Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Faction Lock, or Not...

Comments

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

I still don't get the fucking whine, are you pissed because it has the Elder Scroll name? It's like whining over Mario Kart not being a platformer.

Bethesda are still making single player RPGs.

Zenimax Online is making a SPIN OFF.

Is it really that fucking hard to just see it as an MMO? Or are you worried about wasted potential? As if you could just translate the way that a typical Elder Scrolls game is played into an MMO and get some instant success, they can barley handle what they've got no let alone create a stable fucking engine.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I dont even know where you are coming from any more or how to respond to you. A MMOer, TES fan, or someone thats even played the game. 

Are they mutually exclusive?

Originally posted by Sideras

I still don't get the fucking whine, are you pissed because it has the Elder Scroll name? It's like whining over Mario Kart not being a platformer.

Bethesda are still making single player RPGs.

Zenimax Online is making a SPIN OFF.

Is it really that fucking hard to just see it as an MMO? Or are you worried about wasted potential? As if you could just translate the way that a typical Elder Scrolls game is played into an MMO and get some instant success, they can barley handle what they've got no let alone create a stable fucking engine.

I would say wasted potential for sure.

It would be like having a book you grew up with. You hope if the film is made that it gets a good director and a big budget and sticks to the essence of the book.

Then you find out Uwe Bol is directing, due to a small budget they are using props from a previous film and so have to include a big rubber suite alien into their medieval period drama because they don't have the budget for a CGI dragon...

Nooooooooo!

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

I didn’t read all of this thread but I voted the original. My reason is for replay ability.  I’m not a multiple alt maker because I usually don’t like replaying old content (with some exceptions).

The idea of having 3 separate areas I can explore using a different character for each is appealing.  It also increases the longevity and freshness of this game.  I am assuming that each faction area is huge?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I think it's fine the way they have it now.  The only other option I wouldn't mind seeing is having the option to go into enemy territories, but first you have to break through thier realm gate, which would take like a thousand players to do :)  Basically it's like DAoC, but the guards don't 1 shot you at the realm gate :)  If you work hard enough, you are rewarded with the ability to invade your enemies' lands :D  But I'm happy with how it is now.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I dont even know where you are coming from any more or how to respond to you. A MMOer, TES fan, or someone thats even played the game. 

Are they mutually exclusive?

LOL, ok, lets make this simple. This game has been designed from the groud up the way it is. It will most likely effect quests, story, dungeons to make the changes you ask for. So millions of bucks to make this change. If this design is so borken in your mind, you gota see they wont go back to ground zero because of this poll. I have said my two cents to support the devs, so they know we support their great plan and I cant wait to try it. Have fun spinning your wheels.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Depends on how serious they want their factions to be.. Or better yet, what they want their factions capable of doing..

IMO, factions should NEVER be decided at character creation.. You should have to work towards one (like Age of Wushu), but also be allowed to switch PROVIDING you betray your current faction, which should end up being a very difficult matter of KoS and general safety while completing it.

LOL, ok, lets make this simple. This game has been designed from the groud up the way it is. It will most likely effect quests, story, dungeons to make the changes you ask for. So millions of bucks to make this change. If this design is so borken in your mind, you gota see they wont go back to ground zero because of this poll. I have said my two cents to support the devs, so they know we support their great plan and I cant wait to try it. Have fun spinning your wheels.

You say lets make it simple then your first statement is false. They didn't design the game from the ground up. they are using DAOC 3 way realm PvP as a template. From that point onward their design is doomed to walk a path of deviation from TES.

Literally it is that simple.

It is a TES MMO. Did they choose TES games (Skyrim for example) as their template and add things to it or not? If not, the rest of their design concept is flawed. Seeing as they admit they are using DAOC as a design templete the game design is hamstrung frm the get go.

You say lets make it simple then your first statement is false. They didn't design the game from the ground up. they are using DAOC 3 way realm PvP as a template. From that point onward their design is doomed to walk a path of deviation from TES.

It is a TES MMO. Did they choose TES games (Skyrim for example) as their template and add things to it or not? If not, the rest of their design concept is flawed. Seeing as they admit they are using DAOC as a design templete the game design is hamstrung frm the get go.

Than it sounds like this is not the game for you.

Than it sounds like this is not the game for you.

Possible. Doesn't mean I cannot discuss the merits or problems with a game that is currently in development.

Should I continue to make commens after release and if I have not played then rip me apart. But falling back to the argument that if I don't like it don't play it because you have nothing further to offer is not really worth doing. Counter my points but don't counter my right to make points.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm curious, why aren't you guys frothing at the mouth over Camelot Unchained?  Absloutely no PvE, everything is about PvP and it's the true successor to DAoC and made by one of its co-founders, Mark Jacobs.  Why settle for an Elder Scrolls knock-off when you can have the real deal?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

TES = Whatever the hell it wants to be. If they want to release a TES RTS game it's still TES. They could make a TES point 'n' click adventure game, it still would be TES. Or write a novel set in the TES universe, It's still TES.

