Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

making the same mistake a swtor

muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

anyone else feel as if ESO took out all the gameplay elements that made it popular and then went the SWTOR route of copying WOWs gameplay and throwing an elder scrolls IP on top?  I hope im wrong :(

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Not sure man but I heard they changed the recipe for lucky charms.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Not sure man but I heard they changed the recipe for lucky charms.

not sure why but this made me laugh really hard

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I don't think we've seen enough of this game yet to start making those kinds of decisions.

Honestly, it would be difficult to top the SWTOR fiasco.  SWTOR failed in so many angles that it still blows my mind to this day just how bad it is from the moment you start making a character to the moment you reach lvl 50.

This is one of those games I have unrealistically high hopes for.

I really hope that it's basically Skyrim that I can play with my friends.. as in exploration in huge open maps will be a lot of fun with random encounters.  This high hope, however, is tempered by the fact that RvR could crush that dream if implemented poorly.  I would hate to be forced to make three different characters just to explore the entire map.

• It sounds like the game is structured quite differently from WoW. Combat and character development is also different, as are dungeons. Where do you feel TESO is going to be a lot like WoW?
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Gameplay wise this looks nothing like WoW, but quite similar to many other current MMOs. The problem might be that this will be nothing like TES, just like TOR failed to achieve a good SW atmosphere. It's too early to tell for sure, though.
  • walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58

I think that SWToR failed, because it was badly executed. Not enough content, bad endgame, laughable space combat. Plastic graphics. And booring as hell.

Moreover ... TESO doesn't look like wow at all. Combat mechanics are different, PvP mechanics are different, Class system a progression is different. It looks more like GW2 than wow. It is themepark, but i think there won't be more similarities.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I dont think TESO will look anything like GW2.  GW2 has small avatars that have that artistically drawn feel.  I think both games have been able to distinguish themselves apart from not only each other, but the rest of the mmo gaming world.  Naturally, creating an MMO, there will be content implemented that will mirror certain aspects of other games out there. But that, im sure is intended. 

It is important for game developers to decide which content will fit into their MMO, even if it is not the most original idea.  That is why player feedback is so important. Naturally, there will be naysayers in the bunch, but game developers need to have thick skin to be able to distinguish between people trolling and devoted veteran gamers making valid negative arguements. 

Look at The Secret World.  They created a very unique game and implemented some really unique features into their MMO, such as a present day virtual world with real world avatars.  But not all gamers want to play an MMO that veers so far from the path of the normal high fantasy MMOs we are all used to. That is why i beleive The Secret World has become a niche game. I played TSW for a few months, but I stopped playing the game one day for reasons I still cannot understand, and I have not gone back since.  I remember liking the game alot when I was playing, but I just cant get myself to turn it back on. 

I also started playing Guild Wars 2 at release, and played the game exclusively up until about 2 weeks ago.  I loved the aspect of exploration, jumping puzzles and acheivements.  But as i found myself finishing the exploration content of the game, finding and completing all the jumping  puzzles and doing all the quests, I got bored.  I have to say that the game has tons of content.  But I just don't enjoy the other endgame myself. So, i stopped playing that game. 

It's not easy to please the masses. Not everybody likes the same gaming content. What is good for some, is boring to others.  The last time I enjoyed pvp gameplay was DAOC.  And only because I played a stealther.  That is probably why many developers create Themepark games.  That way, if they throw enough gaming content to satisfy all gaming styles, it will attract enough subscriptions to keep the game going for a long time. Personally, I would hate to have to try and keep so many gamers happy.  But the gaming company who is able to pull this off, will be very successful.