Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And I thought DCUO was bad.

Ok so, if I'm getting this right, we have a reahshed mmo version of Ultimate Alliance, which to be honest sounds REALLY cool, but then you read the articles, see pictures, and moreso notice how much it is going to cost for characters that people actually WANT to play without tossing off their wallets. The videos and pictures i've seen of this game look something awful, almost like disney got hold of the game and tried to pixar all of the characters with smooth non detailed textures. What texture we do see on characters look like a child drew them with a crayon and smudged them. 

Then again artwork can be overlooked as long as it isn't completely horrible and we don't really have to pay much for the game, wait, I spoke too soon. Ok so the game is free to play, except your roster is limited and NONE of marvels Headliner characters are going to be in it, so if i want to play any of the avengers such as Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow, (the last two of which i have no interest in) i have to buy them, ok so I spend 5 bucks and get a new character not bad right? WRONG, characters are rediculously overpriced (20 bucks per char), especially for the child like impressions they have been given. If you would like a good portion of the entire roster, you could always sacrifice half your rent money (200$) for a massive pack, (the same price you would spend for 10 characters) which doesn't even offer anything nearly worth the buy. All you would get is a unique costume for some of the characters only available in that pack like the black symbiote spidey suit.

If that weren't bad enough, Movement is based on point and click which means you will have to click the map every time you want your hero to move, or attack, or do anything, which after a substantial amount of time, gets very tiresome. In short, at least DCUO actually Tried to make a successful mmo, granted they produced the same game we've been playing for years with only a new theme, but at least in the end the game is and was affordable for the look and style that it was. With the direction this game is heading, Marvel can't even argue that they were targeting a younger Or older audience, were that the case, bonus characters would be more affordable for kids or actually have similar artwork to the Real ultimate alliance games which looked amazing for what they were.

I think I'll take the mmo budget I'm saving by not playing this game and revise my comic collection. Comment below, if you like forum rp Click my signature image for a DC / Marvel mashup, Otherwise, Happy Gaming. 

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I played it in closed beta. No Z axis movement....

Do you know how horrible it is to use an elevator as the Hulk... to go from a rooftop to the street... and it was only 2 stories high?

• Btk306Btk306 Member Posts: 10

Where do you live that half your rent money is 200$. And im pretty sure everyone knew this game was gonna be brutal. I haven't even taken a second look at it since first impression.

And also those stupid skylander things are ridiculous expensive, marketed to kids, and sell like there made of crack. Im thinking thats probably what they were going for on this one. Budgets dont apply to children, when they like something they get it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by fs23otm

I played it in closed beta. No Z axis movement....

Do you know how horrible it is to use an elevator as the Hulk... to go from a rooftop to the street... and it was only 2 stories high?

LOL! Hulk in an elevator?

This game sounds like an epic fail.

• XUoToXUoTo Member Posts: 8

I live in Mass with my parents, and no z axis movement. LAME. The hulk wouldn't waste time in an elevator unless he was banner which in a game is not likely. The hulk would just smash the building down then stand on top of it and scream at the sky triumphantly. Comic book companies should be The top crop in gaming right now seeing as how they have been in business longer then computers have existed. I'd like to seem them do these heroes the top game justice they deserve.

X

Yah that makes sense.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Btk306
    Where do you live that half your rent money is 200$. And im pretty sure everyone knew this game was gonna be brutal. I haven't even taken a second look at it since first impression.

Funnily enough 200$ is half the rent for where I'll be living next autumn when I start my Master's XD

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by XUoTo

. The hulk would just smash the building down then stand on top of it and scream at the sky triumphantly.

Yeah I don't know why the devs aren't lineing up to get you to make content for games.....

The game is diablo but with marvel heroes. If you didn't like diablos game play you wont like this...pretty simple.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Funnily enough 200$ is half the rent for where I'll be living next autumn when I start my Master's XD

Lol its a pretty good deal not gonna lie. Good luck with your masters.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

No Z axis movement....

no one leaps or flys ?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Lol its a pretty good deal not gonna lie. Good luck with your masters.

-bows head- thank you, and just to make it funnier that's with all the utilities factored in (heat, water, electricity and internet) ^^

Originally posted by DamonVile

Yeah I don't know why the devs aren't lineing up to get you to make content for games.....

The game is diablo but with marvel heroes. If you didn't like diablos game play you wont like this...pretty simple.

I like Diablo type games....

However, I also expect certain things when it comes to staple heroes. 

I expect to fly as Iron Man, Thor, Storm... I expect to crawl on buildings as Spidey.... I expect to Jump high as the Hulk.

It is crazy!

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

Always felt pretty underwhelmed by this game.  It just looks... shit. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

i googled around and saw this -- that seems to indicate flight

NYCC: Hands-On Gaming with "Marvel Heroes"
    Tue, October 23rd, 2012 at 10:58am PDT

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41785

After reaching a few computer terminals to restore power -- and witnessing a Venom symbiote escape along the way -- we reach our first mini-boss fight, Living Laser. "With Laser being the first boss, he's very gentle," Brevik said, laughing. Ms. Marvel's flight power proved useful in avoiding Living Laser's blast patterns, and Brevik noted unlike in many MMOs, flight can be fully controlled rather than just having the character jump and hover. "You can't do anything while you're flying. Flight is a power in and of itself so it takes up a slot. You can't attack while you're flying, but you can fly over things and not get attacked," he explained.

