Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some people took issue with my blog regarding cheaters in PS2.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

So I recently wrote a blog about the rampant cheating that takes place in Planetside 2.   Some said they have never seen a hacker, and some say that it is not as rampant as I propose.   Well, sad to say it, but those that think cheating is not rampant are just not telling it like it is.

For instance, just today, on Helios we had a number of hackers like this guy,...

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428044677964992721/killboard who, btw, has been reported on for the last 5+ hours and is still in game.  But, hey, there are no hackers in PS2 - right?

Comments

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

How are they hacking?

It looks like they can be killed and there are no consistent headshots.

maybe the kills are pretty close together in time but that wouldnt necessarily mean theyre hacking

they could have found a good area to camp that has a steady flow of targets to shoot

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    K/D 19.42 ... interesting

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

ya i know your pain mate battlfield 3 is the same  fille dwith cheeters glichers and hacks and ea has never done crap in any of there games about it

• MorninglordMorninglord Member UncommonPosts: 15

Players denying that there is hackers in games is much like a person who denies taking a cookie from the cookie jar even though they have crumbs on both sides of their mouth.

* * * Morninglord * * *

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by BethelsBoy

How are they hacking?

It looks like they can be killed and there are no consistent headshots.

maybe the kills are pretty close together in time but that wouldnt necessarily mean theyre hacking

they could have found a good area to camp that has a steady flow of targets to shoot

How were they hacking?  They were moving faster than anyone.  Teleport to a location, kill someone, then disappear.  They could also get under the ground and shoot up at people.   Also, Aim-bots do not have to shoot people in the head all the time.  Do not tell me he was not using a cheat...I and hundreds of others saw him, even people of his own faction tried to kill him a few times.  

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

I can honestly say, not once, and tes I said ONCE have I seen a cheater in PS2. Maybe I m just not looking that hard, but this is flat out bs saying anything remotely close to it being rampant. My Outfit was just alking about this the other day, and we collectively have barely seen it at all. We re 150+ members.

I don t know what the point is, but if you hate SOE, you re sure trying hard.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Chances are the ones hating on you are either cheaters themselves or just naive fanboys.

Oh, its run by SOE, no wonder nothing is getting done.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Sorry didn't read your blog but in response to the topic.

I don't think there is a single multiplayer game out there where people for what ever reason feel the need to cheat, I don't understand why someone might cheat, perhaps they are such bad players but still like games that there is no other way for them then to cheat, falsly making themselfs feel good where in fact it just seems sad that people need too cheat in GAMES!!

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    He jumped from rank 7 to 10, thats actually the only unnatural thing ive seen, he died ingame so its not inmortal, he just could be really good. and no im not joking.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

And there will never be a way to stop cheating 100% in any game.

I love APB but sometimes the cheaters in that game just ruin a good night.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

i wouldnt touch a multiplayer FPS shooter with 10 feet tungsteen pole, they are full of cheaters, all of them.

its so easy to cheat in these kinda of games that is childs play.

Originally posted by MadAce

The reason why your blog is being frowned upon is because it's a series of unsubstantiated guesses and near-hysterical hyperbole.

At no point in your rant have you even tried to provide with any kind of context, definition of "rampant" or proof.

You also blatantly contradict yourself. First you say that being "easily" (never backed up, just a baseless opinion) hacked is something PS2 has in common with PS1 and then you strongly hint that PS2 is a cheater's paradise because it's a F2P game. Now isn't that weird... PS1 wasn't F2P, and you said it had its cheating problem in common with PS2... Mmmh...

Apart from that:

" ther are no in-game admins" Prove it. SOE has about 150 people in its CS department. So now it's up to you to prove that these people collectively ignore PS2 for some arbitrary and insane reason.

"it happens quite often" What does that mean? "Quit often"? Compared to what?

Like, happens every day.

" but I guess this is beyond them" Prove it.

Really?  You want me to prove it?  I can prove that people are cheating rampantly in this game and not just aim-botting either.   Some of the top people didn't get to the top legitmately - they cheated to get there.   SOE needs to clean house and they need to start with these people that are blantantly cheating.

