Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: A Chaotic Game With Epic Surprises

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Camelot Unchained developer blog has appeared on the official site. The post centers around the notion that players should come back to play a game because it's fun an challenging. To that end, Jacobs opines that the game should deliver surprises.

Now, what does that mean for you as the player? Injecting randomness into games very often meets an ill-fated reception from a vocal portion of the player base.  While many players do want to embrace a bit randomness here and there (usually when it benefits them), when the die roll goes against them, well, a lot of scream of outrage can ensue such as the ever-popular “Your randomizer is broken!”  One could easily paraphrase Benjamin Franklin’s line in the film 1776 (sadly, it wasn’t a real quote) to say that “Randomness is always good when it works to our advantage, it’s only when it works against us should it be made illegal.” Over the years, my feelings about randomness in games have careened wildly along the track.  As one might imagine, I currently believe that as we have made MMORPGs more and more handholding and predictable, we have lost much of both the joys and sorrows of having something really random happen to players whether it is during the course of a pitched battle or simply when just walking down a road.

Read more on the Camelot Unchained site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    omg stop this. Nothing is epic about this game. ITS NOT EVEN MADE ON PAPER!
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by exile01

unless I don't see a minute long gameplay video I'd classify it vaporware stage

Star Citizen showed gameplay, Kickstarter projects need a working prototype. Will we see that for CU?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Personally I expect this game to just end up as another generic wow clone like most mmo's sadly end up as.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Personally I expect this game to just end up as another generic wow clone like most mmo's sadly end up as.

Yeah considering how great Warhammer was supposed to be its a little hard to get excited this time around.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Yeah considering how great Warhammer was supposed to be its a little hard to get excited this time around.

Not really I have feeling they are just gonna make a dark age of camelot with modern graphics which imo if it daoc classic style this will be the mmo i played till it dies like i did doac.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Based on everything said this game is a hybrid of 3 games. Daoc (3realm), Shadowbane (pretty much all pvp with no pve and abaility to build your own siegable keep), and SWG (crafting). If it all comes to fruition as described, it will be my favorite mmo. However keep in mind there is still a chance that this game won't even be made. It hasn't started being made either. It isn't even on KS yet so I have hopes but people need to be realistic about it as well. At least until after kickstarter gets posted and its goal met.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    It's so Epic that it is deemed Epic before it even has Epic funding and has been created all Epically.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

Hype for hypes sake I do hope it turns out but vaperware atm.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

I love trolls who call games wow clones. Especially when wow is a eq clone, a daoc clone and many others

I see this game working so long as it does 2 big things. 1 Free to play, if it goes pay to play it wont be that big of a game aside from the people who kickstart t and most of them wont sub for it. Its okay to make the game a buy to play game but expecting a subscription for a game these days is just killing your game before it begins.  You stand more of a chance at making money doing it the advertisement styles of anarchy online f2p or the tera f2p style and let everyone play the games content and add in cosmetics , mini pets, and boosts for those who want to sub or a item mall. You can and will make money that way.  Secret World and GW2 are going great. More games should follow that business style. 

2, Be true and be loyal. What I mean is stick to closely to DAOC as you can but do your best to modernise the game. The people who will be interested in playing this game will be those who played daoc, shadowbane, and warhammer online. 

If I could add anything else I would say that developers need to learn that people hate getting their classes nerfed. So instead of nerfing something someone might find op, buff everything else. 

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

I for one am sick of this game already so much hype for a game that is not a DAoC REMAKE OF ANY KIND. They have said them selfs  there will be 0 PVE it will be a pure arena game nothing more.  You fight for passing towers around likly for a big keep in the middle of the map that gives buffs.

I played DAoC from release till TOA  PVE was the blood of DAoC RVR was just the blood pump.

Without the PVE with darkness falls and atleast taking 2 or 3 mouths to hit max lvl with people all over in every PVE realm it will be trash.

Sure it will be fun for 2 weeks then it will be this is getting old lets go PVE O WE CAN'T WTF I QUIT THIS STUPID CRAP.

DAoC we had 3 PVE realms mid alb and hib all with there own class's and there own realm 1-50 that looked nothing a like.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I agree, if this is only a copy of DAOC RvR with improved graphics, ui, etc. I'll never stop playing it.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I think the game could have any number of pay models and be a success, because it doesn't sound like its going to bury itself so far into debt that the game needs to have '500k' subs to be profitable.

It will be made or not made based on the interest potential players have in it.

As for the whole of randomness thing, its not a bad thought.  I don't know about that botch idea though. If its really random then it might be rare for one person, but happen all the time to another.  How will that mage feel turning into a frog over and over because he's "unluckly".

• ssinss06ssinss06 Member Posts: 2
    DAoC was not the first game like that Mark Jacobs was involved with. That said, I believe with his experience and team, they might just have the right ideas, like them all or not.  A lot of the statements I have read about this game have already been tested in different fashion and worked well, very well.
  • CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

Being able to level in RvR via the battle grounds is one of the best addtions to modern DaoC.

I like PvE... but I like PvP, and RvR Much more.

It's probably my most favorite upgrade to the game overall, with the exception of addtional classes, and some of the boosts to exsisting classes.

I realize everyone has their opinion, and we should share them to consider their merit.

However, The fact that Mark has such a strong vision, and he's sticking to it gives me hope that the game will turn out well, and be fun, because it reminds me of how I would run my own studio, and game development.

Yeah, Maybe the game might not be exactly what I want in every respect, and it won't be yours either, but it's going to be something fun, and I can see myself playing it for years.