I agree with you that it's deviating away from a few of the single player game mechanics. But it's still TES.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

CU is years away from release and it might not even raise the money to be made.

If it doesn't how does that bode for ESO?

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'm curious, why aren't you guys frothing at the mouth over Camelot Unchained?  Absloutely no PvE, everything is about PvP and it's the true successor to DAoC and made by one of its co-founders, Mark Jacobs.  Why settle for an Elder Scrolls knock-off when you can have the real deal?

Why would I want to play a 1/2 baked game that does not even have PvE? Camelot Unchained is not DAoC2 as its missing way to much that made that game magic. ESO will have open world dungeons just like DAoC did and added depth with also instance dungeons as well, plus we get 3 faction RvR. ESO is looking more like DAoC2 then Camelot Unchained will ever be. As for Mark Jacobs, it will take more then his name to get me to play his game. IMO CU is almost not a MMO.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    I like open pvp everywhere but im eager to see if it's going to work with locked areas.Probably not but we will see.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Why would I want to play a 1/2 baked game that does not even have PvE? Camelot Unchained is not DAoC2 as its missing way to much that made that game magic. ESO will have open world dungeons just like DAoC did and added depth with also instance dungeons as well, plus we get 3 faction RvR. ESO is looking more like DAoC2 then Camelot Unchained will ever be. As for Mark Jacobs, it will take more then his name to get me to play his game. IMO CU is almost not a MMO.

I agree on both points. For a full fledged MMO you need NPCs because players alone are not enough to create an immersive world. You need roaming animals and monsters that stay in a limited area and hunt, graze etc. Not many players would be willing to do that. More over having PvE as a reward for PvP also gives some purpose to PvP besides mindless slaughter, NPC mobs become a sort of resource.

Also I agree with TESO looking more than DAoC2 than anything. For sure it looks more like DAoC than an Elder Scrolls game. Haven't seen the combat yet but up to now the only Elder Scrolls about ESO is the skin, nothing else.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    With some luck... the combat system could be something like Tera... which would fit TESO

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    With some luck... the combat system could be something like Tera... which would fit TESO

Got to ask but why not have combat like TES games?

Have you even played a TES game at all because your fist area of comparrison is always something else other then the latest TES game.

I found by comparisson the combat of Tera to be plain. The quality of Tera combat aside, why not start with TES combat and if it doesn't work go elsewhere?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Have you even played a TES game at all because your fist area of comparrison is always something else other then the latest TES game.

I found by comparisson the combat of Tera to be plain. The quality of Tera combat aside, why not start with TES combat and if it doesn't work go elsewhere?

Sounds to me you just want an online TES game.

They developed a MMO TES game...

Originally posted by fs23otm

The Elder Scrolls Online.

For the really dumb in the room the hint is in the name, read carefully....

Originally posted by fs23otm

The Elder Scrolls Online.

For the really dumb in the room the hint is in the name, read carefully....

@Maelwydd<;a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Maelwydd"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Maelwydd"; title="View information about Maelwydd" suhlink"="">, fs23otm point is valed. This is not TES, this is ESO. You keep asking for TES but its not that game. You cant make a xbox game thats single player into a MMO just by adding teams. That would be a fail. ESO looks like a solid game by many followers and they picked something that will feel like TES and at the same time make MMOers happy, PvPers and PvEers. That the thing "YOU" are missing. People who loved TES, loved exploring and not getting attacked by players. ESO system they added give that kind of fan a place to play. Then also TES fans that like PvP has something they like to. They are thinking of the fan base as a whole, not just the PvP fans.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So, Interpreting that, Majority want something else besides the current design.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Tayah

It's fine the way they currently have it..worked just fine in DAOC.

Yeah I loved how daoc did it, it allowed people who only like pve to be safe from being ganked. Though there are Battlegrounds avail at lv 20+ in daoc so you can still pvp if you wish. I hope ESO gets rid of the races locked to faction, i'd rather it be like skyrim, where for example human and orc's are the main races in 1 faction, but any race can join them. I also hope they do not seperate pve and pvp gear, have raid gear be the best gear for pvp, like it was in daoc before the make-your-own-magic-items craft skill came in. No one complained about it in daoc.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58

Id say, that pure TES combat wouln't work because of lag in MMO enveronment. You would never hit your target with bow or spell. And i think that only one attack + block + power is pretty bland for MMO.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Deja vu.

Could of sworn we had a faction lock post yesterday, and the day before, and the day before  that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!