Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Trials of Ascension: The Unique World of TerVarus

Comments

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Like I said earlier, the game looks very promising until you get to the permadeath decision.

Let's look at permadeath with their so called 99 lives.  The fun of a MMO is developing your character.  Eventually you will lose that character if you like the game it will be just a matter of time.  So what happens then?  You start over?  No one knows you, of course that could be good if you were a bit of a nasty player.  When you get down to it, 100 deaths is nothing when you play a game you like.  Makes playing the game as risk adverse and that does not sound like much fun to me.

The basic fact of the matter, the internet is not all that stable.  Disconnect and there goes one of your lives...run into a cheater, there goes another one.  The problem with small companies like this one, cheaters take great advantage of them because they know that they do not have the resources to control them.  Just take as an example WARZ, the game is a cheatfest and the developers seem clueless to fix the problem, granted that is an extreme situation, but still, it is pertinent.

It is a shame that cheating is so rampant.  Perhaps this developer has solutions to control them, but experience says that it really takes a large support staff to handle them, which this game won't have.

So while the idea of permadeath might not sound that bad, in reality it is.

A game like this just separates the cheaters from the rest of the population, little to do with how skilled you are.

Take a step back, and don't be so attached to pixels.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Perma-death is definitely something people need to grow into. I think the immediate thought about perma-death is a "1 death and you're done' kind of thing. Sorry but this is 99 deaths and 1 more before you're done for good so when you die, don't freak out too bad. People are also SO sucked into the 'no consequences' mindset that they sometimes find it hard to see the benefits of perma-death and I am not going to lie, I had a little tough time grasping it too. What helped me was not just trying to understand its benefits but learning about ALL of the other features of the game too.

I don't think this game is going to be 100% for everyone but my piece of advice is, take a moment and read about the various features. I really think if you give it a chance, you'll fall in love with the game.

I played UO, SWG FFXI and about a dozen other MMOs.  Having harsh consequences upon death back in those days were kewl and something I had no problem with.  In todays world at almost 33 years old and having a family I will tell the developer to shove it.  I dont live in my parents basement anymore to the point I can play a game from 5pm Friday night until 9pm Sunday night non stop.  I am lucky to get 5 to 10 hours a week to play and if I am going to get a perma death and loose hundreds of hours worth of work I am not going to play that game.  [mod edit]  Just like Salem Online it's going to be for a very small niche type of player and the game will only become marginally profitable. 

Agreed and in the same boat. This game will be harsh for the working man/woman.

Perma-death is not a good idea, imagine playing a year or more and losing all of your hard work and progression. Quite frankly, this game will be a griefers wet dream. To believe somehow that this game won't be a griefer's paradise is to not understand the history of these types of games.

Think Darkfall was bad? Heh.

I love every feature mentioned except perma-death. I won't pony up my cash and a year's play just to lose everything to an a**-hat griefer group.

Considering their rose tinted view of the early days of Ultima Online, methinks the developers are part and parcel of the griefing mindset.  Everyone knows that murder mechanics never work, including the developers who implement them.  They merely state they exist to reduce the outrage of the sheeples in the hopes of conning them into the game for the requisite fodder that is so needed for a game like this.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Butch808

Like I said earlier, the game looks very promising until you get to the permadeath decision.

Let's look at permadeath with their so called 99 lives.  The fun of a MMO is developing your character.  Eventually you will lose that character if you like the game it will be just a matter of time.  So what happens then?  You start over?  No one knows you, of course that could be good if you were a bit of a nasty player.  When you get down to it, 100 deaths is nothing when you play a game you like.  Makes playing the game as risk adverse and that does not sound like much fun to me.

The basic fact of the matter, the internet is not all that stable.  Disconnect and there goes one of your lives...run into a cheater, there goes another one.  The problem with small companies like this one, cheaters take great advantage of them because they know that they do not have the resources to control them.  Just take as an example WARZ, the game is a cheatfest and the developers seem clueless to fix the problem, granted that is an extreme situation, but still, it is pertinent.

It is a shame that cheating is so rampant.  Perhaps this developer has solutions to control them, but experience says that it really takes a large support staff to handle them, which this game won't have.

So while the idea of permadeath might not sound that bad, in reality it is.

