Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sounding more like WoW every day

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Karteli

Well if you think that a mechanism telling you exactly where not to stand so no damage will be taken is not hand holding, then I'd hate to actually see your definition of hand holding.

Seriously, would you rather watch and learn from a mobs animations and different attack types to become immersed, or would you rather just stare at the ground and play a jumping game to not stand in the red stuff, while mindlessly spamming a rotation.

I imagine it does get difficult, but it becomes less about a RPG and more about Frogger with it's current design.  Frogger got challenging too, but it was still always the same.  Stuff in Wildstar may change, but I'm just going off of gameplay videos - and it looks very uhh simple.  It's less about each fight being different, and more about just mastering how to monitor changing, though repetitive red patterns on the ground between you and a mob.

This is for AOEs only, if you watch enough videos, mobs still have direct attacks that don't show up. Maybe if you had to kill an enemy X number of times to learn its AOEs first, something like that could make it better.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Isn't this game a ThemePark? That makes it by definition like WoW as that game created the sub-genre.

WoW did not create the theme park.

WoW created WoW. And the sub genre that stemmed from it, is WoW clone. A genre games like Rift, LotRO, AoC, and SWTOR fall into.

GW2 is a themepark without being a WoW clone.

I never heard the ThemePark therm used before WoW. If you have some resource showing that then please show me.

And GW2 is quite similar to WoW. Class based afair with linear quest based leveling system (yes dynamic events are disguised quests) and also quite casual and easy to level as WoW. Even got PvP zones, and just like WoW the PvP is pointless.

Also observe that I did not use the therm WoW clone. I said "like WoW". But it was actually a question because I am not sure this game is a ThemePark or not.

Yamota prior to WoW there weren't enough MMOs for the distinction between sandbox and themepark to be necessary. The definitions emerged naturally as the two different styles of MMO became clear. Just because the term came to common use after WoW's release doesn't really make WoW the game that defined a themepark; that probably falls to EverQuest.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Isn't this game a ThemePark? That makes it by definition like WoW as that game created the sub-genre.

WoW created WoW. And the sub genre that stemmed from it, is WoW clone. A genre games like Rift, LotRO, AoC, and SWTOR fall into.

I never heard the ThemePark therm used before WoW. If you have some resource showing that then please show me.

And GW2 is quite similar to WoW. Class based afair with linear quest based leveling system (yes dynamic events are disguised quests) and also quite casual and easy to level as WoW. Even got PvP zones, and just like WoW the PvP is pointless.

Also observe that I did not use the therm WoW clone. I said "like WoW". But it was actually a question because I am not sure this game is a ThemePark or not.

Yamota prior to WoW there weren't enough MMOs for the distinction between sandbox and themepark to be necessary. The definitions emerged naturally as the two different styles of MMO became clear. Just because the term came to common use after WoW's release doesn't really make WoW the game that defined a themepark; that probably falls to EverQuest.

Partially true... but no, there were tons of MMORPGs before WoW. Just the term didn't get widespread until after WoW when everyone started cloning games instead of creating new ones.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    From what I read, most of the devs on WS also used to be the devs who worked on vanilla WoW. Have to admit, last walk through that evil cat people outpost, kinda looked like a Hord camp, so I get what people are saying. But after watching everything about WS, it has enough unique twist to be call as different from WoW as WoW was from EQ1 in its day. Just my thoughts.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

40m raids

well it's been a while since we've seen that.

I'am willing to give it a shot just for that ^^

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Nadia

WOW did not have housing or dyed armor

and none of the questions asked about what players can do at endgame

So...?

World of Warcraft is nearly 10 years old...   back then, it wasn't technically possible to do those things...   thus given all of what we know WildStar is like WoW every day..

Save for those few instances, where technology allows WildStar to implament newer game features.

That said^..   who really wants another WoW..?   Or even remotely close to what WoW provided. Most WoW'refugees have tied everything since and still can't get their fix, why would a game like WildStar do it for them? All that is going to happen is some 2 million people flock to "try the game out" and 4 months later it has 200k and dwindling.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Alberel

But EQ turned into a themepark...  it was a sandbox when it was released.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Phelcher

So...?

World of Warcraft is nearly 10 years old...   back then, it wasn't technically possible to do those things...   thus given all of what we know WildStar is like WoW every day..

Save for those few instances, where technology allows WildStar to implament newer game features.

That said^..   who really wants another WoW..?   Or even remotely close to what WoW provided. Most WoW'refugees have tied everything since and still can't get their fix, why would a game like WildStar do it for them? All that is going to happen is some 2 million people flock to "try the game out" and 4 months later it has 200k and dwindling.

Wildstar may have some WoWish things to it but its far from a mirriored clone. With dynamic landscape that lets them make open world PvE and raids dynamicly change from week to week. With the same tech they have Warplots for player made PvP landmasses you can take to battle. Its far from if you played WoW you know Wildstar. If you think that, you have not taken the time to really read up on what they are doing. Im calling Wildstar the dark horse of 2013.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

So...?

Um, yeah it was. Dark Ages of Camelot had dyed armor and housing. The dyed armor had been implemened for quite some time, while the housing came a little bit later and was a seperate zone where everyone built their houses. Blizzard just chose that the game they wanted at the time didn't need housing or armor dyes.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

Yes, you're right. This is exactly like WoW. Exactly like WoW in the same way that a 1935 Ford Pickup is exactly like a 2013 Ford Pickup. It's all the same, right? They're both pickups. I don't see any difference at all. 

Is it WoWesq? yeah it is. I might even say that the art style is like what I might have envisioned WoW doing if they actually ever overhauled the graphics engine after 2004.

Being that I have 4 level 90 characters and about 3 more level 85 characters in WoW, I can honestly say that if WildStar lives up to your billing, I'll take all the Lore plus updated graphics and combat systems anyday. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by Kendane

So...?

Um, yeah it was. Dark Ages of Camelot had dyed armor and housing. The dyed armor had been implemened for quite some time, while the housing came a little bit later and was a seperate zone where everyone built their houses. Blizzard just chose that the game they wanted at the time didn't need housing or armor dyes.

Yes^

DAOC was made in 18 months and is still one of the best game ever... but it is not a WoW clone, nore "like wow..." in any way.

edit:

Blizzard also chose a wildly different direction with crafting and character hooks, and AI...  the same difference is technological preference as housing, or dyes. Neither had levitation or EyE of Zomm...  because their engine was as technological as the one before them. So the devs were LIMITED by the technology built into THEIR game engine.

-Nariusseldon

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

DAoC was pretty much a 3D "clone" of a previous Mythic game called Darkness Falls which was text based. DAOC was DF remade with graphics, likely to ride the EQ fame.

stands out in the MMO space in its day but was hardly original. was the laziest type of rehash really. "make this use graphics and ship it".

DAoC was pretty much a 3D "clone" of a previous Mythic game called Darkness Falls which was text based. DAOC was DF remade with graphics, likely to ride the EQ fame.

stands out in the MMO space in its day but was hardly original. was the laziest type of rehash really. "make this use graphics and ship it".

Who plays an MMORPG for graphics..?  

Gameplay is what is most important. Graphics should be ebough for the game to be relevant. But with awsome "sets" of armors now in each game (for the time/era) that can turn up the graphics, because everyone looks the same.

Everquest, each of your pieces could be a different color and type of armor... hap-hazard, because that is what you found & scrapped together... not because some dev wanted u to go threw this series of quest, to reward you with "Look at me" armor... that eventually everyone will have. The point was that graphically, EQ illustrated it depth, by having thousands of low quality textures.. that allowed for a mega-diverse populace.

Not today...  everyone is in full sets of equal armor...   but the graphics r awzome..!!

-Nariusseldon

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This wouldnt huet my feelings at all if this turned out to be an enhanced version of wow

Who plays an MMORPG for graphics..?  

Gameplay is what is most important. Graphics should be ebough for the game to be relevant. But with awsome "sets" of armors now in each game (for the time/era) that can turn up the graphics, because everyone looks the same.

Everquest, each of your pieces could be a different color and type of armor... hap-hazard, because that is what you found & scrapped together... not because some dev wanted u to go threw this series of quest, to reward you with "Look at me" armor... that eventually everyone will have. The point was that graphically, EQ illustrated it depth, by having thousands of low quality textures.. that allowed for a mega-diverse populace.

Not today...  everyone is in full sets of equal armor... 

i was just pointing out that DAoC is not an original game, it was a 3D rehashing of previous Mythic title made likely because EQ was so popular at the time. your speech about EQ(however agreeable) is unnecessary.

Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This wouldnt huet my feelings at all if this turned out to be an enhanced version of wow

yea like how RIFT and SWTOR ddin't hurt feelings....in the first month anyway.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

Rift is a success story and swtor could have been very easily. Swtor let the men in suits cripple its potential.

Rift is a success story and swtor could have been very easily. Swtor let the men in suits cripple its potential.

lmfao.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

"Warplots, how will they work on both PvE and PvP servers?

War Plots are instanced, so no difference."

So another game with crappy meaningless instanced PvP that doesn't have any affect on the game world? Another MMO I'll be avoiding.

Originally posted by OgreRaper

"Warplots, how will they work on both PvE and PvP servers?

War Plots are instanced, so no difference."

So another game with crappy meaningless instanced PvP that doesn't have any affect on the game world? Another MMO I'll be avoiding.

No, something new and unique and never done before and we dont know if its crappy. You want open world PvP then go play on a open world server they said will be in the game. It has to be in a different zone then the game as players get to build and design it. Somehow your player/guild made castle/fort you get to take them to war with others players creations. We know nothing more. Funny how fickle gamers are. We ask for something new, but when its given to us we get upset and say it sucks before we try it. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

40m raids

Oh man. People are excited about 40 man raids? Has the MMO genre really devolved so much that such a mundane feature is EXCITING?

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

40m raids

Oh man. People are excited about 40 man raids? Has the MMO genre really devolved so much that such a mundane feature is EXCITING?

I loved the large scale raids in DAoC to get respec gems. Was fun getting together with 40-80 players. How is a large scale raids mundane?

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it. http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

Belive it ot not, WoW is not a bad game. 

Originally posted by birdycephon

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

sure, but copying it wholesales and changing fringe features instead of the fundamental game design is not good. it's guaranteed to bore, no matter how flashy your side dishes are.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by birdycephon
    Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.   http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

sure, but copying it wholesales and changing fringe features instead of the fundamental game design is not good. it's guaranteed to bore, no matter how flashy your side dishes are.

/shrug You never know until you try it.