Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Looking for Programmer - Sword Art Online MMORPG

Tyrox92Tyrox92 StuttgartPosts: 6Member

Hey guys,

im not quite sure where i could post my thread so i just choose the pub.

Please bear with me if i post on the wrong forum.

 

Back to Topic:

Introduction:

My name is Tyrox and im one of 4 People developing our own MMORPG. The game itself is based on the anime "Sword Art Online" so the game should be in the anime look. The actual team consists 4 Modeler. We had an Programmer but he left us because he had no longer time and want to focus on studying and reallife so we are looking for a new programmer.

 

The idea:

We are planning to do a First Person MMORPG. The system is pretty easy. No classes. No magic. 100 Level / 100 Bosses. To clear the game you have to beat all 100 Levels on your own or with a team. There are no roles like tank/damagedealer/healer by class but we want to let the Players choose on theire own so basicly all people are the same but the way they choose their abilities they can be more tanky or more damagedealer like.

With this we want to give the Player a huge freedom in their playstyle.

The game itself is in the anime look so anime textures, avatars look like animes and so on. We want to give people more freedom so we want a huge character customization (lots of different hair/colors/ eyes....).

As I mentioned there are no races so you'll start as a human but can stand out from a lot by customize your avatar the way you like!

We want to be as near as possible to the anime.

 

What we're looking for:

As I said we need a new programmer. We give him the freedom to choose his scriptlanguage / gameengine. But he should be familiar with the anime "Sword Art Online" and should be interested in making a MMORPG.

 

Why do we want to create a MMORPG?

The whole team are anime freaks and especially love Sword art online. We all loved the idea of creating a game after the story of the name-based anime. So we started working, creating models, planning the whole idea, started designing a homepage and tried to manage that whole thing.

 

This is a huge project! Forget the idea about making a MMO!

We discussed a lot about the dimensions of our plan or our idea of making a mmorpg. But we give all we have and want to develop this game and so we spent all of our freetime in developing/planning the game.

 

What is your goal?

We want to create a game that is like the anime Sword Art Online and have fun. We dont want to make money or make a game then make it pay to win and get rich. We just want to have fun in our own world. This is our dream and we hope that this will come true.

 

Interested?

If you're interested or want more informations just contact me via the thread here or write an email to: osaftgaming@googlemail.com

Comments

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,638Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tyrox92

    We want to be as near as possible to the anime.

     

    What we're looking for:

    As I said we need a new programmer. We give him the freedom to choose his scriptlanguage / gameengine. But he should be familiar with the anime "Sword Art Online" and should be interested in making a MMORPG.

     

    Why do we want to create a MMORPG?

    The whole team are anime freaks and especially love Sword art online. We all loved the idea of creating a game after the story of the name-based anime. So we started working, creating models, planning the whole idea, started designing a homepage and tried to manage that whole thing.

    Two questions:

    Are you really asking a programmer to work for free making an MMO engine/framework for you? And possibly fill the roles of technical artist and world builder, as well?

    Does your love for Sword Art online extend enough that you've touched base with ASCII regarding this project?

     

    Other than that... good luck, and enjoy your adventure into MMO development!

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • Tyrox92Tyrox92 StuttgartPosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Tyrox92

    We want to be as near as possible to the anime.

     

    What we're looking for:

    As I said we need a new programmer. We give him the freedom to choose his scriptlanguage / gameengine. But he should be familiar with the anime "Sword Art Online" and should be interested in making a MMORPG.

     

    Why do we want to create a MMORPG?

    The whole team are anime freaks and especially love Sword art online. We all loved the idea of creating a game after the story of the name-based anime. So we started working, creating models, planning the whole idea, started designing a homepage and tried to manage that whole thing.

    Two questions:

    Are you really asking a programmer to work for free making an MMO engine/framework for you? And possibly fill the roles of technical artist and world builder, as well?

    Does your love for Sword Art online extend enough that you've touched base with ASCII regarding this project?

     

    Other than that... good luck, and enjoy your adventure into MMO development!


    First Question: Yes im really asking. I know that our chances to find someone for free working with us are really low, but it's worth a try :)

    Second Question: Well my love is enormous :P But i dont really know what you want can you please explain more?

     

    Thank you for your wishes!

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

    1 programmer? see ya in 10+ years.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

    1 programmer? see ya in 10+ years.

     

     

    At least.

    Maybe posting this in the Developers Corner forum would get some attention for you also. How much research have you done in developing your MMO? It's a pretty massive task you've given yourself.

    All the best.

    image
  • Tyrox92Tyrox92 StuttgartPosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Rhinotones
    Originally posted by Nitth

    1 programmer? see ya in 10+ years.

     

     

    At least.

    Maybe posting this in the Developers Corner forum would get some attention for you also. How much research have you done in developing your MMO? It's a pretty massive task you've given yourself.

