Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Upcoming game YYY is not living up to my expectations therefore it suffers identity crysis zoommmg!!!!

Thread no. 298134...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Agreed!

This doesn't seem even remotely an Elder Scrolls based game - it's just using the name to create interest and is focusing all the attention on RvR.

Skyrim had 200+ dungeons.

TESO will probably have like 10.

Skyrim had a main plot line + a half dozen or more fully fleshed out storylines.

TESO will probably have the 3 - one for each faction, and a bunch of pointless side quests.

Skyrim and all other major TES RPGs have been 1st person FPS RPG combat.

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder tab target combat.

Skyrim had open skill based progression and no racial restrictions.

TESO is pseudo-class based and race/faction locked.

The biggest one-

Elder Scrolls has always been single player RPG and players have long, long hoped for co-op functionality.

TESO is apparently primarily based on PvP - not even primarily based on co-op multiplayer.

Identity crisis is right!

BadSpock, you of all people know the pitfall of making arguments based on assumptions. You argued against many a user in the GW2 and SWTOR forums who did the exact thing you did above.

Come on, it's obvious that the game will be different from it's single player counterpart. That's a given. But we don't need to invent assumptive nonesense to try to make points.

Very true, though I think it is ironic that I and others have to ASSUME about the PVE in TESO so much because all they are freaking advertising is the RvR...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The biggest one-

Elder Scrolls has always been single player RPG and players have long, long hoped for co-op functionality.

TESO is apparently primarily based on PvP - not even primarily based on co-op multiplayer.

I am one of them that still longs for a singleplayer co-op TES game, because that actually can come close to the FEEL of the singleplayer series without the hassle of thousands of players wanting to do the same things. So hopefully next Elders Scrolls singleplayer series might have co-op options.

TESO not a singleplayer co-op game but seems to be set in the MMORPG genre....right?

I do however hope that exploring will also be or become a major part of the game cause in that aspect MMO's should go far beyond the sizes of worlds found in singleplayer game if only due to the amount of players around.

But please anyone explain how a MMORPG could be made where your action actually effects the full ingameworld pve-wise, making unique or rare quests?, just doesn't work well for a MMO long term, cause rare or unique is found almost right away thanks to our internet. And while you or I might not be those who look up things, there are plenty around who will.

I'm not even into PVP, atleast not with MMO's, but a TES game that brings me something differents then what I already love got my attention.

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58

Agreed!

This doesn't seem even remotely an Elder Scrolls based game - it's just using the name to create interest and is focusing all the attention on RvR.

Oh yes MMO dungeon and SP game dungeon are same thing. If they want to make 200+ dungeons of three types (and pretty short) i would be disapoited. Id rather take 10good and diverse ones.

Skyrim had a main plot line + a half dozen or more fully fleshed out storylines.

TESO will probably have the 3 - one for each faction, and a bunch of pointless side quests.

There will be character storyline, faction storyline and many sidequests. (well maybe there will be fighters guild and mages guild storyline)

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder hotbar combat.

I played skyrim 99% in 3rd person mode ... plus 3rd person in MMOs is norm. No MMO player wants lame box over their head.

This is only think i can relate to ... as UO and EvE player ... i don't like Xp systems.

The biggest one-

PvP id ultimate form of Co-Op ... you have to cooperate to kill other players. Plus you can't make MMO based only on PvE it would fail hard.

NOPE!

I see one flaw in your logic ...

Skyrim was SP game

TESO is MMORPG

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gdemami

Upcoming game YYY is not living up to my expectations therefore it suffers identity crysis zoommmg!!!!
    Thread no. 298134...

Maybe actually read and comprehend the arguements before saying something irrelevant?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Exactly everyone who wanted a Co-OP TES game assumed TESO would be that. The didn't read the part where TESO is a MMORPG.

Co-Op games and MMO's are not the same...

I want a TESO MMO, not a co-op TES game. Like I said, I support Zenimax. They have the right ideas so far.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by NitthMaybe actually read and comprehend the arguements before saying something irrelevant?

Considering how deeply flawed OP is(TESO is in no way to be meant as TES successor), mz post seems to be very relevant...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    This game is not Elder Scrolls Online, it is some weird WoW/DAoC mix with Elder Scrolls skin.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Yamota
    This game is not Elder Scrolls Online, it is some weird WoW/DAoC mix with Elder Scrolls skin.

It is Elder Scrolls Online. It is not a co-op TES.

