Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: On Guild Missions and Spirit Watch PvP

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Today marks the release of new content in Guild Wars 2. We had a team take part in a preview of Flame & Frost: The Gathering Storm. See what we discovered before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

The tour started off with a look into the Spirit Watch PvP map.  Right away I was just in awe at how amazing this map looks.  Plant life and architecture fill your screen, giving you an epic setting to do battle in.  This map also had several layers of elevation, offering a ton of interesting ways for players to strategize against the other team.  But this also served as just another way to create a visually pleasing experience for PvP players. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: On Guild Missions and Spirit Watch PvP

By climbing up you can watch players below to check for weak point in enemy formations

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    To the point "each map its unique gameplay": I dont consider the domination-system on each pvp map to be unique. So for me this was a real breaker at spvp in gw2. But anyway, good to see they keep bringing the content. But for me its a little bit too much copy pasting with really small alternations.

Hodor!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    To the point "each map its unique gameplay": I dont consider the domination-system on each pvp map to be unique. So for me this was a real breaker at spvp in gw2. But anyway, good to see they keep bringing the content. But for me its a little bit too much copy pasting with really small alternations.

SO the game has been out 6 months and you are complaining that the additions are small? You really went there?

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Im talking about spvp. And I disliked the point that every map has a domination system. As bad as the whole pvp experience in Swtor was, but huttball for example was truly unique and outstanding. I dont get why arenanet copy pastes their domination to every single spvp map. They could easily do better than that.

Hodor!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They want to perfect the domination map style and not have to balance several different map styles whilst also juggling profession balance on each map.

To be honest, I understand what you mean about playing the same game-type but the maps are so different that for me, that just doesn't come into play. 

This is not a game.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Each map follows the superset of domination-style rules but they are all VERY different.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Im talking about spvp. And I disliked the point that every map has a domination system. As bad as the whole pvp experience in Swtor was, but huttball for example was truly unique and outstanding. I dont get why arenanet copy pastes their domination to every single spvp map. They could easily do better than that.

They've already said this was done to support a simple framework for players to understand and easily cast. They are thinking about GW2 pvp in terms of esport and they believe that this suits that purpose.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    My guild houses about 20 members and it will take us about 70 weeks to unlock all guild missions. This is plain stupid. A system for enhancing the play of guilds hindered by a utter useless obstacle to use it. Its an update for massguilds, who will get the points for it easily, but a pain in the ass for most of the other guilds. Well done ArenaNet.
  • They have already stated somewhere that the number of people in a guild will have no effect on how quickly you can unlock the missions, the first ones are unlocked using influence but after that you need to use a currency that the guild gains through completing the missions, so there is a hard cap on how quickly you can unlock the missions no matter how many people play. Especially as the missions scale depending on how many players are involved.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I find it funny (and sad) that ANet believes a inter-guild interaction will happen with this 'guild missions' even though GW2's guild system is horrendously bad.

I can understand trying to focus a lot of the game mechanics in guilds (influence / quests etc) but focusing on an area where the support system isn't there for the playerbase / Guild members seems bizzare.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I agree that these maps (spvp) are to small. I logged on and played the new map three times and that was enough to fully understand all the ins and outs of it. I'm more interested in the WvW changes in the next large patch. 
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

looked GW2 after last patch, seems like major nerf, offer nothing much compare to what was taken.

guess it time to forget about and move away.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2