Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sounding more like WoW every day

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

Belive it ot not, WoW is not a bad game. 

sure, but copying it wholesales and changing fringe features instead of the fundamental game design is not good. it's guaranteed to bore, no matter how flashy your side dishes are.

Why do people make large sweeping statments like this without reading up on the game first lol. You are so ignorant of WS I am not sure why you are posting? Trolling? You like another MMO more so you hope to turn people away from Wildstar? A Wildstar Dev slept with your sister?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

40m raids

well it's been a while since we've seen that.

I'am willing to give it a shot just for that ^^

Oh man. People are excited about 40 man raids? Has the MMO genre really devolved so much that such a mundane feature is EXCITING?

I loved the large scale raids in DAoC to get respec gems. Was fun getting together with 40-80 players. How is a large scale raids mundane?

I would never call a 40 man raid "large scale". DAoC and EQ had large scale raids. A 40 person instanced raid is a rather bland, small, skillless affair.

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

40m raids

well it's been a while since we've seen that.

I'am willing to give it a shot just for that ^^

Oh man. People are excited about 40 man raids? Has the MMO genre really devolved so much that such a mundane feature is EXCITING?

I loved the large scale raids in DAoC to get respec gems. Was fun getting together with 40-80 players. How is a large scale raids mundane?

I would never call a 40 man raid "large scale". DAoC and EQ had large scale raids. A 40 person instanced raid is a rather bland, small, skillless affair.

Who says there instance 40 man raids? We know nothing about there raid system. We do know they have open world raid bosses. Got more magic info no one really knows?

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Anyone know if the raids in WS will have a cross server lfg tool, or will it be same server lfr tool?
    Originally posted by funcon
    Anyone know if the raids in WS will have a cross server lfg tool, or will it be same server lfr tool?

LFG finder is in, Jeremy Gaffney confirmed that in the mmorpg.com interview a few weeks ago. If the LFG finder will be cross-realm we don't know (yet). No word on a dungeon finder yet or if that will be cross server.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

LFG finder is in, Jeremy Gaffney confirmed that in the mmorpg.com interview a few weeks ago. If the LFG finder will be cross-realm we don't know (yet). No word on a dungeon finder yet or if that will be cross server.

I don't mind a lfg tool as long as it is same server that would be cool.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I don't mind a lfg tool as long as it is same server that would be cool.

God i hope its cross server (all of them).  Spending hours in Ironforge/orgermmar looking for a groups sucked.   

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    this is just one persons look at me i need attention thread why leave blizzard if your just gonna make the same thing again , much less risky to keep your old job
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Why people even bother replying to topics like these? every time a new MMO is about to release some special snowflake had to make a WOW comparison. it is like a clock work.

I know i am also replying to this topic now and bumping it up but i really had to ask. Wouldn't it be great just let such lcliche topics die? nothing good comes out of these discussions anyways. Why give attention to OP?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Why people even bother replying to topics like these? every time a new MMO is about to release some special snowflake had to make a WOW comparison. it is like a clock work.

I know i am also replying to this topic now and bumping it up but i really had to ask. Wouldn't it be great just let such lcliche topics die? nothing good comes out of these discussions anyways. Why give attention to OP?

Because when you have been reading up on a game and you know the facts about it and some yahoo starts a thread saying, dont play this game its all instanced and will fail, and then you get fools posting. Thanks for the info, guess I will pass on this game. Then you have to set the record straight. The PvE world is one persistant map with no zones. Im not sure why people make up crap about games, its like they want to see them fail and that I dont get. Every new MMO that does well, only makes sure we get better MMOs and adds to the depth of our gaming. So ya I get a little ticked when people game bash when there is no reason to bash, or they make up a reason.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    It pretty much LOOKS like WoW, wouldn´t wonder if it PLAYS like WoW... probably same target audience...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

Yeah I agree.  It's possible their set of unique features may make it a bit more fun but overall yes it's very much in the same vein.  Using the term Wow clone incites a lot of ridiculous rebut - I would just say it seems very generic themepark ish on a lot of levels.

Originally posted by Nadia

WOW did not have housing or dyed armor

and none of the questions asked about what players can do at endgame

As the OP said, just like every other clone to date "with it's own set of a few unique features"

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Margulis

WOW did not have housing or dyed armor   and none of the questions asked about what players can do at endgame

As the OP said, just like every other clone to date "with it's own set of a few unique features"

Well then every MMO is a clone, cuz they all have a character that you control, and you have skills, and you kill stuff... need I go on? 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by FromHell
    It pretty much LOOKS like WoW, wouldn´t wonder if it PLAYS like WoW... probably same target audience...