Diablo was not called Diablo Online... it was just Diablo, a co-op game. 

Edit: However if Blizzard ever turned Diablo into a MMO, they could then call it Diablo Online... instead of Diablo IV

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Yamota

lol, The Dark Age of Warcraft Scrolls

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

It seems to me, and a lot of other people too, that TESO is not a true successor to TES, it is an attempt to reskin DAoC.

This might be entirely unfair.

It might not.

The key here is how many of the beloved core elements of TES have been compromised by the beloved elements of DAoC.

What do you think?

This poll is pointless really. How can anyone vote how exactly TESO is if the game is not even in beta yet. Rest is just pure speculation. Maybe correct one, but then maybe not.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by rygard49

Agreed!

TESO is going to be 99% 3rd person over the shoulder tab target combat.

The biggest one-

BadSpock, you of all people know the pitfall of making arguments based on assumptions. You argued against many a user in the GW2 and SWTOR forums who did the exact thing you did above.

Come on, it's obvious that the game will be different from it's single player counterpart. That's a given. But we don't need to invent assumptive nonesense to try to make points.

Very true, though I think it is ironic that I and others have to ASSUME about the PVE in TESO so much because all they are freaking advertising is the RvR...

In that case I believe it is also safe to assume one thing. Over past few years there was some kind of pressure from many players to create some MMORPG that has some meaningful RvR. Now as meaningful it is in TESO that remains to be seen. However with players wanting such game, PvE games no matter what being instantly called WoW clones and TESO happening to have RvR it is reasonable for them to give bigger deal of information on RvR while holding back info on PvE side of the game unless giving it is required or they are 100% certain it would help them in marketing.

Not saying that PvE will be any different from WoW or not. It is just how this business works and nothing else.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

... Wow, people are already judging about a game while its not even released. You see? Pointless thread.

In before some: "Oh my god, but you're playing DAoC, theres no reason for you to QQ!" - There will NEVER be a true successor of DAoC in my opinion.

Originally posted by aylwynn

... Wow, people are already judging about a game while its not even released.

Really, have you even read anything about the game yet?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Everyone wants to fit every MMO in a box and we make demands it fits in the box we want. Why we are bashing this game before we know much more then the core mechanics? I say we let the devs prove this is the game we want. I cant count how many times on the forums here we have yelled we want to have a real 3 faction war like DAoC and we get one and what do we do? Cry about  it. Lets wait and see what TES married to 3 faction war can give us.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Everyone wants to fit every MMO in a box and we make demands it fits in the box we want. Why we are bashing this game before we know much more then the core mechanics? I say we let the devs prove this is the game we want. I cant count how many times on the forums here we have yelled we want to have a real 3 faction war like DAoC and we get one and what do we do? Cry about  it. Lets wait and see what TES married to 3 faction war can give us.

I'm pretty sure the people who keep shouting they want 3 faction RvR is happy.  I'm not demanding that the game fits into the box I want, only the box TES has defined over the years.  Core mechanics is the game imo, what else is there?  Graphics, quests, or some other non-essential systems.

I've been wanting a TES MMO, not TES wrapped around DAoC.  Lets not wait, lets just tell everyone how we feel about it every chance we get.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I dont ever recall anyone asking for someone to take The Elder Scrolls and make it into DAOC2.

Im not interested in seeing the bastard offspring that DAOC and ES marriage will bring

There are some things that just shouldnt be bred together

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by timtrack

In the past: "This game does not appeal to me, i shall ignore it and move on to follow games that do appeal to me."

Now: "This game does not appeal to me, it should be changed to my liking or i will make posts on every forum on the internet about how this game is worse than Hitler."

Roflmao...good one :)

It's easy to be dismissive, and sarcastic whilst doing so.

Eeven easier to do so while offering nothing positive to the debate.

Anyone with half a brain can do it.

It requires rather less than that to invoke the name of that particular guy... and it's pretty tasteless too don't you think?

Originally posted by aylwynn

... Wow, people are already judging about a game while its not even released. You see? Pointless thread.

In before some: "Oh my god, but you're playing DAoC, theres no reason for you to QQ!" - There will NEVER be a true successor of DAoC in my opinion.

The central debate is about faction locking and non-access to half the game world on a single toon.

Freedom to explore is a central and beloved theme of TES, and one TES fans do not want to see chopped in half.

How can the thread be pointless in this regard - we all KNOW this is going to happen - we have been told by the people making the game.

