Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drow exclusivity and uncertainty of the control wizard at launch

vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

FAQ: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297621&viewfull=1#post297621

Discussion thread on official forum: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?61791-Drow-elf-not-available-for-at-least-60-days-after-release-wizard-future-unsure

There has been a bit of an uproar over the updated FAQ to NWO in which the drow will be exclusive to Hero of the North Founder pack for at least 60 days post launch.  The control wizard is also not listed as one of the launch classes either, leading to forum speculation that it may not initially make launch now.

The good news is the half-orc is confirmed as a playable race for launch.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Comments

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Can someone please think of the halflings!

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

control wizard should in at launch and drow is in for everyone.. the founders pack is an exclusive back story you get not an exclusive race

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here.. hafling should be in as well by launch

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by vmoped

FAQ: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297621&viewfull=1#post297621

Discussion thread on official forum: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?61791-Drow-elf-not-available-for-at-least-60-days-after-release-wizard-future-unsure

There has been a bit of an uproar over the updated FAQ to NWO in which the drow will be exclusive to Hero of the North Founder pack for at least 60 days post launch.  The control wizard is also not listed as one of the launch classes either, leading to forum speculation that it may not initially make launch now.

The good news is the half-orc is confirmed as a playable race for launch.

Cheers!

And the bad news is that since this is Cryptic we are talking about, what you get is literally half an orc. If you want to get the other half you have to buy it in the cash shop. image

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

control wizard should in at launch and drow is in for everyone.. the founders pack is an exclusive back story you get not an exclusive race

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here.. hafling should be in as well by launch

They're disabling drow for 60 days after launch to maintain the exclusivity of the $200 Founder's pack. Lower-tier Founders also don't have access to the Drow race.

I personally don't give a darn; I'll likely never play one. But since the developers numerous times stated it would be in at launch, in both live streams and in interviews, it's sort of a dumb move.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by sea.shell

Can someone please think of the halflings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ERazhGrMI

@ 2:13

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by Lanessar

They're disabling drow for 60 days after launch to maintain the exclusivity of the $200 Founder's pack. Lower-tier Founders also don't have access to the Drow race.

I personally don't give a darn; I'll likely never play one. But since the developers numerous times stated it would be in at launch, in both live streams and in interviews, it's sort of a dumb move.

odd .. well see as haven't heard anything about this in alpha...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

It's been announced on the forums. Updated the FAQ, and the CM confirmed it.

i have no interest in playing drow personally as their running animation on female toons looks horid but don't really understand this decision if it ends up being a final one come launch

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I don't even know why people even wants to play drow...

It will be pretty annoying to see half the population running around with dual scimitars trying to be Dizzt to be honest, lol

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    60 days is only two months which is only 8 weeks. 60 days in should give an idea of what people think about the game.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

i have no interest in playing drow personally as their running animation on female toons looks horid but don't really understand this decision if it ends up being a final one come launch

They are milking Drow fans for all they can get away with.. and since this game is tied to Salvatores Drizzt books, Drow lovers are probably thier primary audience.

In other words, they know thier fans want to play Drow's and they are taking advantage of that.

I think it's disgusting personally.. but I won't lose sleep over it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tenebrusmke7tenebrusmke7 Member CommonPosts: 4

There seems to be a discrepency in the reporting of this situation. On the Neverwinter forums, where the Extended FAQ are, it clearly states that only the Menzo-Renegade Drow will be exclusive to the Founder's pack, the regular Drow will be available to everyone at post-launch.

Source: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297621&viewfull=1#post297621

Additional information from the linked post:

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular Drow race will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

What is funny in this thread is how many people posted without even reading the OP, and constantly restated what I put in the original post as if it wasn't there.... my my...

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

What is funny in this thread is how many people posted without even reading the OP, and constantly restated what I put in the original post as if it wasn't there.... my my...

Cheers!

i read OP but source i got says something else so i dunno things may or may not change we shall see... i'd expect control wizard to be in by launch.. but again nothing is set in stone till launch

• tenebrusmke7tenebrusmke7 Member CommonPosts: 4

Cheers!

