Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets figure out why we aren't playing DAoC for it's RvR today.

13»

Comments

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

I actually just played DAoC for the first time in like 9 years today. (Left when Andred closed). I had a lot of fun rolled a new character and did some low level RvR it was super fun. I was suprised how busy the starting areas were.  Killed an orange mid solo it was a rush.

It made me wonder why I quit playing (guild moved to SB, but I felt at the time I was ready for something new). It's still pretty fun at low levels. I have no idea what it will be like at higher levels though. The graphics don't trouble me but  the interface is super clunky I feel like I'm playing with mittens on a bit.

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Still playing
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    One reason: the gear imbalance is completely and utterly inappropriate. 
  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by shaodrin
    Originally posted by Satarious

8v8 "leet" mentality is pretty much all about the farming.  Deep down, who wants to be a farmer in a pvp game?  It gets old.

lol no  ... 8vs8 wasnt about farming its was about increasing your skill in a fair enviroment

this mentality about increasing your skill grew the behaviour of not taking unskilled people into your group (and for some people even speaking with others you dont know) but for any true 8vs8'er it was never about farming other 8man it was allways about that one fight wich lasted 10-20 mins with some nice comebacks where maybe you shaman died so your group had like 0 buffs and still winning and all these kind of situations

but there will allways be this kind of mentality ... zerger hate 8v8 and 1on1, 1on1 hate 8man and zergs and 8man hate zergs and 1on1

its human nature to dictate everyone your own kind of gameing style as soon as other gameing styles affect yours

Sorry, but I don't agree... however, I don't want to debate the 8v8 mentality with you.  What I will say, and I assume you agree, is:

The advent of the 8v8 game precipitated the complete collapse of REALM VERSUS REALM.  8-mans became far more concerned about defeating other 8-mans than with defeating other realms.  1v1 solo dewdz were equally as bad.

The instant a realm-mate complains about another ally killing an enemy, the RvR aspect begins to decompose.  I sincerely hope MJ can find a way to prevent this.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

Originally posted by shaodrin
    Originally posted by Satarious

8v8 "leet" mentality is pretty much all about the farming.  Deep down, who wants to be a farmer in a pvp game?  It gets old.

lol no  ... 8vs8 wasnt about farming its was about increasing your skill in a fair enviroment

this mentality about increasing your skill grew the behaviour of not taking unskilled people into your group (and for some people even speaking with others you dont know) but for any true 8vs8'er it was never about farming other 8man it was allways about that one fight wich lasted 10-20 mins with some nice comebacks where maybe you shaman died so your group had like 0 buffs and still winning and all these kind of situations

but there will allways be this kind of mentality ... zerger hate 8v8 and 1on1, 1on1 hate 8man and zergs and 8man hate zergs and 1on1

its human nature to dictate everyone your own kind of gameing style as soon as other gameing styles affect yours

Sorry, but I don't agree... however, I don't want to debate the 8v8 mentality with you. What I will say, and I assume you agree, is:

The advent of the 8v8 game precipitated the complete collapse of REALM VERSUS REALM. 8-mans became far more concerned about defeating other 8-mans than with defeating other realms. 1v1 solo dewdz were equally as bad.

The instant a realm-mate complains about another ally killing an enemy, the RvR aspect begins to decompose. I sincerely hope MJ can find a way to prevent this.

EDIT: Sorry about double post!

RED IS DEAD!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa
    This is actually pretty fkn important. DAoC is still up and running, with lots of players on the servers that are still up.
    There is a good community with lots of helpful people to guide you to the endgame plus the player guides.

So are older games like Ultima Online, Everquest, Asherons Call, Anarchy Online..Meridian 59...Lineage...

RvR was and still IS highly over-rated and that is why it did not catch on. Making a game, splitting it into 3 and creating a war area closed off from the rest of the world placing a magical barrier protecting the factions at WAR from ever being actually invaded was moronic at best, weak programming at worst.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    This is actually pretty fkn important. DAoC is still up and running, with lots of players on the servers that are still up.
    There is a good community with lots of helpful people to guide you to the endgame plus the player guides.
    It still has the most polished and fulfilling RvR.
    You can level and attain everything through RvR including ToA.
    Most ToA imbalances have been fixed.
    The keeps towers and bridges all got an overhaul and look amazing.
    Classes and races are all unique, most with distinctly different playstyles.
    No bind on pickup/equip nonsense. (99% of things at least)

Yet something keeps most of us from getting back into it and keeps us speaking of it in past tense.

I think we need to figure out why this is the case, because a lot of what is promissed for CU and asked for by interested parties is still perfectly available.

I think its worth figuring out what would get us interested in playing DAoC again. Not only that but getting most of the old guard reinterested in it.

REALM TIMERS KILL REALM LOYALTY

I would still be there - but they let the realm timer shrink to 6 minutes - meaning you can log into all three realms at will in that time - which just EFFS up any concept of realm loyalty - as it was in the day.  Ten mids log - ten albs log in.  Just stinks. 

