy

DUCKY

lol done.

If you need a good mechanical keyboard, sure. Ducky makes one hell of a great keyboard. Otherwise just buy another cheap-o 20-30 dollar keyboard. No reason to blow a bunch of money on a fancy gaming keyboard. The greater majority of gaming keyboards are way overpriced for functionality that is generally fluff.  In my opinion (and the poster above it seems) that money is better spent elsewhere or on a truly nice mechanical keyboard that will last.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Send it in for warranty replacement.  Buy a cheap one while it's out, if you don't have one lying around already.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Cleffy

DUCKY

lol done.

Personally, I am going to buy a Tt eSports mechanical keyboard soon.  Can't recommend it until I use it.  However, alot of people complement the Ducky models.  I would get one with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Just beware that they are horrible if you use voice communication.  

You make me like charity

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Is there some reason why a cheap $20 keyboard won't meet your needs?
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I never understood the point of those expensive keyboards.  I've always just used the cheapo one.  Mice however I like the razer naga for MMOs :)  I don't know how I ever played without the 12 buttons on the side :)
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

you can send your razer keyboard back for fixing :<

steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard is also good, can handle alot of mashing to it its like a tank xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Maybe for the same reason we don't all use paper plates, cardboard boxes instead of coffee tables etc. It's nice to buy something well made :)

@The OP i bought one of these recently http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#ov cherry red switches on the keys and has to be the most solid feeling keyboard i've ever bought. It's built like a tank.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'd suggest going to some large electronic store that has keyboards on display and lets you test a bit how the keys feel, then choose the one that feels best. It's about personal preference and there's no choise that would be good or bad for everyone.

Personally I love Logitech K800, it feels good when writing. But it's just me, and other people have different tastes.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I replaced my Razer Black Widow Ultimate with my current keyboard and I honestly couldn't be happier.  Mind you I'm in the camp that is willing to more to get exactly what I want so it might not be for everyone.

Ducky Shine 2 10 Keyless Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown w/blue backlighting)

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=168

Sold out as usual but that site is pretty good if you are in the market for mechanical keyboards.  I was looking for as little a desktop footprint as I could find at the time without feeling awkward.  I would have gone for a Vortex but they didn't have the backlight color/Cherry MX Brown combo I wanted.

Another good site to check out if you aren't familiar with the various types of mechanical keyboards and how they differ is here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

• Fornax123Fornax123 Member UncommonPosts: 36

I've been using the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboards since the late 1990s.  I spend 12+ hours a day between work and play pounding on one and don't think I'll ever use anything else.  They are extremely comfortable, relatively affordable and reliable...  I probably get about  2 years out of each of mine.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000

Just my two pennies.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I was going to grab a Black Widow myself, but I heard of all the quality control issues with them.  I saw the Logitech G710+ in MicroCenter and played around with it a little and loved it.  I've had it about a month now and it's a great keyboard.  The Brown switches are perfect and it's built really well.    

I had a really hard time choosing between the Logitech and a Ducky, but they Ducky was always out of stock online....could never find the color/switch I wanted and being that this was going to be my first mechanical keyboard, I really wanted to try the switches first.  MicroCenter had several brands, with different switches to try out....I fell in love with the browns on the Logitech, and the white LED's match the rest of my setup.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I never understood the point of those expensive keyboards.

A mechanical keyboard is like writing on an old keyboard typists used to have, it gives feedback.

If you turn a lock do you expect the right resistance and a satisfying CLICK when it clicks into place or would you want a mushy key that never seems to go anywhere, and only gives feedback at the very end.

If turning a key didn't give the right resistance and didn't click into place you'd say:

"There is something wrong with this lock"

That's what you'll say to every other normal keyboard after having used a mechanical keyboard, they will feel mushy and weird, they'll feel wrong.

Another thing with mechanical keyboard is that unlike mushy keys you can semi-press them, a mushy keyboard needs to be fully pressed 100% down before it registers, a mechanical keyboard can be pressed halfway and it will register the stroke.

If you wonder why some people type so ridiculously fast, many type on mechanical keyboards, the half-press makes you type much faster.

It's only after using a mechanical keyboard that you realise how horrible normal keyboards actually are.

The industry didn't switch to mushy (membrane) keyboards because they're better, but because they are far cheaper to make.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Fornax123

I've been using the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboards since the late 1990s.  I spend 12+ hours a day between work and play pounding on one and don't think I'll ever use anything else.  They are extremely comfortable, relatively affordable and reliable...  I probably get about  2 years out of each of mine.

Just my two pennies.

that is exactly what i use, the ting is awsome, although i wish i could find a ergonomic keyboard with lit keys cause i tend to be in a dark room at night

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

http://www.amazon.com/review/B009SJR28W/ref=cm_cr_prvoterdr?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1#RVY5VFU1QMQ1J.2115.Helpful.Reviews

I have this one, and I love it.  So how did your Razer kb get a short?  Pet damage?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510

Love my keyboard. Tons of macro keys and a good deal.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Fornax123Fornax123 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Fornax123

Just my two pennies.

that is exactly what i use, the ting is awsome, although i wish i could find a ergonomic keyboard with lit keys cause i tend to be in a dark room at night

It's funny you mention that.  I had exactly the same issue and solved it with a little bendable USB LED light and a strip of duct tape!    I just mounted the light so that it hangs about 6 inches above the keyboard pointing down illuminating just the keys.  Works perfect and doesn't interfere with my vision as the light is pointed down.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Marirranya

you can send your razer keyboard back for fixing :<

steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard is also good, can handle alot of mashing to it its like a tank xD

I just had a Steelseries go bad - short in the keyboard after 2 years. Not buying one again although I did tlike the built-in game pad.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

So about 4 months ago I purchased a Razer Black Widow keyboard. Now it has a short in it somewhere and only works when a jangle the cord around the right way. So I'm looking for recommendations. Before the black widow I used a cheap 10 or 20 dollar rosewill keyboard for a good while.

Thanks,

TJ

Playing games where you sit for a long time in front of your computer using the keyboard I would recomend you to allways use mecanic boards not those soft buttom like those in laptops, you spill some beer on it and it is dead:-) Just a friendly advice incase you also drink beer vile playing. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Thanks,

TJ

Playing games where you sit for a long time in front of your computer using the keyboard I would recomend you to allways use mecanic boards not those soft buttom like those in laptops, you spill some beer on it and it is dead:-) Just a friendly advice incase you also drink beer vile playing. 

Everyone knows you use a beer hat while gaming. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**