You said that the drow would be exclusive to the Founder's Pack, however, you failed to mention which drow would be exclusive to the Founder's Pack. You just made it sound as those the Drow in general would be made exclusive to the founder's pack which is an all-out lie. The Regular Drow will be available FOR FREE at the same time as the Menzo-Renegade Drow (which will always remain an exclusive race to the Founder's pack).
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Regular Drow will be available free to all after 60 days.  This happened because of  some wording which has since been corrected in the hero package.

This is mostly shady lawyer manouvering and marketing, that is all.  What Hero founders get isn't a race but a background, the menzo renegade,  the regular drow race is being held for 60 days to :

A - encourage Hero founders sale and

B - avoid legal shenanigans as this way they can claim Heros founder got the drow race exclusively for 60 days.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Vannor

They are milking Drow fans for all they can get away with.. and since this game is tied to Salvatores Drizzt books, Drow lovers are probably thier primary audience.

In other words, they know thier fans want to play Drow's and they are taking advantage of that.

I think it's disgusting personally.. but I won't lose sleep over it.

Really? Ugh, I HATE Drizzt Do'MarySue with the anger of a thousand Daleks. Just absolutely cannot stand him. I kill him every time he appears in a D&D game (CRPG or PnP), regardless of my character's alignment. I will find a way for a freaking paladin to justify murdering him and his little kitty-cat companion, and burning their dismembered corpses afterward.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of Salvatore overall either. Bah!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Cheers!

i read OP but source i got says something else so i dunno things may or may not change we shall see... i'd expect control wizard to be in by launch.. but again nothing is set in stone till launch

This is what the Faq linked to says.  I highlighted the important part in red, which is what the OP is talking about.

What Races are available in Neverwinter?

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, Halfling, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that Menzo-Renegade Drow will be exclusive toHero of the North Pack purchasers, while regular drow will become available for everyone after 60 days post-launch.

Will it cost ZEN to unlock additional Races and Classes?

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular Drow race will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Cheers!

This is what the Faq linked to says.  I highlighted the important part in red, which is what the OP is talking about.

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, Halfling, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that Menzo-Renegade Drow will be exclusive toHero of the North Pack purchasers, while regular drow will become available for everyone after 60 days post-launch.

Yea i know I read the faq... but faqs and stuff changes.. so won't know for sure till launch

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Cheers!

Yea i know I read the faq... but faqs and stuff changes.. so won't know for sure till launch

Well you said the OP source said something else, so I was pointing out that it says what he claims it said.

Well you said the OP source said something else, so I was pointing out that it says what he claims it said.

nope read again I said "my" source:)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Don't see the big deal. It is a F2P game after all. An exlusive race for 60 days with a $200 founders pack is not exactly horrible.

Why do people always focus on what they are not getting for free, rather than what they are?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Don't see the big deal. It is a F2P game after all. An exlusive race for 60 days with a $200 founders pack is not exactly horrible.

Why do people always focus on what they are not getting for free, rather than what they are?

Exactly.  

I just wish they would lead with the information rather than changing mid-stream.  Which is what they are kind of doing right now.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Exactly.  

I just wish they would lead with the information rather than changing mid-stream.  Which is what they are kind of doing right now.

It's not such a big deal but then some people bought the 60$ pack with the knowledge that the drow race was free from the start like the other races. The mods even pointed out that hero purchaser got the menzo background exclusivity and that the drow race was free.  There never was mention of the drow race being exclusive to hero packs for 60 days.

Like I said previously this is either a very shady marketing technique or lawyer manouvering for shitty wording in the heros pack.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DragonfishDragonfish Member Posts: 12

Just to clarify, there is a new sticky on the official forums. They spelled it out in plain english finally so people stop arguing.

1. The Drow race will NOT be available to anyone but the $200 Hero package owners for  AT LEAST 60 days. This does not mean the backstory, but the ENTIRE RACE. Not even the $60 Guardian package owners can play Drow.

2. They made this decision internally some time ago, and decided not to make it public because they KNEW it would be an unpopular decision. This is their words, not mine.

Yes, this is a free to play game but as other posters already mentioned, Cryptic has stated numerous times in the past that the Drow race would be available free at launch to all players. Now they are at it again with typical cryptic crap (STO Klingon anyone?) and I know it's just going to get worse. I was actually going to give them $60 just to support the game but after this I'll have a really hard time coughing up the cash.