Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Faction Lock, or Not...

1235»

Comments

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Deja vu.

Could of sworn we had a faction lock post yesterday, and the day before, and the day before  that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that.

Nah,  I don't think there is enough of them.  Keep it up yalls, I'm sure the developers will be reading and listening intently through every Faction thread :)

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    [mod edit]

Pot kettle black.

By your logic Redguard isn't a Elder Scrolls game as it's a linear Tomb Raider style game.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by immodium

[mod edit]

Pot kettle black.

By your logic Redguard isn't a Elder Scrolls game as it's a linear Tomb Raider style game.

Redguard is an ES game technically, but its a really bad off-shoot of the series.

Mainly because it strayed too far from the traditional ES style by going with a TPS Tomb Raider style.

Much in the same way I think ESO will be a bad off-shoot because they are straying too far into the linear Themepark/DAOC MMO style

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

[mod edit]

Pot kettle black.

Redguard is an ES game technically, but its a really bad off-shoot of the series.

Mainly because it strayed too far from the traditional ES style by going with a TPS Tomb Raider style.

Much in the same way I think ESO will be a bad off-shoot because they are straying too far into the linear Themepark/DAOC MMO style

Yes, ESO could be a disaster. But it's still a TES game.

IMO the only way a game could deviate from being TES (or any well known IP) is when lore is butchered, not the introduction of different game mechanics.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

[mod edit]

Pot kettle black.

Where is the linearity you speak of sir?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Don't add up to me. They say race lock is to easily identify the enemy, does'nt the big red name above there head do so just fine. They say seperation is to foster realm pride, then encourage you to make an alt on the enemy team where you can log into alt to spy. 4 realms but only 2 available to you and half that if your pve or pvp focussed. sleeping with the enemy is not good motivation or mechanics and counters the game design in more then a few ways. I see a mess a coming :)
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Reviewing poll results, I see 21.6% want open world pvp.  If TESO has open world pvp, it will be DOA.  

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Don't add up to me. They say race lock is to easily identify the enemy, does'nt the big red name above there head do so just fine. They say seperation is to foster realm pride, then encourage you to make an alt on the enemy team where you can log into alt to spy. 4 realms but only 2 available to you and half that if your pve or pvp focussed. sleeping with the enemy is not good motivation or mechanics and counters the game design in more then a few ways. I see a mess a coming :)

Being able to tell the difference between the 2 enemy factions in a three faction pvp system is pretty important tbh

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    With some luck... the combat system could be something like Tera... which would fit TESO

Got to ask but why not have combat like TES games?

Have you even played a TES game at all because your fist area of comparrison is always something else other then the latest TES game.

I found by comparisson the combat of Tera to be plain. The quality of Tera combat aside, why not start with TES combat and if it doesn't work go elsewhere?

Because its an mmo and not a single player - its not because of me really, I only play assassins on TES but for casters / ranged it would be a nightmare (to say the least) have a guy like me strafing out of your fireballs or arrows or whatever you could send at me only to be brutally raped as soon as I got close - and I would get close pretty fast - and a plate guy probably even faster since he could take a hit or two. Don't get me wrong - it would be cool in theory, but in practice would never work.

So it has to be something in between full TES and a regular mmo like DAoC thats why I said Tera. Action combat with some button abilities and for casters a soft lock so they can hit something - OR... you go full TES mode and make projectiles go at least the speed of sound (arrows, fireballs, etc) so people dont just dodge you.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Has anyone noticed that Matt Firor worked on Dark Age of Camelot and The Elder Scrolls Online and the games are going to have the same three realm pvp design? Inspector Gadget theme music.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by nilden
    Has anyone noticed that Matt Firor worked on Dark Age of Camelot and The Elder Scrolls Online and the games are going to have the same three realm pvp design? Inspector Gadget theme music.

LOL, I think they told Matt to do DAoC2 and then put an Elder Scrolls theme to it when he wasn't looking.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    watching the results of the poll, i wonder if this community is sandbox oriented ...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by loulaki
    watching the results of the poll, i wonder if this community is sandbox oriented ...

