Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: The Gathering Storm Comprehensive Preview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Today marks the release of new content in Guild Wars 2 - Flame & Frost: The Gathering Storm. We had a team take part in a preview of the new experiences players will find when they log in again. See what we discovered in this, our second big preview, before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

First let’s talk about Spirit Watch. Like most maps the first team to 500 points wins. There are 3 things you can do to earn points for your team. Capture points, transport the orb from the altar in the center of the map to any capture point, and kill other players. It is important to note that you can take the orb to any capture point and score, even those controlled by another team. If you take the orb to a point that you control you will earn 30 points. If you take the orb to a point that is either neutral or controlled by the enemy you will earn 10 points. As an added bonus if you take the orb to a point that is controlled by the enemy you will instantly flip it from their control to a neutral status. This map is all about the elevation changes. Ranged characters can dominate this map. You can get a more in depth look at the map in the video below.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Guild Wars 2: The Gathering Storm Comprehensive Preview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Where is our WvW update?

• Sasori_japSasori_jap Member UncommonPosts: 23

Its coming next month, they delayed it a bit to polish it further

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Where is our WvW update?

They already listed when the WvW update is coming out - I heard March 20th around there. Different groups are working on different parts. The WvW is the most delicate to balance. Please no whining allowed.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Can someone say AMAZING stuff? Because my jaw is too slack to understand how much awesome is in the update. Now all I need is the patch notes and I'll be completely sated.

This is not a game.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I specifically asked them why a SPvP map when it seemed more players wanted WvW changes first. Bottom line is they have two different teams working on it and the production of Spirit did not hamper the production of WvW. It will be here soon (ish).
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    This...this looks very good.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Where is our WvW update?

They already listed when the WvW update is coming out - I heard March 20th around there. Different groups are working on different parts. The WvW is the most delicate to balance. Please no whining allowed.

March 20th....awesome.  Thanks, didnt know this. 

Also, the inf cost is a bit steep isn't it.  I guess they are trying to clean out the surplus of inf the large guilds have.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    This looks great.  Just need to find a guild that will actually log on.  The two I'm in are so casual you can never count on someone to log in.  
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Another idea to be stolen yippy
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Another idea to be stolen yippy

What do you mean?

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by kyssari
    To think I was looking foward to coming back to play again to check out these guild missions only to find out they have ridiculously high influence costs to unlock so that our small guild won't be able to take part in this new feature for a long time, oh well, guess I'm sticking to Vanguard full time :

Don t be sad, it s a good choice on your part.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    hopefully they will reduce the influence cost of at least the guild bounty mission, so that players in small guilds can not only get introduced to the way the system works, but also start to see an increase in guild participation

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Deto123
    To think I was looking foward to coming back to play again to check out these guild missions only to find out they have ridiculously high influence costs to unlock so that our small guild won't be able to take part in this new feature for a long time, oh well, guess I'm sticking to Vanguard full time :

you can join up with any guild(even if you are not in their guild) and do guild missions so ANYONE can get to enjoy the content.. the influence cost and unlocking allows guilds to have more of a "purpose" and something to work for as people have been asking for since launch... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Am very happy with the changes I see.  New content additions (and a very different flavor at that), needed improvements to pvp and viewing items.  I assume there will also be a plethora of other notes that they typically don't include in their high level update pages.  Yeah... no complaints. 

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

let's look how guild missions are...

thanks for TP changes, finally we can see what we getting.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Originally posted by Aerowyn

you can join up with any guild(even if you are not in their guild) and do guild missions so ANYONE can get to enjoy the content.. the influence cost and unlocking allows guilds to have more of a "purpose" and something to work for as people have been asking for since launch... 

Lol, why not just join that guild then. I liked this game at first, but man they have some stupid ideas.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Guild missions sound like filler stuff. And I HATE timed events.

Lol, why not just join that guild then. I liked this game at first, but man they have some stupid ideas.

seriously? Say you are in a small guild and are slowly working on unlocking the guild quests.. You happen to stumble into a guild running one and ask to help out so you can see what they are all about..what's the downside to that?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

seriously? Say you are in a small guild and are slowly working on unlocking the guild quests.. You happen to stumble into a guild running one and ask to help out so you can see what they are all about..what's the downside to that?

Yes seriously, it should be open to all guilds, regardless of size. It s IMO a stupid idea.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Aside from defeating the purpose of having a guild to begin with? nothing.

Yes seriously, it should be open to all guilds, regardless of size. It s IMO a stupid idea.

why not just give exotics and full traits to everyone at level one? Why should anyone have to work for anything? This way it gives all players a chance to experience the content and gives things for people to work towards

why not just give exotics and full traits to everyone at level one? Why should anyone have to work for anything? This way it gives all players a chance to experience the content and gives things for people to work towards

Wow, I know you like the game, but seriously, give it a rest. I never once said they should nt have to work for it, but it s a side thing. Guilds of all levels should have access to new content as it comes out. Why stay in a small guild then. As I said IMO it s a stupid idea. Nothing wrong with working for it, but the costs are way high, and to beg another guild to join them, to see the content, is defeating the purpose of having a guild at all. I like small guilds, and to force me to join another larger one, or tag along is stupid in so many ways.

Wow, I know you like the game, but seriously, give it a rest. I never once said they should nt have to work for it, but it s a side thing. Guilds of all levels should have access to new content as it comes out. Why stay in a small guild then. As I said IMO it s a stupid idea. Nothing wrong with working for it, but the costs are way high, and to beg another guild to join them, to see the content, is defeating the purpose of having a guild at all. I like small guilds, and to force me to join another larger one, or tag along is stupid in so many ways.

they reduced the cost by a lot already and reading the forums they said they will evaluate the costs... One suggestion they are toying with is adjusting cost based on guild size

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    guild missions starting at 50k influence to unlock and 200 influence to start is a slap in the face to any smaller guilds out there and shows you how out of touch this team really is with their own playerbase. As much as I like about this patch this just goes to show you they do not think things through at all and leave anyone not in a mega guild out in the cold. Plus they throw a carrot on a stick at you for 5 gold guild items with a few guild tokens to make it easier for the larger guilds to get the gear . While they preview the new costs of the gear through laurels instead costing upwards of 40 laurels and one screenshot showing 50 infusions... there is over 900 posts on the offical forums complaining about this hardcore in one thread alone and not to mention the backlash in other threads poping up there. Goes to show you they didnt learn their lession like Colin sweared they did during the first event they introduced the new tier of gear. This is why some of us get pissed at this game and think the dev team are idiots.
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Wow, what a tired old argument this is...

I don't think anyone wants stuff handed to them for free..  As a matter o fact, if they did, I'm sure one of the mega-guilds would let them join no questions asked.  image

Would have been nice if ANET had the forethought of allowing smaller guilds to "gate" in at a lower level, with less rewards. We'll get there eventually, i guess i just don't see the logic in it all.