FARMERS

Secondly, NOTHING is done about massive farming campers at dragons, or some of the better mobs in game.  These guys are in 24 x 7 hours a week in some places - and players like myself just stand and watch.  I recall having to petition to get a turn at the dragon on Alb - because the same farm guild was there day after day.  Nuts -

ORIGINS

They knew we wanted it.  Pages of requests said we did.  The devs even promised it - and then "POOF" even any discussion died in regards to it.  The game is over a decade old - and EA or whatever owns DAoC/Mythic these days doesn't seem to want to give us that much.  That says a lot.

Those are my 3 reasons.

Originally posted by jtcgs

So are older games like Ultima Online, Everquest, Asherons Call, Anarchy Online..Meridian 59...Lineage...

RvR was and still IS highly over-rated and that is why it did not catch on. Making a game, splitting it into 3 and creating a war area closed off from the rest of the world placing a magical barrier protecting the factions at WAR from ever being actually invaded was moronic at best, weak programming at worst.

Wrong.

RED IS DEAD!

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    I would say it's mostly thanks to people and their rose tinted glasses....gamers are just like that, everything that came before is always better. I see people licking wows nether regions over stuff the community cried so hard about in Vanilla...remembering a time before dungeon finders when people had to shout on servers forever...or 60 min+ pvp ques...back then there was nothing but calls to expidite the process...now its all "WAHHHH BLIZZ Y U KILL CUMMUNITY><><><QQ"....I expect it's very similar for DAOC, people remember it fondly because it was new and exciting....GW2 emulated DAOC and it flopped HARD and FAST..rose tinted glasses....

In what way did GW2 emulate DAoC?  I played both - DAoC for years from launch, and GW2 for months - and they are not alike.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

I'm not looking for a DAoC 2, what I would like to see is some of the great things DAoC had being used in a modern mmorpg. I played the game for seven years and here are some of the things I loved.

Alliance - many guilds belonging to an alliance with alliance chat. Through this we organised huge pve raids usually on a sunday and shared the loot at the end. Great for organising relic raids or keep takes.

RVR - running around Emain in an eight man group hoping to bump into another group and have a good fight. Keep taking and relic raids that could go on for days. Relics that gave your whole realm boosts for pve and pvp so it gave reason and meaning to take enemy relics and protect them and your own relics. Three factions gave pvp a real edge.

There are many other good memories about DAoC but it was my first mmorpg so it's a like my first love you never stop loving them :D

Reason for stopping ? it got old and outdated. The controls felt really clunky compared to newer games.

• prognarprognar Member Posts: 12

These days, games top heavy, rvr out of battle grounds doesnt start till 45 or 49 can't remember which, the pve was a grind, getting good gear was a grind but if you made it too end game it was fun in guilds. BG's are probably pretty dead.  rvr was DaoC's end game.  They waited a long time before their graphics update, the game in its current state is pretty dated, they tried to breath life into the game by letting people solo level but it was later on in the games life.

But sinse Camelot unchained, is rvr without, the external pve component ( there maybe pve mobs roaming the wildernes areas), hopefully, what kinda killed DaoC for new players, wont be a problem in Unchained.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

My wife and i played for over 7 years. We left due to her going back to college and us having a small child starting gradeschool. we just got busy with life is all. I tried to go back last year but they had changed  the archery classes basic skills so much i could no longer  enjoy playing my Hib ranger. I did have my ment, bard and champ to play but something just felt lost now.

Our old guildmates where gone to other games and the realm pride seems lost now. lots of crossteaming going on when I returned.

There where also these giant farm groups roaming around ruining everyones fun and a lot of very rude folks( something  that i had never before seen in DaoC.) If they broiught back a basic server or one with shroued Isles I would come back at least part time.

I miss DaoC's golden age more than I can say.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

The small population, and it's elitist mentality.

Even in the Bg's the players are min maxers who get pissed if your a few feet out of position,

and often scream bloody murder if you don't use Vent/TS what ever.(I like to listen to music while i game, and this is a cardnail sin in the opinion of most of them.)

I consider my self a pretty good player back in the day, I always paid attention to my group, tried my best to have good gear,

never complained or raged, but in today's DaoC that just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Having said all of that, I still do play DaoC. Il play for a few months, cancle the sub, and come back 4-6 months later.

Sometimes I have a blast, sometimes... not so much.

I'm hoping that CU will have a good RvR experince, but also have other fun things to do too,(Crafting, town building, animal husbandry,jousting, combat tournaments and more.... Tried to get CSE to accept some work ups I've done but I've yet to hear back from them.

Hey... that's my stapler...

That's the last straw...

I guess I'l resub soon, and see how things are, it's been about 5-6 months since the last time.

• replicantreplicant Member Posts: 46
    Not playing TOA crap. FIN!

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

No one plays anymore because Mythic gave up giving it the proper support it needs. Without proper support from devs / people running the game people will move on and they did.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's just too old.  I played it for 8 years+, I've done everything there is to do.  Killed the dragons, delved into the deepest, darkest areas of DF, captured uncountable keeps and relics.  I have to say it's the 2nd longest time I spent playing an MMO...that's pretty good since I usually don't last 6 months lol.

