Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by sxvs

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

eveything is in place, it looks great.. overall all the tools are there.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

Many skills (as have been pointed out by others) have been neamed from GW1 and the names are part of the lore of Tyria - Chaos Storm, Dolyak Signet, Healing Signet, Healing Spring, etc.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

See above. Understand the lore - understand the game.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

How can you make a warrior different? Explain please. I see people complaining but not giving any constructive ideas as to what they would different.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

You started a thread where you could have given constructive criticism but all you did was whine. Not even going to go there.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    GW2 issue is simple they nerffed every spec and every class, everyone is shit all that is viable is dps and its not even that effective. Bad class dev.s

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Jetrpg
    GW2 issue is simple they nerffed every spec and every class, everyone is shit all that is viable is dps and its not even that effective. Bad class dev.s

LOL - do you even play the game? You CAN'T just DPS, especially in ORR. If you did you would be dead so fast. Not even talking about Southsun Cove, where you have to have survivability or you are instantly dead.

People who say this do not or have not played the game at all. They didn't nerf every class - you just want OP shit so you can one hit mobs and then complain about that. This game is far from balanced but it better than most out there.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

funniest thing about the OP is what he wants exists in no MMO out there.. funnier that so many agreed and said gw2 combat sucks because of this.. guess all they saw was gw2 skills/combat suck so guess i agree!

don't care whether you like or hate a game or whatever but its funny how few actually read OPs before responding.. another perfect example was the thread about gw2 story.. the OP title sounded like he disliked gw2 story but if you read the post(which was a whopping ONE sentance long) he said he enjoyed it very much.. yet more than half the replies went "i agree with OP gw2 story was complete trash, VO blew" 

The guy was taken to task by people on here even though he said himself in another post he is still going to play the game.

It simply wasn't his "dream game". Do I completely agree with him? No.

Doesn't change the fact that he has a right to voice his opinion

Furthermore, the game has issues in areas. If some of you like it then kudos to you. It does not mean every gripe is a troll, hater, etc.

I'll give him more credit though than those willing to mob someone simply for having a different stance on a matter every time..

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

funniest thing about the OP is what he wants exists in no MMO out there.. funnier that so many agreed and said gw2 combat sucks because of this.. guess all they saw was gw2 skills/combat suck so guess i agree!

don't care whether you like or hate a game or whatever but its funny how few actually read OPs before responding.. another perfect example was the thread about gw2 story.. the OP title sounded like he disliked gw2 story but if you read the post(which was a whopping ONE sentance long) he said he enjoyed it very much.. yet more than half the replies went "i agree with OP gw2 story was complete trash, VO blew" 

The guy was taken to task by people on here even though he said himself in another post he is still going to play the game.

It simply wasn't his "dream game". Do I completely agree with him? No.

Doesn't change the fact that he has a right to voice his opinion

Furthermore, the game has issues in areas. If some of you like it then kudos to you. It does not mean every gripe is a troll, hater, etc.

I'll give him more credit though than those willing to mob someone simply for having a different stance on a matter every time..

try reading my replies I was trying to ask him what he was talking about and gave him numerous examples of how I felt he was wrong in his assessment.. don't see how that is an issue.. i didn't understand what he was asking at first and he clarified.. I also said Age of Wushu has the skill descriptions or "meanings" he is looking for. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

True story.

PvE gets boring really fast, played also every class, but no one hooked me. 

WvW may be good, but when the zerg comes I have like 3 fps , so its unplayable for me. And in the end its always the same keep grind.

They made the wrong desitions when creating the game.  But the codes and artists made a very good job.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

try reading my replies I was trying to ask him what he was talking about and gave him numerous examples of how I felt he was wrong in his assessment.. don't see how that is an issue.. i didn't understand what he was asking at first and he clarified.. I also said Age of Wushu has the skill descriptions or "meanings" he is looking for. 

/sigh

I was referring to people in general. Not you.

Just because I quote you does not mean I'm bashing you or refering you directly.

I didn't call you out.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

/sigh

I was referring to people in general. Not you.