    All the best.

     

    1 for the start. It would be pretty unrealistic if i came here and say "hi im looking for 5-10 developer " . So i want to get started with one.

     

    I try posting in developers corner thank you for the suggestion :) We did a relative huge research with our old programmer he told us much about it and we did some research on our own too.

     

    Even though this is a pretty massive task all in our team want to  realize our dream and create it doesnt matter how hard it will be:P We are really working hard to get this project started.

    Thank you for your suggestions.

    -Tyrox

  • LienhartLienhart Markham, ONPosts: 635Member

    Get in touch with reality is my suggestion. I'm a programmer and have made my own projects with a small group of four. Simple applications end up taking WAY LONGER than you expect.

    I also know two colleagues that are creating a game from ground up that have yet to launch a working game 2 years later...yet I'll leave work Friday to come back to it Monday seeing them passed out (ie. they work very hard).

    What you are trying to do is IMPOSSIBLE in your life time with a group that size and I can tell from your writing that you have little to idea what programming a game takes...perhaps even programming in general. Take a step back and plan it out a lot more.

  • TenkouseiTenkousei BrusselsPosts: 72Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tyrox92

    Second Question: Well my love is enormous :P But i dont really know what you want can you please explain more?

     

    Thank you for your wishes!

    Because ASCII Media Works owns the publishing rights for the VN iirc. Your project will probably infringe several copyright laws.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII_Media_Works

    Also, SAO was/is pretty big in Japan. I doubt they'd let a small group of foreigners touch the IP. Not even with gloves and a stick.

    Good luck though ...

  • Tyrox92Tyrox92 StuttgartPosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Lienhart

    Get in touch with reality is my suggestion. I'm a programmer and have made my own projects with a small group of four. Simple applications end up taking WAY LONGER than you expect.

    I also know two colleagues that are creating a game from ground up that have yet to launch a working game 2 years later...yet I'll leave work Friday to come back to it Monday seeing them passed out (ie. they work very hard).

    What you are trying to do is IMPOSSIBLE in your life time with a group that size and I can tell from your writing that you have little to idea what programming a game takes...perhaps even programming in general. Take a step back and plan it out a lot more.

    Yeah you're right i have no experience in programming but i could think of how much work this is.  As we started we knew this project isnt finished in a week or two. But we want to realize this and we will put much effort in this. Its hard.. no its really hard to realize this project but we think we can do this even if it takes longer than we expected.

     

    Thank you anyway for you post. I try to make more research and tell my team but we dont give up:P

     

    - Tyrox

  • RedempRedemp Hot Springs, ARPosts: 1,042Member
     I wish you the best, but I'd say start with something tiny first. Maybe try a minecraft mod? I've got a few buddies who are programmers, as broad a statement as that is the actually ability of each programmer differs. Generally the catch-all, do it all programmers are the people who are just getting into it ... most have a section they are dedicated to. Network programming is in an of itself a mountain of a task. There are a few people on these forums who have a better idea of the task you're about to undertake, hopefully they jump into the thread in a bit. I do wish your team the best, I say go for it ... the best way to learn is to try ; I'd simply start much smaller. Heck even minecraft modding is a boatload of work, but you might actually be able to implement all of your design goals in it as a template to what you want to do in your own game. Better still you'd get the idea of the work in store.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Apopka, FLPosts: 2,059Member

    There are so many things wrong with this, but let's begin.

    • You are using an extremely popular IP that you have absolutely no chance of acquiring the rights legally for, not the mention the IP is foreign and will further hurt your chances.
    • If if you don't directly use the IP, you'll be subject to lawsuits if you use certain aspects of the copyright in your MMO.  This would take special legal care on your part.
    • You don't state you have any documentation or such, for example your game design document, so a potential programmer looking to work for free over a long period would need to show you are serious about your product.
    • You don't give a proper sense of scope of the project.  Descriptions of gameplay elements are vague at best.  How will combat work?  What's the target platforms?  What modelling program and what format are the models in?
    • And speaking of scope, you don't list any experience your modellers have or anything about your team beyond that.  A bunch of inexperienced developers aren't going to create a 3D FPS MMORPG as their first project.
    • Why does the programmer need to be familiar with SAO?  Is the programmer also taking on the role of Game Design too?
    • You use a googlemail address instead of your own domain for a mailing address.
    • Your recruit post is filled with a large amount of grammatical errors.  It doesn't look very professional.
    • You posted in the wrong subforum as there is already a Developer's Corner specifically for this.
    • You expect to recruit quality programmers on MMORPG.com instead of using other websites dedicated to game developer or job recruitment.
    • You don't use your real name (I apologize if that is your real name, but I doubt it).
    My suggestion to you would be to drop ridiculous notion that you are going to create a MMORPG based on your favorite anime and start small and work your way up.  Why not just develop a basic 2D tile based RPG with similarities to SAO?  You can do so without programming experience using basic engines.  See if that's well received first and you'll have some experience you can post to people so they see you have the ability to follow through with your vision.  That's a good first step.  Don't dive into the middle of the ocean without first learning how to swim.

    image

    Raptr link because it's the cool new trend:
    image

  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SPosts: 1,124Member Uncommon

    unfortunally for you, I guess you will have to drop the project, first if you use a sword art online mmorpg I can bet you will get a nice justice officer deliving you a notice.

