Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard's Future

DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

I forgot one major concern I have with this game: its future.

I occasionally read the official Vanguard forums.  Vanguard’s creative director apparently has been moved to another game rumored to be EQ Next.

So, if EQ Next is planning to be a high fantasy-open world-sandboxy type, is there room in the Sony portfolio for two similar games?

There’s already speculation from the community about the game not getting equal treatment.  My hope is that another company will acquire and continue developing Vanguard if Sony drops it.

Comments

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I always got the impression it was being subsidised by the station pass.  Wouldn't surprise me to see it disappear around the time of the release of EQ Next. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I guess it depends on how similar / different EQ Next really is to Vanguard.  How much do we know for sure about EQ Next at this point?

Enjoy the game while it lasts.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

I forgot one major concern I have with this game: its future.

I occasionally read the official Vanguard forums.  Vanguard’s creative director apparently has been moved to another game rumored to be EQ Next.

So, if EQ Next is planning to be a high fantasy-open world-sandboxy type, is there room in the Sony portfolio for two similar games?

There’s already speculation from the community about the game not getting equal treatment.  My hope is that another company will acquire and continue developing Vanguard if Sony drops it.

Vanguard isnt sandboxy.  Its in the same "not a sandbox, not a themepark" space as EQ.  There already is room in the Sony portfolio for two similar games, VG and the much more popular EQ1.

And I doubt any company would touch VG with a 10 foot pole.  I bet if you asked Smedley, off the record, his two biggest mistakes #1 would be the obvious and #2 would be bailing out Sigil.  VG was such a big money sink for SoE, and if it wasnt for SoE there is zero chance it would have ever been released-no one else would have taken the gamble.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    We don't know that it was a money sink for SOE.  Don't forget the game had 250k subs at the begining.  If they got it cheap enough then they probably made a profit.  Did they ever say how much they got it for?  Also, any operating losses would be a tax break.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    I always got the impression it was being subsidised by the station pass.  Wouldn't surprise me to see it disappear around the time of the release of EQ Next. 

/thread

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, lets just say that what I've heard to far about EQ Next means I'm not interested.

If SOE closes Vanguard down, fine. But I wont play any other game of them.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    From a strict business perspective, I see no reason why Sony wouldn't keep Vanguard as part of their portfolio as long as it continue to generate revenue.  I doubt they'd ever sell it because it would become a competing product.  I doubt they'd shut it down because it fits a very nice niche for 'core' gamers and probably spins off some nice cash for them.
    Originally posted by Letsinod
    We don't know that it was a money sink for SOE.  Don't forget the game had 250k subs at the begining.  If they got it cheap enough then they probably made a profit.  Did they ever say how much they got it for?  Also, any operating losses would be a tax break.

If it had 250k that was on day 1, I dont even think it sold that well.  Less than half that renewed the first month.  It was under 50k by the time SoE acquired it.  They worked on the game for almost two years after that with at least a medium sized staff with less than 20k subs for most of that time.  There is no way they didnt incur huge losses while doing that.

Originally posted by Adamantine

Well, lets just say that what I've heard to far about EQ Next means I'm not interested.

There are only two things anyone knows about EQNext

1. It will be a sandbox

2. It will use the PS2 engine

Nobody knows anything else but that (including pricing model..which Ill bet SoE doesnt know yet, they will monitor the market)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Well, lets just say that what I've heard to far about EQ Next means I'm not interested. If SOE closes Vanguard down, fine. But I wont play any other game of them.

1. It will be a sandbox

Nobody knows anything else but that (including pricing model..which Ill bet SoE doesnt know yet, they will monitor the market)

Actually we can't even be sure about it being sandbox. All smed said was "sandbox style' which is really quite vague.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Well, lets just say that what I've heard to far about EQ Next means I'm not interested. If SOE closes Vanguard down, fine. But I wont play any other game of them.

1. It will be a sandbox

Actually we can't even be sure about it being sandbox. All smed said was "sandbox style' which is really quite vague.

My thoughts exactly. Considering that everyone has their own conception of what makes a true sandbox. We all may find out that SOE's definition may not match our own.

Don't we know it will be f2p out the door? or is that speculation?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

1. It will be a sandbox

My thoughts exactly. Considering that everyone has their own conception of what makes a true sandbox. We all may find out that SOE's definition may not match our own.

Don't we know it will be f2p out the door? or is that speculation?

I haven't heard him comment specifically about eqnext being f2p but considering all their other games are freemium it's a good bet it will be too.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Hasnt been much said about Eqnext.

Nothing like jumping to assumptions.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

1. It will be a sandbox

I'm really doubting that EQN will be a full blown sandbox. It'll have sandboxy features, but I think it'll be one of those in the middle where there still is some direction in the game, there isn't going to be total freedom to play how you want, but there will be a wide variety of ways at least. Probably taking bits from EQ1, 2 and VG and rolling them up, hopefully into something good.

That said, just logged into VG after trying it out right after it went F2P and made a Warrior instead of my Bard. Think I'll be splitting my time between this and GW2 for now. I like the feel of it and hopefully I can meet some people in game I can adventure with and experience the game with. Really seems like a hidden gem that not many people have the patience to try out.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger