Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

FFXIV will be the game of 2013 my bet!

13

Comments

  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Columbus, OHPosts: 520Member
    Originally posted by bobm111

    Why?

    Well just the fact that they had a disaster with the original and pulled it down to rework the entire game says a lot about square mentality. There history with this title has been inpressive except for the FFXIV original.

    So this will make or break them in mmo world and have a lot to lose if they fail again.

    My tip is they wont and will be the game of the year especially being elder scrolls went the doac way and neverwinter the f2p way. Many like me will be more then willing to pay a monthly sub to explore and entire world as well as all the other goodies square enix is capable of..

    Wish hem the best of luck and sucess in this ballsy revamp and taking responsibility of making a fail mmo right..

     

    Their supposed higher mentality isn't working on the horrible FF games they continually release after 11. It is clear this company has lost the ability to make decent games. Now they are attempting to rework a game that was so garbage it literally needed years worth of work and they're attempting to cram it into 1.

    Good luck to the optimists but if you let them waste your money twice on the same game you deserve to be swindled.

    They rip you off once, shame on them. They rip you off twice, shame on you.

  • GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 775Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Originally posted by bobm111

    Why?

    Well just the fact that they had a disaster with the original and pulled it down to rework the entire game says a lot about square mentality. There history with this title has been inpressive except for the FFXIV original.

    So this will make or break them in mmo world and have a lot to lose if they fail again.

    My tip is they wont and will be the game of the year especially being elder scrolls went the doac way and neverwinter the f2p way. Many like me will be more then willing to pay a monthly sub to explore and entire world as well as all the other goodies square enix is capable of..

    Wish hem the best of luck and sucess in this ballsy revamp and taking responsibility of making a fail mmo right..

     

    Their supposed higher mentality isn't working on the horrible FF games they continually release after 11. It is clear this company has lost the ability to make decent games. Now they are attempting to rework a game that was so garbage it literally needed years worth of work and they're attempting to cram it into 1.

    Good luck to the optimists but if you let them waste your money twice on the same game you deserve to be swindled.

    They rip you off once, shame on them. They rip you off twice, shame on you.

    It's actually been closer to two years since they started development on this new game. They began development in April 2011.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn

  • ZizouXZizouX Burbank, CAPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Originally posted by bobm111

    Why?

    Well just the fact that they had a disaster with the original and pulled it down to rework the entire game says a lot about square mentality. There history with this title has been inpressive except for the FFXIV original.

    So this will make or break them in mmo world and have a lot to lose if they fail again.

    My tip is they wont and will be the game of the year especially being elder scrolls went the doac way and neverwinter the f2p way. Many like me will be more then willing to pay a monthly sub to explore and entire world as well as all the other goodies square enix is capable of..

    Wish hem the best of luck and sucess in this ballsy revamp and taking responsibility of making a fail mmo right..

     

    Their supposed higher mentality isn't working on the horrible FF games they continually release after 11. It is clear this company has lost the ability to make decent games. Now they are attempting to rework a game that was so garbage it literally needed years worth of work and they're attempting to cram it into 1.

    Good luck to the optimists but if you let them waste your money twice on the same game you deserve to be swindled.

    They rip you off once, shame on them. They rip you off twice, shame on you.

    If you bught the original game, you upgrade to FFXIV:ARR (2.0) and does not require a second purchase.  You will also have one month free after release to determine whether you want to subscribe.

     

    I have no comment about your opinion.  Just wanted to correct the clearly factually wrong assertion that SE is swindling your money away... nothing could be further from the truth.... they're offering a new game for free (for a limited time) to those that were "burned" the first time around.

     

    That's a pretty cool gesture by a company whose now trying to do right with the fans, as opposed to what you seem to claim.

  • Scott23Scott23 Moline, ILPosts: 108Member Uncommon
    The first one was so bad I have no interest in this version.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member
    Originally posted by Scott23
    The first one was so bad I have no interest in this version.

    In that case, thread debunked. This game will definitely not be game of the year.

