Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

"US free-to-play audience outnumbers pay-to-play 6 to 1"

Comments

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Scot

And as more and more MMO's and players go F2P, MMO's have got worse.

One word. Funding.

Actually, that makes very little sense. Companies don't go free to play to make less money, if they did make less money they wouldn't go free to play. 

I am not trying to be too offensive when I say this, but it feels like not to many people here actually think.

are you talking short run or long run money here ?

• sportsfansportsfan BlankenbergePosts: 431Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

One word. Funding.

Actually, that makes very little sense. Companies don't go free to play to make less money, if they did make less money they wouldn't go free to play. 

I am not trying to be too offensive when I say this, but it feels like not to many people here actually think.

are you talking short run or long run money here ?

Zynga games have 300 million ... players and is broke. Free to play is to avoid shutting down former AAA games, while for B games it is a way to avoid taxes on other activities.

What you see is an MMORPG industry losing players because of all that garbage out there.

And unfortunately this site and others hyped way too much turds on the way.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 729Member Uncommon

Here is my last post on this matter and I will not reply to anyone else or respond. This is the end result, fact, and there is no argueing about it.

1. Free to play is a viable bussiness model and many companies have already proven this.

2. Free to play doesn't mean the game is bad.

3. Free to play makes just as much money as pay to play.

4. Pay to play is more likely to have a better communtiy.

5. Free to play doesn't mean it was a former game that failed. (Example: All nexon games are free to play from the start)

6. The Free to play market is still rising. (Crytek is looking to go free to play in a few years and create AAA free to play titles)

Keep in mind all these points are 100% facts and are well known by the game industry. 

By responding to this post with a disagreement you agree you are not smart. 

Thank you, and good day to those who are smart.

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Teens and folks who really cant afford subs will logically flock to any of the hundreds f2p mmos.

People who really have no clue will logically flock to post comments like this, makes them feel special for paying money every month for reasons that no longer apply when it was created.

The f2p money making behemoths is Nexons maplestory and Zyngas Farmville and thier key demographics are teens who spends their pocket money on random shit becuase they cant aford 800 to 1000 euros gaming PCs plus subbed based mmos.

So who are all of these players? They're relatively young, though not as young as you might expect. "Our median age is really 17, 18, 19," says Kim. "That's the peak of our curve." And many of Nexon's players aren't gamers, or at least aren't online gamers. "A lot of our users, Maple Story is their first MMORPG. They've been playing games, but they haven't been playing online games, so this is their first online experience." Kim says that most ofMapleStory's players only got into it because they were asked to play by friends, and the reason they jump in rather than playing a game like World of Warcraft is that "there's no barrier to entry. If they have a computer and an internet connection, they can download the game and play for as long as they want."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/07/nexon-americas-pre-paid-card-empire/

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

"worse" in your opinion.

So i guess you will quit MMO at some point because the trend is pretty clear.

• YalexyYalexy BerlinPosts: 1,053Member Uncommon

Only tells us, that six out of seven players are too poor to pay a fair price for a good game.

Oh... and F2P-titles are all not good, and I've tested basically every freakin' MMO released in the last 10 years.

• MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Only tells us, that six out of seven players are too poor to pay a fair price for a good game.

Oh... and F2P-titles are all not good, and I've tested basically every freakin' MMO released in the last 10 years.

If that was truly the case, the F2P business model would not be profitable, and arguable more than many P2Ps (otherwise why would they swap to the F2P model, right?). Those 6 out of 7 players are not "too poor to pay", they're playing the game they like and paying what they want to.

------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

• YalexyYalexy BerlinPosts: 1,053Member Uncommon

Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Yalexy Only tells us, that six out of seven players are too poor to pay a fair price for a good game. Oh... and F2P-titles are all not good, and I've tested basically every freakin' MMO released in the last 10 years.
    If that was truly the case, the F2P business model would not be profitable, and arguable more than many P2Ps (otherwise why would they swap to the F2P model, right?). Those 6 out of 7 players are not "too poor to pay", they're playing the game they like and paying what they want to.

The F2P-business works, as underaged gamers pour tons of money into these games, most usually with the money from their unaware parents.

Additionally. Show me a game that went from P2P to F2P that was actually good to begin with.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Pensacola, FLPosts: 1,119Member
    Just goes to show their are alot of freeloading mooches in the world today.  We have created an entitlement society. Both in the MMORPG universe as well as real life...
  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

The ignorance about how f2p actually works and the type of people who play the games, in this thread is....not as shocking as I wish it was.

The people who think they're better people because they play a p2p game really are a lower class of people.

• KruulKruul Houston, TXPosts: 476Member
    It should be a crime to lable most F2P titles as free. Lets be honest, to be viable in any of these games one much choose a vip plan which is a sub, or pay to unlock content which costs more than a sub.
  • ksternalksternal Hainesport, NJPosts: 81Member
    Reason people prefer F2P most of the time is MMORPG content has been crappy these last 5+ years and only getting worse.
  • ksternalksternal Hainesport, NJPosts: 81Member
    Originally posted by Talgen
    My parent's always told me, "you get what you pay for" ~ It has served me well..

Agreed 100%, Shame more people don't know how to use common sense!

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,141Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Talgen
    My parent's always told me, "you get what you pay for" ~ It has served me well..