• XUoToXUoTo Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Nadia

After reaching a few computer terminals to restore power -- and witnessing a Venom symbiote escape along the way -- we reach our first mini-boss fight, Living Laser. "With Laser being the first boss, he's very gentle," Brevik said, laughing. Ms. Marvel's flight power proved useful in avoiding Living Laser's blast patterns, and Brevik noted unlike in many MMOs, flight can be fully controlled rather than just having the character jump and hover. "You can't do anything while you're flying. Flight is a power in and of itself so it takes up a slot. You can't attack while you're flying, but you can fly over things and not get attacked," he explained.

Ok so you CAN jump and fly but in order to do so, you have to waste a power slot, which seems equally as lame to me, it's like well at least you can do it, you just have to be weaker in order to, which after reading this makes sense for some things, Iron Man has to sacrifice energy output to fly etc. In either case, whether you can or can't jump, it's still an overly bad game. 

I can say. I played as Storm... no flight power. I fought the Living Lazer... and had no flight power. I didn't even see on in the powers list....

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Like it or not this game is going to destroy both diablo 3 and path of exile.

Just wait and see for your self

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

Ok so you CAN jump and fly but in order to do so, you have to waste a power slot, which seems equally as lame to me, it's like well at least you can do it, you just have to be weaker in order to, which after reading this makes sense for some things, Iron Man has to sacrifice energy output to fly etc. In either case, whether you can or can't jump, it's still an overly bad game. 

No offense, but are you new to ARPG's? You can't jump in any of the Diablos, other than skills like Barbarian's leap, same with both Torchlights, Titan Quest, FATE, Nox, Path of Exile, etc.. From what I've seen Marvel Heroes is really more like those games, but with public zones that have lots of other players. The game play videos released by Gazillion don't lead me to believe that this is really trying to be a MMO in the traditional sense. It looks much more like an isometric ARPG, which make sense considering that David Brevik essentially co-created that genre. 

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

I can say. I played as Storm... no flight power. I fought the Living Lazer... and had no flight power. I didn't even see on in the powers list....

If you're gonna violate the NDA, at least don't lie.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    What they need is Marvel Online and to make it better than Champions Online, DCUO and City of Heroes all put together. Yeah that will happen.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by DamonVile

. The hulk would just smash the building down then stand on top of it and scream at the sky triumphantly.

I believe the OP is stuck on this for his game design

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(arcade_game)

Don't get me wrong it was a fun game but not what the devs were making.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This right here is why you shouldn't base your opinion on what you read on forums.
    I've been in beta for 4 months now. Without breaking the NDA do you know what lvl this guy is talking about ? Level 1

That's right...he played part of the first mission of level 1. All of about 5 minutes in. He didn't even bother to open the skill tree and see fly is one of her powers.It's always been one of her powers so if he didn't see it...well.....look harder.

Yup some good info on the game in this thread.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

This game is just awful..period.....it is outdated, clunky, boring and about ten years too late..it is an ultimate alliance/diablo clone...screw the NDA, I am never going back to this game again....

If I want heroes..I'll play DCU, Champions, or replay Infamous, there is no excuse for such a clunbky hereo game...Heck, Superhero Squad is better than this...

If I want a Diablo clone, I'll play Diablo, Torchlight, or Path of Exile...again this game is crap for an isometric game...

It is sorry that Disney is just trying to drain as much cash out of the Marvel Ip and next the Star Wars Ip without really caring about the fans...

Marvel is such a stroinger product than DC and if they had just one decent MMO, people would flock to it, but they keep going with epic fails...

Originally posted by negacrowbar

It is sorry that Disney is just trying to drain as much cash out of the Marvel Ip and next the Star Wars Ip without really caring about the fans...

I'm feeling old - i forgot the Disney bought Marvel 3 years ago

seems like last year

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

Ok so the game is free to play, except your roster is limited and NONE of marvels Headliner characters are going to be in it, so if i want to play any of the avengers such as Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow, (the last two of which i have no interest in) i have to buy them, ok so I spend 5 bucks and get a new character not bad right? WRONG, characters are rediculously overpriced (20 bucks per char), especially for the child like impressions they have been given. If you would like a good portion of the entire roster, you could always sacrifice half your rent money (200$) for a massive pack, (the same price you would spend for 10 characters) which doesn't even offer anything nearly worth the buy. All you would get is a unique costume for some of the characters only available in that pack like the black symbiote spidey suit.

While you have a limited initial roster if you don't pay for a hero or a package, they have said that ALL heroes will be unlockable for free in the form of random loot drops just for playing the game.  Take down a boss, get a chance at one of these otherwise $20 heroes dropping for you.  Paying just gets you access to the one you may want to play NOW, which makes sense.  Still don't have to pay a cent if you're willing to put in the playtime to earn them.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RelGn

Like it or not this game is going to destroy both diablo 3 and path of exile.

Just wait and see for your self

As much as i like this marvel ultimate alliance, i highly doubt it is going to destroy D3. If it can stay in xfire top 10, like D3, for 10 months, i would be impressed.

PoE is already out of there.

And even when MH is free, i doubt if they can get 12M people to play it.