Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla WOW

If Blizzard hosted Vanilla WoW servers, how many of you would play on them ?

I miss the old game.  Maybe Vanilla WoW with flying mounts ..  that would be sweet ...  

anyways .. i just think the old game was the best game .. and I'd probably play if they had 

a Vanilla server ......

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mischiff

I miss the old game.  Maybe Vanilla WoW with flying mounts ..  that would be sweet ...  

anyways .. i just think the old game was the best game .. and I'd probably play if they had 

a Vanilla server ......

How many people do you think would actually play after they reached 60 and there was nothing left to do? Consider, also, that the only people who would play it are the people that have already played it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

well, there are a lot of FREE games out there ... a lot of them with less bugs than those servers have ..  how can u b so sure that people wouldnt pay something, even if it was less than the $15   bux that is normally charged .. i mean, Blizzard could charge $9.99  for the vanilla servers and i think people would still play it.  Maybe they could charge less ... to keep a few vanilla servers on hand shouldnt cost that much i would think .. the point is, I'd pay 5 - 10 bux a month to play on a good vanilla server.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

a Vanilla server ......

They would also need a separate development branch for the vanilla side to keep tossing more content at people, WoW still is a themepark and themeparks cant live without regular content additions.

And no flying mounts please, they brought more negatives than positives imo, butchered open world PvP even more, questing and grinding became "fly from mob to mob" style ridicilous zoom zoom fest especially after reducing the mounting time.

Oh the times of questers and instance groups traveling the land, sometimes clashing, sometimes waving at eachothers, all gone, server communities and faction rivalries, all gone, it's an event of the century if you even meet opposing faction people of your own server  *sob*

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I like chocolate better...

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by austriacus

a Vanilla server ......

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

For normal cataclysm and up you would be right. But think of it for a second. This people are looking to play a game that is almost a decade old driven purely by nostalgia. Do you really think that a gaming community FULL with rabid fanboys of the game they are playing would really have a high percentage of cheaters?.  They are going there for that nostalgia trip, they can hack and cheat all they want in games they dont care much.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I hated vanilla WoW because it was the most anti social, casual, linear, hand holding, easy MMORPG out at the time.

Why would I go back to it, just because WoW has gotten even MORE casual over the years?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I hated vanilla WoW because it was the most anti social, casual, linear, hand holding, easy MMORPG out at the time.

Why would I go back to it, just because WoW has gotten even MORE casual over the years?

You're not making any sense.

If you hated it back then, I'm assuming you stopped playing back then as well? So....if that's true, why are you posting here? The OP is obviously asking his question to people that loved Vanilla WoW and hate it's current state?

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    A true Vanilla WOW server I would play it but 99.9% of this player base would not, the good old days of true MMORPGs with real content.
  • thechuckedthechucked Member Posts: 1

I've played wow off and on since pre-TBC. It was great back in the 'vanilla' days not because of the lack of features or differences in classes, but it was the community. I've started playing again so I can play with my son during the week (lives with is mom) and I have no problems with the changes to the talents, flying mounts, xp rate, or the quest helper. What sucks that by level 40 ive never had a need to use the in game chat, have added 0 players to my friends list, have never seen a horde character, have never been ganked, have never been to the other continent - cant remember what its called.  My best memories of wow were running to razorfen whatever and having little pvp fights with the other faction as they waited for their group. Actually adding complete strangers to my friends list cause they were good dps/healers/tanks was nice. Sure it took a long time to get a group together but it was more enjoyable. Now, as a tank, I hit the LFG and 30min later I'm done with a dungeon.

I'd love a server with all the current content - minus the dungeon finder, minus cross realm pvp, maybe slow the xp rate down, take away all the auto-added flight paths so you have run your ass off like before.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

You know what would be even better than just plain Vanilla servers?

I would love Blizzard to add a second evolution plan for their game.

A second evolution plan that continues in the same style of the orginal Vanilla game. With the same class authenticity, with the same harshness etc. But without the stupid changes they did over the years like class changes and more conveniences etc and with some new and upgraded visuals etc.

I know it won't happen, but Vanilla servers won't happen either :-)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

well, there are a lot of FREE games out there ... a lot of them with less bugs than those servers have ..  how can u b so sure that people wouldnt pay something, even if it was less than the $15   bux that is normally charged .. i mean, Blizzard could charge $9.99  for the vanilla servers and i think people would still play it.  Maybe they could charge less ... to keep a few vanilla servers on hand shouldnt cost that much i would think .. the point is, I'd pay 5 - 10 bux a month to play on a good vanilla server.