"Not a game session goes by that you will not encounter a cheater" Woah. Hyperbole, much? (You'll need this: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaggeration) There are cheaters, sure. What games doesn't have them? But not to the almost comedic extent you're trying to scream about.

Yes, not a day goes by in PS2 that you will not encounter one or more.  Watch the daily leader board.   People with new characters for that day that have a k/d of over 20 to 1(most of the time more) are more than likely cheating. 

People like you do as much damage to PS2 (if not more) as cheaters do.

No...SOE could do better and they are failing at this.   If anyone is hurting PS2 it is SOE by not taking a more pro-active stand on combating this problem.

Also, you shouldn't be writing blogs. They're pretty bad. You can't write, structure is beyond you, spell-checking is apparently against your religion or something and the concept of rational reasoning... Yea...

First I never claimed to be a writer, second, I went back and spell checked my blog and a couple of words show up that the spell check cannot ID - like Planetside, griefing, admins, SOE, PS2(apparently griefing is not a word, then again, neither is botting but it is used in the context of gaming since forever).  So yea...I am a terrible speller.  

People interested in more verifiable facts:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/199qiu/specific_changes_we_are_making_as_a_result_of_the/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1986in/short_explanation_of_our_banningsuspension/

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

As PS2 is yet another FPS with client-side calculations it's actually pretty esay to develop speedhacks, wallhacks and aimbots for it.

To make a MMO "safer" against cheating the first thing you need to do is server-side calculations with package-sniffing enabled. This way 99% of the hacks are ruled out, but this is not applyable to a fast paced online FPS, as the latency in such a setup rises drastically.

As for PS2, even in beta there were hacks readily available, so I don't doubt that there is alot of them now aswell.

One lesson I learned during the last two decades... never play a FPS with people you're not sitting in the same room with.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

It is naive if people think there are only hackers when they actually see it. Those hackers which are obviously cheating are probably the minority, they dont care getting banned or whatever. The problem are the subtle hackers, those who use aimbots without hitting the head, those who are using radar only or whatever other function this hacking tool offers. 

At the moment they are only getting banned when there is actually proof that such players are hacking if you follow some of the forum posts of smedley SEO. Not just assumptions. 

You can read a lot about that on public hacker forums aswell how most try to acti ingame with such tools...at the end most will try to stay "under the radar".

As far I understand there is no really good or probably none at all anti-cheat protection in Planetside 2 and this is a big issue.

But there is more to this. In Planetside 2 there are issues with hit detection, frame loss and latency problems. So not every strange situation happens due to hacking. There was a discussion recently on the official forums about "awesome players" and actually many did agree that you meet little too often such ones. 

Examples:

* hit detection i.e. your bullets dont get recongized, you get hit behind walls after running away from the enemy into cover.

* frame loss i.e. you dont actually see certain situations on your screen....reality is different than what you see on your monitor. 

* latency issues i.e. players with high ping causing lag with a mix of the other two points

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    I dont always agree with the OP, but she tells it like it is.  One of the few people that will loudly criticize a game that she enjoys.  Her crticisms usually aren't to bash a game, but to improve the game (or the genre).  And she does her homework, doesnt make statements just based off what everyone else says (which a LOT of the people around here do)
  • MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    Originally posted by Teala

The reason why your blog is being frowned upon is because it's a series of unsubstantiated guesses and near-hysterical hyperbole.

At no point in your rant have you even tried to provide with any kind of context, definition of "rampant" or proof.

You also blatantly contradict yourself. First you say that being "easily" (never backed up, just a baseless opinion) hacked is something PS2 has in common with PS1 and then you strongly hint that PS2 is a cheater's paradise because it's a F2P game. Now isn't that weird... PS1 wasn't F2P, and you said it had its cheating problem in common with PS2... Mmmh...

Apart from that:

" ther are no in-game admins" Prove it. SOE has about 150 people in its CS department. So now it's up to you to prove that these people collectively ignore PS2 for some arbitrary and insane reason.

