Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I in the wrong?

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I posted a topic asking when we will see DD/ Ele nerfed and the thread got locked and I got an infraction.  This pissed me off to no end because I know this was personal I have in the past buttheads with some of the community mods before over other topics and in some cases I was out of line and deserved those infractions as I let my emotions cloud my better judgment, but this case was wrong IMO. Tell me your thought was I a victim of a mod taking things personal?

Here is my post that got locked down and deleted and I was given an infraction for:

I know you guys are going to nerf them soon but what's the deal, when can I start giving you my money? 

I will not pay a dime for paid spvp until they are brought down to an equal playing field, the problem with them is all the above, to much damage with waaaay to much survivability, with to many escapes, it's like if you took all the classes mixed them all together in a pot and out comes the DD Ele. 

I just would like a time frame, thanks for your time.

The mod then e-mailed with saying this:

Moderator Note: 

[quote]Please refrain from the use of demanding language when making posts on this forum. 
[/quote]

This infraction serves only a warning. Additional infractions may award Infraction Points which can negatively affect your account. Infraction points may cause loss of privileges, including forum suspension. 

* Your message was deleted.
* The topic was moved.

This is an automated message generated by an infraction given by a human moderator. If you believe you have received this infraction in error or wish to make an appeal, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

I then replied directly back to this community mod via e-mail and told him his:

What ever it's still no where near demanding, If you want demanding I will tell you this, If I get written up again some stupid reason , I will uninstall and quit the game for good, I will not support any game company that will not hear the player base out and attack there customers with a power trip, you or anyone over at A-net are not doing me any favors, if anything it's the players that are doing you guys the favors, we help write your pay checks, without the players there would be no GW2 remember that next time you go and hit that infraction button for no good reason

I had some infractions before in the past and I will admit those where justified because I was out of line using real world politics as a example, but this last post was not,what ever personal grudge you have against me should not cloud you judgement and clearly this was the case because I have seen some real messed up post even attacking A-net publicly on the forms and those threads get 100+ view and comments with no lockdown, this I feel was a personal attack because of some things I said in the past that might of rubbed off on you personally due to my political nature on those old deleted threads of mine.

If the problem continues I will take this over your head and go to your superiors even If I have to call by phone.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

As often is the case, it's not what you say, but how you say it. Tone.

[mod edit]

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The only thing you might have done wrong was that you overreacted to an infraction. People get infractions for anything and everything on those forums. It's lighter than a slap on the wrist.

You broke a minor rule by acting demanding. You know, "change this or else you get no money from me!" and, "Give me a time frame." Really, your original post is just another typical balance cry post with nothing even remotely resembling constuctive criticism.

It's all about tone over there.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Seriously, if your response starts with "What ever...." that says enough about your tone and behavior.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

1. did you REALLY threaten to uninstall and quit playing a game that is free to play after buying it?

2. did you REALLY threaten to uninstall and quit playing a game that is free to play after buying it as if it would carry weight?

3. They already have spoken at legth PUBLICLY about the issue and how it will be delt with AND asked people to STFU about it already.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I don't tend to agree with much in the way of the fans on this site, but I have to agree with them on this one.  I tend to side with the devs when it comes to posting on their forums.  You play by their rules, or you don't play at all.  I've criticized most games out there in one way or another,  but I've never gotten an infraction on any site.  Mainly because I don't say anything in a way that I wouldn't say it to one of my parents.  I still manage to grumble and complain as much as the next gamer, so in the end, I'm ok with it.
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

[mod edit]

Yeah I can see how It might sound, but I really didn't mean it in any way, I was asking a question on a video that they made from one of the Dev teams mouth that they where going to nerf DD Ele because they felt they are to strong in PvP, I asked for a time frame on that  nerf, I can see if I said something like "You better nerf you jerks" but that wasnt the case I just asked when and why I wouldnt pay for spvp due to the problem.

As for my reply email, I ment it to be offensive, to manys time MMO's company community mods tend to forget that they are not doing a any favors, we pay them, it's as simple as that.