Edit: I have every single class level 50, and most of them over RR4, and a RR13 Warrior and Hunter

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by CyborWolfTK

The small population, and it's elitist mentality.

Even in the Bg's the players are min maxers who get pissed if your a few feet out of position,

and often scream bloody murder if you don't use Vent/TS what ever.(I like to listen to music while i game, and this is a cardnail sin in the opinion of most of them.)

I consider my self a pretty good player back in the day, I always paid attention to my group, tried my best to have good gear,

never complained or raged, but in today's DaoC that just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Having said all of that, I still do play DaoC. Il play for a few months, cancle the sub, and come back 4-6 months later.

Sometimes I have a blast, sometimes... not so much.

I'm hoping that CU will have a good RvR experince, but also have other fun things to do too,(Crafting, town building, animal husbandry,jousting, combat tournaments and more.... Tried to get CSE to accept some work ups I've done but I've yet to hear back from them.

Hey... that's my stapler...

That's the last straw...

I guess I'l resub soon, and see how things are, it's been about 5-6 months since the last time.

This.

• kturockkturock Member Posts: 16

I quit when the graphics weren't update. [the norse berzerker in 'zerk mode, looked like "rat-boy" in the other realms].

When the changed play balnce from when it was released from the 'game idea' to what all the whiney little kiddies wanted.

Balance went out the window and only 1 realm held the majority of the power along most of the servers.

Bugs that never got fixed after a dozen monthes.

They fixed all their problems by releasing Warhammer Online. Why correct a problem for free, when you can sell a new version.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Slampig
    It still has the most polished and fulfilling RvR.
    You can level and attain everything through RvR including ToA.
    Most ToA imbalances have been fixed.
    The keeps towers and bridges all got an overhaul and look amazing.
    Classes and races are all unique, most with distinctly different playstyles.
    No bind on pickup/equip nonsense. (99% of things at least)

Yet something keeps most of us from getting back into it and keeps us speaking of it in past tense.

I think we need to figure out why this is the case, because a lot of what is promissed for CU and asked for by interested parties is still perfectly available.

I think its worth figuring out what would get us interested in playing DAoC again. Not only that but getting most of the old guard reinterested in it.

What are your reasons for not playing? Or are you still playing? It is not made clear in your post.

Very off and on. I play daoc probly once every 2 months for a few days at a time. Mostly planetside2 now.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    I would say it's mostly thanks to people and their rose tinted glasses....gamers are just like that, everything that came before is always better. I see people licking wows nether regions over stuff the community cried so hard about in Vanilla...remembering a time before dungeon finders when people had to shout on servers forever...or 60 min+ pvp ques...back then there was nothing but calls to expidite the process...now its all "WAHHHH BLIZZ Y U KILL CUMMUNITY><><><QQ"....I expect it's very similar for DAOC, people remember it fondly because it was new and exciting....GW2 emulated DAOC and it flopped HARD and FAST..rose tinted glasses....

Except GW2 didn't fail ... ¬_¬ ...

OP: Good question of wich i do not know the answer too :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Graphically the game has aged well. It still looks beautiful in my opinion, and the character models are still better than a lot of the newer games even if they don't have the most polygons.

But the UI and controls are just way to out of date. It's rather a chore to play it now.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

For me the most important reason for leaving was the archery patch that changed archery to something similar to magic. The old archery system was a pain, especially since anyone with a shield could block everything from 10-20 archers, but the new system made me feel like a test subject for WAR-mechanics.

Also, the communities never received what they asked for: Friars wanted to be included in groups, but received abilities that made them solo monsters. Hunters asked for a boost to wolf-pet to make them significant in a fight, but ended up with the crazy powerful beasts which everyone complained about.

Third, Realm pride was lost with the server mergers. People switched sides in order to get maximum RPs. Some elites even stated that it was not worth logging in unless they earned at least X amount RPs/hour. Many of these complained about zergs, but held no qualms about killing and mocking a soloer.

Forth, CC: The timers were too long at 90sec. Optimized groups could handle them, but if you ran with a pug, you often found yourself standing with two thumbs up your ... until the assist train picked your number.

Fifth, the imbalance between casters and melee. I loved the melee combat system, but casting should have been addressed in some fashion. Buffed casting times got crazy and the damage output.

Sixth, expansions added huge landmasses that added little to the game. Adding a zone like Malmohus with its dragon was great, but there was only a few places in SI (Tuscarian Glacier) that earned their space. To me it would have made sense to add specialized zones to the original map rather than entire new regions.

Seventh, ToA: When a buffed  ML10 summoning SM soloed mobs that took three "normal" groups to finish, the game felt broken. In general, MLs were great for some classes, and nearly useless for others. Also, adding ToA mythology into the DAoC setting just felt wrong.

Finally, NF: The old frontiers felt divided, but each realm held its own special feeling since the keeps were different. In NF, one could easily forget where one were because all keeps looked the same. Also, placement of some of the towers were just stupid. There were a few where the attackers could stand and shoot down upon the defenders.