Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

It seems to me, and a lot of other people too, that TESO is not a true successor to TES, it is an attempt to reskin DAoC.

This might be entirely unfair.

It might not.

The key here is how many of the beloved core elements of TES have been compromised by the beloved elements of DAoC.

What do you think?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Never Once have i heard them say anything along the lines of We are really passionate about the Elder Scrolls

They have always said: "We have systems TES players would like."

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    "TESO is not a true successor" Oh fuck ... this again. It is not successor at all ... there will by proper TES game done by bethesda. This is MMO set in TES universe with MMO mechanics. It is done by another company, by another people. Was wow true successor of Warcraft? Because last i chesked i did not see any basebuilding in there.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by walltar
    "TESO is not a true successor" Oh fuck ... this again. It is not successor at all ... there will by proper TES game done by bethesda. This is MMO set in TES universe with MMO mechanics. It is done by another company, by another people. Was wow true successor of Warcraft? Because last i chesked i did not see any basebuilding in there.

I do sympathise - but I intend to keep banging this drum in as non-bias a way as I can.

You'll see from the poll choices at least that despite my personal opinion, all options are available to vote on.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    What do you hope to accomplish? Whatever this title is has already been set long ago, it will not be changing.

It really does seem like it will be more of a RVR centric title a la DAOC with modern theme park design elements that have been modified somewhat based on ESO gameplay and lore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I like this thread because it calls ESO out for what it is.  I don't care what the developers are trying to feed us, they never intended to make a TES MMO (originally tab targeting, no proper FPV,  no faction choice and limited exploration is not TES).  They wanted to make money by creating a generic MMO with DAoC RvR in a TES skin.

I think they underestimated TES.  They should've concentrated more on the franchise and converting what systems they can to a MMO format instead of copying an old ass RvR game that no one plays.  Morrowind has more players right now than DAoC (according to xfire).

They took a series that has been redefining the RPG genre for years and made it into a cheap knock-off.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    This whole thing has fascinated me.  I can't remember ever seeing a game where its IP's fans generally seem to hate the concept but another IP's fans have adopted it as their own.  I can't recall ever seeing a fan-transplant like this where DAoC fans are defending this to the hilt while TES fans are generally dismissive.  That speaks volumes to me about how badly they've screwed up their PR in how the game is perceived, and that's without even considering whether their design choices are wise or not.

• RottenbrainsRottenbrains Member Posts: 2
    As far as i'm concerned, TESO was supposed to be an MMORPG designed for TES fans, using elements of the TES we love.

What I really enjoyed in the TES games was the fast paced first person combat that did not include ANY hotbars, the random encounters, the vast amount of quests that can be interesting, rewarding, funny, or all three of those...And ofcourse the fact that I could lift up objects and put them on shopkeepers' heads, so I could loot everything they owned.

Sure, killing enemies and spawning cheese was fun, but face it, that's not the thing you were doing most of your time.

They will likely remove some things like pickpocketing, for reasons I understand.

Though, for players who really love those options, they should make a seperate server...OR allow players to create their own servers, never saw an MMORPG with player-ran servers (Unless you count Minecraft as MMORPG)...Agree/dissagree?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Originally posted by walltar

I do sympathise - but I intend to keep banging this drum in as non-bias a way as I can.

You'll see from the poll choices at least that despite my personal opinion, all options are available to vote on.

Why? What do you hope to accomplish? Why is something, a game, that is attempting to combine aspects of multiple systems a bad thing? Or needs to be banged on by you of all people?

You do realize countless other games have done the same thing right? An entire organization was founded on the idea "we will combine and iterate on multiple sysstem". (Blizzard)

Me thinks you do not need to bang the drum at all.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Rottenbrains
    Though, for players who really love those options, they should make a seperate server...OR allow players to create their own servers, never saw an MMORPG with player-ran servers (Unless you count Minecraft as MMORPG)...Agree/dissagree?

Hell yeah I agree. I created a thread here stating that they should give all subscribers their own server (exactly like ESO online but with only one player). In this server they could add housing and other perks from the single player version. Then players could be encouraged to invite others to their server (up to 2000) or play on a public server.

I also think that the developers make their own mods and give them to subscribers (or charge b2p/f2p). These dev mods could open all sorts of options and not effect the official game.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    How the hell could anyone answer that quesiton before playing the game? Seriously??

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Rottenbrains
    As far as i'm concerned, TESO was supposed to be an MMORPG designed for TES fans, using elements of the TES we love. What I really enjoyed in the TES games was the fast paced first person combat that did not include ANY hotbars, the random encounters, the vast amount of quests that can be interesting, rewarding, funny, or all three of those...And ofcourse the fact that I could lift up objects and put them on shopkeepers' heads, so I could loot everything they owned. Sure, killing enemies and spawning cheese was fun, but face it, that's not the thing you were doing most of your time. They will likely remove some things like pickpocketing, for reasons I understand. Though, for players who really love those options, they should make a seperate server...OR allow players to create their own servers, never saw an MMORPG with player-ran servers (Unless you count Minecraft as MMORPG)...Agree/dissagree?