     

    one programmer? please you really would need to ask for 5-10 at least to get started, making a simple game is already a pain in the ass, its even more annoying for a MMO, simple put your side project will never give fruits. also if i'm not mistaken they are already making a sword art game, don't know if is a MMO but they are doing it.

     

    also since you are asking tehn to do it for free on they spare time ask for a hell a lot more people to get help, or even better, learn programming then come back read all taht again and if you started to learn anything you will feel shame for even asking that.

    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    image

  • Tyrox92Tyrox92 StuttgartPosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

    There are so many things wrong with this, but let's begin.

    • You are using an extremely popular IP that you have absolutely no chance of acquiring the rights legally for, not the mention the IP is foreign and will further hurt your chances.
    • If if you don't directly use the IP, you'll be subject to lawsuits if you use certain aspects of the copyright in your MMO.  This would take special legal care on your part.
    • You don't state you have any documentation or such, for example your game design document, so a potential programmer looking to work for free over a long period would need to show you are serious about your product.
    • You don't give a proper sense of scope of the project.  Descriptions of gameplay elements are vague at best.  How will combat work?  What's the target platforms?  What modelling program and what format are the models in?
    • And speaking of scope, you don't list any experience your modellers have or anything about your team beyond that.  A bunch of inexperienced developers aren't going to create a 3D FPS MMORPG as their first project.
    • Why does the programmer need to be familiar with SAO?  Is the programmer also taking on the role of Game Design too?
    • You use a googlemail address instead of your own domain for a mailing address.
    • Your recruit post is filled with a large amount of grammatical errors.  It doesn't look very professional.
    • You posted in the wrong subforum as there is already a Developer's Corner specifically for this.
    • You expect to recruit quality programmers on MMORPG.com instead of using other websites dedicated to game developer or job recruitment.
    • You don't use your real name (I apologize if that is your real name, but I doubt it).
    My suggestion to you would be to drop ridiculous notion that you are going to create a MMORPG based on your favorite anime and start small and work your way up.  Why not just develop a basic 2D tile based RPG with similarities to SAO?  You can do so without programming experience using basic engines.  See if that's well received first and you'll have some experience you can post to people so they see you have the ability to follow through with your vision.  That's a good first step.  Don't dive into the middle of the ocean without first learning how to swim.

     

    At first thank you for your post.

    We talked about the IP and the rights too and also asked for permission but there's no answer yet. We have thought of this too but not that much than we actually should.

    I see that we have no documentation for a  possible programmer and/or didnt gave much details / information about the whole project. And you're right i didnt mentioned the skill-level of the team.

    I guess you (and some others) opened my/our eyes. The way i tried to recruit is not that good. And no my realname is not tyrox.

     

    As some of you guys suggested i guess we'll start a way more smaller. To get experience and to plan way more to have a documentation/lots of stuff to show/present. And i should try posting on a developerforum and way more professional.

     

    I want to thank you for your suggestions. I'll focus on fixxing all of the problems talk to the team and start small and get bigger and bigger. I thought about what you wrote and it seems right. If we want to make ever a mmorpg we should not start that way we did.

     

    Thanks to all of you who suggested something and helped us! We are trying to improve and maybe you guys here from the game in the future!

    -Tyrox

     

  • RossbossRossboss Runes of Magic, TXPosts: 240Member

    First off, this sounds like you're looking for someone with a vast amount of experience developing MMORPGs. Then you offer no pay and give complete freedom to the programmer. It really sounds like you guys have your heads in the clouds and just want the programmer to "make the game for you".

    I'd advise you to look into each game engine yourselves and find one that suits what you'd like to do with the game. There's really more research you need to do before making such a large request. Not all models will fit into any engine, and not every engine will render the way you want it to. Programming is not an over-night thing that will just complete itself, especially on an MMORPG level.

    I'm not sure what you or your team's qualifications are but you don't give any information on how any of the progression is going to work, any of the mechanics aside from the 100 levels/bosses which doesn't give much direction. For those of us not familiar with the anime, this seems like you don't have a clue as to what you want and you aren't willing to pay money. Not only is the anime not very well known, but you're looking for a programmer who will accept no pay and loves a very specific anime.