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,968Member Uncommon
    I have low expectations after the first release, but I'll try it none the less... I try every MMO afterall. Hopefully I'll be surprised.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,537Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    I LOVE the B2P player there so smart that they can in one month spend anywhere from 20$ up to 200$ just for gear that in 2 weeks you wont use , or items , or buy gold . Where a Smarter player LOVES Sub fee . Its always the same fee and you can have ANYTHING in game at anytime you just have to go get it. Its the difference really in the entitled person who thinks ill just buy it and its mine why should i have to earn anything . And the Hard working person who says i cant wait to go get this gear , hope the fight is epic and that person earns there gear. A B2P player will spend more in a year then a Sub Player will and a B2P player tends to leave the game sooner because there bored with the game faster because they dident work for anything . Now back to the OP statment i think FFXIV:ARR will have a run for its money Vs Elder Scrolls Online just sayin

     

    This is a horrible comparison between two different payment models.  It's based on entirely bias stereotypes and paints the worst picture for one, and the best for the other.

    In truth B2P could save you the most money if you know how to manage money and aren't an impulse buyer.  At that point you could just support the company by tossing it five dollars here and there or just skip a few months if you want to save money.  What you get nowadays with P2P is essentially an additional barrier to keep the less that reputable players from accessing a game you enjoy.  B2P still does that with it's initial costs, but not to the same degree.

    The worse part about P2P is that you may feel like you have to play to get the most out of your money; you feel like a prisoner in that you have to log in every day to finish this daily or that, and over time you feel like your characters are moreso on ransom for $15 every month than it being for cost of operations and a patch every six months.  Though that's just to compare it to the community you might get with a game that doesn't have a mandatory subscription for its players.  It's also less lucrative for developers as less people would be willing to give it a try (adding value to the game), in addition to making much less money on those who aren't able to control their spending habits in game.

    When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Chickasha, OKPosts: 584Member
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    I LOVE the B2P player there so smart that they can in one month spend anywhere from 20$ up to 200$ just for gear that in 2 weeks you wont use , or items , or buy gold . Where a Smarter player LOVES Sub fee . Its always the same fee and you can have ANYTHING in game at anytime you just have to go get it. Its the difference really in the entitled person who thinks ill just buy it and its mine why should i have to earn anything . And the Hard working person who says i cant wait to go get this gear , hope the fight is epic and that person earns there gear. A B2P player will spend more in a year then a Sub Player will and a B2P player tends to leave the game sooner because there bored with the game faster because they dident work for anything . Now back to the OP statment i think FFXIV:ARR will have a run for its money Vs Elder Scrolls Online just sayin

     

    This is a horrible comparison between two different payment models.  It's based on entirely bias stereotypes and paints the worst picture for one, and the best for the other.

    In truth B2P could save you the most money if you know how to manage money and aren't an impulse buyer.  At that point you could just support the company by tossing it five dollars here and there or just skip a few months if you want to save money.  What you get nowadays with P2P is essentially an additional barrier to keep the less that reputable players from accessing a game you enjoy.  B2P still does that with it's initial costs, but not to the same degree.

    The worse part about P2P is that you may feel like you have to play to get the most out of your money; you feel like a prisoner in that you have to log in every day to finish this daily or that, and over time you feel like your characters are moreso on ransom for $15 every month than it being for cost of operations and a patch every six months.  Though that's just to compare it to the community you might get with a game that doesn't have a mandatory subscription for its players.  It's also less lucrative for developers as less people would be willing to give it a try (adding value to the game), in addition to making much less money on those who aren't able to control their spending habits in game.

    Hum..... i played XI for 7 years paid 15$ a month bought Exp. Packs when they came out and NEVER once felt like SE was holding my Chr hostage . so in 7 years i gave SE about 1,400$ 7 years times 15$ add 4 Exp. Packs i dont feel robbed or cheated . I got all my Abyssea gear , AFv! ,AFv2 , ToAG , Sky , Sea and did not have to pay any extra for any of it and had the satisfaction of getting it all and the feeling of accomplishment .  I wonder how much a B2P player spends on there MMO in 7 years with the every month there is a new armor or weapon pack , new mount that is in no way different then any other mount other then its looks , stacks of potions that there to lazy to craft themselves , buying gold because there to lazy to go farm there own . Simply B2P players are the ones who want to burn to Eg with the gear then say hoo humm that was a boring game dont even know what the story line was , i was to busy buying my way passed things

     

    The reason why SE is having this P2P is one Because its first MMO FFXI is P2P and has been going on 10 years with it P2P . and two SE has no outside investors the game is fully funded by SE. So there is no need to pay off investors like all the B2P games are. The reason there B2P is to mooch more money to pay off there investors . Take Tera as a example it started Sub based then fell on its face and is now F2P with a B2P shop . Why is that ? Because they have to make the money up .