Like, happens every day.

Really?  You want me to prove it?  I can prove that people are cheating rampantly in this game and not just aim-botting either.   Some of the top people didn't get to the top legitmately - they cheated to get there.   SOE needs to clean house and they need to start with these people that are blantantly cheating.

"Not a game session goes by that you will not encounter a cheater" Woah. Hyperbole, much? (You'll need this: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exaggeration) There are cheaters, sure. What games doesn't have them? But not to the almost comedic extent you're trying to scream about.

Yes, not a day goes by in PS2 that you will not encounter one or more.  Watch the daily leader board.   People with new characters for that day that have a k/d of over 20 to 1(most of the time more) are more than likely cheating. 

No...SOE could do better and they are failing at this.   If anyone is hurting PS2 it is SOE by not taking a more pro-active stand on combating this problem.

Also, you shouldn't be writing blogs. They're pretty bad. You can't write, structure is beyond you, spell-checking is apparently against your religion or something and the concept of rational reasoning... Yea...

First I never claimed to be a writer, second, I went back and spell checked my blog and a couple of words show up that the spell check cannot ID - like Planetside, griefing, admins, SOE, PS2(apparently griefing is not a word, then again, neither is botting but it is used in the context of gaming since forever).  So yea...I am a terrible speller.  

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/199qiu/specific_changes_we_are_making_as_a_result_of_the/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1986in/short_explanation_of_our_banningsuspension/

You say you can prove people are cheating "rampantly". Then please clarify what you mean with "rampantly". Compared to which games? In what context? In absolute numbers? In percentages? You've got some numbers to come up with.

What's your opinion on the fact that the leader-boards (and this is a widely broadcasted fact) are bugged? And how do we know that those people aren't under investigation (were they to be cheating) and/or already banned?

How about very good (and/or lucky) players? A 20:1 K/D ratio is rare, but it's possible given the right circumstances.

Anything real, objective and verifiable to back up your hyperbole would be a good start towards you no longer making yourself look attention-seeking and self-important.

Stop with the pathetic platitudes. It's frankly cringe-worthy.

All you're doing now is creating paranoia using nothing but... Nothing. A load of hot air.

Apart from that:

Like, happens every day.

You say you can prove people are cheating "rampantly". Then please clarify what you mean with "rampantly". Compared to which games? In what context? In absolute numbers? In percentages? You've got some numbers to come up with.

What's your opinion on the fact that the leader-boards (and this is a widely broadcasted fact) are bugged? And how do we know that those people aren't under investigation (were they to be cheating) and/or already banned?

How about very good (and/or lucky) players? A 20:1 K/D ratio is rare, but it's possible given the right circumstances.

Anything real, objective and verifiable to back up your hyperbole would be a good start towards you no longer making yourself look attention-seeking and self-important.

All you're doing now is creating paranoia using nothing but... Nothing. A load of hot air.

I found this guy in a matter of seconds...take a look at his numbers, look really close.

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428011263296686161/killboard/?view=kills

See anything weird about them?   Oh, and yeah, don't give me this BS story that the LB's are all messed up.  SOE tried to tell us that some of the numbers being depicted on the leader board are false and are merely SOE people testing stuff.   They have a dedicated server for testing "stuff".  

This guy cheated his way to near the top of the leaderboard for Helios server.   Wanna wager how many more I can find in a few minutes of looking?

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Apart from that:

Like, happens every day.

I found this guy in a matter of seconds...take a look at his numbers, look really close.

See anything weird about them?   Oh, and yeah, don't give me this BS story that the LB's are all messed up.  SOE tried to tell us that some of the numbers being depicted on the leader board are false and are merely SOE people testing stuff.   They have a dedicated server for testing "stuff".  

This guy cheated his way to near the top of the leaderboard for Helios server.   Wanna wager how many more I can find in a few minutes of looking?

Now you've provided a link to the possibly broken profile on an application in beta of someone who may or may not be cheating and may or may not banned and/or under investigation and may or may not be an employee.

So, yea, worthless. No proof whatsoever. Rather pathetic, really.

