Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest regret buying games

Comments

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Paying for a second month of SWTOR :-/
  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Star Wars Galaxies was such a letdown.  Never again will I pre-order a game without actually playing it first.  Me and my friends burned a lot of money only to walk away after the first 30 days or so.  Such great promise, but needed another 6-9 months of work (not polish, work).
    Originally posted by therain93
    Star Wars Galaxies was such a letdown.  Never again will I pre-order a game without actually playing it first.  Me and my friends burned a lot of money only to walk away after the first 30 days or so.  Such great promise, but needed another 6-9 months of work (not polish, work).

Are you serious?

SWG is one of the most revered (and perhaps imfamous in later years) MMO's of all time. A real MMO.

I still rate that as the best MMO ever. Nothing gets near, so many years after... imho!

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    GW2 loved the first one but the 2nd was a let down for me 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by jacklo

Are you serious?

SWG is one of the most revered (and perhaps imfamous in later years) MMO's of all time. A real MMO.

I still rate that as the best MMO ever. Nothing gets near, so many years after... imho!

For me, SWG is kind of hit or miss.  It was one of my favorites, yet it was bug ridden to hell and back.  I was one of the first commandos on my server and the devs forgot to spawn the material that weaponsmiths needed to make the commando weapons. After a few weeks when they finally put the resource in the game, the weapons were bugged and only did 1-2 points of damage.  Then there was the holo grind that absolutely ruined the game due to a poor implementaion of an OP class that didn't belong in the game's time period.  I do miss our Imp raids from Bestine to Anchorhead though.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Yes there were bugs/mistakes, but every game since has had their fare share, many reapeated from what should be long learned lessons.

SWG had a recipe for long term, often multiple subscribers, many continuing until the very end, in a period of online game virginity. We (or 'I') need a game that rewards long term commitment like SWG used to do, not the instant satisfaction of MMOs produced today.

A game where you knew anybody worth knowing on the server, and that they were there - "come rain or shine". Because a real MMO is about the community.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

That they never have 3 uniquely different realms with classes, armor and architecture that stays true to the lore.

That makes me sad.  Oh well - time to log in my carbon copy toon and fight my own mirror for a flag woot!

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Diablo 3, After Playing Diablo 2 for years i had high hopes for Diablo 3.. then the error 37's hit and once i was finally able to get in and play it I couldnt believe i had wasted the money. I went back a few months later and there was the RMAH and i was disappointed.. Blizzard had finally entered the world of Hypocrisy after attacking so many others for selling digital content for real money they turned around and did it themselves. Im already decided that Titan will be a waste of time.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

SWG had a recipe for long term, often multiple subscribers, many continuing until the very end, in a period of online game virginity.

Many MMOs fit into this category.

I got bored easily with SWG. Went back to it twice but still did not hold any long term interest for me. I have multiple accounts with EQ2. Had multiple ones in other games at times too like SB, AC and DAOC. I know many others who stayed with CoX till it went dark many with multiple accounts. Shadowbane the same. So for you it may be the perfect game but you for others it was not.

And it is not revered by all. I am not even sure the majority. Oh and before you ask... yes I am serious.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Diablo 3. Impulse buy then waited to late to get a refund. Still stings.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    GW2, hands down. What a pile of poo.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Easily Guild Wars 2.  I was hyped up to get the game from a friend, we played it for two days then never touched it again...

Such a waste of money, oh well.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Buying an Intellivision game system and the game Burger Time.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    Biggest regret in the past 2 years, was purchasing games on an impulse, such as Diablo 3 and SWTOR, without reading about what I was expecting. I have made much smarter purchases since then, which also means fewer purchases..
  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Are you serious?

Yes, that's why I posted it. ( ' :

Design-wise, pretty brilliant.  Implementation-wise, it was a mess from the word go.  Some of us consumers expect more for our money and don't reward manufacturers for bad products and service....  For us, the state of SWG upon release was simply unacceptable regardless of how good the ideas were.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    God of war 3.. Beat in in under 10 hours and spent $60 on it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Mass Efect & Dragon Age Origins(it is main  fast uninstaled game)
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Gw2, pointless, boring.... regret.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I've enjoyed pretty much every title I've purchased, at least for a month or so.

Perhaps my only regret is falling for the pre-order/multi-month discounts and bonus items for Rift and Tera, because in each case I paid for 6 month subs and only lasted 2 or 3 months in each.

No more of that, strictly on a month to month basis from now on. (I still resub to EVE in 3 month blocks, but have never regretted that decision)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

The biggest regrets of last year speaking of videogame purchases were buying GW2, and paying the Collector's edition of Diablo 3 when it wasn't worth the price of a normal box. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Actually, my biggest regret is from NOT buying a game.  There was an entire year where I didn't stay subbed to EVE Online and now I've lost that year of skill training forever.
  • HarleyQHarleyQ Member UncommonPosts: 2

The only game I've outright regretted playing in the last couple of years was the Thor movie tie-in on the PS3. The boss fights require timed button taps, a la God of War. My memory might be a little off, but I think activation involved the L2 or R2 button, which takes longer to press down. I could never nail down the timing. It might be my fault, but I'm pretty sure it was the game.

Also, I ran into this bug jumping off a platform where the music continued to play and everything else froze.

Very upsetting.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Simple: Earthrise.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Preordering 2 copys of AoC only to have the game have bugs and basicly end after you finish the starting area because of no content.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213
    The only regret I have when it comes to buying Games is not knowning when I was just burnt out on MMOs. You know that feeling trying to find the new MMO that will captivate you like the last and only come to realize, eh this raelly is the same thing and I am tired of it. Sure, different graphics, sure different lore... but in the end run you just get burnt out and need a break.