Look like WOW as in graphic style? only because it has a stylised look doesn't mean its look like WOW. Unless it was WOW who invented stylised graphics.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Varthander

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.   http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

"Facepalm"

The funniest thing about that article is how it talks about how exciting the news of 40 man raids are. Are you kidding me??!! There's a reason those were phased out and you don't see them anymore - because they are a GIANT pain in the ass!! Getting 20 people on the same page to show up on time is hard enough, god don't remind me of the nights of pain and suffering trying to get 40 people on the same page.......... For every 1 person that's going to be excited about that there are likely 50-100 groaning.
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

"Facepalm"

The funniest thing about that article is how it talks about how exciting the news of 40 man raids are. Are you kidding me??!! There's a reason those were phased out and you don't see them anymore - because they are a GIANT pain in the ass!! Getting 20 people on the same page to show up on time is hard enough, god don't remind me of the nights of pain and suffering trying to get 40 people on the same page.......... For every 1 person that's going to be excited about that there are likely 50-100 groaning.

Yep it is just a bad idea.  Also if you look at the videos it is clear that friendly aoe's show up on the ground so it is going to be a cluster f, your screan just lighting up in blue, with out any clear idea what spell is what.   

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Those are pretty minor things, and endgame? it'll be the same pointless raiding that every other mmorpg uses. Except maybe they will get smart and add in a use for the raid gear to make it worth getting it. Outside of more raids, be nice if the raid gear was the best pvp gear too. That would make raiding actually worth it. I've played wow, rift, and lots of other mmorpgs get to level cap, then just quit, because the endgame is completly pointless and a waste of peoples time.. yet people are stupid enough to fall for it. Bascally i want a mmorpg to have raiding, and have the raid gear serve purposes outside of raiding, like endgame pvp best gear, and such.

But yeah, Wildstar honestly just looks like the newest exact copy of wow, with a few very minor extra's. Housing and dyeable armor, won't mask the fact the game is bascally just wow in a new skin. Yet people are going to fall for the same shit again like all the other mmo's. They'll buy it, then most of them will quit before their included month is up, maybe the game will keep very few for a 2nd month. Its the usual pattern, since mmo's today allow you to hit the level cap way to fast, IMO they need to make it not so soloable and make it take a few months.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by birdycephon

Well then every MMO is a clone, cuz they all have a character that you control, and you have skills, and you kill stuff... need I go on? 

So you're telling me there is no difference between the comparison of games such as Wildstar and RIFT to wow, as say Star Wars Galaxies, Arche Age or The Secret World to wow?  Because they share a few common core features that every mmo will likely have?  hhmmmmm

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

So you're telling me there is no difference between the comparison of games such as Wildstar and RIFT to wow, as say Star Wars Galaxies, Arche Age or The Secret World to wow?  Because they share a few common core features that every mmo will likely have?  hhmmmmm

More likely every computer game will have. Its fallacy and one to drop down to when theres no other arguments. Wildstar indeed looks like a facelifted WoW, with a new perk or a bit diferent things once in the blue moon.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

"Facepalm"

Actually im 100% more excited now that 40m raiding is confirmed.

sucks to be you =)

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Here's the thing. It's okay to be like wow. Blizzard has actually managed to get some things right over the years. 

The problem arises when you set out to be exactly like WoW. From what I've seen, Wildstar doesn't seem to be doing this.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by tintilinic

More likely every computer game will have. Its fallacy and one to drop down to when theres no other arguments. Wildstar indeed looks like a facelifted WoW, with a new perk or a bit diferent things once in the blue moon.

Please, list features that Wildstar is 'cloning' from WoW that aren't generic to the MMO genre itself and present in most titles...

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Alberel

Please, list features that Wildstar is 'cloning' from WoW that aren't generic to the MMO genre itself and present in most titles...

!

How about big yellow exclaimation marks?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Alberel

!

How about big yellow exclaimation marks?

actually the marks came from diablo 2

Mark Kern:

They were my fault to begin with, at least partially. You see, I worked on World of Warcraft, the most quest-hub heavy game in existence. I even helped come up with that dang exclamation mark, borrowing it from Diablo 2 and being inspired by Metal Gear Solid.