A game like this just separates the cheaters from the rest of the population, little to do with how skilled you are.

Take a step back, and don't be so attached to pixels.

You know darn well the attachment isn't to pixels, but rather to the representative amount of effort and time spent and the potential loss of enjoyment in the game.

• Gassy_the_GoblinGassy_the_Goblin Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by PsiKahn

More challenged developers who think that they need perma death in a MMO to create a challenge.  Earth to developers, it does not work that way!

Game sounded great until they had to throw in the PD.  Won't fund it, nor touch it.  Waste of my and everyone else's time.

Great concept though, would fund it if they dropped the perma death feature.

I don't think the developers are employing Perma-Death to make the game more challenging.  It's main purpose is to change the mental calculus players employ in decision making and to prevent character bloat.  If you like the other features, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.  It's worth seeing how this one plays out.

I completely agree with PsiKahn .  "Mental calculus," is one of the best descriptions I've heard for the main purpose of PD.   

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by GimiZigi

More challenged developers who think that they need perma death in a MMO to create a challenge.  Earth to developers, it does not work that way!

Game sounded great until they had to throw in the PD.  Won't fund it, nor touch it.  Waste of my and everyone else's time.

Great concept though, would fund it if they dropped the perma death feature.

Perma-death is definitely something people need to grow into. I think the immediate thought about perma-death is a "1 death and you're done' kind of thing. Sorry but this is 99 deaths and 1 more before you're done for good so when you die, don't freak out too bad. People are also SO sucked into the 'no consequences' mindset that they sometimes find it hard to see the benefits of perma-death and I am not going to lie, I had a little tough time grasping it too. What helped me was not just trying to understand its benefits but learning about ALL of the other features of the game too.

I don't think this game is going to be 100% for everyone but my piece of advice is, take a moment and read about the various features. I really think if you give it a chance, you'll fall in love with the game.

I played UO, SWG FFXI and about a dozen other MMOs.  Having harsh consequences upon death back in those days were kewl and something I had no problem with.  In todays world at almost 33 years old and having a family I will tell the developer to shove it.  I dont live in my parents basement anymore to the point I can play a game from 5pm Friday night until 9pm Sunday night non stop.  I am lucky to get 5 to 10 hours a week to play and if I am going to get a perma death and loose hundreds of hours worth of work I am not going to play that game.  [mod edit]  Just like Salem Online it's going to be for a very small niche type of player and the game will only become marginally profitable. 

I am 26 and I got married, bought a house and have a family too and I probably get the same amount of time to play a week and I understand why perma-death isn't appealing to you. I used to feel the same way - your character is really your investment. I remember trying out the 'hardcore' mode in diablo and when I died after spending hours on my character, I just quit the game. Will this game offer the same feeling? Maybe, I personally would have to try the game first and see how it is but I'm pretty confident that all of the game features and what it has to provide grossly outweighs the problem of perma-death.

I just want to reiterate - this game isn't for everyone but all I say is to give it a chance.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Agreed and in the same boat. This game will be harsh for the working man/woman.

Perma-death is not a good idea, imagine playing a year or more and losing all of your hard work and progression. Quite frankly, this game will be a griefers wet dream. To believe somehow that this game won't be a griefer's paradise is to not understand the history of these types of games.

Think Darkfall was bad? Heh.

I love every feature mentioned except perma-death. I won't pony up my cash and a year's play just to lose everything to an a**-hat griefer group.

I never played Darkfall, though I'm aware of its reputation.  But that game didn't have PD to my knowledge, and that does change things quite a bit.  With no conning, a dedicated PKer is probably going to run through their own characters pretty quick (PD goes both ways of course).  Also reequipping won't be as quick or easy, especially if you start pissing off settlements - and you do lose standing with them for killing their citizens (I know this from their website - not sure if it came up in the interview).  

I don't have a lot of time for gaming myself, though not because of family obligations, so I don't know if I could be a high-flying warrior in a game like this.  But I think there is enough to do in the game, what with crafting, hunting, settlement politics, dungeons, etc that you can have a fulfilling experience without being that hard-core front-lines player.  And what you don't lose upon death is a knowledge of the game and friends in contacts in your settlements.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    While I wish you guys all the best of lucky, I've no interest what so ever in a free for all gankfest, especially not one that uses perma death. I've played lots of these types of games over the years, and no matter how creative the Dev's are with the system, it always ends up in an arms race with the Goonie types.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76
    So, gathering from their screenshots. They managed to create a working prototype of a lightly forested grassland...
    Originally posted by coleman11b
    So, gathering from their screenshots. They managed to create a working prototype of a lightly forested grassland...

