Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

full voice over

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Imagine where this can go, a full voiced MMORPG.

I just read the voice over discussion in the TESO forums and thought, what about make it already full voiced ?

Try to imagine, your character has your voice, embedded in the game and environment sounds as if it would speak itself and is heared by other players.

Imagine a voice effected NPC that you have to say "open shop" to get his duty.

I can nearly imagine a MMORPG completely without text chat, raids would be chaotic :)

Do you think it could work ?

Comments

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Since when has a single raider used text chat :/

Voice recognition software just isn't good enough right now for all the interactions required in an mmo. The simple commands wouldn't feel natural at all.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Just what I want to hear is the 13 year old whiny trolls using their real voice.. Sounds splendid. =)
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

From Second Life, it can be fun and immersive.

I imagine it would be a complete and utter nightmare to moderate though.

Didn't EQ2 do something like this?  Not sure if it ever was implemented.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I did my batchelor's thesis on voice user interfaces and apart from the technical aspect there's tons of issues that need to be researched and adressed before it could be considered a serious competitor to a more conventional user interface or even as a valuable supporting UI.

• There's conversational dynamics. How to make the computer-human dialog feel natural? We are currently very far off to make a computer sound and respond like a human at the moment.
    • How to separate voice commands from regular talk without it becoming awkward and unwieldy. (Perhaps the simplest way would be push-to-talk.)
    • How many voice commands a person can be expected to remember and how they should be structured so people wouldn't necessarily have to remember them.
    • Then there's the speed: VUI is slower in pretty much everything except when the desired function is behind multiple layers of menus. However, good UI design wouldn't put a frequently used function behind multiple layers of menus anyways so remembering an obscure, rarely used voice command becomes an issue.

In short: No, it wouldn't work.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Can my character talk like the Microsoft text to speech guy?  :)

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I don't have this issue as i use vent to go raiding with Professor Stephen Hawking.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

team speak is good enough, I don't need to look like "I speak with my comp" for hours. =D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Built-in voice chat should be standard for all new MMOs.   A voice-based UI, on the other hand, would be a disaster.  The tech is simply not up to it.   If you've ever tried using Kinect's voice recognition to control a Netflix movie, you know what I'm talking about.  "X-Box pause..... X-box.... PAUSE!..... X-BOX! PAUSE!!"
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

First make a game where NPCs respond to emotes, then worry about voice recognition.

(personally, I've still never even used vent)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by maplestone

First make a game where NPCs respond to emotes, then worry about voice recognition.

(personally, I've still never even used vent)

Voice recognition is not that accurate. Even Siri, which has very limited understanding (which makes it MUCH easier) is not 100% accurate. High enough to be useful but low enough to be annoying.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.