Ahh but you see.  In fact it did include hotbars.  Hotbars designed for a console, one in which you favorite an item and can access its functionality through the favorites system is infact a hotbar albeit hidden.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by spankybus
    How the hell could anyone answer that quesiton before playing the game? Seriously??

Have you not read anything about this game?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

What it is, is a game I will play. All other nitpicky shit is just something to keep the bored busy arguing...

it will release as a total package that will be either worth playing or not... can't wait to leave all these specualtive threads behind and actually play the damn thing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

In the past: "This game does not appeal to me, i shall ignore it and move on to follow games that do appeal to me."

Now: "This game does not appeal to me, it should be changed to my liking or i will make posts on every forum on the internet about how this game is worse than Hitler."

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by sapphen

Sure, and nothing about the reading tells you the degree of success that TESO will Channel DAoC....well integrated? Clumsily?? That kind of flavor can only be known by actually chewing the gum, not reading the wrapper.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by timtrack

In the past: "This game does not appeal to me, i shall ignore it and move on to follow games that do appeal to me."

Now: "This game does not appeal to me, it should be changed to my liking or i will make posts on every forum on the internet about how this game is worse than Hitler."

Roflmao...good one :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Sure, and nothing about the reading tells you the degree of success that TESO will Channel DAoC....well integrated? Clumsily?? That kind of flavor can only be known by actually chewing the gum, not reading the wrapper.

That's your opinion.  The reason why I think they did it rather clumsily is they changed the lore and faction locked areas/races in order to make the 3 faction system.  I think they are using the IP to make a DAoC knock-off because they did these things at the cost of established TES mechanics.  I have all the information I need to make my assessment, I don't need to chew on a piece of liquorice to tell you I don't like it.

Originally posted by Iselin

Although zeni is making the game, Bethesda has always welcomed fan feedback.  I can't help it that the DAoC fans or ESO supporters get angry at us for voicing our concerns.  The whole thing escalates because anyone who says something against the current design is attacked and made to look like a fanatic.  Half of my frustration has nothing to do with the game but the sheep who blindly support it.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    This whole thing has fascinated me.  I can't remember ever seeing a game where its IP's fans generally seem to hate the concept but another IP's fans have adopted it as their own.  I can't recall ever seeing a fan-transplant like this where DAoC fans are defending this to the hilt while TES fans are generally dismissive.  That speaks volumes to me about how badly they've screwed up their PR in how the game is perceived, and that's without even considering whether their design choices are wise or not.

Its kind of sad really. We have 2 games in development,

One is an Elder Scrolls game that fans are happy with it being made as a DAOC2

The other is the actual DAOC2, but you see fans clamoring for it to be made like Skyrim.

Something is seriously wrong in the world of MMOs

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by Iselin

Although zeni is making the game, Bethesda has always welcomed fan feedback.  I can't help it that the DAoC fans or ESO supporters get angry at us for voicing our concerns.  The whole thing escalates because anyone who says something against the current design is attacked and made to look like a fanatic.  Half of my frustration has nothing to do with the game but the sheep who blindly support it.

Much more than half of my frustration comes from the humorless zealotry evidenced by some of the critics in this forum. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but that's not what I see in this particular forum day after day.

timtrack nailed it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

LOL, right on. The White Knights will save us all.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

It seems to me, and a lot of other people too, that TESO is not a true successor to TES, it is an attempt to reskin DAoC.

This might be entirely unfair.

It might not.

The key here is how many of the beloved core elements of TES have been compromised by the beloved elements of DAoC.

What do you think?

Caliburn, after your repeated threads you just come off as bitter. 

I feel pity that you have nothing else in your life to do, but try and knockdown a game that has not yet been released.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

What I find the most hopeful is that we finally have more than one game to discuss and assorted relics to pine for.

But TESO seems to be setting themselves up to take it from both ends... two sets of disenchanted fans, rather than the more normal one.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by fs23otm

I feel pity that you have nothing else in your life to do, but try and knockdown a game that has not yet been released.

...and you're saying he comes off as bitter?

TES is a great series and not all of us can just sit around and watch them screw up an iconic franchise.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by fs23otm

...and you're saying he comes off as bitter?

TES is a great series and not all of us can just sit around and watch them screw up an iconic franchise.

And guess what, all your whines and threats mean nothing.

The Devs know how to make a game better then you do... bottomline.

Don't like it then don't play...