Just because I quote you does not mean I'm bashing you or refereincing you directly.

usually when you quote someone you are talking to them or replying directly to them unless you post refers to "in general" in some way.. sorry i misunderstood

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    OP forgot there is one game that has skill that all descriptions have a back story and "meaning". Age of Wushu since all skills are based off martial arts moves all in which were named for specific things.. your welcome:)

I'll send this quote through a PM; hope it was just what he was looking for, nice catch!

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102

Lets face it !!! MMO in general r stuck. Stuck in players bad attitude, various quest systems, gold sellers and other "pilot" players feeding on bugs and greed of the developers. GW2 is fun!!!! and lots of it!!!! all depents how much fun u want.

Originally posted by Aerowyn.

usually when you quote someone you are talking to them or replying directly to them unless you post refers to "in general" in some way.. sorry i misunderstood

Not always.

Sometimes it is done to imply your point or to directly communicate with the individual.

It does not always mean the entire post is directed at the person quoted.

Suppose it is my fault but I would have figured since I didn't single you out in my response you would get the gist.

But hey...what do I know? I have to be one of the most modded fucks on this site that can still post

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

In my opinion, the biggest drawback of the game is the skill system. I loved the skills in Guild Wars 1.

Just standing in the city wondering about what skills should I put on my quickbar was really entertaining. And testing them later was even better.

But now we have this boring skill system which, in my opinion, was designed to keep the players away from finding a build of skills which can defeat any other player without giving them a chance. So now we have these beautiful shackles to play with, totally spoiling the concept of the original game.

I know it's difficult to balance a game in PVP, however, the fun I had creating my builds is now long gone

Originally posted by AtrusV

In my opinion, the biggest drawback of the game is the skill system. I loved the skills in Guild Wars 1.Just standing in the city wondering about what skills should I put on my quickbar was really entertaining. And testing them later was even better. But now we have this boring skill system which, in my opinion, was designed to keep the players away from finding a build of skills which can defeat any other player without giving them a chance. So now we have these beautiful shackles to play with, totally spoiling the concept of the original game. I know it's difficult to balance a game in PVP, however, the fun I had creating my builds is now long gone

I felt the same way about the skill system at first.. I still wish they had more weapon sets but once you get up in levels and especially 40+ build options start opening up a lot and gets more and more open the higher you get..my main issue now is not having a build saver so I can swap between all the builds I come up with

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

i stopped reading there .

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought the game because I thought even Areannet could copy DAOC's game system

Well they copied and improved the keeps and towers and than had a mental meltdown and thought servers wars were some kind of two week basketball game where whoever scored the most points of  mindless repetative insanity....... won !!

Words come to mind that I won't write...... to describe such stupidity.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    6 80's
    Mesmer
    Elementalist
    Guardian
    Ranger
    Engineer
    Necromancer

They never get old! WvW, Spvp, or PvE!

I can't for my Thief and Warrior!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

I think a big factor in long term fun is putting in a bit of effort in order to progress. GW2 seems to give you everything you need just from being there.  Nothing was really difficult to do, and there were long stretched where nothing much changes with your character.

For me it takes any form of character attachment out of the equation. 

I agree with the lack of overall creativity.  This game hones right in on people who want zero effort, zero risk pvp/pve (as with all themeparks), and well...its a game meant for people who really dont seem to like RPG's.

Yeah they toss a half assed storyline in there, but the heart of this game is making the trip to endgame easy, fast, painless...and it gives the game a shallow quality.  Endgame is nothing special just the same old with a twist.

Im still firmly convinced that GW2 is a mmorpg meant for gamers who dont want as little RPG in the game as possible. Buy the game, no sub, hop in have everything you need, find everything easy, do quests with no text just be there, no real gear worries, no working to get your skills ect.

Theres nothing to be ashamed about that, i know a lot of people are going to get pissed at my statements however.  And this post like any other post i make on this games going to get spam reported and deleted...though im clearly not trolling or insulting.  Its sad i gotta come in here walking on eggshells though...any other game subforum a different story.

