Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boulders, Trees, Bushes, Mounds... All useless because of Enemy Name Tags.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

This thread is geared towards World PvP.

We have these big beautiful worlds that consist of trees, rocks, bushes, hills, sand dunes, and piles of snow. However, because of this gigantic beacon of light (name tag) that hangs above my head, I cannot use any of the environment to my advantage, e.g., hiding behind a boulder in order to avoid a nearby enemy ganksquad, crawling through some tall grass in order to sneak up on an enemy force, walking in the thicket in order to traverse hostile territory without instant trouble.

The name tag is ultimately a big arrow that says, "Here I am!" It's big and bright letters give everyone away. Thus, these lush environments become virtually useless.

If there must be an enemy name tag, then it should be made not to show unless you click on that player (not tab).

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

We have these big beautiful worlds that consist of trees, rocks, bushes, hills, sand dunes, and piles of snow. However, because of this gigantic beacon of light (name tag) that hangs above my head, I cannot use any of the environment to my advantage, e.g., hiding behind a boulder in order to avoid a nearby enemy ganksquad, crawling through some tall grass in order to sneak up on an enemy force, walking in the thicket in order to traverse hostile territory without instant trouble.

The name tag is ultimately a big arrow that says, "Here I am!" It's big and bright letters give everyone away. Thus, these lush environments become virtually useless.

If there must be an enemy name tag, then it should be made not to show unless you click on that player (not tab).

Can you crawl, at all, under any circumstances?

Gotta crawl before you can walk...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

Yeah but the problem is that even if they removed the name tag there would still (probably) need to be a health tag above their head.

ALSO, in most MMOs you can just press [TAB] to target.

MMO's aren't shooters. 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Can you crawl, at all, under any circumstances?

Gotta crawl before you can walk...

I was able to prone/crawl via Star Wars Galaxies and courch/move via EverQuest II.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I was able to prone/crawl via Star Wars Galaxies and courch/move via EverQuest II.

Not many allow crouch or crawling, that's an FPS feature that (generally) has not seen much adaptation in mmo land.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

Yeah but the problem is that even if they removed the name tag there would still (probably) need to be a health tag above their head.

MMO's aren't shooters. 

I don't care what the fine details are, so long as name tags don't give our positions away. They can do a variety of things, e.g., making health appear if you attack them, make their name show if you click on them, make their name show if they are within 25m. Moreover, I already mentioned the [TAB] thing in the original post.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293

I completely agree with you. What is even more frustrating is that in most mmo's you can't even read the god damn things untill  you are standing next to them. Or you can get all kinds of weird titles ingame that are put in front of your char name so it's even more confusing to read them.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

MMO's aren't shooters. 

I don't care what the fine details are, so long as name tags don't give our positions away. They can do a variety of things, e.g., making health appear if you attack them, make their name show if you click on them, make their name show if they are within 25m. Moreover, I already mentioned the [TAB] thing in the original post.

they could also make a mechanic where certain things give 'cover', and will essentially stealth a player until you discover them in some fashion.  a player in cover would lose the stealth for an instant if they attacked or moved too much. players would need to flush out enemies, targeting spots that would appear to be good cover with AOE attacks, or by actually walking up to the person in cover.

this could lead to other mechanics, 'spotting' abilities which could lead to whole skill trees based upon improved detection, abilities to 'flag' what you have seen from a distance, etc...these abilities could even transfer to siege warfare, with an ability for the spotter to put a flare of sorts on a target, allowing for easier targeting.

of course the game would have to more or less revolve around this sort of large scale pvp (and im sure my ideas have most likely been done already)

edit:world of tanks and DDo have elements similar to what im describing

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Darkfall doesnt have nameplate above head. I do agree with out though they suck bad in PvP games fair enough it it was just a pve game with no PvP but they just such a silly thing to have in PvP makes thing alot harder to hide and stuff :(
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    You'd have to get rid of enemies appearing on radar/mini-map, too.  I always found those to be much more of a giveaway than the name since the name isn't always rendered depending on the range.

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    You'd have to get rid of enemies appearing on radar/mini-map, too.  I always found those to be much more of a giveaway than the name since the name isn't always rendered depending on the range.

They are both sass, IMO - especially the radar.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

They are both sass, IMO - especially the radar.

Yeah, I never understood how a character I could barely make out and couldn't identify was somehow a known enemy on my radar.  Took all element of stealth and surprise away.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I've not played an mmo that has enemies on radar, but in gw2 and planetside 2 you can't see healthbars, and in gw2 no names until they are close.

Being occluded in any way really should remove the interface stuff for them though. Or just give everyone stealth like in aoc / teso etc

Originally posted by emikochan

I've not played an mmo that has enemies on radar, but in gw2 and planetside 2 you can't see healthbars, and in gw2 no names until they are close.

Being occluded in any way really should remove the interface stuff for them though. Or just give everyone stealth like in aoc / teso etc

This isn't about just hiding from other players. It's about using your head and adapting to the environment. I never liked "stealth" classes. If a player wants to be "stealthy", then that player needs to be smart, e.g., not walking in the open field, staying off the main road, always looking for an exit strategy.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Dauzqul</i>
    <br><b><blockquote> <i>Originally posted by emikochan</i><br /> <p><b>I've not played an mmo that has enemies on radar, but in gw2 and planetside 2 you can't see healthbars, and in gw2 no names until they are close.</b></p> <p><b> </b></p> <p><b>Being occluded in any way really should remove the interface stuff for them though. Or just give everyone stealth like in aoc / teso etc</b></p></blockquote><p>This isn't about just hiding from other players. It's about using your head and adapting to the environment. I never liked "stealth" classes. If a player wants to be "stealthy", then that player needs to be smart, e.g., not walking in the open field, staying off the main road, always looking for an exit strategy.</p></b></blockquote>
    <p> </p>

Agree. Would be great to see more MMOs allow "real" stealth instead of canned stealth.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Who needs trees or bushes when a 200 foot giant robot can sneak up on you like a champ. You know what Im talking about.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Not many allow crouch or crawling, that's an FPS feature that (generally) has not seen much adaptation in mmo land.

You could work it like LoL where if you go into tall grass you automatically blend in and crouch when exit becomes normal again.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    It's not just PvP - any mechanic handled client-side that involves hiding objects from the player's vision simply rewards people who have the right "here it is!" add-ons.
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    It's be nice to be able to hide in shrubs but in most MMOs its pointless. Just adjust graphic settings and most of the cover you'd use would disappear. Many a poor shlub would be hiding in bushes that didn't even exist to his pursuer/victim. E.g. I actually tried to hide in high grass a few times in Mount and Blade Warband.I was briefly puzzled why archers saw me or people would run straight to me and hack me to pieces while I was apparently kneeling and enshrouded in thick high grass.Then I realized they likely didn't have the settings on high. Doh!