Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I make money in this game?

Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410

This is my biggest question. Maybe there's a way that I don't know about. But I'm sitting at around 4-5g right now and that seems to be my max. I go to the Trading Post and see these legendary items going for between 2-3 thousand gold. I have no way of even beginning to make that much.

I just want to know, how do you make money? I've got my leatherworking up to 400 but to make an exotic piece I have to buy 5 ectos and then it about evens up, if not I make maybe 20s at the most.

SWTOR has their dailies, and i'm not asking for the same here but I just would like to figure out a way to make some decent cash. I'm not saying a hundred gold in a day but just a few g here and there to start building up to a decent amount. Everything just seems so out of reach at the moment.

Comments

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

just play the game?

1 rare is 0-1g depends of how many ectos you get

in 1 hour you can get alot or rares and salvage them

or you can just sell them if you dont like the gamble :)

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36

Running dungeons could give you some gold , also farming Orr can give some some cool stuff to salvage. 

Last you could always buy gems or that would be what ANET would want you to do .... 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Have as much magic find buffs you can muster ans either do overland PVE for rares or dungeons.

You can either sell the rares or salvage them for ectos.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    I don't plan on buying gems just purely to swap for gold. The gem-gold ratio is too damn low.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

I don't plan on buying gems just purely to swap for gold. The gem-gold ratio is too damn low.

buying gems is a horrible way to make gold way to expensive to be worth it..like said above stack explorer gear to up your magic find and get some omnom food to boost it up a lot..I'm at work so don't have the spots but just going around doing events with all that magic find can net you a decent amount of gold per hour...also look on YouTube some decent guides on there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Dungeons should give you over 1g per hour. Farming high-end areas like Orr should also be profitable, but for some reason it has never worked well for me.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    if u are lucky you can sell it for 35bucks.
    Also don't expect to make enough money to be able to buy a legendary on the tp in any sort of reasonable time.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think some play the market....which is about as fun as going to the dentist. Farming gold in Orr is very slow going even with max magic find. Ive seen people claim they make 4 g an hour in Orr. I pull in maybe 1g an hr there. I think dungeons may be the most profitable.

Ive never played an mmo that was this difficult to make cash. Ive accepted the fact that I will be eternally poor in this game.
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I think some play the market....which is about as fun as going to the dentist. Farming gold in Orr is very slow going even with max magic find. Ive seen people claim they make 4 g an hour in Orr. I pull in maybe 1g an hr there. I think dungeons may be the most profitable.

Ive never played an mmo that was this difficult to make cash. Ive accepted the fact that I will be eternally poor in this game.

must not of played many MMOs then..also considering even if you don't craft your own exotics or use karma to get them.. Pieces can be bought for only a couple gold each..you can easily be fully geared in no time at all

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    At 42k karma a piece you will not gear out your toon in "no time at all". You also need to buy runes, sigils and exotic weapons. I just wish there was more than one karma grinding spot than cursed shores. I don't mind grinding if I can have a change of scenery from time to time. And don't say go to lower lvl zone as they will be less gold and karma for your time. They also just nerfed gold makingv in Orr with yesterdays patch (addition of craptastic loot dropping champion mobs).

At 42k karma a piece you will not gear out your toon in "no time at all". You also need to buy runes, sigils and exotic weapons. I just wish there was more than one karma grinding spot than cursed shores. I don't mind grinding if I can have a change of scenery from time to time. And don't say go to lower lvl zone as they will be less gold and karma for your time. They also just nerfed gold makingv in Orr with yesterdays patch (addition of craptastic loot dropping champion mobs).

you can easily get 75% more karma for every jug you use.. I'm level 64 now on my mesmer and have almost 200k karma

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

should I tell you even before the jugs was on the game I bought 16 pieces of gear so I would mystic forge then to get a item I could sell or salvage?

best way to make gold is dungeons runs and hope for a precursor drop, if not dungeons, farms in high land, selling resources, selling rare skins(one time I sold a pretty rare exotic because of his skin a large scimitar make 4 g only from it) I do most of my gold in W3 events, but since I spend then in repairs and siege weapons plus upgrades I never save much.

people say they can farm over 10g a hour doing dungeons, so try that

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Citadel of flame dungeon farming is currently the most popular. Up to 2 gold in 30 minutes.