The PvP model is a copy and paste of DAoC -your opinion is irrelevant - this is what they are doing and your love of DAoC is not going to change that fact.

Do get your head out of the sand and ask yourself why they are in effect designing DAoC 2 and wrapping it up in TES clothing (by stretching lore till it screams and removing at least one game element fundamental to TES games success in the past).

ALL TES fans want is the freedom to explore. This is not an impossible proposition - there have been several suggestions which would work, without changing the fundamentals already put into the game.

So yes - we can judge this aspect of the game right now, all it takes is a little consideration.

Originally posted by alterfenix

It seems to me, and a lot of other people too, that TESO is not a true successor to TES, it is an attempt to reskin DAoC.

This might be entirely unfair.

It might not.

The key here is how many of the beloved core elements of TES have been compromised by the beloved elements of DAoC.

What do you think?

This poll is pointless really. How can anyone vote how exactly TESO is if the game is not even in beta yet. Rest is just pure speculation. Maybe correct one, but then maybe not.

It would be far more pointless after the fact...

Many people here need to read between the lines with more skill.

This thread is about the PERCEPTION of what ESO is going to be. Not primarily about the entire reality.

The perception of what it is going to be is important to Zenimax - they want to sell as many copies as possible.

THEY chose TES as their IP. THEY chose DAoC as their PvP model, and THEY chose how to integrate the two and then tell us about it.

THEY need to get the mesaage that not everything is peachy in lal la land, and that some changes should be done to cater for a significant section of their target customers...

... you know...

... the ones paying their salaries after launch...

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by sapphen

But you see, no one is screwing up an iconic franchise.

It is only a few, loud, deluded individuals who believe only they know the correct way to pay homage to TES in an MMO... and they can't even agree amongst themselves on the true way to do it.

So you know the opinions of the silent majority?

Lol...there's nothing silent about you guys with your self-righteous indignation. I'm in the minority apparently...at least as far as I can tell from the contents of this forum.

So you think you're any different than us?  You say that if we don't like the game, don't play it - if you don't like what we have to say then don't read it... it's as simple as that.

No it's not that simple. I feel a compulsion to counteract bullshit and self-righteousness wherever I see it. I know, it's a personal failing. I'm like Don Quijote that way I guess.

By responding with the same techniques you are criticising in the first place?

That would seem self-defeating...

Interesting to see if the poll results in favour of the current game model will fall as low as 1/4.

It seems in steady decline as respondent number increase, and the last option is now in the ascendant.

This poll is all about perception.

One wonders if this is the kind of perception Zenimax wanted to engender?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Interesting to see if the poll results in favour of the current game model will fall as low as 1/4.It seems in steady decline as respondent number increase, and the last option is now in the ascendant.This poll is all about perception.One wonders if this is the kind of perception Zenimax wanted to engender?

Don't put to much stock in the poll results. The options are poorly constructed and biased in their phrasing so the last option is the only one that is even somewhat correct, hence it is coming out on top.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Interesting to see if the poll results in favour of the current game model will fall as low as 1/4.

It seems in steady decline as respondent number increase, and the last option is now in the ascendant.

This poll is all about perception.

One wonders if this is the kind of perception Zenimax wanted to engender?

Don't put to much stock in the poll results. The options are poorly constructed and biased in their phrasing so the last option is the only one that is even somewhat correct, hence it is coming out on top.

Hah! Got to love the people who instead of engaging directly on the issue, call the entire exercise into question without backing up their challenge for the same purpose as the more honest approach.

Three options stating TES with some DAoC thrown in an one with DAoC as the primary element - and the poll is bias?

I wasn't interested in having a control question where there was no DAoC at all - primarily because a chimp can work out where the DAoC is in the game.

This is about how well it's integrated, and as such, covers the extent of potential possibilities just fine.

I disagree with your claims of bias, and would question your motives if there was the slightest chance of finding out what they truly are.

If you would like to quote me some sociology research on the methodology of evidence gathering which is relevant to back yourself up - I'm all ears.

Otherwise a rejoiner is a waste of time wouldn't you say?

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

sorry refuse to vote in this poll as all the choices are in reality pointing at the same conclusion, what about those of us that dont think its a cheap re skin of DAoC, what about those of us that disagree with you where is the poll opyion for that,

a poll that only give options that point at same answer is not a poll but a cheap excuse for the person who made it to justify what they think

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.