Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS NEW TESO news is going to shock you all, literally.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by snipehack
    I truly see nothing wrong with this

You see nothing wrong with dumping tons of money into voice acting, at the detriment of the rest of the game?

How do you know they are dumping a ton of money?  You don't know shit.  You don't know their budget and you don't know how much or how little they are spending on voice acting.  Even if they spent a large portion on voice acting, the rest of the game could be amazing!  We don't know yet.

Just because EA/Mythic/Bioware used voice acting doesn't mean every other game that uses voice acting will be bad.

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

as soon as i saw full in game voice acting and morale choices. Somehow Swtor instantly pop in my head and all red flags sounded the alarm.

thats basically what this thread is about. Now im skepticle. I was goign to buy teso on launch day, but with this piece of news not anymore. i went from happy to skeptics in 1 fell swoop.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by archeageking

as soon as i saw full in game voice acting and morale choices. Somehow Swtor instantly pop in my head and all red flags sounded the alarm.

thats basically what this thread is about. Now im skepticle. I was goign to buy teso on launch day, but with this piece of news not anymore. i went from happy to skeptics in 1 fell swoop.

I'm sure it's been stated many times in this thread already, so hopefully we can let this thread die now..

The VO were not the  weakpoint of SWtOR.

VO are not a bad thing.

Now stop making this god awful thread pop up on the recent posts! Thank you - that is all.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

also i had enough of vo and cutscene, and stupid personal stories. after purchasing swtor collEctor edition for $150.

I wont be fooled again the 2nd time. 

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Really, i love this topic. It reminds me that people just want to complain and people love to judge stuff because of wrong assumtions. Not even sure why i post here, as i have no interesst in the game itself (yet) lol

Just remember: 80% of all murderers have eaten bread before the crime. So we should ban bread.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I don't see VO as a problem, I enjoyed them in The Secret World, very well done.

No the problem is that TESO will use the VO in the game to have each NPC you meet tell you the story of how he/she got an arrow to the knee!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Zaradoom

/sarcasm on

Shocking News: ESO will have pvp!

The game could sooo rock, if they did not waste money on pvp!

/sarcasm off

Seriously, guys. Stop thinking VO are expensive enough to stop anything else from being done. Unless they plan on recruiting some A promis for like 10.000 / hour i am sure the coffee during develeopment will be more expensive.

Hey! The CareBears of the world agree with you!... ^^  I've lost count of the number of games, that have been ruined because of pandering to the PvP crowd.  The Dev's spent so much time/talent/effort "balancing" PvP, that they end up hammering the hell out of the PvE side of the game.

As for VO, thats just ONE element of the complex 3D puzzle that is the typical MMO game.  Even the best VO in the world wouldn't save a game, that messes up too many of the other elements.  Like wise, good VO, isn't going to damage an other wise good game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by achesoma
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

Yeah for people who can't wait 30 seconds for a cutscene it must be some real ADD trouble... Better harvest the quests, skip all the cutscenes and VOs and just rush to the end game ... where nothing really is waiting for you but dumb raiding or PvP. I guess its lose lose scenario.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Don't know about anyone else, but I didn't LITERALLY get shocked, no electricity shot out of my computer, thankfully, I was scared to open this thread for the last week, cause I thought I was LITERALLY going to get shocked

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by Robokapp

I just wanted to adress this part. I'm not ignoring it. Since we both agree on its positives, there's no need for it to be mentioned and debated. The discussion occurs when people dissagree on something.  

yes, VO's would be great on their own. The conequences of their development might be outweighting their benefits, however.

the MMO market was born, grew, peaked and began shrinking again without VOs. There's no indication that VOs can affect this curve. They're too big to be cheaply made, yet too small to single-handedly save a title or create a great mmo. SWTOR prooved both of these points.  

if EXTRA finances go into VOs, it's all good. if they are payed for at expense of other things...problem.

Every game genre was borne and grew and shrunk as text based before full vo came along, and there were big disasters before vo fully took off big companies went belly up and the games industry was in big trouble just before the first playstation came along

There is no evidence that VO's cost THAT much extra unless your going for big names, SWTOR doesn't prove its expensive at all, SWTOR had a massive budget but they had a massive team, started a whole new studio and had more VO than in every bioware game before combined and are even world record holders for the largest VO project in history.