The working prototype they're referring to was the old build back in 2006 or whatever.  These screenshots are from the new build which they just started late last year or theresabouts.

Originally posted by Wraithone
    While I wish you guys all the best of lucky, I've no interest what so ever in a free for all gankfest, especially not one that uses perma death. I've played lots of these types of games over the years, and no matter how creative the Dev's are with the system, it always ends up in an arms race with the Goonie types.

Check out this link

http://www.thewhisperingmoon.com/library#

And click on the "Griefing & PvP" book (top right corner). I think this will help aliviate your notion of this gaming being a 'free-for-all gankfest'.

• PeskeyPixiePeskeyPixie Member Posts: 24

In response to Wraithone...

Show me a game where this doesn't happen. Have you bothered to go to their web site and read about the features? Most games out on the market have nothing to offer the players to keep them from experiencing high end level stagnancy so the players resort to ganking and griefing to relieve their boredom while they wait for the next expansion so they can throw yet another $60 for 5 more levels they will master in a week. ToA will offer a live GM team to run real time events for players to keep them occupied and offer some real fun and challenge. If you haven't read their web site I would highly recommend it before you condemn the game. Then if you decide it isn't for you then that is ok because this game wont be for everyone.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    LOL!  They think griefer/gankers will not find ways around the system to figure out who's a new player.   This game will be fun to read about.
  • I took a look at this so called "greifing" book on their site and sadly it just made me shake my head. Not only are the devs wearing rose colored glasses, but it seems like they have not played a single mmo in the past 10 years that allows for free pvp. I dont think they have a clue at what lenghts people go to these days to grief others. (minecraft comes to mind)

Also in many games that have pvp, guilds get powerful and orginize gankfests on players which just can not be stoped. Even in the old school games like EQ1 which I played at release we didnt have perma death. The concept of this game seems great, Im all for a harsh death penlty but the perma death, and total. seemingly ignorant view on griefing sadly turns me off from what could be a truely great game. Now if they had a pve server like all the oldschool games this game seems to try to get back to had, that would be a differnt story.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Check out this link

And click on the "Griefing & PvP" book (top right corner). I think this will help aliviate your notion of this gaming being a 'free-for-all gankfest'.

Thanks. I took the time to read that book.  I'm not seeing anything in there, that I've not seen before.   In some cases, many times before.   In no case, did the systems involved keep the Goonie types from their usual pass time of ruining other peoples play experience.  As I said, I wish you all the best, but this game is obviously not for me.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Check out this link

Nice site, seems to me the writer is incredibly naive to say the least.  The thought that his gamemasters can control the cheaters is hilarious.

I wish them luck, would love to find a good sandbox like this without the permadeath.  Once your character gets around 90 deaths your gameplay will become incredibly risk adverse, now tell me how much fun that will be.

Originally posted by pathiean

I took a look at this so called "greifing" book on their site and sadly it just made me shake my head. Not only are the devs wearing rose colored glasses, but it seems like they have not played a single mmo in the past 10 years that allows for free pvp. I dont think they have a clue at what lenghts people go to these days to grief others. (minecraft comes to mind)

Also in many games that have pvp, guilds get powerful and orginize gankfests on players which just can not be stoped. Even in the old school games like EQ1 which I played at release we didnt have perma death. The concept of this game seems great, Im all for a harsh death penlty but the perma death, and total. seemingly ignorant view on griefing sadly turns me off from what could be a truely great game. Now if they had a pve server like all the oldschool games this game seems to try to get back to had, that would be a differnt story.

If you read up on the features of the game, like settlements, you'll see that this not only is very difficult to do but something not entirely desired. Sure they can assemble a team of people and maurader around and see who they can find but do you realize how difficult it will be to find someone? There are no floating names above peoples heads AND you can wear clothing that will help you blend into your surroundings so good luck on that!