It's is different when you are dealing with forums like this one MMORPG.com where they are indeed going us a favor by giving us a voice and a place to talk shop for free, we don't pay MMORPG.com a cent other then viewership so forums like this one have the right to tell me to "F" off and don't come back, but in this case A-net this is a service forum just like my cell phone provider or cable company forums, I pay/paid to have that option, If I have a problem or question It should be in my right to ask and even complain so long as I am not making any threats or hurting there other customers.

Originally posted by jtcgs

1. did you REALLY threaten to uninstall and quit playing a game that is free to play after buying it?

2. did you REALLY threaten to uninstall and quit playing a game that is free to play after buying it as if it would carry weight? Gw2 is like a one time membership to privete club, you pay for entry and pay for drinks, so yes I will stop going there and stop buying drinks if the bartenders spits in my drink and tells me to drink it.

3. They already have spoken at legth PUBLICLY about the issue and how it will be delt with AND asked people to STFU about it already. Lol if you ran your own store and told your customers STFU about it already, you would be out of business in a month.

Tell you the truth I put more money in Gw2 a month then I did with any pay to play game, the thing is I know this isn't all of the Gw2 team it's just another hired gun with a power trip that mean nothing to the company when it comes to there profits, anyone can become a forum mod most are just volunteers and the ones that are not are just  low paid customer server reps.

I mean think about it, what If you called your cell phone provider to ask them a question and that rep just hangs up on you because he or she didn't like the question or you for that matter, most people will call back and ask to speak to a manager or curse that rep out over the phone, those reps are a dime a dozen and any smart company wouldn't want people like that working for them because they could chase away there customers, in other words they would be fired.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

[mod edit]

Pretty much this.

You sounded demanding and spoilt. I mean you even demanded a time frame hahahaha.

I'm sure they will miss your paid PvP tokens... oh wait.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'm not at all surprised with the infraction. Your original post was demanding, and your follow up email was even worse. Posting criticism isn't wrong, but the delivery method needs to be constructive. You need to reread what your wrote, in both the original post and follow-up email, I would actually read it out loud. I think you'll see how immature the overall context is.

I follow a few personal rules while posting anywhere. Take em or leave em, but they've served me well.

1) Never post while angry. Walk away and take time to think.

2) While posting criticisms, read what you wrote out loud. You'll get a better feel of how well received your post will be.

3) Finally, remember it's just a game. They are meant to be fun and entertaining. Don't get sucked up into the negative atmosphere of the cynical gaming community. This one is the hardest one to follow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I do think they were a bit oversensitive in this particular example, maybe you just ran into a moderator who hates when people use incorrect grammer?

"too much damage with waaaay too much survivability, with too many escapes,"

Another possibility, you did mention that you had past infractions that were well deserved, perhaps now that you've caught their attention you're on their "hit list" and they may over-react to your posts.

Sometimes it's better not to be noticed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

[mod edit]

this and the fact that you have been told off before sounds like you are just troll for life. case closed.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Yes you are in the wrong, but what I find really strange is that you think you are not, have you read your post back? 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Why would you even bother yourself so much with the goings on of a GAME?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

People need to learn that their message will never get across when couched in threats and rantings.  It takes away from your argument and it will not  be taken  seriously.

They gave the infraction because you "threatened" "will not pay a dime until" etc.  Not a big deal in my mind but it is never going to  help you.  If you have a past of things you thought were over the line and you thought this was not a problem then I can see why they just shut this one down right a way.  It was a warning that was explained. 

I think it was a little much but they must get tired of hearing people say how they are going to take their toys and go play somewhere else.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This part here:

" when can I start giving you my money? 

I will not pay a dime for paid spvp until they are brought down to an equal playing field"

sounds indeed demanding... like, "I want you to fix this or I'm not playing anymore", which by me should be fine if used in different "tone".

If it were me writing this, I'd write something like

- bring up the problems you've got with DD Ele and why it's not fun to play against it

- ask something like "Should we expect a iterration of DD Ele in some of the upcoming patches since sPvP isn't fun to play when someone's playing DD Ele which is basically not counterable by many classes? If not, could you explain the decision?"