Do you even understand the concept of proof? Does the concept of anecdotal evidence even ring a bell? Because that's what you're providing. And even in the questionable range of anecdotal evidence, it's woefully inadequate.

I want numbers. Statistics. Data in a sufficiently large dataset and therefore indicative of a trend. 

Good luck with you barebone start into the wonderful realm of rational reasoning...

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Personally I would need to see more than just a statistics page, because at 48% accuracy it's rather iffy.

There are some good players that play infrantry in Planet Side 2.

Players such as this guy.

I'm not saying that this guy doesn't hack, or that there are no hackers in PS2, for example here is one with 100% accuracy.

The problem is to only show a stats page that seems totally feasible really doesn't prove that the player is a hacker. At what price do we pay if we're over zealous with our hunt? The only thing I ask for is better proof, though if it were possible I'd say that it at least warrants an investigation, but we all know that SOE doesn't investigate, but rather they tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

The real problem at hand is that there's nothing preventing you from hacking, they should at least force you to use a CC number. Anything tangible would really help in this situation and all "F2P" games that suffer from similar situations.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Apart from that:

Like, happens every day.

did I read correct and see that that guy killed one guy 38,000 times?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    In response to those people saying, "I have played for blah blah blah and I have never seen a hacker..." I had the opposite experience. I played the game for a total of maybe 11 hours and I personally saw speed hacks, the lag/invisibility cheat, and rampant aim-botting (people being killed well beyond the range the weapons are supposed to have). I also personally died a few times being shot by someone under the ground and while I was inside a tank, while the tank itself took no damage. So people can say they don't see it, but that is largely either because they don't want to see it, or are lying. The different kinds of cheating are there for all to see.
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

I wouldn't be surprised. There's not many post here where someone doesn't take issue with something. Don't take it personal.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

FPS games will always be plagued with cheaters, the day a game comes out and has a quick response ban standard with positive confirmed bans will be the day the world ends.

Originally posted by Xirik

Apart from that:

Like, happens every day.

did I read correct and see that that guy killed one guy 38,000 times?

No, you are seeing it correctly.   That is right, he killed the same guy over 38k times.   Here are just a few more, I managed to find in a few minutes of looking, and most are on the leader boards as being good players.

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428016813493330161/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428037660464851025/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428028648514816273/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428013610471627089/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428013610391578993/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428037660464503633/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428028648492995489/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428028648517744225/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428037660464397889/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428028648513357857/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428037660453949169/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428028648492995489/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428031585330730289/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428026242697934705/killboard/?view=kills
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428018587883938369/killboard/?view=kills

this one is funny...because of the guys named that killed him...

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428039961790506465/killboard

here is one that seems to have been created in the last 48hrs - cheating his way to the top of the charts...especially if he keeps going at this rate...

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428044677964472801/killboard

Now, it took me all of a few minutes to find this many cheaters...how many more do you think I can find?

Apart from that:

Like, happens every day.

Now you've provided a link to the possibly broken profile on an application in beta of someone who may or may not be cheating and may or may not banned and/or under investigation and may or may not be an employee.

So, yea, worthless. No proof whatsoever. Rather pathetic, really.

Do you even understand the concept of proof? Does the concept of anecdotal evidence even ring a bell? Because that's what you're providing. And even in the questionable range of anecdotal evidence, it's woefully inadequate.

I want numbers. Statistics. Data in a sufficiently large dataset and therefore indicative of a trend. 

Good luck with you barebone start into the wonderful realm of rational reasoning...

After reading your response to ArchFault over at Reddit PS2 forums, I think it best we call it a day.  BTW Smedley admits that they have all ready banned 8,401 players since the game released - that is banned - not suspended...but banned.   Because the number is much greater if you count the number of people that have been suspended.   Anyway, the game has been out since Nov.    There are 30 days roughly in a month.   Now divide 8,401 into the number of days since the game has released.   Just did a little math and that comes out to roughly 93 people a day that have been caught cheating in PS2.  You're right...it isn't rampant.   ::rolls her eyes::