Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the most popular MMORPG currently?

I've never played an MMORPG in my life and i want to try it out but there's so many of them.. I want one with alot of people active on it. So what's the biggest one? Like whats the one everyone around the world is playing? There has to be like at least a top 3 that everyones playing

I know League of Legends is huge so I'm planning to play that but any others?

Comments

• ibrahim2712ibrahim2712 Member Posts: 7

*Makes thread, no replies.*

• jordank23jordank23 Member Posts: 95
    Numbers wise WoW is still king.

Played: Shadowbane, UO, PlanetSide, SWG, EQ 2, City of Heros, AO, AoC, Daoc, WOW, lotro, Eve, GW, Tabula, Pirates of the burning sea (yup), Vanguard, Warhammer, Lineage 2

Out of all those I loved Shadow Bane, SWG (it had its issues but those first few months were great) and AO after about 5 months I was in love) RIP..not since then have I loved a MMO...

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

shear numbers from around the world is hard for me to answer, because some Asian games have millions and millions.

As far as western games, I think your safest bet for high populations would be WoW or GW2. And just saying those two games  in one thread will help you get lots of responses, I'd guess.

But honestly, it doesn't really matter.

WoW may have a high number of highly populated servers, where Rift only has a few. But since each has servers with a high population...... well you only play on one. 

So your only litmus test for having folks around is to make sure you pick a game that has at least one well populated server.

That statement will also garner some responses I'd imagine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last, I'd say you should think a little more deeply about what you want out of a game. F2P or B2P or P2P? You want tab targetting combat or real time combat? PVP or PVE?

In any case, my recommendation for a good first mmo experience with a good population would be WoW, Rift or LotRO. 

But the more I write this, I'm wondering......did I just take a huge bite of shiny food only to find a hook in my cheek?

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

World of Warcraft is the undisputed king population wise. It is also one of the better ones for someone new to MMOs. While it is pay to play it does have a free trial.

Free to play I would say Lord of the Rings Online is probably the most populated. (Especially on the Brandywine server) It too does a fairly good job at introducing a new MMO player.

Edit: Zorgo has a good point, Guild Wars 2 should be in there as well for the top 3.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    LotRO is f2p, and therefore an inexpensive way to introduce yourself into MMO world.  Brandywine is the most populated server by far.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

I can't play WoW because it costs money, but what were the Asian games you were talking about that have millions of players?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by ibrahim2712
    I can't play WoW because it costs money, but what were the Asian games you were talking about that have millions of players?

MapleStory.

Let me guess. You're going to change what you want again.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

LoL (league of legends) isnt a mmorpg , is a moba diferent genre

if u want to try mmorpgs , my vote goes to everquest 2 ,  Lotro or Aion, u can try Tera if u like action combat too.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Trying your first MMO by going for the most popular game is like buying your first song by buying Justin Bieber.

You should play what attracts you, not what the masses do, while many people play WoW, many also hate it, just check out the games and see what you like imo. You can try out WoW's free trial I think.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Dont buy into all that F2P stuff for your first MMO unless you just cant afford a monthly. Find one that you like with features you like, doesnt matter if it costs money, just that it is epic in your opinion.

There are so many to pick from. So go here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

And research them, find a genre that you like and features you like. Do not listen to fanbois or haters here for your first mmorpg, you will be sadly disappointed. Do the work and look into each one. Because usualy your first epic mmorpg ever played will be the one that you remember forever and you dont want a bad experience.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I guess some obscure Asian MMO that we here in the west never heard about.

That is if we talk numbers wise.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I've played most of the big ones, and currently I would recommend GW2 100% it's a lot of fun and won't be too hard for a newbie to get into.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Dungeon fighter online.

It doesnt mean its any good though.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I guess some obscure Asian MMO that we here in the west never heard about.

That is if we talk numbers wise.

Like that one yesterday with the HugeJugs™ ?

MMO wise, but voting "popular", you end up with the Thrill of the Moment at best. At worst, oh god, you could do so much worse.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I've never played an MMORPG in my life and i want to try it out but there's so many of them.. I want one with alot of people active on it. So what's the biggest one? Like whats the one everyone around the world is playing? There has to be like at least a top 3 that everyones playing

I know League of Legends is huge so I'm planning to play that but any others?

League of Legends is not an MMORPG.. its a MOBA.. think of it like an RTS game but you just control one unit and no base building or resouce gathering.

Most popular is still WOW in the western world thats for sure.. What are you looking to get out of an MMORPG?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    If you want a quality F2P title give AION a try. Been playing it myself for a few months recently and having a good time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Popular should never be a decision maker in games or in life.....You don't choose where to eat because McDonald's sells the most hamburgers do you?...Do your research and look for something you want to play....some of the best games I have ever played did not have alot of people but the people they had were great.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    EvE has a free 2 week trial and the people are very friendly, if you explain that you are new, many will offer to give you free stuff like canisters full of parts or ore to help you get started.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Grunty

MapleStory.

Let me guess. You're going to change what you want again.

Op should have distinguished that hes only willing to play ftp mmos

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Dungeon Fighter Online.

Followed by World of Warcraft.

But I wouldn't recommend either of them.

Dungeon Fighter is not even remotely an MMO. 

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I would suggest either Everquest 2 or LOTRO. They both have pretty good populations and are free to play.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

The reason I wanted a popular game because I wanted it to have alot of competition and be competitive. But I don't want no starcraft type stuff, i want to control a character and fight people.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    The reason I wanted a popular game because I wanted it to have alot of competition and be competitive. But I don't want no starcraft type stuff, i want to control a character and fight people.

I think the best MMO for you would be WoW, but since you want a F2P game you should tryout Lineage 2.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

You said you are not willing to pay a sub, so WoW is out of the question (even though I think that would be the best MMO for you). If you are willing to buy the game but no pay a sub, go for Guild Wars 2.

If you want completely free to play without buying the box or paying a sub go for Everquest 2 or Lord of the Rings or Aion if you want a more player vs player focused game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I noticed some of our posters mentioned Everquest2. I would recommend Everquest, not EQII. The population for Everquest is muh higher than EQII. Best servers are Fironia Vie or Vox. Vox community is off the chain :-D.

Also to note, I am a SOE station pass holder and play both EQ and EQ II. Currently EQ rocks EQII population wise.