Orr farming for events and make sure you have high magic find if you want good profit there. Dungeons don't require magic find.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I think some play the market....which is about as fun as going to the dentist. Farming gold in Orr is very slow going even with max magic find. Ive seen people claim they make 4 g an hour in Orr. I pull in maybe 1g an hr there. I think dungeons may be the most profitable. Ive never played an mmo that was this difficult to make cash. Ive accepted the fact that I will be eternally poor in this game.

From everything I've read, it seems magic find on gear is worthless, but food buffs like Omnomberries are the way to go.

When I came back from my break, I decided to not seriously craft on any of my characters, so I emptied my deposit vault and sold everything, and kept selling what I found. I initially had about 11g from the sales, and was able to make 1-2g per night selling while leveling my elementalist. I'd salvage everything, except for gear that sold very well, and then would sell the craftables. I've been able to stay well stocked with gold, even though I am buying my gear as I level, and of course having to buy the books at 40 and 60. I then caught the crafting bug again, so I am not making a ton of money at the moment.

I've been able to flip a few items on the AH, but that can be risky, and it's harder to find items where there's only a few and in are high demand.

I honestly can't think of a recent mmo you could get max gear faster than gw2.. I see many complaints its to easy

Originally posted by Kaneth

I think some play the market....which is about as fun as going to the dentist. Farming gold in Orr is very slow going even with max magic find. Ive seen people claim they make 4 g an hour in Orr. I pull in maybe 1g an hr there. I think dungeons may be the most profitable. Ive never played an mmo that was this difficult to make cash. Ive accepted the fact that I will be eternally poor in this game.

From everything I've read, it seems magic find on gear is worthless, but food buffs like Omnomberries are the way to go.

When I came back from my break, I decided to not seriously craft on any of my characters, so I emptied my deposit vault and sold everything, and kept selling what I found. I initially had about 11g from the sales, and was able to make 1-2g per night selling while leveling my elementalist. I'd salvage everything, except for gear that sold very well, and then would sell the craftables. I've been able to stay well stocked with gold, even though I am buying my gear as I level, and of course having to buy the books at 40 and 60. I then caught the crafting bug again, so I am not making a ton of money at the moment.

I've been able to flip a few items on the AH, but that can be risky, and it's harder to find items where there's only a few and in are high demand.

explorer gear does help for sure but omnom is essential IMHO if you are going for drops

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

It's funny you brought up karma, which has been considered the most expendable currency in the game.  The most common problem with karma is most players can't find anything useful to buy with it; and they just have so darn much of it.  

But before your comment, the conversation was about gold and how you can gear yourself up in no time at all just by buying exotics, which is completely true.  Exotic pieces with the stats you want go for only a couple gold each.  Useful runes go for silver.  It's not beyond the realm of possibility to get a very good set of gear for 15 gold.  It may not be your ultimate final set, but that would be ridiculous if it was.  

As for acquiring 15 gold, there are so few natural gold sinks at end game (which is part of the reason you see TP numbers going up and up--the total player gold pool keeps going up and up) that you basically save everything you find.  If you just play the game moderately for 2 weeks doing anything, you'll pretty much end up with 15 gold.  

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I'm just a small time bmt and daily if I don't make 20g I feel a little let down

Takes about 30 mins a day to do and roughly this week I've so far hit 100g

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

re: 4g an hour in Orr

Any rare will sell for around 35s on the TP. Blues will get you about 1s, greens 2s, though it's worthwhile to feed them into the mystic forge to try for rares IMO. Hit up any node you see and sell what you harvest. Most t6 fine mats sell for 20s. Ori ore is 3s. t5 seem to vary a bit more, but 5-10s is about average?

With all that in mind, 4g doesn't seem outrageous.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

as per anti-farming, anti-casual update, only way to make money is buy gems!

even before the last update this game was drop greedy, not it became just not fun anymore.
    in a good news: you don't even need money as you have no goals, and basic exotics you can buy with karma or from WvW tokens.
    also for doing nothings you don't even need exotics either.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

as per anti-farming, anti-casual update, only way to make money is buy gems!

even before the last update this game was drop greedy, not it became just not fun anymore.
    in a good news: you don't even need money as you have no goals, and basic exotics you can buy with karma or from WvW tokens.
    also for doing nothings you don't even need exotics either.

