Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: No Cross-Platform Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 and 4 versions of Diablo III will not feature cross-over play with PC users. In addition, it has also been confirmed that PS3/4 users will be able to cooperatively play without utilizing Battle.Net.

Diablo 3 will not require a constant internet connection for local multiplayer on the PS3 or PS4, Blizzard production director John Hight has confirmed. "You can have four people on the same screen - no split-screen, we just zoom the camera out. Or if you're offline," he tells Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers.

Find out more at the links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Welp, that sucks.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Probably for the best, because some times console gamers won't want the same things as PC ones. With seperate environments they are free to update and adjust seperately.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by SBFord

Blizzard has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 and 4 versions of Diablo III will not feature cross-over play with PC users. In addition, it has also been confirmed that PS3/4 users will be able to cooperatively play without utilizing Battle.Net.

Diablo 3 will not require a constant internet connection for local multiplayer on the PS3 or PS4, Blizzard production director John Hight has confirmed. "You can have four people on the same screen - no split-screen, we just zoom the camera out. Or if you're offline," he tells Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers.

Find out more at the links above.

Probably a good thing, as PC version is a hack fest anyways.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Not too shocking. I still wonder if they will try milking player money on the PS3/4 with an Auction House there as well though. 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This is a good thing
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

does anyone really care about diablo anymore?

the series are destroyed, at least I have my memories left.... Blizzard will probably find a way to wipe those good times

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Did they include the RMAH?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Can't believe this was Blizzard's great unveiling at the Sony conference.  I was hoping for something new and original, but who am I kidding here?

They might have rode the coattails of the success of the previous games for their latest game, but I don't think it'll translate into even 10% of how many copies they sold for PC.  I imagine the assets are easy enough to convert over seeing that it's no modern marvel in graphics or anything, but it just seems like a colossal waste of time.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Blizzard should die with diginity.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol at all the haters.

This is kind of awesome.  With offline play, they won't be able to include the rmah, pretty sure.  Or you'd have to have separate offline and online chars. 

It's great to get away from the screwed up economy of the PC version of the game that's been ruined by bots.  It's much harder to bot on a console, if not impossible for almost everyone who's currently botting on the PC version.  This could actually make the game worth playing again.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by adam_nox

lol at all the haters.

This is kind of awesome.  With offline play, they won't be able to include the rmah, pretty sure.  Or you'd have to have separate offline and online chars. 

It's great to get away from the screwed up economy of the PC version of the game that's been ruined by bots.  It's much harder to bot on a console, if not impossible for almost everyone who's currently botting on the PC version.  This could actually make the game worth playing again.

You're missing the point of the haters as your second paragraph points out whats horrible about the PC version of this game. That is the same thing they're complaining about that you are trying to make fun of them for.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    What a disappointment this was, time for some PS users to waste their capital and time eh.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Console users might actually get the version we should've gotten at release.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Sony prob said no we wont allow it to blizzard lol, keep a major competitor out of the market for their games :P
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

It is pretty simple. It all comes down to the fact that not even a fraction of the consoles are connected to the net compared to the PC/MAC market. So it is natural to offer a off-line mode if they want to sell any games at all.

As for the RMAH i still don't get why people harp on that... Let face the facts.

A: D2 had bots and a fairly substansial black market for gear.

B: The people who got scammed by said market turned to Blizzard for help.

C: People who have money will spend it to cut out the grind (as evident with the black market)

So in order to solve these problems to the best of their ability (since it is close to impossible to get rid of the bots and people wanted to be able to sell and trade their gear. The solution was the RMAH.. People can still buy gear if they like but now there is a approved way of doing it, so Blizzard can take a much harder stance on people who do not use this system and goes to the black market instead.

But by all means it is a free wordl and you can choose to not play the game. Enough people do to make it a hit.

Ps. Diablo 2 is never comming back. What you have is what you got and more importantly the experience will never be the same again even if someone made a 1:1 copy of it. Ds.

This have been a good conversation

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I still find it funny that people on an MMO forum complain about needing an internet connection to play a game, Blizzard had always slated D3 as a co-op game not a single player game, not like it was a surprise.  And do not bang on about D2 not requiring an always on connection - that game way released some 13 years ago when most were on dialup.

Blizzard tried somthing new with D3 with the always on and for the most part I think it worked extremly well - the hypocritical vocal minority (most of all probably play POE but have no issue with the always on requirment in there) have probably not swayed Blizzard off the always on course they're on at the moment.  Truth is all games are going this way - it will soon be the norm so to everyone I say get used it.

On to the console release Sony would never allow blizz to run Bnet on their network and without Bnet there canot be a RMAH and thus the need for always on is not required, nothing more to read into guys.

FYI Starcraft 2 can be played offline, thought id throw that in as I've seen comments about it requiring an internet connection for the campaign which is not true.

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    Do you even imagine how horrific and not secure would be logging in to battlenet via gamepad -_- not all ps3 get connected to the internets and then you wouldn't be able to coop on single machine... They just want to sell another 10 milions copies of Diablo 3 and they probably will. It was expected move since they desinged game to be gamepad compatible
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by expresso

Blizzard had always slated D3 as a co-op game not a single player game, not like it was a surprise.

this is a deadhorse but responding anyhow

Blizzard has always supported Diablo3 as single player

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Diablo-PC-Gaming-action-rpg-battle.net-Robert-Bridenbecker,13187.html

Senior producer (of D3) Alex Mayberry told MTV that gamers can play by themselves, but the characters are stored on Blizzard's Battle.net servers. "You have to authenticate through our servers to be able to play the game," he said. "I think it's not just 'Diablo 3' but with our games as a whole we're tying everything into Battle.net these days...We can provide a much a much more stable, connected, safer experience than we could if we let people play off-line."

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

No RMAH in console version. The game is trash anyway in my mind. I played it through once in about 4 or 5 hours and just saw no point to playing again already with mobs with more reists.

However, the fact the RMAH is given to people and they all hope to make cash off it...I find it utterly hillarious more then anything. =]

Blizzard did a forum poll about the RMAH and according to responders, less then 4% utilize it lol.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31

Let me get this straight, right.

Us PC users had to put up with constant disconnects, dozens and dozens of maintenances, log in problems, general instability etc., but console players will have none of that crap?

Console version won't have RMAH either, which in my opinion was one of the key factors that ruined the game, because the drop rates were so poor and so forth.

Offline-mode that was impossible to implement on PC, is the standard that console will get :D

Blizzard, you are really something, really :D