Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about a walking dead mmo ?

2»

Comments

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Not sure if it needs to be tied to the Walking Dead, but REALLY want a zombie MMO.

Closest we have being DayZ (a moded FPS) and WarZ (... it's warz, maybe the worst game ever to call itself a mmo).

TDL may turn into a mmo one day, I'm messing around with and enjoying the alpha, but mmo it is not. The people making State of Decay are supose to make something kind of MMO-looking after State of Decay, um... Stage 4 if my memory is correct.

The world is totally lacking a good, PvE, zombie survival game.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

http://survarium.com/en

and

http://undeadlabs.com/about-state-of-decay/

The games most close to what the OP wants.

Edit: Neither MMOs unfortunately.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Remember what happened with the Matrix?

Yeah, that.

By the time a mmo production is 'rushed to print' (so to speak), the temporary pop culture fad is over. And the rushed-to-capitalize game, of course, just sucks.

But there is a WD FPS, so of course someone will do it. Probably, many someones. Zombie-genre shooters are certainly popular enough.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yeah, that.

By the time a mmo production is 'rushed to print' (so to speak), the temporary pop culture fad is over. And the rushed-to-capitalize game, of course, just sucks.

But there is a WD FPS, so of course someone will do it. Probably, many someones. Zombie-genre shooters are certainly popular enough.

But the thing with the Matrix was that it was kind of cringy; the outfits they wore, the shit they spoke, the school-kid philosophy.  Yes the action sequences were good, but the rest of it was trying so desparately hard to be cool it hurt to watch it.  

I just couldn't bring myself to don one of those idiot, long leather coats and enter the game.   

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I think one where you could choose to be the zombie would be cool as well.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yeah, that.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think it generalizes a bit to much. TWD is basically zombies with some(strike that, A LOT) soap opera flair, so I suspect the current zombie craze will last a bit. It will probably be done to death, and horribly so.

As far as the Mmo is concerned, I suspect it would have to incorporate perma death. How else would it capture the tension present in TWD? It would have to be a very shallow ( skill wise) mmo, with most of its emphasis on survival, crafting, exploration and player to player politics. Could be a wonderful premise, but it certainly can't be a themepark or pve game.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Personally I think it would be awfully boring killing the same garbage all the time and running around. Zombies are brainless shite. Give me vamps, ghosts, demons, liches etc and things get interesting.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

cant do a survival pvp zombie game. as they will always 99.9999999999% of the time downgrade in to a FFA PVP game with a light dusting of zombies. 

use the old quotes of "zombies are the least of your worrys" or whatever. but if im going to play a zombie survival game i would rather not have to worry about Dbag #10000 from doing any sort of spawn camping or other asshattery. as that just detracts from the actal game enjoyment. 

regardless of how "realistic" it might be for survivers to be killing each other and zombies..

i would not touch a walking dead mmo that had open world pvp. as that makes it nothing more then your standard cod shooter wannabe. 

now if it was actual survival without pvp (or isolated pvp of some sort) then maybe. but open world fk it theres enough ffa pvp games that sprinkle on zombies to make me not play another one.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I agree Open World PvP would destroy the game before it began. Would have to be some form of War Declaration, heavy politic game to last at all. No one wants another DayZ.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

FFS....

The Walking Dead has nothing to do with zombies.  Zombies are a device, that's it.

"No government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV.

In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living."

Day-Z is the closest thing to The Walking Dead.  Maybe State of Decay, but who knows if that's any good.

Originally posted by jdnyc

FFS....

The Walking Dead has nothing to do with zombies.  Zombies are a device, that's it.

"No government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV.

In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living."

Day-Z is the closest thing to The Walking Dead.  Maybe State of Decay, but who knows if that's any good.

In that case how about a Day of the Triffids mmo? 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I dunno, sounds to me that a walking dead mmo would be... dead on arival. XD
    Originally posted by birdycephon

In which case it would be undead? 

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

I would love a game based off TWD however only if they made it hard core. Permanent death very limited loot, characters would also have to find loot In areas. Complete with food and water or lack there of.

If your character dies he dies. However you rise up as a zombie and play in PVP Zombie mode untill another player kills you. 

Also you only get one character slot. And when you build a character you chose sex only.  Everything skills, attributes, appearance, and background are completely randomized.

when you die you have to start over. Completely.

a survival  apocalypse MMO. Kinda like fallout was. Players could form packs. PvP not allowed within the pack. Everywhere else it's open PVP. 

To add on my idea.. Characters would be fragile and easily killed. Zombies would have a grab attack which would require a break free attempt. Kind of like old wrestling games button mashing to beat the bar. Characteristics like str or agility give you a boost, however it becomes harder if your grabbed by more than one zombie. Every time your bit there is a chance of it breaking skin. Gear your character is wearing can help reduce this chance. However items in the game cause encumbrance which slows you down. Many times running is the option. If your bitten. And it breaks the skin you die and turn. Playing now as a zombie in PVP mode untill your zombie self dies.

the world needs to be massive in scale. When a new character first enters the world they do some in a COMPLETELY randomly point in the world. Regardless of what is going on. Your character is given 15 seconds of invuln to get your bearings and make a run for it if needed. Also your starting gear is completely randomized, but from a basic list. You might get a gun, a knife, a club or a machet, or a flashlight. You might start with food and water or none at all. There would be no Instancing in the world it would be all open world, but massive. Also not only would there need to be dynamic lighting biut dynamic darkness as well, night time would actually be dark. Going into that prison at night even darker.

living vs living PVP I think would've best if a declaration of war had to be issued. If you declined someone's declaration of war.  You would have to leave the area maybe a circle would appear on a map. You would have to be out of that circle within a certain amount of time and stay out of it  for like 24 hours. If you didn't its open season.

player packs. These are alot like guilds . A war system like the one above could be used. However on a larger scale.

Also anytime someone has war declared on them. They are given 3 options. Yes, decline. Or let's band together for mutual benifit instead. Which the person who declared the war on you or the pack would have to answer. If they agree. The declaration is removed.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Scarfe

Originally posted by birdycephon

In which case it would be undead? 

Maybe if it went... viral XD. Otherwise, it would be just dead. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I believe the name of the game is Day Z, we already have it to play. Go play it!
    Meh Day Z is nothing like what I would like to see.. Would want a game with a lot more depth than just being a shooter with zombies.
  • Btk306Btk306 Member Posts: 10
    Day Z stand alone will be amazing. Until the hacks begin. And a walking dead MMO? really? As if the games made about the show at this point aren't a prime example of how video games based on tv shows/movies are 9 times out of 10 a bad idea. I like the idea of a zombie survival game. I'm pretty sure everyone does. But Day Z is about as close to it as your gonna get. 
    Meh looking for something with more depth than just a shooter MMO with zombies.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Dihoru

http://survarium.com/en

and

http://undeadlabs.com/about-state-of-decay/

The games most close to what the OP wants.

Edit: Neither MMOs unfortunately.

undead labs will be making two games

Class 3 will be stand alone game

Class 4 will be a sandbox mmo

http://www.tentonhammer.com/undead-labs/interviews/jeff-strain/May-16-2011

At the Lab we refer to the game we are making as a “survival sandbox” game.

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world, with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/undead-labs/interviews/jeff-strain/May-16-2011

We are not re-skinning orcs and calling it a zombie game. At its heart, the zombie genre is about survival in the face of societal collapse and the complexities of human relationships in the face of dwindling resources.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Pass

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

I will definately keep an eye on it.