No - the PvP & sandbox players are easily engaged as they see themselves as underdogs.

This poll - unlike my other one (What is TESO?) has leading questions in favour of the PvP oriented players.

It is clear that even those can't agree on whether faction lock is the best thing - not when given some choice.

My other polls currently shows just over a quarter of people are happy with the setup as currently indicated by Zenimax.

They are, from the comments, almost exclusively DAoC fans.

This poll has also attracted the DAoC fans - of which only 1/3rd want single-area-only faction-locked PvP.

1/3rd of 1/4 is, if we generously round up to take account of variations, 1/10th - hardly a ringing endorsement at this early stage.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by nilden

. . . . . . . . not trying to be offesive but you have read these forums right?

i mean that has been the main subject of arguments for several weeks now

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    First option is great. I liked that setup in daoc a lot!

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by walltar
    I'd go with second option ... you can go to enemy zones, but there should be guards in cities and bigger towns who would attack you on sight. You are still in enemy territory.

Seconded. Pretty sure most of the non PvPers voted the first option. Would also be great if we had a restriction in the newbie starting areas too. Everything else? Get some guards protecting some zones and PvP all the way!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Hestia
    I'd go with second option ... you can go to enemy zones, but there should be guards in cities and bigger towns who would attack you on sight. You are still in enemy territory.

Seconded. Pretty sure most of the non PvPers voted the first option. Would also be great if we had a restriction in the newbie starting areas too. Everything else? Get some guards protecting some zones and PvP all the way!

Thats the part most people keep missing. TES fans, not MMO fans but people who will play this game because they loved TES most likely will ask 'Why every time I go explore some player keeps killing me?' TSE fans and MMO pure PvE fans have been thought of in the current design. DAoC system gives pure PvE fans the space they want and better yet PvP fans get the best of the best for PvP. Having PvP everywhere thins out the battles. Lowering the chance for a large sale battle. Making sure all PvP happens on one map means more fun for PvP gamers. 

This current system lets PvEers and PvPer have what they want without stepping on eachothers toes and wil make sure we net the most number of fans. 

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Hestia

Thats the part most people keep missing. TES fans, not MMO fans but people who will play this game because they loved TES most likely will ask 'Why every time I go explore some player keeps killing me?' TSE fans and MMO pure PvE fans have been thought of in the current design. DAoC system gives pure PvE fans the space they want and better yet PvP fans get the best of the best for PvP. Having PvP everywhere thins out the battles. Lowering the chance for a large sale battle. Making sure all PvP happens on one map means more fun for PvP gamers. 

This current system lets PvEers and PvPer have what they want without stepping on eachothers toes and wil make sure we net the most number of fans. 

I agree. Regardless of what I want, game after game has shown that if you want a LARGE population of players, a lot of those players want the CHOICE between PVE and PVP. (heck population wise, PVE players have always outnumbered PVP players by a big margin as well).

The PVP crowd that wants open or semi open PVP in all zones of the game are usually the loudest, but far from the majority.

Don't get me wrong though, I love RVR, and that's why I'm going to check out both TESO and camelot unchained, because in CU the entire world is RVR open access. But it works well in that game, because there is no PVE to speak of, so there's no need to separate the two.

As with most things in life, this is a good compromise. People that only want to PVE can stay in their homelands, and people that ONLY want to PVP can stick to CYRA. THe rest of us that like to dabble in both can pick and choose which we want to do depending on our mood on that day.

Usually a lot of this stems from a vocal minority that wants to take their PVP toon to go kill some casual PVE type to mess with his gaming experience LOL.

It's tough I know, when you go to an area designated for PVP, because then the people are actually there to fight you instead of unsuspecting victims. =)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Nitth

So, Interpreting that, Majority want something else besides the current design.

More like the community doens't know what it wants.  It could have been any model and there would be disagreements.