     

    http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

  • free2playfree2play Toronto, ONPosts: 1,868Member Uncommon

    I've always supported this game. The stand alone crafting, the character affinity. The craftsmanship that went in to making it and the quality of the detail.

    It doesn't have that one trick pony sales pitch. If you can see the larger picture, you see the beauty of FF14.

  • LummLumm amarillo, TXPosts: 132Member
    Its going to be great because over the last 2 years it has been developed right along side the FFXIV community that had been playing it this whole time. I cant say enough good things about a dev who has been so vocal with the community to make this an awesome game. Only time will tell how successful it will be.
  • bobm111bobm111 RobertsforsPosts: 153Member

    well i see this thread has taken off onto the f2p,b2p, and subscription based crowd. Each to his own i say.

    However ffxiv will win hands down many people that play to explore craft and pve which at  this point in time is my cup of tea.

    And the reason i will sub is because i want content and updates which will enhance the game And not dependant on cash shops or whatever these companies think is best way to make a buck.

    OFC i am biased in that i played eve online vanguard and vanilla wow which all were sub based.

    Atm playing the secret world while waiting for ffiv.. enjoying the story quite much^^.

     

    I would even play vanilla wow again if blizzard created some servers was fun with 40 man raids to molten core and world pvp..

     

    any way that is the short story

     

  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Their supposed higher mentality isn't working on the horrible FF games they continually release after 11. It is clear this company has lost the ability to make decent games. Now they are attempting to rework a game that was so garbage it literally needed years worth of work and they're attempting to cram it into 1.

    Good luck to the optimists but if you let them waste your money twice on the same game you deserve to be swindled.

    They rip you off once, shame on them. They rip you off twice, shame on you.

    OH NO. really? :(((

     

     

    ^^ Forgot to mention. We DONT care what you think

     

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Originally posted by kartana

    No.

    Reason: Subscription Model

     No.

     

    Reason : has the worst combat system of any MMO to date.

     

    Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

    The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,980Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Originally posted by kartana

    No.

    Reason: Subscription Model

     No.

     

    Reason : has the worst combat system of any MMO to date.

     

    Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

    The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

    For some reason, that doesn't sound all that appealing, think most folks would be hoping for a new, improved combat system that is better than what is currently out there.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • MuruganMurugan D, COPosts: 1,494Member
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Originally posted by kartana

    No.

    Reason: Subscription Model

     No.

     

    Reason : has the worst combat system of any MMO to date.

     

    Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

    The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

    For some reason, that doesn't sound all that appealing, think most folks would be hoping for a new, improved combat system that is better than what is currently out there.

     

    Then you will have to wait until, as Yoshida said, they add more complex systems into beta as it progresses.  Like more of the combo system, the limit break system, more status effects possibly.

     

    All he said was that alpha did not have many of the more complex systems because they want new players to be able to focus on more simpler aspects.

     

    They weren't goign to do revolutionary combat though, that much should have been clear from the beginning if they had risked that this game would likely not have been given a chance by the majority of players.  I'm sure it will lose some people who now only play "revolutionary MMO's" whatever those are, but they wanted to show they were willing to cater to current MMO standards with this rerelease.

  • radeskradesk salvadorPosts: 11Member
    It will probably an "OK" game, goty? Only if NW and TESO really mess it up. I don't remember any FF released being great after Squaresoft became Square-Enix. Btw, they should re-do Front Mission, "FM evolved" wtf? I hope that FF:ARR do not evolve as Front Mission.
  • RaveiceRaveice MellerudPosts: 22Member

    Ohh! ihope so to!

     

    but im sure it will but its gona be good competition,  Many good games expect get out this year.

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Originally posted by kartana

    No.

    Reason: Subscription Model

     No.

    Reason : has the worst combat system of any MMO to date.

    Thought, FF14 was hated by those FF11 players? But serioursly... the combat is "meh" to say the least.

    The combat system has been completely revamped. It's now the standard MMO combat system everyone's used to.

    For some reason, that doesn't sound all that appealing, think most folks would be hoping for a new, improved combat system that is better than what is currently out there.

    Then you will have to wait until, as Yoshida said, they add more complex systems into beta as it progresses.  Like more of the combo system, the limit break system, more status effects possibly.

    All he said was that alpha did not have many of the more complex systems because they want new players to be able to focus on more simpler aspects.

    They weren't goign to do revolutionary combat though, that much should have been clear from the beginning if they had risked that this game would likely not have been given a chance by the majority of players.  I'm sure it will lose some people who now only play "revolutionary MMO's" whatever those are, but they wanted to show they were willing to cater to current MMO standards with this rerelease.

