Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True ES First Person

13»

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek  Lol... TES is a sandbox? Really...? Wow...

Thats the thing, single player sand box games aren't even close to the same as what people mean when they say sandbox in mmo's

The biggest sandbox single player games games are tes (quest based, linear story) and gta (quest based, linear story and areas of the map are locked dependent on quest progression) and both those would be classed as themepark if they were directly converted to a mmo

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek 

Lol... TES is a sandbox? Really...? Wow...

Thats the thing, single player sand box games aren't even close to the same as what people mean when they say sandbox in mmo's

The biggest sandbox single player games games are tes (quest based, linear story) and gta (quest based, linear story and areas of the map are locked dependent on quest progression) and both those would be classed as themepark if they were directly converted to a mmo

Well i believe you are onto something there. I think that there could be pretty damn close experience as in SP TES game. But there are limitations to be considered which will change this game. TES is pretty close to sandbox MMO and if i can remember, Oblivion was called offline MMO even by people who never played sandbox MMO. There are no quests and set stroryline in sandbox MMO. 

I still think that most people bitching about this game are either angry that there will be TES MMO by general or they have big round objects up their asses.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by walltar

Well i believe you are onto something there. I think that there could be pretty damn close experience as in SP TES game. But there are limitations to be considered which will change this game. TES is pretty close to sandbox MMO and if i can remember, Oblivion was called offline MMO even by people who never played sandbox MMO. There are no quests and set stroryline in sandbox MMO. 

I still think that most people bitching about this game are either angry that there will be TES MMO by general or they have big round objects up their asses.

No I think people are upset because they wanted TESO to be like Skyrim and Oblivion, not like World of Warcraft.  Personally I can save myself 60 bucks and keep my Sub to WoW to enjoy linear, limited first person combat with all efforts put into 3rd person.  Anotherwards, nothing new to see here, been there done that not interested.  Ask yourself why is 3rd person all you see in an mmorpg? PVP cry babies is your answer.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

All of you "realism" freaks grossly underestimate peripheral vision.  Take a box, cut off only one side, and put it over your head.  That's first person view.

Third person view is much more realistic.  If you slightly turn your head, you can see behind you with peripheral vision.

In any case, I saw first person video game fight with swords, and it was ridiculous.  Even though there were a lot of people, it was basically one on one fightting because they were close together, but couldn't see each other well enough to react to someone they weren't fighting.  If they turned slightly to face their opponent, people to the side of them were completely out of view.  At the end, there were two fighters left standing right next to each other, and it took them of couple of seconds of turning in place to see each other.  Lol realism my ass.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159
    Originally posted by love-da-bush

You could play in "first person" in vanilla WoW, you just couldn't see your hands.... is there a difference here?

Feels like they are putting first person there just for RP purpose or to add one more feature to "please" the fans.

In a pvp enviroment, third person is too superior to first person, so it makes no sense to expect players to keep their view hindered just for the sake of realism. I fear this is one of those features you can't really implement in a MMO.

Speaking of which: I'm really looking forward to try the slow-motion from zooming with bow, I'm wandering about how they overcome the fluctuations in the time continuum allowing multiple players to alter the speed of time, at the same time! Maybe even while aiming at each other! *insert smiley here*

"please the fans"?

Oh why should they bother? It's not like they picked up a well established franchise and name for their game that will make them a guaranteed sell is there? They could just as well make a Car Racing Game in Space, no? Oh wait.. they ARE banking on a well established franchise and name...

A franchise and name, who has been a flagbearer for the genre since its gamer birth in 92...

imageThe last of the Trackers

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Am I the only person who played oblivion and skyrim in 3rd person?

People act like it is a stain on the ES philosophy, where I felt like it was just one of many options. 

It just seems really strange that animated hands with items in it would be such a big deal.....they were a lot of the reason I didn't play in 1st person to be honest.

Just seems like a bunch of folks saying 'the way we players played other ES games" as if there was a code of conduct on how I was suppose to play other ES games.

The organization in charge of enforcing this 1st person  only rule failed to email all of us who played. At least, I didn't get the memo.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
    Originally posted by walltar

No I think people are upset because they wanted TESO to be like Skyrim and Oblivion, not like World of Warcraft.  Personally I can save myself 60 bucks and keep my Sub to WoW to enjoy linear, limited first person combat with all efforts put into 3rd person.  Anotherwards, nothing new to see here, been there done that not interested.  Ask yourself why is 3rd person all you see in an mmorpg? PVP cry babies is your answer.

....or perhaps,

Some of us like to see our character as we play.

I know simple answers can be elusive sometimes.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Don't want it, don't need it.

In fact, I've played about a thousand hours of Skyrim... all in glorious third person view just the way I like it.

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Am I the only person who played oblivion and skyrim in 3rd person?

I played both those games in 3rd too ... and i don't remember oblivion od skyrim limiting 3rd person view because of realism. I understand why people wants to see hands and weapon, but seeing as this game will be MMO, eweryone (be it because pvp or because group pve) will be playing it in 3rd soon. So making animated hands is only wasting money because butthurt TES fans who "know" that TES is all about 1st person. But this game will be played by MMO crowd too and many of us dont want 1st person at all, nor we want to limit 3rd person because 1st person fanatics.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by sapphen

I think they should've designed the game for 1st person view and then made a 3rd person view.  The 3rd person view should share the same "line of sight" as FPV,  meaning you couldn't see behind you in either view ~ There would be a fog of war type thing in TPV that prevented you from seeing enemies outside the view point of a FPV player.  This sounds aweful to restrict TPV but it could've tied into the stealth system very nicely.

This is how a game with both 1st person and 3rd person should handle it.

I know right.  I played a game about a year ago that did something similar for their TPV and it worked well.  It was kind of like the 'cloud of war' with RTS.  It does help add realism and depth to a game.