Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Graphics Matter?

Will graphics be important to you for Camelot Unchained?

If so what kind of graphics would you like to see? would it be more DAoC style? WoW style? Warhammer style? 

Comments

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

A more fluid updated version of DAOC before they added the stupid new models ( catacombs? or NF? or whatever it was )

Something like the screenshots i see of TESO

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Yes. It's not 2005 or 2008. The game needs to look at least a little better than DAOC and WAR. But it also can't have such great graphics that you need a $5,000 computer to get good framerates during huge fights.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Yes. It's not 2005 or 2008. The game needs to look at least a little better than DAOC and WAR. But it also can't have such great graphics that you need a $5,000 computer to get good framerates during huge fights.

+1

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

The game needs to look good. I believe it should have a graphical overhaul every year.

I like to use eve as an example. It didn't get to look as good as it does now in one giant patch, every year they've made graphics updates here and there.

I hope that if they keep the art assets tied to only RvR and maybe 4 RvR dungeons, keeping the scope  on content small, but reinventing, improving, and updating that content again and again.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Of course graphics matter.  Beauty is on the outside.  That other thing people say is just so ugly games will feel better about themselves.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Only as much as they can attract players. Other than at least looking "current" I personally don't care. The engine being able to smoothly handle large battles is more important to me. Even epic graphics look like crap at 5fps.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    This is like asking "Does size matter?"..  The answer is the same for both /grin

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Yes and no, graphics should be at least 2005 level for a low budget and everything in the world should look natural, for higher budgets minimum goes up to 2006 and max 2008. Anything before 2005 and you get the polygons of death a la SWG and we need the world to look natural so it does not break immersion.  Flashy graphics =/= good game so it should not be the focus.

Note: the above is stated in general terms, I do not have any feelings for or against Unchained, good luck to them and hope you guys enjoy the final product.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

The graphics depend on the engine itself, but overall.. I hope they use high polygon models baked on low poly models with LOTS of hand painted textures for a stylized look on the characters.  

I'd love to see high resolution, photo realistic/stylized textures on major environmental objects such as keeps and towers, but regular hand painted textures on minor environmental objects like trees, crates, tents, etc.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

Yes, good graphics matter.

DO graphics trump game play? NO.

but it's a close second IMHO>

Originally posted by Xobdnas

To coin a phrase I'd rather have an ugly cow that produced delicious milk than a pretty cow that produced spoiled milk.

Moo

Or since we're the ones genetically manipulating the cow from inception, we can get one that does exactly what we want...

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

This is easy .Yes.

I don't expect it to be at the same level of visual flufiness of,let's say GW2,

but it has to look great.

And it also has to run nice in mid and low range machines.

And no cartoony WoW stuff please.

Wildstar does that and it already looks 8 years old.

Yep, I saw ONE Wildstar video and said "Looks like shit.  Next!".
  • tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    As long as its a bit better then wow no, make animations smooth, combat responsive and engine run well with 300 people fighting. That's enough
  • BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34

I feel that the graphics aren't soo important for me however, I must say I don't care for the cartoonish ones like WoW. I would much rather take DAoC-like graphics, it just feels so surreal to me. I don't care for warhammer graphics too much but it is somewhat of a blend between cartoony and real. Just my preference though

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Graphics matter, but Gameplay comes first, AS LONG AS the developers at least TRY for photorealism, instead of making a ridiculous-looking stylized cartoon-land, like with WoW or WAR...
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Graphics AND animations matter, at least to me.

For example, I was interested in Salem, upcoming hardcore PvP MMORPG with some interesting ideas.

But the moment I saw those ridiculous player characters with enormous heads and the whole artstyle (which I believed it must be a joke at first), I completely wiped it of my "watch" list.

• DavodDavod Member UncommonPosts: 44
    If this game is going to be relased I guess it will be in 2 years or more. Therefore I do not concur with the people talking about graphics from 2005-2008. We can't have a game in 2015 that has graphics that is a decade old. Graphics is mighty important if you going to spend hours infront of the game. It's like finding a partner, it is the inside that counts if you want to be with that person but the outside plays a major role too. Sexual attraction is a must, you must enjoy what you are looking at and touching every night :)

• replicantreplicant Member Posts: 46

Gameplay > Graphics

However, if the game is hideously outdated you're going to have issues garnering a fanbase.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Gameplay is of course the main part about any game it it needs to look good as well.

If they come out and say its going to be Cartoon wow style graphics i wont be happy at all... i want it to be age of conan gritty if you know what i mean and it needs to look good s well..

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by CyborWolfTK

Yes, good graphics matter.

DO graphics trump game play? NO.

but it's a close second IMHO>

Gameplay is vital. Great graphics are fine, but I'll take a fun game over a pretty game any day of the week.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Does the body of a car matter?
  • KvalandurKvalandur Member Posts: 31

For me, even though gameplay, depth of the storyline and complexity of the mechanics are the "most important" aspects of a game, graphics that are subpar to what's generally being put out in games, is a big turnoff.  I've tried going back and playing old games, EQ is one I looked at a couple of years ago and MAN were the graphics terrible! Lol.  I remember when EQ first came out I spent days just being amazed at how good the game looked having come from 2D graphical MUD's, but after games like Skyrim, old games are pretty much unplayable to me.

I would definitely prefer graphics like Warhammer as opposed to cartoon graphics like Wow. Hugely oversized armor and weapons are massive turnoffs for me. I love the realistic character models Warhammer had with the scars and generally "rough" looking character models.  To me Wows cartoon characters have an appearance that evokes a "for children" feeling, a few other games I've seen look the same, Tera is believe is another that uses huge weapons and oversized characters. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I've always been of the performance > pretty school, at least as far as pvp goes.

But the edges do keep getting pushed back. Update the graphics to just-a-few-years-ago, should be a good compromise.

Or hell, give me everything you've got, as long as uncheck-it control exists. Does your engine let me choke particle counts? Kill shadows, minimize reflections, nuke the pretty-water? If so, we'll be happy together.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Personally I would like to see the graphics reflect the long term goals of the game. While on the one hand... locking out players in the beggining with high spec rig requirements may seem unfair the upside of squeezing out a few more years on the backend could be definetely something i could get behind (I have a good rig, yes).

Stunning graphics I believe would help draw a certain type of casual gamer that would help the project commercially successful(not looking at u DF:UW).I recently tried out Terra, and the shinyness of it all really added to my relaxing and immersive experience. Obviously you cant sacrifice actual game performance. I just hope they get the aesthtics right/nice!