You're under the impression that there is a sizable audience that would do what you feel you would do.

You're also under the impression that you would actually still be playing 3 months later and not a) leaving because there's notihng left to do or b) asking them to do updates to your server.

We've seen with AC's Verdantine and several other 'reboot' servers that they pile on for a few months and then drop to abysmal PCUs after that. We've also seen developers look at 'old school' servers and either find - through much better analysis with much more solid data than yours - they are not worth doing.

The only MMO that has found success in such a server has been EQ, however those progression servers are not locked down to just the initial release. Instead they are opening up the regular server content over time. As a result, they maintain a following and are very popular.

How can I be sure? I can't. However, I'd take a decade of history and data over "I want, therefore it should be" any day.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I would resub to WoW for a Vanilla server.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, discussion of unofficial servers isn't permitted here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    If I wanted to play an MMO where the only endgame to speak of were raids with simple mechanics, and it took hours spamming chat to fill a full group, id go play SWTOR.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly... I'd probably lean more towards TBC then anything. Vanilla had a couple iffy things about it that TBC did fix. While it wasn't perfect, TBC improved a lot of what was 'meh' about the game and had done a lot more steps in the right direction rather then wrong... which they seemed to think those 'bad' things were good and built on those and ditched the good unfortunately for wrath.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I'd play if the DHK still existed, though I'm sure if I ever want to attempt to do something so gruelling ever again. It was interesting while it lasted though.
  • MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

+1

I dont play wow long time i will back for sure if they add only vanilla servers.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

No - I think Blizzard should make new expansions in the style of Vanillia - i.e. have the choice of 3 lands to quest in at any one time, rather than just 1.

The pet battles in WoW seem fun so far.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

a Vanilla server ......

One condition:

"Classic" servers must include "Classic" bugs, incomplete classes, and "Classic" server instabilities.

I don't believe in idealizations. You get vanishing boats and griffons back, broken charge and vanish, stuck-while-gathering, melee hunters, useless warlocks and druids, no Alliance shamans or Horde paladins, a freaking enormous list of QoL updates reverted--you take the bad along with the good, or you get nothing.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Best alternative is to turn off exp when you hit level 60 and find a few WoW Vanilla guilds who only play vanilla content, it's what I do and it's fun. :)
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I probably wouldn't play on them.  Been there, done that.  I've liked all the expansions.  People need to take off thier rose-colored glasses.  Vanilla had alot of things that weren't that great.  Just like people will bash a game today if it has a horrible launch, however, WoW had a ton of problems for the first month after launch.  I remember buying the game at midnight, logging in to find out that I could only play like 5 mintues maybe before I got disconnected lol.  I think the only thing Blizzard should do with Vanilla is to bring back a 40 man raid.  I truly miss those epic fights.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

just my idea, may be will never work, but why not make WoW separate games,
    same way as GW1 made it, instate of update whole content for each x-pack.

after it can be figures out how to do better: separate servers or just zones etc.

I mean why not let people play what they are asking for?

I can see more success from opened realms with specific: vanilla, TBC, etc teamed realms.

not sure if anyone else like this idea tho.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Casual indeed it was, easy...check, linear....pretty much yeah, hand holding?  Not near as much as it is NOW. Anti-social? That was not MY experience with Vanilla WoW at ALL. It was far more social than it is today. Today if you don't have a guild, don't expect to talk with anyone at all.

Goes to show that people perceive things differently due to their personal experiences. Yours is one opinion. Mine is another.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Casual indeed it was, easy...check, linear....pretty much yeah, hand holding?  Not near as much as it is NOW. Anti-social? That was not MY experience with Vanilla WoW at ALL. It was far more social than it is today. Today if you don't have a guild, don't expect to talk with anyone at all.

Goes to show that people perceive things differently due to their personal experiences. Yours is one opinion. Mine is another.

Exactly my thoughts. To be completely fair there was a bunch of ex-EQ players that did constant qq about newcomers to the genre but that would be all real anti-social things going on there. Other than that totally different title.

And WoW back then wasn't really so casual even using casuality standards back then. 6-8 weeks to reach cap then weeks to get SOME gear, full T1 set wasn't cheap, same field marshal (actually level 60 PvP sets were not for most even in TBC).

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I loved the original WoW but I wouldn't play it now. Why? Because I know everything about it now so it will get boring fast. Also knowing that there will never be new content. So no vanilla server wouldn't work for more than 1-2 months tops.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.