    After spending a great deal of time playing games like GW2 and TERA, I greatly prefer a more turn based/tactical "traditional" MMO combat scheme fully utilizing the Trinity.

  • KanethKaneth Posts: 1,922Member Uncommon

    Despite my frustrations with some of the decisions surrounding ARR, I do hope it has success. If SE can have massive success after revamping completely, perhaps other developers wouldn't be afraid to overhaul some of their own games. It would be a Cinderella story if it turned out to be the best release of the year. There is some decent competition though.

    I have to say though, the benchmark video (which my comp handled like a champ for a mid-range), made me all giddy with the giant meteor spell at the end.

    I do miss the old school ff games from my youth (SNES ftw!).

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

    As for GOTY - impossible due to launch of PS4/Xbox Next as some title from either of those new platforms will win GOTY.

    If you are talking about MMO GOTY, than yeah I'd say FFXIV has a realistic shot.

    Wildstar might be a sleeper hit, but will launch w/o very much fanfaire and hoopla.

    TESO will be the year's big release, but will flop like ever major AAA title since WoW as TESO will not cure cancer, create world peace, and bring about the next great Renaissance.

    ArcheAge wil be a major flop in the West, if it even releases in 2013.

    Neverwinter will have one of the fastest turn arounds in MMO history and make 0.00$ off of 99% of it's players, who probably stay for 2-3 weeks before raging on MMORPG.com.

     

    But if FFXIV RR relaunches well, picks up some good reviews and media coverage, it's got the name (FF IP), the "unique" and sexy story of the pheonix revival, and bring just enough magic Yoshi-P sauce to retain lots of players after a month - yeah, it could be a MMO GOTY contender for sure.

     

  • sanshi44sanshi44 BrisbanePosts: 1,088Member Uncommon
    Everquest Next is another one to keep an eye on, they already scraped two previous builds so there definetly trying to make this one right, make or break situation it seems.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes EdinburghPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

    I don't know what people see in this Final Fantasy game, it just looks like another MMO in a sea of mediocre MMOs.

    Can anyone sell me on it? what does it do different apart from being text heavy and made in Japan.

    image
  • SasamiSasami HelsinkiPosts: 326Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock

     

    But if FFXIV RR relaunches well, picks up some good reviews and media coverage, it's got the name (FF IP), the "unique" and sexy story of the pheonix revival, and bring just enough magic Yoshi-P sauce to retain lots of players after a month - yeah, it could be a MMO GOTY contender for sure.

     

    FF brand hasn't been gold for many years in West. In fact FFXIV flopping first time won't get much hope up in buyers. If they go mess with combat system without actually bringing it closer to norm MMO they will not only fail to impress new players but end up alienating those who liked FFXI, worst case scenario. Square has burned so much cash on this project it has to hit huge which I think it's impossible for eastern MMO, whole industry is having trouble keeping up with western companies.

    If FFXIV stays as P2P for year it's a huge success, but I highly doubt this. Talks about GOTY is just delusional, same hopes that original FFXIV had.

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    The story is shaping up to be an amazing ride, with cutscenes rivaling the best of the best in world of JRPG's.

    Aided by both art style and graphics that are sure to satisfy an FF fan, soundtrack that won't lose to a single player FF, unique and memorable characters accompanying you in the story, and a huge world to explore that FF fans have been looking for for years - ARR simply won't lose to it's single player iterations and as such is a worthwhile experience for every FF fan out there.

    MMO gamers on the other hand will stay pitiful as always. My sympathies.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • nbtscannbtscan Phoenix, AZPosts: 774Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

    I don't know what people see in this Final Fantasy game, it just looks like another MMO in a sea of mediocre MMOs.

    Can anyone sell me on it? what does it do different apart from being text heavy and made in Japan.

    It'll appeal to people that have been fans of the FF franchise over the years.  It'll include many throwback references to the older games in the series while incorporating systems from other MMOs that have proven to be successful, albeit they'll have SE's own spin on them.

    This game will also simultaneously launch on the PS3, which gives people who are primarily console gamers a chance to break into the MMO mold.

    I just want to say that this game will not be a "WoW killer".  It was never designed to be.  It's going to appeal to Final Fantasy fans first and foremost, with people who commonly play MMOs looking for something new to try to be its secondary audience.

Sign In or Register to comment.