Furthermore, there is no radar or any kind of GPS in the game so if you think you can go out on a rampage and kill as many people as possible, you will more than likely end up getting yourselves lost and possibly killed.

And when night-time comes and you're out in the middle of nowhere, you can say 'bye-bye' to your butt because there ain't no way you're finding your way back!

Check out this link

Nice site, seems to me the writer is incredibly naive to say the least.  The thought that his gamemasters can control the cheaters is hilarious.

I wish them luck, would love to find a good sandbox like this without the permadeath.  Once your character gets around 90 deaths your gameplay will become incredibly risk adverse, now tell me how much fun that will be.

I'm sorry you feel that way. From my time I've spent in the ToA forums, talking to people and seeing how the GM's interact with the community and address key issues, I am pretty confident that they will tackle this kind of issue.

I certainly understand your concern and that is a concern of mine too but I would recommend keeping an open mind about it and wait to hear about what they are going to do about it. I mean, the game is still in very early development. Let's not jump to conclusions.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by pathiean

I took a look at this so called "greifing" book on their site and sadly it just made me shake my head. Not only are the devs wearing rose colored glasses, but it seems like they have not played a single mmo in the past 10 years that allows for free pvp. I dont think they have a clue at what lenghts people go to these days to grief others. (minecraft comes to mind)

If you read up on the features of the game, like settlements, you'll see that this not only is very difficult to do but something not entirely desired. Sure they can assemble a team of people and maurader around and see who they can find but do you realize how difficult it will be to find someone? There are no floating names above peoples heads AND you can wear clothing that will help you blend into your surroundings so good luck on that!

Furthermore, there is no radar or any kind of GPS in the game so if you think you can go out on a rampage and kill as many people as possible, you will more than likely end up getting yourselves lost and possibly killed.

And when night-time comes and you're out in the middle of nowhere, you can say 'bye-bye' to your butt because there ain't no way you're finding your way back!

Oh you mean on day 1?  Maybe.  Because by day two I am pretty sure there'd be a radar hack out ... maybe put a nice arrow over everyone's head.  Anonymity + ffa pvp + permadeath + human nature = good luck with the theorycrafting.  

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41

People read "open world PvP" and think that's the depth of the game, like all people are going to do is run around and try to kill each other. If that were the case, where would the gankers get their weapons? Their armor? Their food? Sure there might be 'ganker' guilds that try to kill people. They will be blacklisted by all the settlements, and then forced to fend for themselves. That means hunting, crafting a settlement, etc. And that one lone powerful ganker will get killed, lose his shit, and have to figure out a way to get it back. There's enough risk in this game for gankers to think twice about it and play the game in other ways, like the way it's meant to be played. It's much more likely you'll see the ganker types ambushing foresters trying to gather wood for their settlement than sitting outside of a settlement spamming "come at me noobs!" And that's the way the game is meant to be played. It's about risk, survival, and the weight of knowing that you can die in this game. I for one plan on being a hunter that lives out in the woods and hunts animals and monsters for items to sell to settlements. It will be risky. But that's so refreshing from "go kill 10 rats" right?

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I will kickstart this, so should you!

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sounds like another FFA PvP full loot (and permadeath too!) "sandbox" MMO made by a small dev team. I don't know why should I believe they are able to do anything better than AV or SV are doing.

Besides, FFA PvP attracts too many dickheads.

The magic system here is pretty darn cool, and I think a lot closer to how magic is handled in most fantasy literature: rare and powerful.  I think it will be cool to possess for the few who attain it but also pretty cool just to whitness.
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Sounds like another FFA PvP full loot (and permadeath too!) "sandbox" MMO made by a small dev team. I don't know why should I believe they are able to do anything better than AV or SV are doing.

I think before you roll out the 'jump to conclusions' mat, I recommend reading the more in-depth features about the game and also reading up the transcripts for the podcasts. Read up about the game and understand what is involved because when you do, you'll realize that this notion you have of this gaming being "Just another FFA PvP full loot" mmo will be far behind you!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Like EVE did? ^^ yeah those people know better than to make too many enemies. Judging one company because of all the others that came before it is about as fair as someone ganking noobs because they're noobs.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    As I understand it and my thinking is that this one would be a good one for Gankers!