Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes: Service Ending March 29th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

James Casey has posted a short farewell on the Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes site to let players know that the game will be ending its beta and full service run on March 29th.

Launched in Beta just over a year ago, the free-to-play battle arena version of Warhammer Online was a grand experiment.  We were able to test new server technology, learn more about the free-to-play market, and engage in endless quick, down and dirty, three-way battles any time of day or night.  On all of these fronts, we were able to make great inroads and insights and deliver a fast and frenetic game. 

Read the full post on the Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It was a pretty fun game, but it had so many glaring issues that weren't fixed when I was playing that it was just horrible. Plus it had almost no advertising, and a very small playerbase.
  • christwoodchristwood Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Bah, they should have just made Warhammer Online f2p instead of wasting funds on this garbage.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    It was a pretty fun game, but it had so many glaring issues that weren't fixed when I was playing that it was just horrible. Plus it had almost no advertising, and a very small playerbase.

I had fun playing the game a couple of times. There were a lot of issues thou. A lack of advertising kept the player base pretty small.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I had no idea this even existed.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    Originally posted by christwood
    Bah, they should have just made Warhammer Online f2p instead of wasting funds on this garbage.

+1

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123
    now get back to Warhammer online instead...
  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Skuall
    Originally posted by christwood

+1

+1000

But that was Mythic for you.

Can't say I'm really all that sad. With Warhammer Online, Mythic absolutely refused to ever listen to their playerbase and marched to the beat of its own drum. If you were able to look up stubborn-ass developer in the dictionary, you'd most likely see the Mythic or Warhammer Online logo.

Their devoted players pleaded with them on many topics/features/issues but it almost always was to no avail. That damn Bright Wizard exploit was one problem that springs to mind.

Anybody with half-a-brain could have told you that WoH was never going to draw a decent following. The damage had already been done with Warhammer Online. Too many players were already scorned from that debacle!

Your fail comment, failed.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    they should have made a real moba instead of this ... thing. oh well now that this thing is put out of its misery maybe a company will make a real warhammer 3rd person moba.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    I'm so not understanding why time was wasted on this project instead of simply fixing WAR.  It had so much potential yet so poorly executed with so many issues. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

This is a prime example of Mythic not understanding their own games.

Listen, Mythic:

Large scale open world PvP = 3 factions

Small scale instanced PvP / battlegrounds = 2 factions

They did exactly the opposite in WAR + WoH.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Id play a true warhammer MOBA in a heartbeat. I hate that this franchise doesnt get the work it deserves. Warhammer has the BEST art in high fantasy in my opinion. it deserves something worth its name and this dev just cant hack it.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by derek39
    Id play a true warhammer MOBA in a heartbeat. I hate that this franchise doesnt get the work it deserves. Warhammer has the BEST art in high fantasy in my opinion. it deserves something worth its name and this dev just cant hack it.

I agree. It's sad that we cant get a good MMO or MOBA from this awesome IP. But then again which awesome IP did create a good MMO?

LOTRO, AoC, DCU, SW:TOR etc are all trash MMOs. Probably the license costs too much so not much left to create a good MMO out of it.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Wasn't even out of beta.  Whole lot of quit in EA.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    at least they put together a nice swag-bag for WAR as a parting gift.

This have been a good conversation

• WontoonRooWontoonRoo Member UncommonPosts: 22

The biggest issue with this game was that the cash shop was glaringly pay-to-win. When I tried out the game,

-Healing potions could only be bought in the cash shop. Admittedly, they are somewhat useless as they can't be used during combat and you regain HP quickly.

-Some heroes could only be bought with real money. The ones that could be bought with cash were incredibly expensive and required you to play around 800-1000 games to unlock one if you didn't want to spend money.

-Character masteries could only be used if you bought the heroes. Think "talent trees". Naturally, this provided a huge disadvantage for anyone who was playing heroes in the free rotation (which did not allow you to use the masteries). Mastery points could also be bought in the Cash Shop.

-Balancing. Any team with a healer pretty much won the game. Healers were tough to take down, and you are guaranteed dominate over any team composed of just any hero in the (gasp!) free rotation. A simple fix for this would have been to have a healer always available in the free rotation, but the devs did not like that idea and just kept it random. The Masteries also fall in this category, as free players are easily dominated by characters with masteries.

All in all, this game has been the most glaring example of "pay to win" that I have ever encountered in any Free to Play MMO due to the fact that the game is balanced toward the paying customers. T'is sad too, since the game would have been fun to play if they fixed their issues but instead found the game was an exercise of "how long until you get so frustrated you will crack and throw us your money".