For those of you who are comapiring it to WH, keep in mind that Mark wasn't calling all the shots. It wasn't really his baby alone, but rather a bastard child of many difrent parents. It's unfair to place the blame at his feet when he was fighting tooth and nail to change it. Also consider that one of the sperm donors was EA... need i say more?

CU is not going to be for the carebears. Sorry guys, sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles, and if it's any consolation to you, there are many more PvE centered titles available to you then there are PvP centered titles for us. So please don't whine, I don't have enough cheese for it.

CU, is not and will not be Vaporware. That's my prediction.

B.T.W. I had no problem with the RGN in DaoC. I knew alot of whiners who did.

If I got a bad roll, well I took my medicine. If I got a good roll.... YEAH!

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    when you hear a lot of words dont believe anything

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by exile01

hahahah true

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

I love trolls who call games wow clones. Especially when wow is a eq clone, a daoc clone and many others

I love trolls who invented the term "clone" to put theyr favourite mmo's in a "higuer" standing when there isnt really a clone of anything, just games with similar mechanics, what Ego does...

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Well, they are certainly good at talking a good game, only time will tell if they can actually produce a good game.

I have to say though, with all the hype being produced right now, whatever they do, they will not live up to it.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

I have to say though, with all the hype being produced right now, whatever they do, they will not live up to it.

He cranks out a blog post now and then.

The fans do everything from that point on. Both the "omg DAoC!!one1!!!" drooling, and the "omg stop hyping so much" both only increase the hype level.

Forunately, it cannot humanly be maintained at its original (overkill) level for the entire development cycle of an MMO. Natural gamer cycnicism steps in and all but the Faithful say "Wait a minute...isn't this still in the talktalk stage?"

The Duke Nukem Effect, inevitably, kicks in.

^^^^ mmorpg.com staff please take note.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• prognarprognar Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

I love trolls who invented the term "clone" to put theyr favourite mmo's in a "higuer" standing when there isnt really a clone of anything, just games with similar mechanics, what Ego does...

datdreamerxx isn't wrong, wow copied concepts that were well in place in other games long before wow ever released.

DaoC for instace released in 2001 with BGS, not tacked on as an after thought(heres talking to you wow), wow added BG's too the game 2 -3 months after its final release (may have even been longer it was ages ago), it was and still is a horrible implimentation of the concept, and it had no point on its release and still has little point now.

EQ is the grandady of  3d mmorpgs in the english market, and yes wow took a lot of their concepts, but so have pretty much all mmos of the genre sinse, its a template game much like wolf 3d is for FPS, and chat room muds were the non visual pre-cursors of the 3d mmorpgs.

Whats sad is all the people, who think wow,  is orignal and that other people are the ones who made their games based on their concepts, when wow, was made as the NANY mmorpg, for the people who cant handle massive exp grinds, who cant handle exp loss or even losing levels when they die, who cant handle running serveral zones, to get to their corpse, who can't handle not being able solo an entire game, (from memory if you couldnt get back to your corpse in EQ you lost whatever gear was on it too), and generally couldnt handle playing a game with real and hard repicusions that make you think twice before doing something.

But in saying that, it opened up the MMORPG market to the carebears, which is massive compared to your hardcore gamers, so obviously the game did well.  It appealed to a different type of gamer and reaped the rewards. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

LOL really? a game thats not going to have PVE as far as we know, realm v realm pvp and so on becoming a wow clone haha ok.

Anyway every new blog from this guy makes me want the game now.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by zephermarkus

Not really I have feeling they are just gonna make a dark age of camelot with modern graphics which imo if it daoc classic style this will be the mmo i played till it dies like i did doac.

How in heavens name can it be a DaoC with modern graphics when its missing half the original game (pve).

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Thanks I needed a laugh. The game they are ripping from was before WoW. Also people keep using this term WoW clone, but WoW was a clone of EQ1 and EQ1 was a clone of another game. Its a rare thing when something is really unique and when something unique comes along we MMOers yell its wrong for trying to be so different lol. Pls think before you post.

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by banshe13

I for one am sick of this game already so much hype for a game that is not a DAoC REMAKE OF ANY KIND. They have said them selfs  there will be 0 PVE it will be a pure arena game nothing more.  You fight for passing towers around likly for a big keep in the middle of the map that gives buffs.

I played DAoC from release till TOA  PVE was the blood of DAoC RVR was just the blood pump.

Without the PVE with darkness falls and atleast taking 2 or 3 mouths to hit max lvl with people all over in every PVE realm it will be trash.

Sure it will be fun for 2 weeks then it will be this is getting old lets go PVE O WE CAN'T WTF I QUIT THIS STUPID CRAP.

DAoC we had 3 PVE realms mid alb and hib all with there own class's and there own realm 1-50 that looked nothing a like.

Umm, its not and never has been said that it is a pure arena game.  Its open world.  People only Pve because they had to, removing that and making it avalible in rvr/pvp is what the holy grail of pvp game what people want from the start.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well I am not a great Mark Jacob fan, but if you think about it, Warhammer was greatly constrained by the ruleset that GamesWorkshop insisted on.  You really cannot blame Mark for that mess all that much.  DAoC, pre-Trials of Atlantis, was a darn good MMO.   If they can capture something on the order of magnitude of DAoC, this game has a great chance.  It does not come off as a wow clone to me at all.  Should not to you either if you actually took the time to read about it.

I don't think you need a working game to do a kickstarter either.  A lot of the kickstarter games are concept only.