Clearly not a game for me, and a lot of people, doesnt make it bad...ill still call it shallow and overly easy, a lot of themeparks fit that bill.  The whole "just play it to have fun nothing else matters" mantra sounds good on paper, in reality i think a lot of people like depth, challange, complexity..and well...the attachment that follows a difficult path to reach the top.  Difficult path to the top and no risk pvp/pve are are motto of all themeparks of late though so i cant blame them for following the trend.

• blackeyefookesblackeyefookes Member Posts: 5
    Totally agree with the OP's statements. For me the worst part was the exploration. I find it hard to believe the Q&A team missed the fact that once you've explored on one character your alts would be a nightmare to do it on again.  Most of the abilities seem very generic and lack-luster. And you would think for a game that manages only 10 hotkeyable abilities that they would at least seem more effective, and unique.  Aside from these few important points which pretty much ruin the game for me GW2 is a very solid game.

I felt the same way about the skill system at first.. I still wish they had more weapon sets but once you get up in levels and especially 40+ build options start opening up a lot and gets more and more open the higher you get..my main issue now is not having a build saver so I can swap between all the builds I come up with

I will never understand this.

The game isn't any more complex than others on the market. It isn't real hard to get people to work skills sympatico. Nor do you even need to bother to do so for most fights.

You want to know the biggest drawback towards this game for some? The fact that some players make it seem a hell of a lot more complicated to play than it is.

...and for clarification purposes that was a direct statement towards the person quoted. :P

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

So your thread is actually meant to be titled "this game is a prime example of a game I should have fun (sic) but don't."

I can see how you made that mistake, subjective and objective being so close together on the keyboard. 

Frankly, I haven't had this much fun with an MMO... or a game period, in years.  So whatever.

Originally posted by Eir_S

So your thread is actually meant to be titled "this game is a prime example of a game I should have fun (sic) but don't."

I can see how you made that mistake, subjective and objective being so close together on the keyboard. 

Frankly, I haven't had this much fun with an MMO... or a game period, in years.  So whatever.

What is really amazing is how many of you are taking him to task yet by his own account he said the game has pros and cons. Even went as far as to say he is still going to play it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

What is really amazing is how many of you are taking him to task yet by his own account he said the game has pros and cons. Even went as far as to say he is still going to play it.

Huh?  I was commenting on his baiting thread title.  Who's not going to take someone to task when they look like they're speaking for everyone before you even read their post?  Attention seeking is only cute when your'e 5.

Huh?  I was commenting on his baiting thread title.  Who's not going to take someone to task when they look like they're speaking for everyone before you even read their post?  Attention seeking is only cute when your'e 5.

Right.

Yet myself and a mulitude of others were able to ascertain something different from reading the entire thread.

[mod edit]

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

One of the things I really take issue with current MMO trends is this paring down of skills and spells so that they only deal with combat.  What happened to all of the fun skills and spells of the older games, the run speeds and levitates, invises for classes besides the rogue, flavor style shape changes or factional shape changes, non-aggroing investigative tools like the Eye of Romm, water breathing, increased swim speed, blink spells, buffs for better selling prices, paladin destriers and dark knight helsteeds, light spells, identify spells, conjure item spells of the magnitude of EQ Magicians.  Mini games, readable libraries...etc.

Every game has become so combat focused, that the very quality of life mechanics of the game worlds have suffered if not completely gone missing.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

One of the things I really take issue with current MMO trends is this paring down of skills and spells so that they only deal with combat.  What happened to all of the fun skills and spells of the older games, the run speeds and levitates, invises for classes besides the rogue, flavor style shape changes or factional shape changes, non-aggroing investigative tools like the Eye of Romm, water breathing, increased swim speed, blink spells, buffs for better selling prices, paladin destriers and dark knight helsteeds, light spells, identify spells, conjure item spells of the magnitude of EQ Magicians.  Mini games, readable libraries...etc.

Every game has become so combat focused, that the very quality of life mechanics of the game worlds have suffered if not completely gone missing.

To be fair it is kind of neat how skills work together through varying classes in the game. I have to say that is cool when you see it in action.

Thing is most aren't aware. Nor is it needed. Not to mention when you do have players like that you can steamroll most shit.

This discussion has been closed.