?  I'm fairly casual, and I'm up to 180 gold so far, without ever selling any of my precious, precious crafting materials.  (I realize I'd be a lot richer if I'd actually stop wasting my time crafting and sell all of them)

There's lots of easy ways to make gold, ESPECIALLY if you're a casual, because you won't hit any DR, and you can get the bonus stuff you get per day.  Run a few dungeon paths for their once per day bonus  Run fractals for the once per day bonus.  Each meta event chest can only be opened once per day per character now, but their drop rate is insanely better than it used to be (This is better for casuals, rather than hardcore people).

As you so kindly pointed out, there's very little need for gold, so gold is more valuable than people are giving it credit for.  I think part of the problem is that people are conflating the gold in GW2 with the value of gold in other games, where you need insane gold value to gear up.

In GW2, you could be trotting aroun din full exotics for less than 10 gold, within a week of casual (Though fairly specific) playing as a level 80 (A couple hours of dungeon running a day is all you need, and that'd give you your 10 gold as well as the tokens for the armor.  There are alternative methods, but that's what I use, so am most familiar with.  I'm not too fond of grinding in any game, but I have friends who grind the 3 level 80 zones, and some who played the trading post)

The value of gold is in what it buys, not in what it buys you in other games.

All the truly expensive things in GW2 are either very small tweaks to a build, or vanity things.

If a person is buying gems to get money, I don't see how that person can play ANY MMO without quitting in frustration.  So far as value per gold goes, GW2 has some of the most valuable gold around.  .... and 'I got 10 gold in this other game faster' is completely irrelevant, it's what the gold can actually buy you.

I realize I hvaen't posted in forever, but that's because I took my time I spent posting on forums and switched it to time playing on GW2.  :D  Just on because waiting for a friend to drive over here, so figured I'd rather quit a post halfway through, rather than quit a dungeon halfway through.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I guess I should actually answer the question flat out, how do I make money in this game.

First of all, I do my dailies every day.  They're relatively easy, and take very little time.  This currently pays out in 3 currencies, one tradeable item, and experience.

You get a jug worth 4500 karma.  With modifiers, you can push it up to 7875 (8550 with a karma boosting infused neckpiece, but I would consider this to be overkill and a waste of an ascended neckpiece).  I let these jugs and any other karma giving items stack up until I can get all the modifiers together at the same time.

You get silver (Not much), 5 silver on a level 80 (This about covers the travel costs for running around to do the daily as quickly as possible.)

You get xp (Which isn't a big deal)

You get a mystic coin (You can sell this!  Or keep it.)

You get a laurel. With 30 laurels (1 per day, 10 per monthly) you can get a best in game neck slot item.  With 35 you can get a best in game ring (Though I'd consider this a waste).  So in just 20 days, you can get the best neckpiece there is, flat out, through dailies.

Secondly, I do fractals once every day.  Once you hit level 10, this starts getting pretty profitable.  You'll get at least a couple yellows a run, and those can be sold or turned into ectos and then sold.  Not only that, every 10th day, you'll get enough pristine fractals currency that you can get an ascended ring.  There's also a chance every day to just randomly get an ascended ring (I've been using that to outfit my alts where the stats match).  Between dailies and fractals, you'll have 3 of your slots using best in game equipment, within 20 days of fairly casual minimal play.

I guess I should point out at this point in time that while these aren't paying super heavily in gold, they're letting you gear up sans gold, which makes every gold you DO get, pure profit.  This brings me to the third, which is running dungeons.  I usually only get to do a little, unless it's my off day.  Still, 3 paths per day can get you about 190-200 tokens.  If you have THIS much spare time (You might not), between that and fractals and dailies, you can put exotics on every armor slot and both weapon sets, within a 10 day time frame.  So if you do it half the time, it'll take you 20 days.  You're now completely geared (Except for your accessories and backpiece) in exotics and ascended, having spent about 3-4 hours a day, without spending a single gold.  Each dungeon run also netted you about 80 silver (If you're using gold-boosting food like omnomberry bars), so that's 24 gold JUST from pure money drops.  This assumes you never sell a thing, because you're some sort of insane pack rat)

Selling all the things you gathered, and all the various drops, should boost you up several more gold. Any spare time you might have in between dungeon runs can be used to run a meta-event or two, which is a guaranteed yellow (At least 40 silver or so), and enough blues/greens to cover round trip travel costs anywhere in the game.  If you get a named exotic (I've gotten several), that's a few gold right there.  If you get a precursor (Because you're lucky), that's anywhere from 60 gold to several hundred.