Really, it's a shame I've paid for lots of AAA MMOs that turned out to be a bag of crap. I've found that most of the time you definitely don't get what you pay for. Mostly it's mutton dressed as lamb.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 , CAPosts: 2,444Member Uncommon

One word. Funding.

More like, they went F2P because they were bad MMOs and since then, STILL aren't good MMOs.

The point of the thread is moot. I see that most everyone reailze that.

More people are playing F2P now for many reasons (one being, because, well, they don't have much choice now since the majority of them have made the switch) but it has not improved the already failling MMOs. Also instead of funding the expasion of the game it goes into the cash shop. There isn't much growth like when F2P started with DDO and Lotro. Now, the players are spread out and not committing to any one MMO, thus hop from one to another. So "more F2P playerss!!11", whoop dee do.

and now I have deja vu

• nbtscannbtscan Phoenix, AZPosts: 778Member Uncommon

Originally posted by nariusseldon "If you were to look at the growth of the audience alone, the market for F2P games is substantially larger than that for pay-to-play. Six times larger, in fact." ... The good news is that in 2012, F2P MMOs made more than their P2P counterparts, capturing the majority of the MMO US market’s revenue. The tricky part lies in how to capture and replicate this success."  
    Well when you outnumber P2P games by 6:1...derp.
  • RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Well, I can be counted as a user of about 6 F2P MMOs, none of which I played much and 1 P2P MMO, so I fit the stats perfectly
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

One word. Funding.

More like, they went F2P because they were bad MMOs and since then, STILL aren't good MMOs.

More people are playing F2P now for many reasons (one being, because, well, they don't have much choice now since the majority of them have made the switch) but it has not improved the already failling MMOs. Also instead of funding the expasion of the game it goes into the cash shop. There isn't much growth like when F2P started with DDO and Lotro. Now, the players are spread out and not committing to any one MMO, thus hop from one to another. So "more F2P playerss!!11", whoop dee do.

and now I have deja vu

Good or bad is subjective and when it comes to MMOS it is no so black and hite. MMOS are ongoing process and many of these MMOS that were incomplete and horrible at launch have imoroved by leaps and beyond. STO and AOC for example.

So nope it is not that simple. But then again according to your logic only bad mmos go F2P so if i look at the majority of opinions WOW is a very bad game and yet somehow it has highest P2P players in market. On the other hand majority of gamers and critics love TSW and it had to go B2P to survive.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DihoruDihoru ConstantaPosts: 2,731Member
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

One word. Funding.

and now I have deja vu

Good or bad is subjective and when it comes to MMOS it is no so black and hite. MMOS are ongoing process and many of these MMOS that were incomplete and horrible at launch have imoroved by leaps and beyond. STO and AOC for example.

So nope it is not that simple. But then again according to your logic only bad mmos go F2P so if i look at the majority of opinions WOW is a very bad game and yet somehow it has highest P2P players in market. On the other hand majority of gamers and critics love TSW and it had to go B2P to survive.

Please don't bring logic into the topic! It will scare the P2P hardliners away!

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 rush springs, OKPosts: 76Member Uncommon
    it doesn't matter to me I purchased a lifetime sub for TSW and still feel like that game cheated me out of some serious cash.
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08
    it doesn't matter to me I purchased a lifetime sub for TSW and still feel like that game cheated me out of some serious cash.

To use the same logic P2Pers use: how much was the lifetime sub? 400$? That's roughly 15 movies you could've watched or 23 hours of enjoyment (on average), did you enjoy TSW for that amount of time? Yes? then you got your money's worth accoring to a P2Per's logic.

• CecropiaCecropia Posts: 3,472Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dihoru

To use the same logic P2Pers use: how much was the lifetime sub? 400$? That's roughly 15 movies you could've watched or 23 hours of enjoyment (on average), did you enjoy TSW for that amount of time? Yes? then you got your money's worth accoring to a P2Per's logic.

You've crossed over into "those people" territory. Good luck with that.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• greenreengreenreen Punchoo, AKPosts: 2,101Member Uncommon

They weren't the first either to get lifetime money then go free on the money they got.  There should be laws against changing their payment model and offering goofy perks like LOTRO did but that's what the TOS is for - anytime we can do anything, sigh. Messed part was that people asked them on the forum if they were going to do free and they said NO, they said that, they lied and got away with it. That was my lifetime blunder in comparison and I can't even get rid of the account to another person without getting a CC in my name and giving them my name etc. Already tried giving it away once, big pain. Only time I would buy lifetime now would be if it came with a minimum years contract on it for the game's payment model. It always bugs me when people talk about the success of LOTRO after they had all the cash push of lifetime subs, grrrr, you can't even trust 'reputable' companies.

Chin up - better will come.

• DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Life time sub is $200 and if he bought it he must have had a blast :)
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Dihoru

You've crossed over into "those people" territory. Good luck with that.

After having my subset of players continually slammed with ignorant generalized comments in so many threads in the last week alone? Yeah, I'm going into that territory but only as much as stating the logical constructs some (not all) use to justify their warped views and parodying it.

Fun fact: I am technically also P2Per as I play EVE-Online a regular basis (with breaks) so ^^.

This discussion has been closed.