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan

Anybody with half-a-brain could have told you that WoH was never going to draw a decent following. The damage had already been done with Warhammer Online. Too many players were already scorned from that debacle!

That was one of the reasons I never checked WoH out indeed. Other reason is that i'm not a real MOBA player, but if WAR (or Mythic for that matter) was good enough, I might have given WoH a chance...

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan

That was one of the reasons I never checked WoH out indeed. Other reason is that i'm not a real MOBA player, but if WAR (or Mythic for that matter) was good enough, I might have given WoH a chance...

Oh I tried it specifically because of WAR. So I guess there was two sides to that coin. Small population of people who liked WAR who were willing to try it, and people who didn't want to touch it because of the fact that it came from the same place.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

had a blast with this game- unfortunately it had a huge legacy (Warhammer online) that  didnt go too well a few years back- will always love the warhammer franchise! and still love warhammer online!

sad day in mmo news.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Gaarawarr, for anyone who doesn't remember him, has been blogging WAR since launch and now runs the Wrath of Heroes community site 6v6v6.com. He is putting together an interview he had with the developers about the closing. He has said they have a bunch of heroes they are going to release before the game closes in a month. It sounds like the developers are handling the closure in a kind manner.

I don't play Warhammer Online anymore and haven't for a while. However, I only just uninstalled the game a couple of months ago and still think about it regularly. It has flaws but my reason for leaving was the smaller develpoment team that meant slower content releases. It is still my fondest PvP experience, especially later into its life when huge battles could be handled by the game. It is odd because when I play GW2, mechanically it seems like it should be more fun. However, I don't do WvWvW much because it just makes me think about WAR.

Sorry to those who played Wrath of Heroes and are losing something they value. I thought I read that you all will be getting a free month of WAR. I encourage you to try it out if you haven't. They are very similar.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• pmreeb23pmreeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I'll put money down that Mythic/EA will announce Warhammer Online F2P within 2 months.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by WontoonRoo

The biggest issue with this game was that the cash shop was glaringly pay-to-win. When I tried out the game,

-Healing potions could only be bought in the cash shop. Admittedly, they are somewhat useless as they can't be used during combat and you regain HP quickly.

-Some heroes could only be bought with real money. The ones that could be bought with cash were incredibly expensive and required you to play around 800-1000 games to unlock one if you didn't want to spend money.

-Character masteries could only be used if you bought the heroes. Think "talent trees". Naturally, this provided a huge disadvantage for anyone who was playing heroes in the free rotation (which did not allow you to use the masteries). Mastery points could also be bought in the Cash Shop.

-Balancing. Any team with a healer pretty much won the game. Healers were tough to take down, and you are guaranteed dominate over any team composed of just any hero in the (gasp!) free rotation. A simple fix for this would have been to have a healer always available in the free rotation, but the devs did not like that idea and just kept it random. The Masteries also fall in this category, as free players are easily dominated by characters with masteries.

All in all, this game has been the most glaring example of "pay to win" that I have ever encountered in any Free to Play MMO due to the fact that the game is balanced toward the paying customers. T'is sad too, since the game would have been fun to play if they fixed their issues but instead found the game was an exercise of "how long until you get so frustrated you will crack and throw us your money".

This

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    I don't really understand how this game even came about. Was it because scenarios were fairly popular in Warhammer years ago? So they figured that they would make a game that basically just offered that sort of experience, but with a cash shop? 
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by endgame1
    I don't really understand how this game even came about. Was it because scenarios were fairly popular in Warhammer years ago? So they figured that they would make a game that basically just offered that sort of experience, but with a cash shop? 

The idea was that since Age of Reckoning and Wrath of Heroes both used the same assets with minor alterations, the development of Wrath of Heroes could give more love to Age of Reckoning while likely also hoping to give Mythic Employees more job security. I never hated the idea, but I always preferred Age of Reckoning so I didn't get big into Wrath of Heroes.

Think of it this way. EA was looking for more titles to throw into their F2P box that they were building at the time. Mythic suggested something that was already mostly built. I don't think the project harmed anyone. If anything it likely made Mythic float a little better. I hope its closure doesn't impact WAR.

My only complaint about Wrath of Heroes coming into existance is that it should have been Age of Reckoning to go F2P. However, can you imagine going to EA and asking for a bunch of money to turn a struggling game into a F2P title? EA isn't the friendliest giant so I understand why they went the direction that they did.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I hope the responible person for this crap idea was fired and wont be hired again in other gaming companies