Teleporting for free to Lion's Arch and using it as a hub saves money on travel costs.  Gearing up through alternative methods saves money.  Not crafting and selling materials saves/makes money.  Efficient usage of boosters (Saving up large piles of karma jugs, using all at once, buying relatively cheap money-boosting food for dungeon runs, using magic find while farming) increases your money for a minimal investment.

Saving money is, in a way, making money. :V  It's an art many people don't explore sufficiently.

Broken up in a lot of random colors so it's not a huge blurry mass of text, and because it's different color per advice.

I forgot to mention karma can be traded for money making things (More or less) through Orr now, which means the 30 karma jugs (And about 60 karma potions you pick up from the dungeons) can be converted to money as well, though not sure exactly how efficient that is because I save my karma like a packrat. :D

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Meowhead

I guess I should actually answer the question flat out, how do I make money in this game.

First of all, I do my dailies every day.  They're relatively easy, and take very little time.  This currently pays out in 3 currencies, one tradeable item, and experience.

You get a jug worth 4500 karma.  With modifiers, you can push it up to 7875 (8550 with a karma boosting infused neckpiece, but I would consider this to be overkill and a waste of an ascended neckpiece).  I let these jugs and any other karma giving items stack up until I can get all the modifiers together at the same time.

You get silver (Not much), 5 silver on a level 80 (This about covers the travel costs for running around to do the daily as quickly as possible.)

You get xp (Which isn't a big deal)

You get a mystic coin (You can sell this!  Or keep it.)

You get a laurel. With 30 laurels (1 per day, 10 per monthly) you can get a best in game neck slot item.  With 35 you can get a best in game ring (Though I'd consider this a waste).  So in just 20 days, you can get the best neckpiece there is, flat out, through dailies.

Secondly, I do fractals once every day.  Once you hit level 10, this starts getting pretty profitable.  You'll get at least a couple yellows a run, and those can be sold or turned into ectos and then sold.  Not only that, every 10th day, you'll get enough pristine fractals currency that you can get an ascended ring.  There's also a chance every day to just randomly get an ascended ring (I've been using that to outfit my alts where the stats match).  Between dailies and fractals, you'll have 3 of your slots using best in game equipment, within 20 days of fairly casual minimal play.

I guess I should point out at this point in time that while these aren't paying super heavily in gold, they're letting you gear up sans gold, which makes every gold you DO get, pure profit.  This brings me to the third, which is running dungeons.  I usually only get to do a little, unless it's my off day.  Still, 3 paths per day can get you about 190-200 tokens.  If you have THIS much spare time (You might not), between that and fractals and dailies, you can put exotics on every armor slot and both weapon sets, within a 10 day time frame.  So if you do it half the time, it'll take you 20 days.  You're now completely geared (Except for your accessories and backpiece) in exotics and ascended, having spent about 3-4 hours a day, without spending a single gold.  Each dungeon run also netted you about 80 silver (If you're using gold-boosting food like omnomberry bars), so that's 24 gold JUST from pure money drops.  This assumes you never sell a thing, because you're some sort of insane pack rat)

Selling all the things you gathered, and all the various drops, should boost you up several more gold. Any spare time you might have in between dungeon runs can be used to run a meta-event or two, which is a guaranteed yellow (At least 40 silver or so), and enough blues/greens to cover round trip travel costs anywhere in the game.  If you get a named exotic (I've gotten several), that's a few gold right there.  If you get a precursor (Because you're lucky), that's anywhere from 60 gold to several hundred.

Teleporting for free to Lion's Arch and using it as a hub saves money on travel costs.  Gearing up through alternative methods saves money.  Not crafting and selling materials saves/makes money.  Efficient usage of boosters (Saving up large piles of karma jugs, using all at once, buying relatively cheap money-boosting food for dungeon runs, using magic find while farming) increases your money for a minimal investment.

Saving money is, in a way, making money. :V  It's an art many people don't explore sufficiently.

Broken up in a lot of random colors so it's not a huge blurry mass of text, and because it's different color per advice.

I forgot to mention karma can be traded for money making things (More or less) through Orr now, which means the 30 karma jugs (And about 60 karma potions you pick up from the dungeons) can be converted to money as well, though not sure exactly how efficient that is because I save my karma like a packrat. :D

Gonna vote for you for president in 2016....

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Playing the TP is the most lucrative and quickest way as all others are not even close.  Its my main gripe with the game.  I wish actually playing the game and getting lucky on drops was more easier but alas the DR system puts a damper on any sort of grinding.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!