Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your main reason for playing a MMO game?

2»

Comments

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Afraid this isn't appropriate to the "choose one" polling method.

I'd pick at least six, and maybe all of them.

Would be a nice 1-10 scale poll, if this website offered that option.

Actually, that would be a very good feature. Polls seem to be popular here, and I've seen quite a few that would benefit from that option.

Myself, just as in the first reply, if I had to pick one, I'd have to put the "alternate reality" at the top. It sounds a bit cheesy when you word it like that, I guess; what I mean is just immersion, a richly realized gameworld. I'd also probably put exploration in there with it, as to me the two are often pretty closely related.

Then comes community interaction, depth of options and character progression, all carry pretty much the same weight with me, and all are hugely important.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Community interaction

Depth of content, objectives, options

Character progression/development

Exploring

there are others but these are some of the main ones.

I cant pick just one either....Your list is about spot on for me too.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Community interaction

Depth of content, objectives, options

Character progression/development

Exploring

there are others but these are some of the main ones.

I cant pick just one either....Your list is about spot on for me too.

Picking one is difficult but usually there is one main mechanic/system/feature that draws us towards playing. Thanks for all the great replies so far.

Rhino

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Good fun combat, unique settings, good progression, and well scripted content.

And before anyone asks, no .. these criteria are not MMO specifics, and can apply to other games.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

I voted "alternate reality" because that most closely entails all that I want. But many of the other options are part of that.

Basically, I want the fantasy of a world that's "magical", and I want depth in a worldly sense. "Living" in a fantasy world, but not just living, I want excitement, lore, and that feeling of ancient danger and mystery. 

ya i voted that too...I really want a game that can draw me in like that.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'm with Icewhite, the "choose only one" is n/a on this subject, there's no One reason to rul... play them mmo's :)

In my case, even if I strip down the "lesser" ones like crafting and economy, character development, explore and roleplay (which isn't on the list btw), there are still the content depth and community left... And both are on the same level for me.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    It is interesting to see that it is only the 22% who play for Charecter development who are dictating how we play in a modern MMO.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I can't possibly choose only one, as there are several factors that come into play.

#1. World PvP - I will not play a game that is polluted with dedicated pvp areas or instanced pvp.

#2. Freedom and real exploration - I will not a play a game where the world sizes are only a few hundred meters off the main path, e.g., surrounded by invisible walls or mountains.

#3. I will not play a game that is purely story driven, e.g., SWTOR. Story is fine, but don't make me, as well as a million others, to be this special little snowflake in the universe.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I put alternate reality. A lot of the other options are required for that to work though i.e. community, depth, crafting and exploring but their *purpose* is making the world more worldy.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Basically world and content are really very much the same. The world contains the content. To me, content is what sort of game systems are in place as well as the environment. Storylines are just one type of content that can be available. Getting lost in a virtual world is getting lost in the available content, therefore I chose content over world. If the game has poorly conceived content, it stands to reason that the world is not immersive.

Just my two cents.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Story for me. Which is why I am playing Swtor

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• blackeyefookesblackeyefookes Member Posts: 5
    I'm personally the guy who likes to figure out everything about classes. It's fun learning about how things work in video games in general. I play for character progression, I spare no class and leave no skill unturned. I also love to make a persona for my characters whether or not others know that I am doing so.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I couldn't pick one option to vote on. Community would be the number one thing but it would have to be a community that is held together by something other than raiding or just doing end game content together. For it to be a different world that I can get into it has to be challenging to the point that you have to think about it to accomplish something. There has to be consequences to your actions that make you think about what you will do. Everyone has to band together to some degree to do anything. Otherwise it's just a large number of people moving from point A to point B and passing by each other.
  • bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23
    Feels like an alternate reality cause Sword Art Online :).
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I selected crafting and trading. But I do little trading, what I do trade are mostly loot drops. I see crafting as a way to equip my characters in their development.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

I voted "alternate reality" because that most closely entails all that I want. But many of the other options are part of that.

Basically, I want the fantasy of a world that's "magical", and I want depth in a worldly sense. "Living" in a fantasy world, but not just living, I want excitement, lore, and that feeling of ancient danger and mystery. 

Yes I agree with this. It's exactly why I play MMOs. However, I have not found the mmo I would consider to be the "one".

Same here Amaranthat, The best i found was Everquest one however nothing else realy offers it anymore. To be honost the 2 biggest kick in the crouch for this for me are instances and lack of death penalty i feel these are the two major causes of not being able to immerse myself into a game. Reason why :

Instances : instances detatch you from the game being in a place where only u or your group can be and no one else is not very immersive not to mention when you go into that situation you remove alot of the unpredicitability which also helps with immersion imo.

Lack of Death Penalty : Without a death penalty your acualy want to advoid happening, you no longer get the feeling of fear and danger in the world not to mention those heart beating moments of finishing the mob off or just escaping a hoard of angry mobs chasing you out of the zone with a couple % of HP remaining. On another topic mob leashing after 10 meters is just as bad :P Everquest one incorperated mob leashes and death penalty the best imho, The death penalty also helped bring the community together aswell imo. 

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426
    I chosed PvP bc i do love to engage with others in a good fight....

It is a question of fangs.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Character progression and development hands down. I have numbers, and they need to be higher.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.