    My first idea for you finding someone like this would to try and find a student who is studying video game design/programming in college. You'll get the free labor you'd like, however they will have no experience and need serious direction. This could be problematic but your goals really have no deadline and seem to have no specifications which would allow the new programmer to learn the basics.

    In all honesty, you guys really have your heads in the clouds. There are major costs in creating and maintaining an MMORPG in the sense you'd like to. The IP could also be an issue if they never actually respond or give you some rights. Since you all are working in your free time, it doesn't seem like this project would move forward at a reasonable pace.

    I am personally a programmer in college, not for game design, but the lack of real information you gave about what the programmer would be doing for you, what qualifications your team has, and what your timeline really is absolutely a red flag. I wouldn't even bother responding to what you have written via e-mail. Programmers require specifics before they get started otherwise you might end up with something you didn't even want in the first place. The way you stated it seems like you just want to plug your graphics into someone else's game in the end. Building any game from the ground up is difficult, and one without direction will take decades.

    I suggest that you really think about what you want from this game, what you hope to achieve and how you hope to achieve it before you go looking for a serious programmer.

    I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

  • dinamsdinams Muriae, VAPosts: 1,362Member

    Sorry to bust the OP bubble but what makes Sword Art Online, well, Sword Art Online is the bloody death-in-real-life VR technology that  we dont have

    If you make a typical game out of that it would be a grindy korean-ish experience

    "It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

  • greenreengreenreen Punchoo, AKPosts: 2,101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rossboss
    ...snip
    Programmers require specifics before they get started otherwise you might end up with something you didn't even want in the first place.

    So true, programmer here too - the easiest way for me to clock too much time is when things aren't in stone beforehand. This week I was given nothing but a logo and told - go, make a site. First I had to research the company, their competitors, make a design for the site, then I could get to the actual "code" part.

    OP you have been very nice to everyone, I think you deserve a pat on the back. You might be a good candidate to learn some programming yourself. There are lots of kits out there for game making.

    I'm making a game too but mine is only possible because I've spent years on just the planning. I learned modeling in Blender and decided to do a 2d game instead! Changes happen. I like the charm of 2d and I like that it's usable in browsers making it portable. Had I said day 1 this is the game I'm making, I would have been wrong.  Every night before bed I would add to the written plans then I ended up with 4 notebooks full of how everything interacts and over time things have been removed that didn't sit well with others. Planning like programming is iterative. I'm finally at the point of making it in code but it took a long time just to "tell myself" how I was going to do it lol

    I think you will find out that most programmers will try their own ideas before jumping into other peoples million hour trek but there are probably interns and the rare bored person that you might find, I just wouldn't put much hope in it unless you have some funding. You know that though :)

     

  • DisdenaDisdena Troy, NYPosts: 1,093Member

    Kudos to you for staying positive and polite amidst a lot of criticism that you were probably not expecting (or not hoping) to hear. Everyone has posted a lot of good advice for you, though. You're suffering from a pretty massive case of head-in-the-clouds syndrome.

    Rather than repeat what others have already pointed out, let me just say this. What you have is an idea for a game. Coming up with an idea for a game represents about 0.00000001% of the work involved in making the game (and that figure is almost certainly short by a few zeroes). Just about anyone who plays video games can rattle off half a dozen good ideas for games in under a minute. An idea, by itself, is worthless. The ability to envision yourself playing the game is worthless. Being able to make high level design decisions (like "what should the max party size be?" or "what kind of special attacks should some of the bosses have?") are worthless. Worthless as in, if you walked into any studio and offered to be their "game idea man" for a whole year for only 10 dollars, they'd tell you that that's 10 dollars more than they're willing to spend.

    The fact that the idea isn't even originally yours—and even comes from a story that is already about a video game—somehow makes it worth even less.

    image
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,765Member Uncommon

    As others have said, stealing an IP is going to be a problem.  So long as whoever owns the IP figures that you've got a vaporware project that is never going to amount to anything, it's not worth their time to sue you over it.  But if you actually get a working game, they will sue.  Don't expect to be able to license the IP for a reasonable amount of money, either.  Rather, create your own IP right from the start.  If it's inspired by Sword Art Online and has a distinctly anime look to it, fine.  But don't make it so similar that people will look at it and say, hey, that's just like Sword Art Online.

    Don't start by creating a bunch of artwork.  You need to have a bunch of programming in place before you can make use of anything more than token artwork.  A game engine will want its artwork set up a particular way.  Even if you get a good programmer, it's likely that he'll change his mind on exactly how he wants the models formatted as the project goes on.  While that's no big deal if you've only got some token artwork done to test whether the programming works, it's a big problem if you thought you were done with artwork.  If you did the artwork first, then you'll likely have to return and modify it all later.

Sign In or Register to comment.