When posting on forums which are not community forums (like GW2, EVE, etc..) I always try to write respectfuly towards the devs and just express my frustration in a constructive way.. I earned alot of temp. bans to learn how to write on games forums to actually get some decent response, but atleast now I've got no problems with it again :D 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    First, I would like to know what youre SPvP rank is, because I'm 32 and theres a pretty good balance between all classes and builds IMO. The only video I heard a dev talk about looking at a Elementalist nerf was discussing Staff Elementalist Bunker. Tbh the way you worded your original post, it sounds like youre a burst thief or 100B warrior that couldn't kill a DD Elementalist off your predictable one trick pony move. If you want to "demand" a nerf try providing actually feedback instead of the usual need this class because I cant kill it in 2 seconds crying.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

OP - you didnt read the forum rules, did you.

I will post some for you here to think about.

1. Do not post petitions, “I demand an answer” threads, conspiracy threads, or comments about circumventing the rules.

2. Do not submit “trolling” posts or threads. We define “trolling” as commenting in a manner intended to elicit overly strong negative and emotional responses for mere shock value, attempting to derail threads, persistently posting off-topic, or engaging in personal attacks on another forum member. Accounts made with the sole intent to “troll” will be terminated.

3. Be respectful. Be pleasant to forum members, staff members, and moderators.

Only 3 infractions in your post.

[mod edit]

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Note:

This infraction serves only a warning. Additional infractions may award Infraction Points which can negatively affect your account. Infraction points may cause loss of privileges, including forum suspension. 

It's a warning only. Tone it down some and you'll be fine. You didn't get any points. You are over reacting.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    DD ele op ? hmm I guess you learn something new everyday =P
    Fair enough I just needed other opinions, I guess I was in the wrong then, but at the same time I still feel the mod should of handled it a bit different, maybe edit my post but not an infraction, maybe he was having a bad day and went over board , we all been there at some point, I guess the same can be said about myself.
    Originally posted by elitero

Yes there was a Q&A video and they said that they are going to nerf Ele, they feel that they are to strong in pvp, healing mainly.

I will find the video and post it fo ya.

Edit: found the video, link below:

Start the video at around 59:00 for talks on nerfs.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/b/365009593 

Originally posted by DMKano

Yes you are wrong.

Don't sweat it we are all wrong more than we know, could be a great learning experience.

Yeah I have a bad habbit of coming off the wrong way when I type, I have to remember that I am dealing with the world not just my local community so words,exaggerations & dialect might have a different effect on people from different parts of the world.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I do think they were a bit oversensitive in this particular example, maybe you just ran into a moderator who hates when people use incorrect grammer?

"too much damage with waaaay too much survivability, with too many escapes,"

Another possibility, you did mention that you had past infractions that were well deserved, perhaps now that you've caught their attention you're on their "hit list" and they may over-react to your posts.

Sometimes it's better not to be noticed.

Yeah I think that might of been the case, I have in the past had some controverial debates with people & mods, but thats the nature of the game, everyone always thinks they are right when if comes to befiefs, not saying I am always right far from it, but IMO mods need to not let personal feelings get in the way of there jobs, you don't have to like the person that is fine but treat your responsibility as a mod with professionalism.

As for my grammar well I hate to call you out but it's "grammAr" not grammEr I guess even the grammar police make mistakes lol

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by colddog04

The only thing you might have done wrong was that you overreacted to an infraction. People get infractions for anything and everything on those forums. It's lighter than a slap on the wrist.

That goes for many forums.. Infractions and temp banning.  Heck, they even happen here! Perish the thought.  This is one reason I try to stay out of the GW2 Forums.  But damn if they don't keep popping up on the home page.

As to the OP.  Never piss up-wind.  That's some sound advice, for free of course.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by elitero

I love mine.....it gets boring though not being able to be killed in 3v1's :P Godmode in PvE too.