There are no consequences to their addition, the same team that has been working on the game for the past 5/6 years will still be working on the game while they record vo.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

"There is no evidence that VO's cost THAT much extra unless your going for big names,"

Just think about it. Its not like the devs call down to the actors union to send up a few VO actors, who then stand in front of mics and read a few lines.

There are tons of people in the background. You've got script writers, editors, audio people, programers, voice coaches, etc. Even if the VO itself doesn't cost a ton, you start adding it all up and its expensive.

I am not trying to suggest it takes half the budget or something. Only that, including Full VO in an mmo has an impact on the cost of the game.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

"There is no evidence that VO's cost THAT much extra unless your going for big names,"

Just think about it. Its not like the devs call down to the actors union to send up a few VO actors, who then stand in front of mics and read a few lines.

There are tons of people in the background. You've got script writers, editors, audio people, programers, voice coaches, etc. Even if the VO itself doesn't cost a ton, you start adding it all up and its expensive.

I am not trying to suggest it takes half the budget or something. Only that, including Full VO in an mmo has an impact on the cost of the game.

I agree, the big problem is the TIME it takes to do all the voice acting and get it into the game.  It slows down content addition by a lot and overall development too.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I have a hard time playing MMO's that don't have VO's after SWTOR and TSW. In my opinion TSW got the voiceover thing very right. 
  • BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I fail to see the problem here. Long gone are the days that MMOs should have text that you spend reading all the time. The more immersive, the better the game. We've advanced, so our games must reflect this. This isn't bad news, just a bit mediocre, considering it's actually an expectation of most big games these days.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

Skyrim has the best experience in TES games i have ever had and its fully voiced. I wouldnt bother with TESO if i had to read everything in a text box after experiencing Skyrim unless its a free game. Being fully voiced doesnt mean it will be a bad game. SWTOR wasted too much money on expensive famous voice actors and didnt focus on the game itself. Maybe Zenimax will use the same voice actors from SKyrim? who knows, but it is great news. It sounds closer to my Skyrim experience already and thats what i would pay for in a new Elder Scrolls game.

The only way they would ruin it with voice over is if they go the Swtor route by ignoring the entire game and investing everything in expensive voice overs. Im sure that isnt the case here.

EDIT: just because one company did it wrong doesnt mean everyone else will.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

VO's in TESO just makes me want to play it more. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they would have them.

Awesome news!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

read the title and was like "haha. teso won't electrocute me! ... riht?"

slightly related i have come up with a new death penalty.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    It would not be up to elder scrolls standards if every npc in the game didnt have voice over.  OP have you even played any of the games?
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Voiceovers had nothing to do with swtor not catching on. It was that there was so much empty space in the beginning combined with lackluster gameplay. It's hard to play SWTOR and think of your favorite scenes in the movies because rarely in the movies is someone standing and taunting darth vader while another guy heals him and someone shoots from the shadows . 
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im more of a "meh"

than shocked.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This thread is still going? The OP is an obvious troll.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What is wrong with voice overs,is this a sarcastic statement?

The only drawback to them is if you lose that voice,then that character has to leave the game or find another voice,then it sounds wrong.So keeping the identity of a character in game would be the only draw back.I love voice overs but i also like an accompanying cut scene,yes i just like any kind of added effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BroshiBroshi Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by wordiz

Considering the last few games in the series, especially Skyrim, were voiced over...not a big surprise. And no, I was not literally shocked. That would hurt.

Edit: Honestly I'd be worried if I heard there weren't voice overs.

I'm with you. Fully voiced npcs has become an integral part of the ES games and imo does wonders for immersion into that world. They could use a more varied pool of voices for their characters but all in all the VO has always been a plus for me.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

me too.

Full voice overs was not the fall of SWTOR, your point is invalid.

the fall of SWTOR was not the story telling ether.

but it was the lack luster combat, skills, and content outside of the main story.

treating SWTOR as a single player game it's a good game, as a mmo is fails is so many ways.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    #&%$%!! necros

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

This discussion has been closed.